Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65828 - 06/17/08 06:13 AM Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
1994 - O.J. Simpson, charged with the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, could not be located and became a fugitive from justice. At about 6:45 p.m., police spotted a white Ford Bronco belonging to Simpson’s friend Al Cowlings on a Los Angeles freeway. Simpson was a passenger in the Bronco and had a gun (according to Cowlings who talked to police by phone from the Bronco). Cowlings and Simpson led the highway patrol on a 60-mile, low-speed pursuit through L.A. It was around 8:00 p.m. when the Bronco finally pulled into the driveway at Simpson’s Brentwood mansion, followed by a phalanx of patrol cars. Negotiations with police lasted less than an hour and Simpson surrendered, was arrested and taken to jail. All of the above was covered by TV cameras from helicopters and seen by a world-wide television audience. It was a gripping, if not excruciatingly slow, show.

Click on the picture!

Today In History~

1775 - Question of the day: On what hill was the Battle of Bunker Hill fought? You could answer this one in your sleep, right? Wrong, historical head! A little background: Anger and hatred between British and American colonists exploded into brutal fury at the top of Breed’s Hill (near Boston) on this day. The British charged the Americans three times before finally overrunning and chasing them to -- you guessed it -- Bunker Hill (and it was all over but the whimpering by the time they got to Bunker Hill). The redcoats did win this battle, but it fired up the colonists and they continued to fight, eventually driving the British back to Britain. Class dismissed.

1837 - Charles Goodyear got a patent for rubber, the squishy, bouncy stuff.

1856 - The first national convention of the Republican Party was held in Philadelphia, PA.

1871 - Mr. and Mrs. Martin Bates were married. It turned out to be a tall order for the couple. They both stood over seven feet tall. Imagine the size of the wedding cake!

1880 - John Monte Ward tossed the second perfect game in major-league history as he and Providence blanked Buffalo 5-0.

1912 - Talk about long shots: Wishing Ring won at Latonia race track in Kentucky. Most people didn’t even notice because the horse had been a non-performer until then. A $2 wager to win paid an incredible $1,885.50 for a few, very lucky ticket holders.

1913 - A Chicago Cubs pitcher set a baseball record for the longest appearance by a reliever in a game. George ‘Zip’ Zabel came in from the bull pen with two outs in the first inning of a game at Ebbets Field in New York. George kept pitching until the 19th inning when the Cubs finally beat the Dodgers 4-3.

1928 - The first woman to successfully fly across the Atlantic Ocean did so this day. She was celebrated as the greatest aviatrix of the time. Her name was Amelia Earhart.

1942 - Suspense, known as radio’s outstanding theatre of thrills, debuted on CBS radio. The program kept millions of loyal listeners in suspense for the next 20 years.

1942 - The Army weekly newspaper, Yank, coined the term “G.I. Joe” in a comic strip drawn by Dave Breger.

1950 - Dr. Richard H. Lawler performed the first kidney transplant in a 45-minute operation in Chicago, IL.

1954 - Rocky Marciano successfully defended his heavyweight boxing title by defeating former champion Ezzard Charles.

1969 - Boris Spassky became chess champion of the world after checkmating former champion Tigran Petrosian in Moscow.

1969 - Jazz musician Charles Mingus came out of a two-year, self-imposed retirement to make a concert appearance at the Village Vanguard in New York City.

1973 - Johnny Miller won his first major golf title by defeating the field at the prestigious United States Open.

1978 - Shadow Dancing, by Andy Gibb, reached the number one spot on the pop music charts for the first of seven weeks. Gibb had two other number one hits: I Just Want to Be Your Everything and (Love is) Thicker than Water. Gibb, the youngest of the Gibb brothers who made up the Bee Gees, hosted TV’s Solid Gold in 1981-82. Andy scored nine hits on the pop music charts in the 1970s and 1980s. He died of an inflammatory heart virus in Oxford, England in 1988.

1985 - Judy Norton-Taylor, who played the role of Mary Ellen on The Waltons, saw her good-girl image tarnished as she was photographed nude for Playboy magazine.

1991 - The Parliament of South Africa repealed the Population Registration Act. The law, the basis of all apartheid laws in South Africa, required all South Africans to be classified at birth. It was first implemented in 1950, and placed South Africans in separate categories of race: Caucasian, mixed, Asian and black. Other apartheid laws were enforced according to those categories. The Population Registration Act was the final apartheid law to be repealed, except for the one that prevented blacks from voting.

1994 - O.J. Simpson, charged with the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, could not be located and became a fugitive from justice. At about 6:45 p.m., police spotted a white Ford Bronco belonging to Simpson’s friend Al Cowlings on a Los Angeles freeway. Simpson was a passenger in the Bronco and had a gun (according to Cowlings who talked to police by phone from the Bronco). Cowlings and Simpson led the highway patrol on a 60-mile, low-speed pursuit through L.A. It was around 8:00 p.m. when the Bronco finally pulled into the driveway at Simpson’s Brentwood mansion, followed by a phalanx of patrol cars. Negotiations with police lasted less than an hour and Simpson surrendered, was arrested and taken to jail. All of the above was covered by TV cameras from helicopters and seen by a world-wide television audience. It was a gripping, if not excruciatingly slow, show.

