Current Topics
Dodger Fan (short story)
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:15 AM
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by Irked
Today at 02:56 AM
A Time magazine with Trump on the cover hangs in his golf clubs. It’s fake.
by pdx rick
Today at 02:43 AM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:27 AM
Healthcare from the right
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
The Supreme Court's Continuing Trend to Establish Religion
by Irked
Yesterday at 01:01 AM
Worst Case Scenario
by rporter314
06/27/17 06:13 PM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
06/27/17 05:16 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by logtroll
06/27/17 12:53 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
06/27/17 12:16 PM
Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya and Danielle Goyette headline Hockey Hall of Fame's c
by Golem
06/26/17 08:02 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
06/25/17 08:35 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
06/25/17 08:14 PM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15953 Topics
275335 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62451 - 05/11/08 04:22 AM Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 2008
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Happy Mothers' Day! The United States celebrates Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May. In the United States, Mother's Day was loosely inspired by the British day and was imported by social activist Julia Ward Howe after the American Civil War. However, it was intended as a call to unite women against war. In 1870, she wrote the Mother's Day Proclamation as a call for peace and disarmament. Howe failed in her attempt to get formal recognition of a Mother's Day for Peace. Her idea was influenced by Ann Jarvis, a young Appalachian homemaker who, starting in 1858, had attempted to improve sanitation through what she called Mothers' Work Days. She organized women throughout the Civil War to work for better sanitary conditions for both sides, and in 1868 she began work to reconcile Union and Confederate neighbors.

When Jarvis died in 1907, her daughter, named Anna Jarvis, started the crusade to found a memorial day for women. The first such Mother's Day was celebrated in Grafton, West Virginia, on 10 May 1908, in the church where the elder Ann Jarvis had taught Sunday School. Originally the Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church, this building is now the International Mother's Day Shrine (a National Historic Landmark). From there, the custom caught on — spreading eventually to 45 states. The holiday was declared officially by some states beginning in 1912. In 1914 President Woodrow Wilson declared the first national Mother's Day, as a day for American citizens to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war.

Nine years after the first official Mother's Day, commercialization of the U.S. holiday became so rampant that Anna Jarvis herself became a major opponent of what the holiday had become. Mother's Day continues to this day to be one of the most commercially successful U.S. occasions. According to the National Restaurant Association, Mother's Day is now the most popular day of the year to dine out at a restaurant in the United States.

For example, according to IBISWorld, a publisher of business research, Americans will spend approximately $2.6 billion on flowers, $1.53 billion on pampering gifts — like spa treatments — and another $68 million on greeting cards [2]. Mother's Day will generate about 7.8% of the US jewelry industry's annual revenue in 2008. Americans are expected to spend close to $3.51 billion in 2008 on dining out for Mother's Day, with brunch and dinner being the most popular dining out options [3].

Click on the picture!

Today In History~

1816 - The American Bible Society was formed in New York City.

1858 - Minnesota entered the United States of America this day as the Union’s 32nd state. Although its state bird is the common loon, there’s nothing common about Minnesota, whose Dakota-Sioux Indian name means sky-tinted water. The North Star State’s capital is St. Paul, which has a twin city, Minneapolis. The state flower is the lovely lady’s slipper.

1900 - In an effort to regain the heavyweight boxing title, James J. Corbett, known as Gentleman Jim, was knocked out cold by James J. Jeffries -- in the 23rd round. Maybe if he’d stopped at, say, 12 rounds...

1910 - Glacier National Park in Montana was created by an act of Congress. These days, it takes an act of Congress to do just about anything, including getting Congress to act! Thank you.

1927 - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was founded; although the first Oscars were not presented for several years after its founding.

1928 - WGY-TV in Schenectady, NY began the first schedule of regular TV programs. A very short schedule, in fact. WGY offered programming to the upstate New York audience three times a week using the mechanical scanning method. And mechanical scanning was not to be the wave of the future. It was electrical scanning, developed by Philo Farnsworth, that would make television available to the masses.

