by CPWILL
Today at 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/18/20 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/17/20 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
voters who don't
by pondering_it_all
09/01/20 08:35 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
08/31/20 12:43 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pondering_it_all
08/30/20 08:06 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16994 Topics
302826 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327954 - 08/13/20 06:14 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
When one talks about Social Security and Medicare we are really talking about healthcare and, for many, survival! I think what you are saying is that these people are just not interested and believe nothing until it actually happens.

That may be reality, now. They don't believe in Covid-19, if they do they really don't believe in masks, distance, etc. but need proof. Something like their children either dying, or being physically wrecked for the rest of their lives might do it.

#327958 - 08/13/20 07:05 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most voters don't vote on the way the world might become, but on how the world has been. It's sad, but reality. It inspires different reaction in different constituencies: Some fear change, some cynically believe things will never change, some hope for change, and some just don't know. Candidates and parties spend a lot of time working on agendas and platforms that most people never read and few understand.

My biggest concern is the upheaval that would occur if the election is even close to contested. I want the vote to be so lopsided that there is no plausible mechanism or constituency to block the transition. Trump is already laying the groundwork for a coup. That's not paranoia, that's observation. The two months of the transition are going to be hell. And, there will be an active, unprincipled resistance both within and without the government. It's going to be ugly.

#327959 - 08/13/20 07:41 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: jgw]
perotista Offline
journeyman

I agree, no one ever reads the platforms. You have around 60% of the electorate who want the GOP and or the Democratic agenda. Change, but in the direction of the party they belong to.

Then you have the rest who just want to remain in their comfort zone. No big changes one way or the other. Although they're okay with small changes either left or right. But not a gigantic leap. Taking these folks out of their comfort zone makes them angry, then you'll have payback in the form of a wave election.

1994 and 2010 are prime examples of that. They became angry due to the fact they weren't comfortable with the changes. Not comfortable is different from helping or hurting them. But is more or less a knee jerk reaction to a change they don't understand. Better to remain in their comfort zone than to venture into the unknown.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#327982 - 08/14/20 07:22 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: perotista]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I used to read platforms. I don't anymore. I found that most of the candidates, running, ignored the platorm, in one direction or another. On reflection that was kinda interesting and said stuff about the candidate. These days, however, it makes little sense as I find myself voting against more than voting for. trump is an excellent example of that. If I were to vote for him, or any of his minions I would be voting for the beginning of a dictatorship as far as I can see. Right now he runs the Republican party that way and those who support him also seem to fear him. I will, therefore, vote Democratic.

#327983 - 08/14/20 07:31 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

You can count on this one being contested. From what I can see Cohen's new book, for instance, repeats a claim that he made some time ago and that was that this election would be contested by Trump and he is working very hard on that one.

It appears that he has actually accepted that he will be losing the next election and is setting up contested it right now. His first line of defense is mail in voting. There is absolutely no basis but if he can get a suit to be heard from one of his incompetent judges he picked he may be able to keep such a claim in the courts and the results deferred until the courts are through with that suit. We have also been told that he has opened the gates of law suits, right now, over a pile of this and thats.

We are, I think, in for a real mess and possibly even worse than that. Especially when 20 million renters house owners who are thrown out of their homes on a whim of the congress - as far as I can tell, right now, those people are not favoring any party and are wishing a pox on both.

its gonna get REAL interesting! I am considering buying us a house in Mexico, right now, before the exodus starts if it gets as bad as some are saying and real estate goes up in Mexico. I say Mexico because its one of the few nations in the world that will accept Americans.

#327987 - 08/14/20 11:48 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: jgw]
perotista Offline
journeyman

I had planned on retiring to Thailand. My wife is from there. I spent two tours there, 6 out of 10 years in Southeast Asia with the Army and speak the language. But with the kids, grand kids and great grand kids now, the wife doesn't want to leave them. So it's here in Georgia that I'm stuck.

I have many friends that are ex-pats in Thailand. Life would be simple there. But it's not to be.

