Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
0 seconds ago
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
Today at 01:05 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
Today at 12:50 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:06 PM
Mysteries not solved
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Little Houses
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:32 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16960 Topics
301092 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327017 - 06/29/20 08:42 PM Drug prices
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA

#327053 - 07/02/20 09:42 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
As far as miracle drug prices go, that's a pittance. Of course, it looks like remdesivir is not a miracle drug, either. A number of other drugs work a lot better. Even just putting patients on their bellies works a lot better.

I bet most of that remdesivir ends up right next to all the hydroxychloroquine in the warehouse, that the government bought. But I have to credit Gilead for trying to develop it for ebola, even though most ebola victims could never afford to pay $3000 for it.

#327055 - 07/02/20 10:09 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
The US Government has bought every dose of Remdesivir. Probably for the $3200 list price. (just a headline I saw...I got no link)

#327069 - 07/03/20 07:44 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

My point was that WE, with our taxes, helped to develop this stuff and then we get charged too. This is our sad story. Our universities discover and develop and then the drug companies make all the money. this is how its always been, one would think, er, well, then it stays the same. Money, I guess, DOES talk?

#327074 - 07/03/20 08:02 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Funny thing is that we think of American drug companies as fine chemical and biological production facilities where they spend all that money to make the best drugs in the world.

NOPE! Just about all drug production is in India. The same facility that makes a drug for Big Pharma to sell for $30 per pill, sells the very same pill in their own country for 30 cents per pill. Which of course means they charge the American drug company even less than 30 cents per pill, and Medicare or insurance companies drain a huge percentage of their funding into Big Pharma.

Easy to fix: Just pass a law that drug companies are only allowed to have a 1000% markup. I remember back in the 60's when I knew several "unofficial" drug distributors. They made about a 100% markup. Apparently they were in the wrong business!

#327085 - 07/04/20 05:22 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Basically, just about every other industrialized nation in the world controls their drug suppliers. What we are doing is simply insane and should not be happening. This is just yet another example of greed buying our congress with impunity because so many of those who we vote into power are seriously greedy. A really good example of that is Do Nothing Mitch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgCyKmunXM)

We keep voting these people into power and we keep on getting well and truly screwed. Just another thing that makes absolutely no sense, and another reason for the rest of the world to consider us dangerously insane.

#327095 - 07/04/20 07:54 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Civilization has not yet reached the New World.

Every time this comes before congress Big Pharma's money wins.

Big money always wins. Voters be damned.

#327117 - 07/05/20 07:01 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Yep, AND its the fault of the American Voting Public and not the greed of them elected. I think there used to be a group that rated politicians regardless of party affiliation. I couldn't find such so, I guess, it just went away. The closest is Open Secrets but that just reports on who is getting what from who and what, not what they have done in response to the money.

Guess we need a different group to do that, which, would be a good thing, I think. If anybody actually gave a damn and I sure as hell am not putting a dime in that one as its just not gonna happen. We are, in other words, as a whole; fat, happy, disinterested, and just going down the road doing the best we can as long as its effortless and not too offensive.

#327120 - 07/05/20 08:35 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
fat, happy, disinterested, and just going down the road doing the best we can as long as its effortless and not too offensive.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
it's the fault of the American Voting Public and not the greed of them elected

You're blaming the victim here...and giving the fatcats a free pass?

#327131 - 07/06/20 06:45 PM Re: Drug prices [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I am blaming the victims! As a matter of fact I also believe that they are well aware that they are victims and seem to be comfortable with it.

The only explanation that makes any sense. Either that or we are all insane!

I thought I would add a little story to explain. Across the street from me is a large construction job going on. I overlook that. On that side of the street the sidewalk is blocked off and they also park cars, trucks, etc. on that side of the street. So, when people are walking down the street, on the sidewalk, they hit a fence which blocks off the sidewalk. This means that one side of the street has a sidewalk and the other does not. To get to the sidewalk you have to just cross the street. I was just looking down at the street and noticed a man not only walking on the street with no sidewalk but in the middle of that street. The street is a busy one with lots of cars going down the street where the guy is walking. Instead of just crossing the street he yelled at the cars legally going down the street which he was forcing into oncoming traffic on the other side. I have seen whole families doing this, single mothers with kids, kids, and all the rest walking in the middle of a busy street rather than crossing to the side with the sidewalk. When I say something to my wife she tells me I should shut up about it as its not my problem. Today to told her that they are all idiots and they will probably vote for Trump and THEN she will care.

I can go on and on about idiots that I have watched, over the years, a lot of people do incredibly stupid things. So, when I blame whatever on the American voting public I think I have a case. I think, perhaps, that you think that victims are helpless and taken advantage of. I am sure there are some that are. I am equally sure that there are a pile of idiots out there without a clue and, as far as I am concerned mentally unhinged.

Just saying...........

Edited by jgw (07/06/20 07:09 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2