by NW Ponderer
0 seconds ago
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
50 minutes 0 seconds ago
The reality of herd immunity
by jgw
Today at 05:24 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
The new addition to the Supremes
by jgw
10/21/20 05:37 PM
the Pelosi Stimulus
by jgw
10/19/20 05:37 PM
Senate control during Covid
by rporter314
10/17/20 09:05 PM
At A Time Like This America Truly Needs A Healthy Donald Trump
by pondering_it_all
10/16/20 08:41 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by jgw
10/15/20 09:44 PM
Trump and Melania tested positive for Covid-19
by logtroll
10/15/20 01:42 AM
yellowstone
by Greger
10/14/20 07:19 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
10/14/20 01:40 AM
Trump HAS Covid!!!!
by rporter314
10/12/20 07:07 PM
the Trump Taxes
by Greger
10/03/20 03:01 AM
Do both sides really do it?
by Greger
10/02/20 07:53 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by pdx rick
10/01/20 05:48 PM
How much do police really cost?
by pondering_it_all
09/30/20 08:35 PM
Civics
by jgw
09/28/20 05:33 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by pondering_it_all
09/28/20 02:33 AM
Honesty, morality, and integrity
by logtroll
09/28/20 12:22 AM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
17011 Topics
303622 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 29 of 36 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35 36 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#328886 - 09/19/20 03:54 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: pdx rick]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
and Sen McConnell says .... why should I give a flying frak about your curse .... I got the votes and I will confirm the most ultra right wing partisan judge I can find

gonna have to do better than hope for karmic remedies.

#328888 - 09/19/20 05:00 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Uighur thing really started when some idiots decided they were being picked on and they were extremists and set off a couple of bombs (didn't hurt anybody). That sent a signal that if they didn't stop it in the bud they were going to have a lot of trouble, just like the mid-east today.

The Chinese government is not given to moderation and we all know how that one worked out.

I remember once being stuck in Hong Kong on my way to meet my wife who was with a medical group in China. That was years ago but I learned one thing from that little adventure. The people of Hong Kong didn't understand that they were actually part of China (this was after they took over). I wondered, for a long time, why China hadn't done the Chinese thing and set them right. That's what they did and didn't really amaze me at all, other than it took them so long.

China is a very strange place to a westerner. I have met some who think they are just like us - they are not!

Couple of examples of odd (to me):
There is a Roman Catholic church in Beijing. Chinese couples like to get married there but I don't think it has anything to do with religion but, I think, its an odd social thing (Rome and China have a strange relationship). They have a number of really impressive temples - run by greedy monks who make no bones about that. I won't even go into what they have done with Tibet although I should mention the huge multi story buildings they built to house 'police'. At least they now allow Tibetan children to go to school. (we used to go there a lot but no more).

We also used to take a car from Lhasa to Kathmandu which was interesting. Oh, they also have two base camps for Mt. Everest. One is for tourists but the tourists aren't told its for them (that one always gave me humor). One more thing. I like China and I like the people who, for the most part, seem happy. This is, incidentally, not like Russia!

#328902 - 09/19/20 11:53 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Sen McConnell might actually have a hard time coming up with the votes to confirm a SC Justice before the election: There are a number of Republican Senators who are on pretty thin ice, and a vote in favor of a Trump pick could send them into the frozen lake. Of course, after all the votes are counted and recounted, lame duck Senators would still have a few weeks to do it. They get replaced on January 3rd by the newly elected.

Did you see somebody sent Trump a package with ricin in it? Being the last minute confirmed SC Justice could be a very dangerous career move.

#328903 - 09/20/20 12:11 AM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: Greger]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Collins of Maine has already said appointing a new SCOTUS justice should be done by whoever wins the presidency. Another twist is according to Arizona law, if Kelly defeats McSally, he could be sworn in on 30 Nov. Arizona's senate election is a special election for McCain's seat. McSally was appointed by the governor to fill McCain's seat until an election was/is held. So that 53 is could be down to 51 if Collins remains firm and Kelly wins.

Then there is always the possibility we won't know who controls the senate until after 5 Jan 2021. There's a chance both Georgia's senate races could go to a runoff if neither candidate receives 50% plus one vote. Georgia's special election is a jungle primary election where all candidates regardless of party are listed on the November ballot. So far Loefler leads with 25%, Collins at 21%, Warnock 16%, Liebermann 11% with around 10 other candidates dividing up the rest. This seat is guaranteed to go to a runoff.

In our regular senate race Ossoff leads Perdue by 1 point 45-44 with the Libertarian Hazel at 5%. So there is the possibility that both senate races could go to a runoff adding more confusion to an already confused election.

Mail in voting, SCOTUS nominee, runoffs, plus probably a ton of lawsuits. Things could get very interesting.

Edited by perotista (09/20/20 12:14 AM)
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#328904 - 09/20/20 03:18 AM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Sen McConnell might actually have a hard time coming up with the votes to confirm a SC Justice before the election

Not likely. Republicans have lost what little integrity they had when they continued to support and defend Mr Trump. They fear the TRUMP BASE. It's the horse that brung 'em.

Sen McConnell needs to lose 4 votes from his caucus and right now only Rube Goldberg has an engineering diagram.

#328913 - 09/20/20 01:29 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Sen McConnell might actually have a hard time coming up with the votes to confirm a SC Justice before the election: There are a number of Republican Senators who are on pretty thin ice, and a vote in favor of a Trump pick could send them into the frozen lake. Of course, after all the votes are counted and recounted, lame duck Senators would still have a few weeks to do it. They get replaced on January 3rd by the newly elected.

Did you see somebody sent Trump a package with ricin in it? Being the last minute confirmed SC Justice could be a very dangerous career move.

I wouldn't be surprised if some mentally ill gun-humper provided a 2A solution to this situation. coffee

#328921 - 09/20/20 04:44 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: perotista]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I wouldn't believe a one of them. They have been infected with the Trump honesty now and totally corrupt.

#328922 - 09/20/20 04:47 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

You may be right about the finding of votes if they become convinced that Trump is going to lose big. The problem is if they are voting after the election (lame). That is, I think, when their true colors will be shown to the rest of the world. its not gonna be pretty.

I suspect you are right on the ricin thing.

#329028 - 09/24/20 07:58 AM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Interesting results in Louisville: Let police off for murdering somebody and two policemen end up being shot. I think judges and prosecutors are going to have to think about this: If every time they let a police officer off for murder, they lose one or more police, is it worth it?

Maybe they need to charge the policeman with manslaughter at least, just to satisfy the public that some sort of justice has been done, and as a good example to other police who might be so inclined. It really says something that Breonna's boyfriend shot one of the cops after they broke in, and all charges have been dropped against him. no-Knock warrants are inherently dangerous to both innocent residents, residents of nearby apartments (who had bullets flying by), and to the police themselves. Maybe this incident tells us we need to get rid of those.

#329032 - 09/24/20 12:52 PM Re: RoundTable for Summer 2020 [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
In my youth I thought of writing a satire on mankind; but now in my age I think I should write an apology for them. -Horace Walpole, novelist and essayist (24 Sep 1717-1797)

Page 29 of 36 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35 36 >

Who's Online
1 registered (NW Ponderer), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2