by CPWILL
Today at 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/18/20 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/17/20 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
voters who don't
by pondering_it_all
09/01/20 08:35 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
08/31/20 12:43 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pondering_it_all
08/30/20 08:06 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16994 Topics
302826 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327223 - 07/10/20 09:06 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
We don't lack housing. We lack affordable housing.

Some of the homeless have jobs and families. They just can't afford to rent or buy a home.

Some of them are insane. Many are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Treatment is needed for them more than high tech security.

I saw something a while back about an Orlando developer planning buildings full of 200 sq ft apartments. Hive homes of a sort. I think that's more viable than individual tiny houses, but a lot can be done with modular housing these days.

#327229 - 07/11/20 04:52 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I assumed that we were talking about affordable housing. Sorry, should have said so.

#327234 - 07/11/20 07:41 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I assumed we were talking about housing the homeless.

When all rentals are private and all landlords want to make the most money for the least investment, then rents are going to continue to outrun the earning capacity of the lower tier workers. Like health insurance, like many other things.

New housing is built for the well to do, old housing is gentrified for the well to do. Communities of tent and auto dwellers are growing like the Hoovervilles of yore.

There has been talk of manufacturing tiny homes for them, of building communities of tiny homes for them to live in...But Urban property is expensive and what the city owns they usually devote to projects for the well to do.

Shipping containers would be a good platform to start with.

But there is currently no political will to help the truly poor.

#327240 - 07/11/20 08:41 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I fear that the homeless numbers will seriously increase in the next year. We already have waaay too many to house one (person or family) to a single house. Its gonna take buildings to do the job. That's just the tip of the coming disaster.

As far as I can tell anybody who has been judged positive for Covid-19 is not going to survive without serious physical problems of one sort or another. I watched one doctor note that they started x-raying younger infected and every one of them had scarred lungs and that's just for starters. Given the numbers of infected our entire healthcare system is going to have to be overhauled so that its functional under such circumstances.

Hopefully there are those who are already thinking on this stuff. The trick will be to get it done. If it doesn't then, I suspect, there will be blood in the streets in the not too distant future.

#327245 - 07/11/20 09:34 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I think the high-tech security will be a tiny fraction of the cost to build housing projects, and could solve all the security problems inherent in housing projects of the past. There are a lot of economic things that favor building multistory buildings over tiny houses. Heating and cooling costs, for one thing. Tiny houses have a MUCH higher surface area to volume ratio, so they cost a lot to heat and cool. Big projects have a much better ratio and a lot of thermal mass. Doesn't matter much in Southern California. Huge deal in Chicago.

There is no reason we can't build a project with 100-200 square foot micro-apartments for the homeless. We used to do that all the time: They were called State Mental Hospitals.

#327263 - 07/12/20 05:29 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I'm in favor of the hive home model too. Particularly in areas with dense populations.

We DO need the mental asylums

We need subsidized housing for the working poor too because your average burger flipper can't afford an apartment but somebody's gotta flip the burgers. A house in the 'burbs and an SUV to ferry the kids to dance and soccer is out of the reach of the service staff that those folks depend on to empty their trashcans and deliver their lunch.

#327267 - 07/12/20 06:03 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Its not the expense of security and the problem with the previous effort is that they had no security at all! They just built them and started filling them up and hoping for the best.

Sometimes we need regulation to make something work and low cost housing for the homeless, poor, uneducated, etc. needs regulation and security. If you ask them, and they are not predators then, in that society, they are victims. If you don't believe me go talk to a couple of homeless and ask them. This is not secret!

The secret, I suspect, is that gov will have a tendency to go too far and piss everybody off. They will also have to organize the tenants for some kind of oversight if nothing else.

#327272 - 07/12/20 07:06 PM Re: Little Houses [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
somebody's gotta flip the burgers

Absolutely, and the hive housing would not be the same place as the state mental hospital. The mental hospital is where you go when the Hive Councils all kick you out for crazy obnoxious behavior. The problem with The Projects is when you are unfit to live there, the only options are jail or the streets.

Now more than ever, it's a public health issue: How can you isolate people if they have no place to isolate?

#327281 - 07/13/20 12:53 AM Re: Little Houses [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

The housing projects and the mental/rehab units would be identical buildings, they'd just put a wall around the one for crazies.

#327282 - 07/13/20 12:56 AM Re: Little Houses [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
gov will have a tendency to go too far and piss everybody off.

That's how Perotista feels...that if government attempts to do anything at it will do too much and the party trying to do something...anything...will get voted out and the party most famous for doing nothing will take over again. And then vice versa two years later. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2