Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87917 - 11/20/08 05:53 PM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: loganrbt]
stereoman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Asheville, NC
Good point, logan. The flannel holds in the warmth from the ground.

Yes, olyve, they will turn red, but they won't be as flavorful or sweet as ripening on the vine.

We tried three different recipes for fried green tomatoes before we found one we really liked. I'll post it as soon as I've cajoled it out of the Head Chef.
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

#87929 - 11/20/08 08:07 PM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: stereoman]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
Ouch Logan!
I wish I had thought of that. I hurt so bad to pull them off.
It's 60 and sunny today

Sounds good, Steve.
Don't forget that hummus recipe too ;\)

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#87986 - 11/21/08 06:15 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: Greger]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Greger
Issodhos, did you have enough to preserve? I love fresh figs right off the tree but Fig Preserves can bring sunshine to the grayest morning.

Not this year, but perhaps next year. It is a Brown Turkey fig which I picked up a few years ago at Jefferson's Montecello. There is a nursery on the grounds which specializes in plants that were grown there during his time. I got an Albermarle Pippin apple tree from there as well and it is also a slow grower. I added another Hale Nathan and Red Nathan (peach trees) this summer and so hope to preserve those if they bear as fast as the Hale Nathan I planted in the summer of 2007 (It bore about 3/4 bushel of large, wonderful tasting peaches this spring).
Yours,
Issodhos

#87988 - 11/21/08 07:12 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: issodhos]
dockside Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western Washington
It's been peculiar in the Pacific Northwest, also. Picked the last of our tomatoes last week. Most of them were rotting on the vine so a lot got dug under. I'm sure I'll have volunteers next spring.

The peas are still blossoming, of all things. I'm going out tomorrow to pick some for dinner. They take forever to mature as the temps are just not warm enough. But, we haven't had a frost yet, so they keep chugging along. I've decided to just let them keep on keeping on to see how long I'll be able to harvest peas.

We haven't turned our furnace on yet. We use the gas fireplace which heats the family room fine. Very cool sleeping, but with comforters piled over us, it's great.

We are in about our 3rd year of drought conditions. We get rain, but not enough. We are at least 5 inches below normal. Hardly any snow on the mountains, either. By this time of year, they have always been covered in snow.

It's all so very peculiar but I'm thinking we're seeing a pattern develop. We'll see.

#87992 - 11/21/08 10:10 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: dockside]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
We just picked the last of our Hass avocados last weekend, so we are eating lots of guacamole, BLTs with avocado, and Feta & avocado omelets. This is the crop that we started picking back in mid-January, so these old-timers have an oil content that is off the chart. You can't buy avocados like these in any store, since they all get picked and to the market before the Chilean Hass arrive starting in July.

We also just picked about 20 pounds of Fuji apples from my sister-in-law's tree. They are small but incredibly sweet.

It is almost impossible for us to get frost, since we are on a coastal slope and the cold air runs down into the valley. (I saw it snow once in San Diego back in 1967...for 15 minutes.) It has cooled off a bit (highs in the mid 60's) a couple of times but we are still getting Santa Ana events: 5% humidity with highs in the 90's. Of course, the big danger during those is the gale-force wind that drives any ignition into a killer brush fire. Fortunately, we have not had much wind at our ranch.

#87994 - 11/21/08 10:25 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
All the fruit sounds wonderful. Nothing here but oranges and grapefruits. I just planted 420 sweet onions though. I think figs might grow here, perhaps I'll plant a tree...

Edited by Greger (11/21/08 10:26 AM)

#87996 - 11/21/08 10:49 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: Greger]
EmmaG Offline

Loc: Florida Piney Woods
Greger, figs grow mightily up here north of you, so you might have a shot at it. There may be a variety for slightly warmer climes.

The deer ate all our chives. They have 4,000 acres of St. Joe land behind us to graze in, but they have to eat our chives!

EmmaG

#87998 - 11/21/08 11:03 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: EmmaG]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Brown Turkish and Celeste figs thrive in the Panhandle.

#88000 - 11/21/08 11:41 AM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: Joe Keegan]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
The soil here is essentially beach sand. If you put your finger on a globe at this latitude and spin it(the globe, not your finger) it will cross every major desert in the Northern Hemisphere(your finger, not the globe)I know of several successful fig trees in the area though so there is some chance that with enough care and fertilizer they might be coaxed to grow. I curse myself for a fool because I have never taken the initiative to plant fruit trees suited to this area. I could always afford to buy it in the past..........

#88027 - 11/21/08 03:16 PM Re: A most peculiar season [Re: Greger]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: The Great American Desert
It's a good thing it was clear, calm, and sunny here this morning, else all your talk of figs and avocados and fresh peas in November?? might have made me resent the twelve-degree cold snap we had this morning.

Had it been overcast and windy I might have had to call down a curse on one or more of you -- but a crisp 12 is much more enjoyable than a blowy, sleety 12, so you lucked out.

But I can see it's going to be a long winter with "all y'all" around...sigh.

Curiosity killed the cat - Satisfaction brought it back

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2