Trump may or may not raise a stink if he loses. On another site there were plenty of Republicans saying the same thing about Obama refusing to leave. I kind of take all this talk as hyperbole. So I usually don't address it. I do agree Trump knows he's behind and probably will lose.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#327988 - 08/15/20 01:30 AM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: perotista]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Costa Rica was where I planned to go...

I expect a lot of drama and fireworks over the next few months.

Tearing out mailboxes and mail processing machinery to prevent votes being counted seems a little over the top already and it's only going to get worse.

Trump knows he can pull it off too. Who's gonna stop him?

When they said it about Bush and said it about Obama there was no reason to imagine it was anything but a paranoid fantasy.

This president is different. He's genuinely bonkers. And he's actively working to sabotage the election...in plain sight...with no apparent consequences.

#327992 - 08/15/20 05:52 AM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Obama was not facing indictment as hundreds of former federal prosecutors have suggested for Trump. I really think he's going to lose badly, and then spend the time before January getting his future non-extradition country of residence lined up.

Of course, any such country could see his extradition as a bargaining chip for favors from the US. Russia probably would not, but the second he was not useful to them he would be moving to a hole out in the country somewhere.

#327999 - 08/15/20 05:39 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I sincerely hope you are right. I am not even convinced that the post office thing is actually about mail in ballots. Instead it could easily be giving the conservatives just one more wet dream, ie. privatizing the post office! Its just like magic. Wave one hand around where everybody can see it whilst the other is setting up the trick.

As this whole thing unwinds I am getting more and more concerned. Then, whilst it all goes ahead the congress takes a month's vacation! By the time this is all over congress' approval rating will be less than 5% - BOTH parties. Gee, I wonder if there are going to be problems? I would be very surprised if we are not facing something none of us want but will be crammed down our throats anyway.

The Problem, I think, is that we have not used much common sense in what WE have allowed in the name of freedom. Shear lunacy and the bill is coming. There are some things we do know. Our congress is bought and paid for - for a very long time. Our Business leaders think nothing of getting paid 2 to 3 hundred percent of the average employee wage. We fight unending wars and the only ones that gain are the people who make the bullets. We have a failed healthcare system. This list is very long and, for me, that is disgusting. Unfortunately I think the s*** is going to hit the fan, bigtime.

Trump may get overwhelmingly beat but he is already setting up the scenario to question everything and he will have the support of, I suspect, half of America. The police thing alone is going to move a pile of people to his side as the Dems and Progressives continue to talk, on TV, every day about just cutting police budgets by 50% before anybody has even figured out how, exactly the money will be spent. This scares the crap out of a LOT of people.

There are are also a lot of promises being insinuated by the Dems. Bigtime changes. Given citizen faith in a government that claims is functional and competent, whist the rest of us watch it screw up, time after time, is not exactly encouraging folks. It just goes on and on. Think on it. Congress is on a month's vacation. When they are in session they work an average of 3 days a week and one side refuses to talk to the other so, basically, nothing gets done. It just goes on, and on, and on. The richest, best educated, best healthcare and the most powerful nation on the face of the earth - my ass!

I have been told that "Q" is coming and will fix everything. Its estimated that over 1 million people believe this crap!

Hopefully I am flat out wrong.

#328001 - 08/15/20 05:50 PM Re: What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems? [Re: perotista]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Many years ago my wife and I thought of buying a house in Chiang Mai but never got around to it. We had friends that did but they have now moved back to Australia. I still remember the abandoned department store there which was pretty amazing. For no reason we just stopped going there unless we were passing through. Last time we were there EVERYTHING had changed.

I also remember a time when we were being followed by police. I finally walked over and asked if they spoke English. They did. I then suggested that instead of them following us we would ride with them and they could take us were we wanted to go. They agreed, for two stops and then abandoned us. That one always amused me. Had the same thing happen in China as well. We must be very suspicious. Then, of course, there was Soy Cowboy, etc.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2