by rporter314
10:06 PM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
08:01 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Jeffery J. Haas
07:42 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
06:35 PM
The United States v Donald Trump
by rporter314
12:54 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by Ujest Shurly
02:32 AM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by jgw
09/22/18 08:52 PM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16384 Topics
281988 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 11 of 50 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 49 50 >
Topic Options
#78864 - 10/03/08 11:04 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: olyve]
Snargle Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: olyve

Snargle, I LOVE your by line! ;\)
Are you a Dead fan? We're going to see Phil Lesh and Friends in Atlanta Sunday night.

I'm a fan, but not a fanatic...I've developed a taste for their music in the last 10-15 years. I can't say they were one of my favorites during their heyday, but as I've grown in age, girth, and musical eclecticism, I've started to enjoy them in relatively small doses. And as I've been exposed to more of Jerry Garcia's work...particularly his non-GD solos and collaborations...I've realized what an extremely talented and creative musician he was.

I just recently stumbled on that Jerry quote...I thought it was very appropriate considering out current economic and political mess.

#78865 - 10/03/08 11:29 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Snargle]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
 Originally Posted By: Snargle
 Originally Posted By: olyve

Snargle, I LOVE your by line! ;\)
Are you a Dead fan? We're going to see Phil Lesh and Friends in Atlanta Sunday night.

I'm a fan, but not a fanatic...I've developed a taste for their music in the last 10-15 years. I can't say they were one of my favorites during their heyday, but as I've grown in age, girth, and musical eclecticism, I've started to enjoy them in relatively small doses. And as I've been exposed to more of Jerry Garcia's work...particularly his non-GD solos and collaborations...I've realized what an extremely talented and creative musician he was.

I just recently stumbled on that Jerry quote...I thought it was very appropriate considering out current economic and political mess.
Wow, Larry, exactly for me too. They so weren't on my radar back in the day. I've only 'discovered' them starting maybe 8 years ago.
I also had no idea that so many songs out there are theirs.
I was a Dead fan and didn't even know it.

My musical tastes have also 'refined' as I've grown older too. I like it!

Sorry for the divergence y'all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#79064 - 10/03/08 11:07 PM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Joe I checked out the Red Truck today: Looks like a '37 Dodge Flatbed, Grandpa used to have one but it was long ago.
2006 Petite Syrah, organically grown, appellation: Sonoma.
$10.99 at Publix. No freakin wonder you think it's a great $3.00 Bottle O'Wine. One of my favorite Varietals, my very favorite county...........

Did you happen to get your hands on the first release of the 2007 vintage? It mighta hit the market at a price like that.

I shoulda grabbed a bottle for a test drive but I figured there must be a cheaper place to get it.

#79096 - 10/04/08 02:12 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Greger]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
 Originally Posted By: Greger
 Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Parsnips

I love ya, Scoutgal!
Parsnips are one of the "forgotten" vegetables. Almost any soup or stew I cook is gonna have a Parnsip in it. Only one though, these anemic looking carrots pack a serious flavour punch. Sweet, rich, and earthy.
If you don't currently use parsnips in your kitchen try one in you next Rabbit Stew and look at the smiling faces as your family notices that you've kicked it up a notch.
Vegetarians, Just leave out the Bunny!

Awwwww! I love parsnips, rutabagas and turnips, too! I make a root veggie stew with vegetable broth base for my vegatarian friends. I serve it with crescent rolls and salad. It is pretty hardy and so comforting in cold weather.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#79120 - 10/04/08 09:18 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Greger]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Joe I checked out the Red Truck today: Looks like a '37 Dodge Flatbed, Grandpa used to have one but it was long ago.

Greger,

Looks like a 30's or 40's vintage. I didn't even think about that possibility when the label first caught my attention. It reminded me of a 54 Ford F-something or other series. When I was a kid, I drove some 50's- which were even old then- Ford, Chevy, Dodge trucks, as well as some old Mac's with triplex transmissions, so I'm fond of these models. I thought that the truck portrayed on the label was some artist's idealized and romanticized version of an old truck with imaginary grill work. I'm very pleased to know that once upon a time such a vehicle existed. At any rate, whether it was nostalgia or the price, I tried one bottle. I was surprised! It was wonderful!

Did you happen to get your hands on the first release of the 2007 vintage?

Yes. FYI & IMO - Another excellent and yet affordable wine is Oak Leaf available at WalMart (jokingly referred to as Chateau Trailer Park by some of my erstwhile colleagues) for $2.99/bottle. The Cabernet, Merlot, and Chardonnay are decent. Years ago when I was into my Chinese stir fry cooking phase, I used a generic marinade for pork, chicken, duck, beef, and deer, which consisted of soy sauce, dry white wine, and garlic, and learned an important lesson then: don't cook with a wine that you won't drink no matter how limited the budget. You will not be disappointed in any of the above low budget drinking/cooking wines recommendations.