Music For The Day~

Click on the picture!

Quote For The Day~

Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot.
Clarence Thomas

Chuckle For The Day~

TOP 8 MORONS OF 2007

1. WILL THE REAL DUMMY PLEASE STAND UP?
AT&T fired President John Walter after nine months, saying he lacked
intellectual leadership. He received a $26 million severance package.
Perhaps it's not Walter who's lacking intelligence.

2. WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS:
Police in Oakland, CA spent two hours attempting to subdue a gunman who
had barricaded himself inside his home. After firing ten tear gas
canisters, officers discovered that the man was standing beside them in
the police line, shouting, 'Please come out and give yourself up'.

3. WHAT WAS PLAN B?
An Illinois man, pretending to have a gun, kidnapped a motorist and
forced
him to drive to two different automated teller machines, wherein the
kidnapper proceeded to withdraw money from his own bank accounts.

4. THE GETAWAY!
A man walked into a Topeka, Kansas Kwik Stop and asked for all the money
in the cash drawer. Apparently, the take was too small, so he tied up
the
store clerk and worked the counter himself for three hours until police
showed up and grabbed him.

5. DID I SAY THAT?
Police in Los Angeles had good luck with a robbery suspect who just
couldn't control himself during a lineup. When detectives asked each man
in the lineup to repeat the words: 'Give me all your money or I'll
shoot,'
the man shouted, 'That's not what I said!'

6. ARE WE COMMUNICATING?
A man spoke frantically into the phone: 'My wife is pregnant and her
contractions are only two minutes apart,' 'Is this her first child?' the
doctor asked. 'No,' the man shouted, 'this is her husband!'

7. NOT THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHED!
In Modesto, CA, Steven Richard King was arrested for trying to hold up a
Bank of America branch without a weapon. King used a thumb and a finger
to simulate a gun.. Unfortunately, he failed to keep his hand in h is
pocket.
(hellooooooo) !

8. THE GRAND FINALE!!!
Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour
east of Bakersfield, CA, some folks, new to boating, were having a
problem No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand
new 22 foot boat, going. It was very sluggish in almost every manouver, no
matter how much power they applied. After about an hour of trying to
make it go, they putted into a nearby marina, thinking someone there may be
able to tell them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed
everything in perfect working condition. The engine ran fine, the
out-drive went up and down and the propeller was the correct size and
pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check
underneath.
He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.

NOW REMEMBER...THIS IS TRUE.

Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the tra iler!

Picture For The Day~

Frank Lloyd Wright's summer home~Taliesin-Spring Green, Wisconsin

Trivia For The Day~

The Grateful Dead gave their last concert with leader Jerry Garcia at Chicago's Soldier Field in 1995. Jerry died a month later of a heart attack while in drug rehab.

Click on the picture! Grateful Dead-Truckin'

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#65848 - 06/17/08 10:39 AM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
 Originally Posted By: Scoutgal

The Grateful Dead gave their last concert with leader Jerry Garcia at Chicago's Soldier Field in 1995. Jerry died a month later of a heart attack while in drug rehab.

Click on the picture! Grateful Dead-Truckin'

hahaha....
what a way to start the day!
thanks Scout! \:D
(we're going to see Phil Lesh (bass player) in Oct!)

I love Amelia Earhart. For some reason she has always fascinated me.

Re: Georgia boy Clarence Thomas.
Sigh....just about every other year (it seems), he is invited by UGA president to speak at commencement ceremonies. The protests are intense.
He just spoke at ceremonies last month.

Nice opener, Scout. I vividly remember that O.J. police 'chase'. We were in Panama City, Fl. sunning our buns.

Morning everybody.

Olyve

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#65853 - 06/17/08 12:13 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
 Quote:
1985 - Judy Norton-Taylor, who played the role of Mary Ellen on The Waltons, saw her good-girl image tarnished as she was photographed nude for Playboy magazine.

1991 - The Parliament of South Africa repealed the Population Registration Act.

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!

Quote:
“Learning carries within itself certain dangers because out of necessity one has to learn from one's enemies.”
-- Leon Trotsky

FROM THE CHURCH OF INEFFABLE STUPIDITY:

a) secrecy? Who needs it?
For the second time, top secret documents were left on a London train by a government official.

- - -

b) The National Press Club - how the mighty have fallen.

The NPC used provide a viable public service, providing tough, but respectful forums, asking tough questions of people of all stripes. Lately, NPC has fallen on hard times. Look who is now blogging for them: http://pressblog.org/npc/

(hint, he was a make believe reporter from a fake news organization, allowed in the White House press corpse. Second hint, he also ran a gay dating service. Third hint - he claims that Code Pink, those ladies who hate war, well, let me just quote him:
 Quote:
In other venues I have discussed Code Pink and its long history of subversion and ties to terrorists and repressive regimes around the world.

