Current Topics
Dodger Fan (short story)
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:15 AM
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by Irked
Today at 02:56 AM
A Time magazine with Trump on the cover hangs in his golf clubs. It’s fake.
by pdx rick
Today at 02:43 AM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:27 AM
Healthcare from the right
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
The Supreme Court's Continuing Trend to Establish Religion
by Irked
Yesterday at 01:01 AM
Worst Case Scenario
by rporter314
06/27/17 06:13 PM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
06/27/17 05:16 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by logtroll
06/27/17 12:53 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
06/27/17 12:16 PM
Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya and Danielle Goyette headline Hockey Hall of Fame's c
by Golem
06/26/17 08:02 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
06/25/17 08:35 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
06/25/17 08:14 PM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15953 Topics
275335 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75598 - 09/16/08 06:36 AM Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Welcome to another day at Reader Rant! Here's a hearty breakfast to start the day:

Click on the picture!

What ever your preference for breakfast food, a good meal to start the day is essential to fueling the body for what's ahead. Whether bacon and eggs, flapjacks and syrup or yogurt and granola, make sure you fill 'er up and don't run on empty

Today In History~

1908 - General Motors was founded on this day. The man responsible for the beginning of the huge auto-manufacturing company (maker of Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet) was William Crapo ‘Billy’ Durant.

1920 - Enrico Caruso made his last recording for Victor Records in Camden, NJ.

1924 - Jim Bottomley of the St. Louis Cardinals set a major-league baseball record by knocking in 12 runs in a single game.

1938 - Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra recorded the swing classic Boogie Woogie for Victor Records.

1940 - Sam Rayburn of Texas became Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. Rayburn served as Speaker for 17 years.

1941 - CBS radio debuted The Arkansas Traveler. The program was later renamed The Bob Burns Show. Burns played a very strange musical instrument called the ‘bazooka’. The U.S. Army chose the name to identify its rocket launcher, because it looked so much like Burns’ bazooka, believe it or not...

1953 - The St. Louis Browns of the American League were given the OK to move to Baltimore, MD, where they became the Baltimore Orioles.

1960 - Amos Alonzo Stagg announced his retirement from football coaching. He was 98 years old at the time!

1963 - She Loves You, by The Beatles, was released in the U.S. It was the first record recorded by The Beatles; but the second single by the ‘Fab Four’ to hit #1. I Want to Hold Your Hand, was the group’s first #1 song and million seller. It beat She Loves You to the top spot by just a few weeks.

1964 - Shindig premiered on ABC-TV. The program had go-go girls and the biggest rock bands of the day in a dance party environment. Regulars were Jimmie O’Neill and the Shindig Dancers. The first show featured Sam Cooke, The Everly Brothers, The Righteous Brothers, The Wellingtons, Bobby Sherman and comic Alan Sues.

1965 - San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral became the site of the first concert of sacred music presented by Duke Ellington.

1965 - The Dean Martin Show debuted on NBC-TV. It was a weekly variety show that continued on the network for nine years. Regulars over the years were The Goldiggers, Ken Lane, The Ding-a-Ling Sisters, Tom Bosley, Dom DeLuise, Nipsey Russell, Rodney Dangerfield and Les Brown and His Band. The theme song? Everybody Loves Somebody.

1968 - The Andy Griffith Show was seen for the final time on CBS-TV. Sheriff Andy Taylor (Griffith), Opie (Ron Howard), Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier), Barney Fife (Don Knotts), Goober Pyle (George Lindsey), Floyd Lawson (Howard McNear), and the rest of the gang from Mayberry, NC, are still seen regularly on TV through syndication.

1978 - Boston’s album Don’t Look Back ascended to number one on U.S. charts. Other LPs in the top five that week: 2. Some Girls (The Rolling Stones); 3. Double Vision (Foreigner); 4. Grease (Soundtrack); 5. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Soundtrack).

1981 - Boxer ‘Sugar’ Ray Leonard, at age 25, knocked out Thomas ‘The Hit Man’ Hearns. Leonard won the welterweight boxing championship -- and the richest payday in boxing history.

1988 - Tom Browning made it into the history books of major league baseball when he pitched a perfect game. The 12th perfect game in history was a National League match between Cincinnati and Los Angeles with a score of 1-0.

1999 - Hurricane Floyd stormed ashore, pounding North Carolina with 110 mph winds, dumping more than a foot of rain, damaging 12,000 homes and claiming more than 50 lives. Floyd also caused the largest peacetime evacuation in U.S. history, with 2.6 million people ordered away from the shores in the hurricane’s path.

Music For The Day~

Click on the picture! Wilson Phillips-Release Me

Picture For The Day~

The Crystal Lagoon, Bora Bora

Have a great day!

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#75608 - 09/16/08 11:37 AM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Huntsville, AL

Great looking breakfast, Scout. Beats my pop tart! I do have some brea (sp) cheese, apples, and pecans for my late morning snack!

Have a great day all! It's gloomy here.

Kathy

#75611 - 09/16/08 12:40 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: BamaMama]
BamaMama Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Like so many of you, I have been receiving propaganda from all sides on
the political debate (culture war as some
are referring to it). I have really been trying to understand,
appreciate and learn from this experience. So far this
is what I think I know If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're
"exotic, different."
* If you grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, you're a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack, you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
>>>>>
* If you name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* If you graduate from Harvard law School, you are unstable.

