Current Topics
Mandating Idioticracy
by NW Ponderer
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by pdx rick
01:36 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pdx rick
01:36 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by Greger
03:17 AM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by Greger
03:11 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pdx rick
10:13 PM
Tucker Carlson’s head writer outed: Obscene racism and homophobia exposed
by logtroll
09:43 PM
What's the Democratic Party doing?
by jgw
07:05 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
12:47 AM
Mysteries not solved
by pondering_it_all
07/14/20 11:15 PM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by jgw
07/14/20 07:49 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
07/14/20 12:01 PM
Coronavirus - everyone was/is wrong?
by pondering_it_all
07/14/20 04:27 AM
Little Houses
by jgw
07/13/20 07:04 PM
covid-19 cure
by jgw
07/10/20 06:53 PM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
07/08/20 11:07 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16964 Topics
301281 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57737 - 03/24/08 06:43 AM Panic in the pages
mama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Panic in the pages

Quote:
The comic book panic of the 1950s was neither the first nor the last occasion when anxieties about children's exposure to American pop culture got out of hand. Anthony Comstock fulminated against dime-novels in the nineteenth century and the government continues to battle federal court judges over the enforcement of the Child Online Protection Act in this one. According to David Hajdu, author of "The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America," the attack on comic books -- culminating in a sensational televised congressional committee hearing in 1954 -- is particularly important because it marks the birth of the rebellious youth culture of the 1960s. It was over the issue of comics, he argues, that the generation gap first emerged.

Quote:
Then there was the breathtakingly mercenary publisher Victor Fox, whose writers had to beg to get paid and usually got bad checks, a man who "never meant a word he said," according to one source. Stanley P. Morse put out comic books with stories titled simply "Hate" or "Violence" and once remarked, "I don't know what the hell I published. I never knew. I never read the things. I never cared."

Quote:
Others among his colleagues were solid artisans who found fulfillment in comic books after being rejected by more respectable industries because of their race, ethnicity, religion or gender -- like Janice Valleau, who got a kick out of drawing Toni Gayle, a fashion model who solved crimes in her spare time.

Quote:
At the center of the scandal, however, was William M. Gaines, a high school science teacher who was obliged to take up the reins at EC Comics when his father died in a boating accident in 1947.

Quote:
Gaines' nemesis was the psychiatrist Frederic Wertham, whose inflammatory 1954 book, "The Seduction of the Innocent: The Influence Of Comic Books On Today's Youth" made him the most prominent among the multiplying ranks of anti-comics activists in the early 1950s. Both men testified before the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency in April, 1954.

Quote:
Just think how differently the sorry tale of the great comic book scare would have turned out if everyone involved had been a little more grown-up.

"This" "says" to me that "tv and video games" AIN'T [necessarily]WHAT "ails" "our children".

#57747 - 03/24/08 08:25 AM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: mama]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Well, they can be. If parents abdicate and leave their children to learn about morality from TV and video games. Or comics. Or Fox "News".

#57862 - 03/25/08 02:12 AM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: loganrbt]
mama Offline

What "bothers" me is that "many" parents have "abdicate[d]" SOME OF "their" responsibilty to the "public schools" and "the Church" THINKING that "these entities" are MOST ASSUREDLY "TRUSTWORTHY" while "condemning" [nearly] ALL "other sources" of "information" and the "stimulation" of "natural curiousity".

It "seems to me" that "we" have "tucked our children in" using "wet blankets". \:\(

#57864 - 03/25/08 03:13 AM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: mama]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
mama, I only heard about the 1950s panic regarding comic books only this past weekend. I never knew such a panic existed. I just assumed that comic books have always benign as they are today.

#57902 - 03/25/08 01:48 PM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: mama]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Austin, Texas
 Originally Posted By: mama
What "bothers" me is that "many" parents have "abdicate[d]" SOME OF "their" responsibilty to the "public schools" and "the Church" THINKING that "these entities" are MOST ASSUREDLY "TRUSTWORTHY" while "condemning" [nearly] ALL "other sources" of "information" and the "stimulation" of "natural curiousity".

It "seems to me" that "we" have "tucked our children in" using "wet blankets". \:\(

Mama...glad you brought up the school issue. You're absolutely correcto-mundo. Many parents do believe that it's the school's responsibility to instill morals. But the odd thing is, when a child goes home and begins to tell his or her parents about some moral issue, a taint of the pulpit opinion, or maybe a political discussion at school and should those opinions or discussions disagree with the parents' beliefs...the parents will storm to the school to chew out the teachers and admins.

As far as church...now that's a loaded issue. Although your comment to me was certainly within the boundaries of being correct, maybe a lesson (Obama Incident) has been laid out to many Americans about churches (more so pastors, revs., priest, etc) do say things that might not be in line with a parent.

Yours Truly - Gregg

#58035 - 03/26/08 03:52 AM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: AustinRanter]
mama Offline

"Bottom Line"[once again?]-

Do "we" AS A NATION "consider" "brain-washing" "OUR" Children "A BETTER WAY"[?] to "raise them"?

I AM "afraid" that "we" "do".

Being "able" to "read" "the bills" and "adding up" one's "take" IS "a plus",I guess.

[Why do "The Little People" NEED Science? Music? Art? Social Studies? Civics?]

#58111 - 03/26/08 05:22 PM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: pdx rick]
Ron G. Offline

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
One of the more spectacular claims made by that shrink involved the Batman stories. He claimed that the obviously close relationship between Bruce Wayne and his ward, Dick Grayson, essentially approved of and encouraged homosexual relationships.

Twenty-five years ago, the "modern" comic book series such as Elfquest and X-Men, led religious speakers to indulge in hand-wringing about the approval of magic and supernatural powers.

#58120 - 03/26/08 06:18 PM Re: Panic in the pages [Re: Ron G.]
AustinRanter Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Austin, Texas
Halloween has been under attack by the religious leaders since its inception. Oh, and let's not forget the dooming of rock-n-roll. You'd have thought that Chuck Berry was the son of satan by the comments made by many religious figures in the 50s .

All I can say is, "Hail, hail rock-n-roll."

Yours Truly - Gregg

Who's Online
1 registered (Irked), 20 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2