1946 - Jack Barry, a familiar face on TV game shows, hosted Juvenile Jury on WOR radio in New York City. The show was such a hit after five weeks on the air that it debuted on the Mutual Broadcasting System coast to coast. Maybe Barry became a bit too familiar in 1959. It was Twenty One, the enormously popular show that Barry hosted, that led to the Quiz Show Scandal that rocked television and the U.S. Congress.

1946 - B.F. Goodrich announced the development of the tubeless tire. If you guessed that Mr. Goodrich was from Akron, OH, you win the T-shirt.

1956 - Former heavyweight boxing champion Rocky Marciano went into public relations for the Raynham Dog Racing Track in Massachusetts.

1957 - Monte Irvin retired from baseball at the age of 39, due to a back injury.

1965 - Liza Minnelli opened in Flora the Red Menace. The musical ran for only 87 performances at the Alvin Theatre.

1970 - The Chairmen of the Board received a gold record for the hit, Give Me Just a Little More Time. The Detroit group recorded three other songs in 1970, with moderate success.

1972 - The San Francisco Giants announced that they were trading Willie Mays to the New York Mets.

1981 - Heavyweight boxing challenger Gerry Cooney left former champ Ken Norton on the ropes and unconscious after 54 seconds of the first round at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1984 - The Detroit Tigers defeated the California Angels 8-2 and set a major-league record for victories at the beginning of a baseball season. The Tigers, under Sparky Anderson, won 26 of their first 30 games.

1985 - Duane ‘Pancho’ Carter grabbed the pole position for the Indianapolis 500. Carter entered the history books with a speed of 212.583 MPH for four qualifying laps around the 2.5 mile track at Indy.

1985 - Scott Brayton turned in the fastest lap ever at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Brayton was traveling at 214.199 MPH in the third lap of qualifying. He had already set records in the first two trips around the track. Brayton’s average speed of 212.354 broke the record previously set by Tom Sneva in the 1984 time trials.

Music For The Day~

Click on the picture! Three Dog Night-Joy To The world

Quote For The Day~

Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hushed me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
My Mother.

Anne Taylor

Chuckle For The Day~

For weeks a six-year old lad kept telling his first-grade teacher about the baby brother or sister that was expected at his house.

One day the mother allowed the boy to feel the movements of the unborn child. The six-year old was obviously impressed, but made no comment. Furthermore, he stopped telling his teacher about the impending event.

The teacher finally sat the boy on her lap and said, "Tommy, whatever has become of that baby brother or sister you were expecting at home?"

Tommy burst into tears and confessed, "I think Mommy ate it!"

Pictur For The Day~

Mother and child

Trivia For The Day~

The youngest mother whose history is authenticated is Lina Medina, who delivered a 6˝-pound boy by cesarean section in Lima, Peru in 1939, at an age of 5 years and 7 months. The child was raised as her brother and only discovered that Lina was his mother when he was 10. The oldest known birth mother in the world currently is Maria del Carmen Bousada de Lara of Spain who gave delivered twins at the age of 66 in 2006.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#62454 - 05/11/08 12:08 PM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: Scoutgal]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
 Quote:
1910 - Glacier National Park in Montana was created by an act of Congress.

1946 - B.F. Goodrich announced the development of the tubeless tire

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!
 Quote:
“Start out understanding religion by saying everything is possibly wrong. . . . As soon as you do that, you start sliding down an edge which is hard to recover from. . . .”
-- Richard Feynman

From the Church of Ineffable Stupidity:

a) I suspect Hillary will no longer cite Saturday Nacht Live anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFJTc3oExE
- - -

b) Family Values Congresscritter Fossella (R-NY) to resign
Not even his Family Values supporters will help anymore. How best to prove his religious and moral strengths other than by fathering kids out of wedlock, while campaigning on a Family Values platform? This Family Values Congressmen was one of the most conservative congresscritters from NY, and strongly promoted his Family Values views, even with non-Family Values audiences.
- - -

c) America - the land of the free, home of the brave, with freedom of speech for none.
 Quote:
Three small-town eighth-graders in Minnesota were suspended by their principal for not standing Thursday morning for the Pledge of Allegiance, violating a district policy that the principal now says may soon be reworded to protect free speech rights.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18800444.html

Rumors that the principal was shopping for Tasers to help with the student body remain unproven.
- - -

d) Hillary's team continues to push the Bribe meme
Obama supporters snort in response.