I've learned over time that cooking is an art just like painting or photography and that some of your soul goes into whatever you prepare for people that you like. For example, IMO- tomato sauce tastes better the 2nd or 3rd day after you make it. I add red to the tomatoes to cut the acidity and make it "sweeter," but the question is: how much wine? To my taste, 1/2 cup is enough for my tastes, but it may not be enough for some or too much for others, depending upon whether it's a marinara or you've got meatballs or sausages added. What I'm saying is that it's not a science, but rather what I suspect is "art." Ultimately you rely on your own tastes and hope others find it enjoyable.

Joe

#79121 - 10/04/08 09:36 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Awwwww! I love parsnips, rutabagas and turnips, too! I make a root veggie stew with vegetable broth base for my vegatarian friends. I serve it with crescent rolls and salad. It is pretty hardy and so comforting in cold weather.

Scoutgal,

Try throwing in a small parsnip or two with your mashed potatoes at least once. You may like the addition. Also, I sometimes- when I have them- throw a parsnip into my chicken soup broth.

Joe

#79126 - 10/04/08 11:08 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
What I'm saying is that it's not a science, but rather what I suspect is "art." Ultimately you rely on your own tastes and hope others find it enjoyable.

It is our greatest art, Joe, because it pleases all the senses!
From the sounds in the kitchen of pots and pans, the tearing of fresh lettuce, something sizzling on the stove. The smells! Like the gates of heaven, simmering soups and roasting meats. And who can deny the beauty of perfectly plated food or a joint of meat or fowl well garnished at the center of the table? I use words like velvety or silky when talking about soups for the textures are sometimes as important as the tastes. And finally then, the Tastes! Sublime, and beautiful, evoking memories, making you roll your eyes in wonder that anything could be so good. Yes, Joe, food is art. Some eat to live, I live to eat.

Quote:
I love parsnips, rutabagas and turnips, too! I make a root veggie stew with vegetable broth base for my vegatarian friends. I serve it with crescent rolls and salad. It is pretty hardy and so comforting in cold weather.

I'm a big fan of root vegetables. I wouldn't consider a Chicken or Rabbit stew complete without a parsip. Beef stew gets that and a bit of Rutabaga too or a couple of American turnips.
It's funny I hadn't thought of adding parsnips to mashed potatoes, Rutabaga, yes, and often, it makes them buttery and rich. Rutabaga has to cook separately though because it cooks faster than potatoes.
I cook a whimsical stew sometimes of Seven Roots and Seven Herbs.
Can't count potatoes, they're a tuber, not a root.

#79129 - 10/04/08 11:17 AM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Joe Keegan]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this discussion.
You guys are great.
Even though I tend toward vegetarian, I pick up a lot of tips that have worked well for me. Thanks.

I realize what a dud I am in the cooking department now though.

I've started adding parsnips to my vegetable soup (thanks to y'all) and it's a great addition.
This last batch was really good btw. I've got one more bowl full to finish off (so I won't have to freeze it!).
I'll add some to my next batch of mashed potatoes too (which I make a lot of).

Scout, I know you've got southern roots but isn't it crazy that you cook more southern than I do?

Thanks guys.
I love this thread.

I'll be hanging out in the wine section of the grocery store now. LOL.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#79138 - 10/04/08 01:09 PM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: olyve]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
Some things I do get right: a cup of freshly-ground french press coffee with a dollop of half-and-half (heart disease in my family means cream brings more anxiety than flavor).

I bought a small french press a few weeks ago, very cheap ($12) - it's plastic, but it has a seal around the press which keeps the grounds corralled.

I have not plugged my coffee maker in since - may take it to the salvation army.

I am not a coffee connoisseur, not really even much of a coffe snob. I don't drive from store to store trying to get the freshest beans and I don't spend extra to get the just-right bean. I'm just not that into it.

But this little press makes such rich coffee...Few little things that I buy continue to give me great smiles a month after they've been around. My little press brings a huge smile to my face on a regular basis.

Sorry, but - I have to go make another cup of coffee.

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

#79143 - 10/04/08 02:04 PM Re: Soup of the Evening...... [Re: Mellowicious]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Julia, my days of horrendously expensive coffee have come to an end. I have a good burr grinder though and a little coffee press,
No matter what coffee you use the press makes it the richest and the best that it can be.
If my funds had stretched a little farther I was going to buy a coffee roaster. Green unroasted coffee beans have a long shelf life and are cheaper than grocery store coffee. google Sweet Marias
You can cut the calories even more by using frothed 2% milk

Page 11 of 50 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 49 50 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2