Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
0 seconds ago
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
Today at 01:05 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
Today at 12:50 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:06 PM
Mysteries not solved
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Little Houses
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:32 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16960 Topics
301092 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326877 - 06/22/20 07:43 PM seattle - capital hill autonomous zone
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Here Wikipedia on the Capital Hill Autonomous Zone. That was the easiest way I could find to explain it. This was, basically, started by a bunch of marchers over the death of George Floyd. So far there have been only two shootings and one deadly. The people that live there are being constantly harassed and fear for their lives. The police cannot go there without danger, and they actually stopped an ambulance trying to save one of the shooting victims. My daughter, and a friend, bicycled there yesterday - they do not plan on going back. It is, apparently, a "olly olly oxen free" sort of place where the children get to act out and, pretty much, do what they damned please. Currently it seems their goal is to shoot one another. It covers a whole 6 blocks which includes one park. When its finally all over I have no idea what its going to cost to clean it up but its not gonna be cheap. There are also people that live there who are starting to sue Seattle. The Seattle mayor, just turned this area over to the marchers who, in turn, has turned it into pure chaos. Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone is, basically, what happens when nobody is really in charge but many that think they are in charge.

Eventually its gonna have to get shut down and cleaned up. I think the problem is doing that without killing people. Its a really great example of how to take a cause (BLM and justice) and turn it to mud, piss a LOT of people off, lose direction, and possibly get us all another 4 more years of Trump. It is, in other words, A shame......

They tried to start another one in Portland, Ore and were immediately shut down. The difference is that the Seattle mayor seems to spend a LOT of time wringing her hands whilst the Portland mayor didn't screw around.

I don't think there is much else to say about this one. You can google it and there are a LOT of replies. If nothing else it is somewhat educational.

#326883 - 06/23/20 05:36 PM Re: seattle - capital hill autonomous zone [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida

Yeah. Protesters need to go home, they've made their point for now.

Officials need time to address how they can best create change. Pulling down more statues isn't going to speed the process up.

#326887 - 06/23/20 07:26 PM Re: seattle - capital hill autonomous zone [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I think the autonomous zone is an excellent example of going too far. ALL political systems do this, its what they do and one of the reasons for regulations and agreements within the political world itself. When one group goes too far its up to the rest to calm them down and this is one of the problems throughout politics. Right now, for instance, as far as I can tell, the mayor of Seattle, who I watched last night is trying, very hard, to solve the problem with no battles. That's her side, the other side is gearing up for a fight and think they are going to win. They will, of course, if the mayor does it half assed not daring to offend the offenders. If, however, she goes in the with the overwhelming power, that she has at her disposal, I suspect the occupying warriors will cave rather quickly. On the other hand, if they don't ...........

As far as I can tell from history, political parties fail when they go too far and don't correct. This is why we had a civil war! The right refused to change and their stance caused most of the whigs to transfer to the 'new' Republican party. What is interesting is that they just might be doing it again! There is a saying that goes something like; "Change or die" and the Republicans just might be at that stage. Add in their unwillingness to change, adhere to "my way or the highway", etc, So far those that accept some change have formed as a group of Republicans but, eventually, as the existing too far Republicans keep insisting they are right and the world is wrong, and adherents continue to leave, the current group of anti-Republican Republicans just move to form a more congenial, willing to agree sometimes, differently named party.

Its gonna get real interesting if Trump doesn't win - THEN we should get the opportunity to watch them try to figure it out, or not, in which case.............

Edited by jgw (06/23/20 07:28 PM)

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2