Hillary's top aides continue to spread rumors that Hillary would withdraw, if Obama paid Hillary back the 11.6 million she loaned her campaign.

I do believe that is called a bribe.

Benjamin Franklin

#62455 - 05/11/08 12:47 PM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: agnostic]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
one of the biggest, underreported crimes committed in the US has been the illegal propaganda war waged by the US Department of Defense against the American people.
Such activities are not only prohibited by statute (since when has any statute or treaty ever stopped the Bush/Cheney Admin?) but have been the source of prosecutions in the past.

Somehow, the current DOJ seems unlikely to even consider investigating these crimes.
If you want to get a hint of how organized, how specific and widespread this propaganda was has been, check out the latest Friday Night Docu-Dump from the Pentagon. It should send shiver down your back.

http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/milanalysts/...%20-%205513.pdf

Benjamin Franklin

#62469 - 05/11/08 04:36 PM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
humphreysmar Offline
old hand

Loc: alabama
 Quote:
1927 - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was founded; although the first Oscars were not presented for several years after its founding.

1965 - Liza Minnelli opened in Flora the Red Menace. The musical ran for only 87 performances at the Alvin Theatre.

Celestial pigs doubt the reality of "overnight sensations."

#62476 - 05/11/08 08:04 PM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: humphreysmar]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Anyone seen "Forgetting Sarah Marshall?" We saw it today. It definitely deserves its "R" rating but produced from me some huge belly laughs which I needed.

A Heads Up: Good Morning American will be broadcasting tomorrow from The Space and Rocket Center celebrating the Saturn V rocket that sent man to the moon -- [i] if you believe that nonsense! [/i}

Kathy

#62477 - 05/11/08 08:50 PM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: BamaMama]
Hekate Offline

Saw it last night. It was too long and, while funny in spots, not as good as I had hoped. I dragged my better half to it, hoping it would be a good compromise movie, which it wasn't. Now *I* have to go watch "Iron Man" as payback.

#62491 - 05/12/08 02:22 AM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: Hekate]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Kathy - I've been thinking - I truly believe that the Homestead Monument is much too far for you to come on your trip - when I looked it up I realized it's nearly 6 hours, and I'd be very surprised if you found anything there worth that much time...

I do hope, though, that you've read of the Amana Colonies - an old German communal colony not far from Iowa City -- from everything I've heard that's definitely worth a detour (I've never been there.) They have a website, so you can google them for a look.

(If you do come further west, let me know...)
Julia

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#62493 - 05/12/08 02:54 AM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: Mellowicious]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Julia, We have made the decision that we cannot attend John's PhD graduation from the U of Iowa. Our daughter is closing on her new home and we are hoping to unload our home. So we plan a trip in th e summer to include Nebraska, the badlands, and perhaps Kansas.

I hope we can meet up. This will be more relaxed and we can have a face to face!!!

Looking forward to a good summer!
Kathy

Props to Charles John McKerley, PhD U of Iowa in History who already has a job in Civil Rights Documentation at the Univ of MD in the fall of 2008.

#62494 - 05/12/08 03:05 AM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: BamaMama]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Julia, We WILL do homestead. It is our mission. Stay tuned!!!

#62496 - 05/12/08 03:12 AM Re: Mothers' Day Round Table, Sunday, May 11th, 20 [Re: BamaMama]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Oh! Well, in that case, while you're poring over maps, I have two words for you:

Lucas, Kansas

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2