by chunkstyle
Yesterday at 09:07 PM
RoundTable for Fall 2019
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 04:02 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
The Trump/Biden/Ukraine thing
by pdx rick
10/12/19 06:38 PM
The Departed - 2019
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/12/19 04:51 AM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
Hyper-partisanship and irrationality
by NW Ponderer
10/10/19 04:10 AM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
NRA acted as "foreign asset" for Russia ahead of 2016 election, Senate report cl
by Greger
10/07/19 02:19 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by jgw
10/06/19 08:05 PM
Quinnipiac Loves Liz Warren
by perotista
10/03/19 02:46 PM
Fixing Social Security
by jgw
10/02/19 07:58 PM
Here we go again!
by jgw
10/02/19 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16710 Topics
290698 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88977 - 11/29/08 04:40 AM Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING, EVERYBODY!!

there is pie leftover just for you
I hope you're all not still too full!

A SHAMEFUL EVENT ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY...

1864 - The Sand Creek Massacre (also called the Chivington massacre) occurred in Colorado when a militia led by Colonel John Chivington, killed at least 400 peaceful Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians who had surrendered and had been given permission to camp.
Believing themselves under protection of the U.S. Army, Black Kettle directed the warriors to hunt buffalo to feed the tribes as they moved toward Oklahoma. Black Kettle flew both a U.S. flag and a white flag to demonstrate this as a peaceful encampment. Neither helped in the early hours of November 29, 1864.
snip

Chivington took his force of mounted cavalry men, foot soldiers, and cannon, and attacked at dawn on November 29.
The warriors of the tribes were away, hunting buffalo. The surprise attack by artillery shelling, riflemen on horseback, & riflemen on foot against women, children, & old men was devastating. Something like 180 or more were killed. The bodies were scalped and mutilated in other ways, some of the mutilations too disgusting to mention here. 9 or 10 whites were killed and a few dozen wounded. The troops triumphantly returned to Denver and displayed scalp and mutilated body parts in Denver's Apollo Theater, to great acclaim. This was heralded throughout the country in the newspapers as a victory over a brave, fighting opponent, but that perception quickly changed.
Chivington publicly stated in his lifetime that any means used to slaughter Indians was acceptable. He certainly demonstrated the strength of his convictions through his actions. link

Quote:
"Colonel John Milton Chivington of the Colorado Militia, previously a Methodist minister, regarded the Indians with hatred. "I have come to kill Indians," he is known to have said, "and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians."

Col. John M. Chivington at Camp Weld with Black Kettle and his men (before the slaughter of course).... Courtesy of Colorado Historical Society.

May we never forget these horrible events in our nation's history.

MORE ON THIS DAY...

1890 - Navy defeated Army by a score of 24-0 in the first Army-Navy football game. The game was played at West Point, NY.

1929 - The first airplane flight over the South Pole was made by U.S. Navy Lt. Comdr. Richard E. Byrd.

1947 - The U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution that called for the division of Palestine between Arabs and Jews.

1963 - A Trans-Canada Airlines DC-8F with 111 passengers and 7 crew members crashed in woods north of Montreal 4 minutes after takeoff from Dorval Airport. All aboard were killed. The crash was the worst in Canada's history.

1963 - U.S. President Johnson named a commission headed by Earl Warren to investigate the assassination of President Kennedy.

1967 - U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara announced that he was leaving the Johnson administration to become president of the World Bank.

1974 - In Britain, a bill that outlawed the Irish Republican Army became effective.

1975 - Bill Gates adopted the name Microsoft for the company he and Paul Allen had formed to write the BASIC computer language for the Altair.

1981 - Actress Natalie Wood drowned in a boating accident off Santa Catalina Island, CA, at the age 43.

1982 - The U.N. General Assembly voted that the Soviet Union should withdraw its troops from Afghanistan.

1986- Actor Cary Grant died at the age of 82.

1987 - A Korean jetliner disappeared off Burma, with 115 people aboard.

1988 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the rights of criminal defendants are not violated when police unintentionally fail to preserve potentially vital evidence.

1990 - The U.N. Security Council voted to authorize military action if Iraq did not withdraw its troops from Kuwait and release all foreign hostages by January 15, 1991.

1991 - 17 people were killed in a 164-vehicle wreck during a dust storm near Coalinga, CA, on Interstate 5.

1994 - The U.S. House passed the revised General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.

