by Greger
Today at 09:25 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by Greger
Today at 09:15 PM
West Coast Burning
by pondering_it_all
Today at 08:52 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
Today at 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by Greger
09/08/20 08:25 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by Irked
09/08/20 04:02 AM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
The Republican Platform
by jgw
09/03/20 07:15 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
voters who don't
by pondering_it_all
09/01/20 08:35 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
08/31/20 12:43 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pondering_it_all
08/30/20 08:06 PM
Steve Bannon, 3 Others Arrested and Charged With Wire Fraud, Money Laundering
by Greger
08/29/20 03:29 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16993 Topics
302766 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92347 - 12/27/08 02:37 AM Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
GOOD SATURDAY MORNING, EVERYBODY!!

DUBLIN SUNRISE

EVENTS ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY...

1831 - Charles Darwin set out on a voyage to the Pacific aboard the HMS Beagle. Darwin's discoveries during the voyage helped him form the basis of his theories on evolution.

1845 - Dr. Crawford Williamson Long used anesthesia for childbirth for the first time. The event was the delivery of his own child in Jefferson, GA.
Although William T. G. Morton is well-known for performing his historic anesthesia on October 16, 1846 in Boston, Massachusetts, C. W. Long is now known to be the first to have used an ether-based anesthesia. William T. G. Morton is now sometimes credited as performing the first "public" demonstration of ether as a surgical anesthetic, however this is also erroneous as Dr. Long publicly demonstrated the use of ether as a surgical anesthetic on numerous occasions before 1846.
Long died in Athens, Georgia. Long County, Georgia and Emory University's Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia are named in his honor. The Crawford W. Long Museum in downtown Jefferson, Georgia, has been in operation since 1957.
A statue of Crawford Long currently stands in the crypt of the United States Capitol as one of the two designated to represent the state of Georgia.wiki

1900 - Carrie Nation staged her first raid on a saloon at the Carey Hotel in Wichita, KS. She broke each and every one of the liquor bottles that could be seen.

1927 - Leon Trotsky was expelled from the Communist Party.

Quote:
Learning carries within itself certain dangers because out of necessity one has to learn from one's enemies.
Leon Trotsky

Quote:
The depth and strength of a human character are defined by its moral reserves. People reveal themselves completely only when they are thrown out of the customary conditions of their life, for only then do they have to fall back on their reserves.Leon Trotsky

1945 - The World Bank was created with an agreement signed by 28 nations.

1947 - The children's television program "Howdy Doody," hosted by Bob Smith, made its debut on NBC.

click on the picture

1971 - Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy and Woodstock of Charles Schulz’ "Peanuts" comic strip were on the cover of "Newsweek" magazine.

1978 - Spain adopted a new constitution and became a democracy after 40 years of dictatorship.

1979 - Soviet forces seized control of Afghanistan. Babrak Karmal succeeded President Hafizullah Amin, who was overthrown and executed.

1985 - Palestinian guerrillas opened fire inside the Rome and Vienna airports. A total of twenty people were killed, including five of the attackers, who were slain by police and security personnel.

1992 - The U.S. shot down an Iraqi fighter jet during what the Pentagon described as a confrontation between a pair of Iraqi warplanes and U.S. F-16 jets in U.N.-restricted airspace over southern Iraq.

1997 - In Northern Ireland, Billy Wright was assassinated. He was imprisoned as a Protestant paramilitary leader.

2001 - U.S. President George W. Bush granted China permanent normal trade status with the United States.

2002 - North Korea ordered U.N. nuclear inspectors to leave the country and said that it would restart a laboratory capable of producing plutonium for nuclear weapons.

2002 - Clonaid announced the birth of the first cloned human baby. The baby had been born December 26.

MUSIC FOR THE DAY...

1970 - "Hello, Dolly!" closed on Broadway after a run of 2,844 performances.

1971 - The "Sonny & Cher Show" began airing on CBS. The show ran for four 1/2 years.

click on the picture

PHOTOS FOR THE DAY...

the eyes

a beautiful boy

HAHAHAHA....
WHA???
\:o

Let's have some breakfast. You want to?

speaking of beautiful... my grandkids...

HAVE A GREAT DAY Y'ALL!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#92353 - 12/27/08 07:45 AM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: olyve]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: CA USA
That's a beautiful intro, Olyve! I really enjoyed that!