- - -

c) IRAQNAM

Three more US soldiers' lives wasted. The total for the month is now 20. But according to Joe Lieberman, Iraq has never been safer.

In unrelated news, Cleric Al Sadr ordered his troops to stop their 6 month long cease fire, and to take aim against US troops, and only US troops.

In unrelated news, PM Al Maliki pretty much told George Bush to perch on it and rotate, when it came to SOFA (and no, that's not Sculture, Objects & Fine Arts). In this case, SOFA would have resulted in at least 58 permanent US bases in Iraq, and a guarantee that US troops would stay there forever.

- - -

d) Gaza Strip
Five more adults were killed today, when Israeli jets bombed a car in Gaza. Countless others were injured, some seriously. That brings the murder toll to over 500 since last November. At least 7 Israelis have been murdered by Palestinian arms and rocket attacks in the same period.

When will both sides realize that murder begets murder? When will both sides realize that they have both crossed all ethical and moral boundaries? When will both sides recognize that down this path lies more death and destruction?
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/6B7B15A4-E45F-4587-8B5E-48D32585F3C2.htm

- - -

e) Zimbabwe
This man-made hellhole has managed to get even worse. One would almost suspect that Condi Rice was assigned to "fix it" in her own inimitable way.
 Quote:
HARARE, June 17 (Reuters) - Lawyers for detained Zimbabwean opposition official Tendai Biti asked a court to release him unconditionally on Tuesday after police failed to bring him to court to face a treason charge.

Biti, the secretary-general of the Movement for Democratic Change, has been in police custody since he was arrested at Harare airport on Thursday as he returned home ahead of a June 27 presidential election run-off.

MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai, challenging veteran President Robert Mugabe in the vote, was detained and released at least three times last week.

Biti's crime? Mugabe declared that Biti's release of voting results early constitute treason, and are punishable by death.
http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSL17273983._CH_.2400

This week, other opposition leaders' wives have been abducted and burned to death. Most recently, UN food supplies intended for starving children were stolen by Mugabe's forces.

But the story gets worse. Some US leaders continue to support him:
 Quote:
Former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young is among those who still manage to see more morality than malice in Mugabe's rule. "Americans cannot be rational about Mugabe," Young said. "We've always miscast Mugabe. He's a fundamentalist Roman Catholic. ... He doesn't steal."

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/tucker/stories/2008/06/13/tucked_0615.html

Benjamin Franklin

#65855 - 06/17/08 12:50 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: agnostic]
agnostic Offline
veteran

there are rumors on the intertubes that Israel (horrors!) NEGOTIATED with Hamas and has a temporary peace accord in place starting on Thursday.

And here I thought George Bush convinced the world that negotiations don't work.

- - -

Oh, a BIG CONGRATS to all the newlywds in California.

Edited by agnostic (06/17/08 12:53 PM)

Benjamin Franklin

#65857 - 06/17/08 02:32 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: olyve]
SuZQ Offline

Loc: Colorado
While I'm in the neighborhood...A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Reality Bites!!

Enjoy!

#65858 - 06/17/08 02:33 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: SuZQ]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
 Originally Posted By: SuZQ

Enjoy!

Ditto!

#65875 - 06/17/08 05:31 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
 Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins

Enjoy!

Ditto!

Happy Birthday, Reality Bites!!!

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#65887 - 06/17/08 07:11 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
Reality Bytes Offline

Loc: Iowa
 Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
 Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins

Enjoy!

Ditto!

Happy Birthday, Reality Bites!!!

Thanks!

I was going to announce it here, but you beat me to it! And, it is my 50th, although it just doesn't seem like the right number! In any event, let me add a couple more:

1944 - The Republic of Iceland was established - or 'born', if you will...
(Although maybe it's not one of the primary tourist spots on Earth, I'd like to visit someday)

1898 - M.C. Escher was born in the Netherlands.

M.C. Escher is one of my favorite artists, and one of my favorite 'Johnny Appleseed' books (books that I tend to buy more than one copy of, so I always have a spare to lend or give away) features his drawings, interweaving his visual constructions with treatises on logic, mathematics and music - Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter

And, might I add that I feel privileged that I will share my birthday with a day that so many people will treasure as the first day of their legally-recognized marriage, Congratulations to all of you!

Edited by Reality Bytes (06/17/08 07:20 PM)

"Those who will risk nothing, risk everything"

#65892 - 06/17/08 08:25 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: Reality Bytes]
agnostic Offline
veteran

50 solar revolutions? ha, got you beat by one!

GEB is one of my all time fave books.

Benjamin Franklin

#65893 - 06/17/08 08:35 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 [Re: agnostic]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Happy Birthday too to RB.

Quick response requested: I have to renew our Broadway Theatre Package in the next few days. The additional shows which we can purchase are
1. James and the Gian Peach -- I think I'll skip that one

but

Who knows anything about

I passed up "Rent" one year because I misread the application. I don't want to miss a good play.

Kathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2