1996 - A U.N. court sentenced Bosnian Serb army soldier Drazen Erdemovic to 10 years in prison for his role in the massacre of 1,200 Muslims. The sentence was the first international war crimes sentence since World War II.

1998 - Swiss voters overwhelmingly rejected legalizing heroin and other narcotics.

2004 - The French government announced plans to build the Louvre II in northern France. The 236,808 square foot museum was the planned home for 500-600 works from the Louvre's reserves.

2004 - Godzilla received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

MUSIC FOR THE DAY...

1963 - The Beatles' fifth single "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was released in Britain.

click on the picture! \:\)

BIRTHDAY PICKS FOR NOVEMBER 29...

1607 - John Harvard
clergyman, scholar: Harvard College named for him; died Sep 14, 1638

1832 - Louisa May Alcott
author: Little Women; died Mar 6, 1888

1927 - Vin Scully
radio/TV sportscaster: Los Angeles Dodgers

Is THIS what it is like out there? \:o

HAVE A GREAT DAY Y'ALL!
(I'm staying home!)

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#88987 - 11/29/08 11:58 AM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: olyve]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
stereoman, nice new "do" - I hardly recognized you! \:D

#88988 - 11/29/08 12:05 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Hundreds killed in terrorist attacks in Mumbai; meanwhile hundreds kill a Wal*Mart employee while trying to fill their Christmas lists.

What's the profile of a terrorist again? Oh yeah...some terrorists are armed with guns - other terrorists are armed with shopping lists.

#88989 - 11/29/08 12:09 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: olyve]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

I'll bet a dozen donuts that those ladies used credit cards for those purchases.

#88990 - 11/29/08 12:25 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: olyve]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Good Morning Folks! Great opener Olyve! I'm glad we talked about the Massacre over in another thread, it's too depressing for the Roundtable! Hey did anyone else get to listen to Arlo Guthrie's
Alices Restaurant at noon on Turkeyday?

#88995 - 11/29/08 01:48 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: olyve]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
 Quote:
1975 - Bill Gates adopted the name Microsoft for the company he and Paul Allen had formed to write the BASIC computer language for the Altair.

2004 - Godzilla received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Quote:
"It's the most disgusting failure of people in our business since the Iraq war. It was extreme bias, extreme pro-Obama coverage."
Mark Halperin, oblivious idiot, Time CON-tributor, moron.

FROM THE CHURCH OF INEFFABLE STUPIDITY:

a) If you are a breast man, beware.
NO, we are not talking turkey here, folks.

Quote:
Drug-smeared boobs knock out robbed men
UGANDA'S police warned male bar-goers to keep their noses clean after a probe found a gang of robbers had been using women with chloroform smeared on their chests to knock their victims unconscious.
"They apply this chemical to their chest. We have found victims in an unconscious state," Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) spokesman Fred Enanga said.

"You find the person stripped totally naked and everything is taken from him," he said.

"And the victim doesn't remember anything. He just remembers being in the act of romancing."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24723591-5005961,00.html

So, the act of romancing in Uganda apparently involves sticking your face between your romance target's tits. Hmmm. Must be a local custom.
- - -

B) Ho ho ho!
X-mas is DOES offer some interesting tools:
 Quote:
A man using a candy cane lawn ornament fended off a knife-wielding neighbor who had been attacking holiday guests at a Sacramento home. Police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong says the man used the two-foot-tall plastic ornament to subdue the attacker until officers arrived.

He says the 49-year-old suspect became intoxicated, went over to a neighbor's home on Thanksgiving and began waving a kitchen knife at people gathered on the lawn.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/28/state/n141304S02.DTL

c) OIL to rise next month
 Quote:
CAIRO, Egypt Saudi Arabia's king says the price of oil should be $75 a barrel, much higher than it is now, but his oil minister indicated Saturday that no measures will likely be taken until OPEC meets again next month.

Saudi Oil Minister Ali Naimi said that the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries will "do what needs to be done" to shore up falling oil prices when the group meets Dec. 17 in Algeria, but for now it was "too early."