* If you attend 5 different small colleges before graduating,
you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become
the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter
registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12
years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State
Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become
chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee,
spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of
13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the
Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs
committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city
council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000
people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000
people, then you're qualified to become the country's second
highest ranking executive.
* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while
raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches,
you're not a real Christian.

* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left
your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're
a Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education,
including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the
fiber of society.

* If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with
no other option in sex education in your state's school system,
while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant , you're very
responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position
in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner
city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's
values don't represent America's.

* If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one
DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to
vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated
the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely
admirable.

As I learn more I will send it on. This is fascinating.*

#75613 - 09/16/08 01:06 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: BamaMama]
stereoman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Asheville, NC
Kathy, that reads like a perfect mass email message candidate.

Nice looking breakfast, Scout. Except for the bacon, of course. I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast today. No fruit. Bananas are still green and we're out of strawberries.
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

#75616 - 09/16/08 01:23 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: BamaMama]
Snargle Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Great list, BamaMama! I send a copy to a couple of like-minded friends...hope you don't mind! \:\)

#75679 - 09/16/08 10:16 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: Snargle]
Schlack Offline
veteran

Loc: Ireland

#75680 - 09/16/08 10:40 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
 Quote:
1908 - General Motors was founded on this day. The man responsible for the beginning of the huge auto-manufacturing company (maker of Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet) was William Crapo 'Billy' Durant.

1999 - Hurricane Floyd stormed ashore, pounding North Carolina with 110 mph winds, dumping more than a foot of rain, damaging 12,000 homes and claiming more than 50 lives.

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!

Quote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
--- Winston Churchill

From the Church of Ineffable Stupidity:

a) John Bush McCain
i. anti-Jewish robo-calls to Florida's large Jewish population allege that Obama is solely, and only, a Palestinian supporter.
ii. minorities and those whose houses are in financial trouble in Ohio are getting false voter information in the mail, liable to cause major problems in November.
iii. Several states are being attacked with GOP mailings, intent on removing valid voters from the rolls.
iv. McCain claims to know nothing about the economy, he claims the economy is strong, then claims he meant the workers are strong, and it was all Barack's fault anyway.

Bush/McCain - four more destructive years, based on lies and deceit. as for his VP choice, her shine is palin and fadin with each day.

- - -

b) Sarah Palin
First, she claims that she will cooperate with the investigation about her firing of the Alaskan director of safety because he treated a State trooper (ex-husband of her family member) too fairly.
Now, she will not cooperate.
The McCain cocoon continues to grow ever thicker, protecting her from interviews as down pillow tough as Chris Wallace'. Her next stop? Sean Hannity. HILARIOUS!
To really take the cheney-like cake, her GOP henchmen in Alaska are now suing to stop the BIPARTISAN investigation about her actions.

- - -

c) American International Grope
AIG, probably the most creative (in terms of accurate accounting) financial and insurance company in the whirled, finally got caught with its fingers in the bank vault. The home of American Home, National Union, AIGRM and hundreds of other countries companies around the world, AIG was notorious for its truly amazing financial documents, always showing a profit. Even in a bad year.

Now, they are reduced to begging 40 billion from the Fed, just to keep their doors open.

I know of, and work with, many struggling families, with $40,000 in debt, struggling to keep their doors open, too. But they don't count.

- - -

d) Lebanon's leaders hold unity talks

Quote:
Lebanon's rival factions have completed the first round of national reconciliation talks set to resolve lingering disputes after a crisis that brought the nation to the brink of civil war.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/09/200891614426390406.html

The untold story? Efforts by Condi Rice to involve George's administration in the discussions, so they could gloat over some even minimal suckcess with their Muddle Yeast Policy.

You won't see it in a US paper, in fact, they won't even report on the meeting, but you can smell the desperation in the White House, as they try to leave some mark in the history books that doesn't start with, "In Another Total Disaster, The Bush Administration . . . "

- - -

e) "My Friends"
I wonder if some GOP honcho told him that the more often that he uses (misuses?) that term in a speech, the more suckcess he will have.

To quote, again, Winnie the Churchill, John Bush McCain has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Although marrying into a decent distillery might sway me in a weak moment.

Edited by agnostic (09/16/08 10:41 PM)

Benjamin Franklin

#75682 - 09/16/08 11:50 PM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: agnostic]
FruityANDNutty Offline
stranger

Loc: SF, CA
What a great list BamaMama! Thank you for being so southernly pleasant and worldly erudite at the same time.

1 minute, 6 seconds for me Schlack, but I am fruity and nutty and know a little wrestling...

#75685 - 09/17/08 12:33 AM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: Schlack]
Snargle Offline

1 minute, 9 seconds...I guess that high school junior varsity wrestling paid off!

#75687 - 09/17/08 12:37 AM Re: Round Table For Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 [Re: agnostic]
Snargle Offline

Originally Posted By: agnostic

c) American International Grope
AIG, probably the most creative (in terms of accurate accounting) financial and insurance company in the whirled, finally got caught with its fingers in the bank vault. The home of American Home, National Union, AIGRM and hundreds of other countries companies around the world, AIG was notorious for its truly amazing financial documents, always showing a profit. Even in a bad year.

Now, they are reduced to begging 40 billion from the Fed, just to keep their doors open.

I know of, and work with, many struggling families, with $40,000 in debt, struggling to keep their doors open, too. But they don't count.

CNN is now reporting that the Fed is going to bail out AIG...to the tune of 80 BILLION DOLLARS! Yikes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2