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#92354 - 12/27/08 07:51 AM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: CA USA
Now for some very sad news. Perhaps you all have heard/read about the man in SoCal that dressed up as Santa and killed eight people and burned down the house of the family of his ex-wife? Well, the murdered family members were very good friends of Mr. Scoutgal's and mine. Mr. Scoutgal had known them for almost 40 years. We had heard of the incident on the news, but because the identity of the family was not released to the public, we didn't know who was involved, until a family survivor called us Friday afternoon. We are in shock...I won't be here much during the week, and my intros will be very short. Please accept my apologies for that and say a prayer or two for the family. \:\(

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#92360 - 12/27/08 11:33 AM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Awwwww, Scout that's just so sad, I hope Olyves beautiful opener brought a little bit of joy into your heart. My prayers are winging their way across the Nation even as I type.

#92363 - 12/27/08 01:38 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
That is shocking, Scout.
I don't even know what to say other than I am so very sorry.

My deepest condolences to you and yours. My heart hurts for you.

Thank you, Greger.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#92364 - 12/27/08 02:16 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: olyve]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: flyover country
Scout, what terrible news...it was terrible as it stood, of course, but somehow knowing you're connected to it makes it even worse.

My sympathies to all concerned.
Julia

#92368 - 12/27/08 03:10 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: Mellowicious]
stereoman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Asheville, NC
Lovely opener today, olyve! Looks like Bel and I will be going out to breakfast shortly, as there are no eggs in the house (oh my!). Your good morning photo is certainly inspiring! Beautiful grandkids, O person of great fortune.

That's sad news, Scout, sad indeed. My condolences, and best wishes, to your family and to the victims' families.

It's bright, warm, and beautiful this morning in the Southern Appalachians. Let's go out and play!
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

#92369 - 12/27/08 03:19 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: olyve]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
 Quote:
1947 - The children's television program "Howdy Doody," hosted by Bob Smith, made its debut on NBC.

1992 - The U.S. shot down an Iraqi fighter jet during what the Pentagon described as a confrontation between a pair of Iraqi warplanes and U.S. F-16 jets in Iraq airspace.

COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!

Quote:
I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them.
- - - George H. W. Bush

From the Church of Ineffable Stupidity:

a) At the end of the 1st quarter, the score is Israel 155, Gaza 0.
If anyone were keeping score.

Israel just unleashed its US made missiles, carried by US made jets, using US made targeting systems, onto the stone throwing, prison population of Gaza. 120 deaths confirmed, even though Israel evicted all UN observers last week.

You can always tell when elections are coming to Israel. Their candidates try to out-macho each other, while Palestinians starve, get bombed and strafed, and die.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7800985.stm

Condi Rice has called for restraint by all parties.
- - -

b) Pakistan continues to prepare for an attack on India. India returns the favor.
 Quote:
Amid fears of India's ground incursion, the Pakistani troops have been moved to the Pakistan-India border from its western border with Afghanistan, where the troops have been fighting against Taliban and al-Qaida militants, according to CNN.

Tensions between the two nuclear rivals increased since the Mumbai attacks, with New Delhi accused Pakistan-based Islamic extremists of carrying out the attacks and elements within the Pakistani government and army of complicity in supporting terrorism in the region.

The Pakistani government has denied the accusation, warning India to refrain from waging any strikes against Pakistan.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/27/content_10565286.htm

- - -

c) Denver plans air attack against San Diego, as another multi-billion dollar season comes to an end tomorrow.

- - -

d) Caroline Kennedy hires new director, script writer, then holds first interview.

Quote:
Between bites of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, Kennedy said the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and her work for Barack Obama's presidential campaign inspired her to act on her public service impulses.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/C...-12-27-06-10-58

Benjamin Franklin

#92371 - 12/27/08 03:33 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: Scoutgal]
agnostic Offline
veteran

Loc: ill in noise
my condolensces, Scout, to both you and yours.

Benjamin Franklin

#92374 - 12/27/08 04:21 PM Re: Round Table for Saturday December 27, 2008 [Re: agnostic]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
For those who appreciate architecture, take a look at the ten best houses in Los Angeles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
2 registered (rporter314, NW Ponderer), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2