Other ministers at the hastily convened OPEC meeting in Cairo did not entirely rule out cuts, including Libyan oil official, Shokri Ghanem, who, ahead of the meeting, said "all options are open."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/29/saudi-king-oil-prices-sho_n_147070.html

Perfect. After stifling the economy with prices near $150 a barrel, and now with a wrecked global credit and financial disaster, the best thing would be an increase in energy prices.
- - -

d) Gov. Bloggo - "Be nice to convicted Illinois Governors?"
 Quote:
OK, psychology majors, let's think about this. The governor of the state of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arguing for mercy for the former and imprisoned governor of the state of Illinois, George Ryan.

As FBI agents and U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald circle their wagons in Operation Board Games ever more tightly around the Blagojevich administration, suddenly this governor feels the pain of another.

-----
Federal authorities have methodically marched across the alphabet, identifying Blagojevich friends, associates and appointees by a letter rather than a name as they press their investigation. Blagojevich, in court filings, is Public Official A. He has not been charged with any crime. (YET)
-----
The list is even longer, but the shortened version makes the point well enough. Prison -- beyond Ryan's plight -- must be very much on the governor's mind, given the growing list of people he knows who are ending up there.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/marin/1305598,CST-EDT-carol30.article

http://snipurl.com/6xlcb

Poor Bloggo. The list of his cohorts and pay-to-play criminals grows longer each week.
Of course, the 138 convicted felons employed by Ronald Reagan still remains the acme of criminal wrong-doing by a politician and his staff, but Bloggo and Bush are doing their very best to meet and exceed Reagan's dubious record.

Benjamin Franklin

#88996 - 11/29/08 02:03 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: pdx rick]
stereoman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Asheville, NC
What a gorgeous sunrise photo, olyve! Are you responsible for that? And Natalie Wood, what a gorgeous woman! Lots of eye candy today (I'm also a Godzilla fan - more for the song than the movies). I enjoyed the cartoon as well - maybe Mr Bolling has been inspired by our discussions here. Or, maybe similar sentiments are being aired widely.

Originally Posted By: Greger
Hey did anyone else get to listen to Arlo Guthrie's Alices Restaurant at noon on Turkeyday?

Oh my! I forgot all about that until you mentioned it. Long ago I had a good friend who would recite Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving Day every year.

Originally Posted By: california rick
I'll bet a dozen donuts that those ladies used credit cards for those purchases.

That's what the President Elect wants, isn't it rick? I know I'll be using credit cards when I make my purchases. Online.

Originally Posted By: california rick
stereoman, nice new "do" - I hardly recognized you! \:D

Why thankee! I was out hiking with some friends recently and we came across this open place on a ridge top where we stopped to rest. I saw this object hanging from a nearby tree branch and thought hey! that looks like an airy crown for a sweaty hiker - lemme see if it fits on my big ol haid. And it did, as the photo testifies.
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

#88998 - 11/29/08 02:09 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: Greger]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: flyover country
 Originally Posted By: Greger
Hey did anyone else get to listen to Arlo Guthrie's
Alices Restaurant at noon on Turkeyday?

Even better - I got to listen to a one-hour Bob Edwards interview with Arlo Guthrie, hisownself.

But maybe I'll pull that CD for today's road trip...thanks for the reminder.

Hey maybe I'll pull Woody, hisownself, as well. Nice reminder.

#89020 - 11/29/08 05:44 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: stereoman]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
Morning all!

Yep, Steve, that's a bad ass hat you got there. Woot.
Glad you liked the eye candy.
I always thought Natalie was especially beautiful too as well as Cary Grant.
Sunrise came from googling autumn sunrises. \:\)

Thanks y'all.
I'm glad we talked about the massacre elsewhere and not here too. I thought briefly about moving it off the opener and on to the other thread but family stuff has been too busy and all that it was just too time consuming and would have changed the balance of my opener.

I've seen Arlo do Alice's restaurant in person! Three times now.
Thanks Greger, for bringing it up. What better time to listen to it than Thanksgiving. duh
We've got it on vinyl. I'll pull it out and do just that.

Grandkids are on their way over so the big kids can go play tonight.

Catch y'all later.

Edited by olyve (11/30/08 04:11 AM)

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#89024 - 11/29/08 06:17 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday, November 29, 2008 [Re: olyve]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Hey, I missed Steve's "do".....was off having a great time with son and grandson who were visiting from Colorado. The rain we got Wednesday is already turning the hills green and the temps are foretold to get back into the upper 70's and low 80's over the weekend.

Maybe I will take Dolly down to the beach again. She hates water but had a ball chasing the waves with my grandson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Senator Hatrack), 15 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2