Current Topics
Consequences when Dog catches car
by TatumAH
03:56 AM
Authoritarian to Authoritarian
by pdx rick
02:46 AM
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by pdx rick
02:46 AM
Carried away: how the Carl Vinson's canceled port visit sparked a global crisis
by Ken Condon
09:14 PM
No Reform Without the Forms
by pondering_it_all
08:36 PM
3 word story game
by TatumAH
03:54 PM
What happened to you white people?
by Jeffery J. Haas
03:12 AM
Bill Oreilly shakes hands with Pope Francis in Rome
by pondering_it_all
02:02 AM
The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video
by Ken Condon
01:25 AM
Worst Case Scenario
by TatumAH
04/22/17 06:27 PM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
04/22/17 06:07 PM
Round Table for April 2017
by NW Ponderer
04/22/17 05:25 PM
On Earth Day, a necessary defense of science from Trump
by NW Ponderer
04/22/17 05:22 PM
Sanity
by jgw
04/21/17 09:24 PM
Brexit Eve
by pondering_it_all
04/21/17 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15874 Topics
274297 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >
Topic Options
#94484 - 01/10/09 04:39 AM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: Phil Hoskins]
Hekate Offline

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
My experience of Obama so far is that even when I disagree with him, he seems to act with an articulable purpose in mind.

I agree with this assessment. I fear the purpose, whether articulated or not, is reflected in the final paragraph of my previous post.

#94485 - 01/10/09 04:51 AM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: Hekate]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
I have little reason to be as concerned as you, Hekate, but I have a healthy enough questioning instinct to always wonder about the story behind every story dealing with government and business, well actually, all but those who have shown enough transparency to gain trust.

I guess I am still hopeful enough to give the man a chance, since it seems as though he will probably be confirmed. I appreciate however anything that will be effective in guiding him in the direction of universal health care that works.

#94498 - 01/10/09 10:43 AM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: Phil Hoskins]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Per the Surgeon General website (albeit the Bush administration's version of same):
"The Surgeon General serves as America's chief health educator by providing Americans the best scientific information available on how to improve their health and reduce the risk of illness and injury."

Dr. Gupta has ample credentials to serve as a spokesperson.

"The Assistant Secretary for Health (ASH) oversees the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps, providing it with strategic and policy direction. Under the supervision of the ASH, the Surgeon General of the USPHS provides operational command of the Commissioned Corps. The ASH serves as the primary advisor to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on matters involving the Nation’s public health and science. The ASH runs the Office of Public Health and Science and helps coordinate the activities of the USPHS agencies on behalf of the Secretary."

Based on the commentary about Gupta, it seems some may think he will have the duties that actually are assigned to the ASH. Don't know who Obama has appointed to that position.

#94504 - 01/10/09 01:56 PM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: stereoman]
Hekate Offline

Originally Posted By: stereoman
Perhaps the point that has not become evident, or maybe not emphasized enough, is that a lot of people are opposed to this appointment.

And here's another...

Quote:
The following letter was sent to members and supporters of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP) by Dr. Quentin D. Young.

Dear PNHP members and friends,

The report this week that President-elect Obama is considering Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s chief medical correspondent, for the position of U.S. surgeon general is deeply troubling.

Among our concerns are these:

He has very little background in public health, preventive medicine or administration.

He has openly opposed progressive health reform, going so far as to cite false information to denigrate single payer (e.g. in his error-laden attack on Michael Moore’s film “Sicko”) and parroting the health insurance lobby’s distortions of single payer.

As a media figure, he has been disturbingly cozy with Big Pharma. He co-hosts Turner Private Networks’ monthly show “Accent Health,” which airs in doctors’ offices around the country and which serves as a major conduit for targeted ads from the drug companies. Another example: In 2003, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, he publicly downplayed concerns about the dangers of Vioxx. It was removed from the market a year later by its manufacturer, Merck.

In the 2008 election campaign, his reporting on John McCain’s health proposals was misleading and implicitly positive, giving undeserved credence to McCain’s claims that buying private health insurance on the open market is a financially viable option for most Americans.

We urge you to write to President-elect Obama and express your opposition to Gupta’s possible nomination, and to urge Obama to nominate a more acceptable candidate for this critically important post. You can do so by clicking here: http://change.gov/page/s/healthcare.

Sincerely yours,
Quentin D. Young, M.D.
PNHP National Coordinator

Source-Healthcare--Now!

#94567 - 01/10/09 09:29 PM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: Hekate]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So far I continue to be unimpressed with the opposition to Dr. Gupta's appointment (I particularly disagree with the assertion that he does not have a background in preventative medicine, as that is the subject of his book), as they tend to be ideological attacks, and not substantive. But I think it is more important to consider whether he can be an appropriate advocate internally and externally regarding public health policy. He has taken some public stands which puts him well ahead of many of his colleagues. Like Phil, though, I am willing to give the man a chance, since he will likely be confirmed.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#94574 - 01/10/09 11:13 PM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: Hekate]
stereoman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Asheville, NC
 Originally Posted By: Hekate
I worry that he will be a very effective shill for whatever lipsticked pig the next administration tries to pass off as healthcare reform.

I share your concern.

Originally Posted By: Phil
I guess I am still hopeful enough to give the man a chance, since it seems as though he will probably be confirmed. I appreciate however anything that will be effective in guiding him in the direction of universal health care that works.

Speaks my mind. Therein lies the value in healthy debate - especially when the Chief Executive has established a reputation for willingness to listen and assimilate new information.
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

#94596 - 01/10/09 11:22 PM Re: Surgeon General Gupta? [Re: stereoman]
olyve Offline
veteran

Loc: Athens, Ga.
 Originally Posted By: stereoman
 Originally Posted By: Hekate
I worry that he will be a very effective shill for whatever lipsticked pig the next administration tries to pass off as healthcare reform.

I share your concern.
me too
good debate and discussion

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

#95245 - 01/13/09 08:04 PM Oops... [Re: olyve]
Snargle Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
 Quote:
Source: Geithner failed to pay personal taxes, Treasury nominee also to discuss housekeeper's immigration status

Treasury secretary designee Timothy Geithner is meeting with senators to discuss why he failed to pay personal taxes and check the immigration status of a housekeeper.

An official with President-elect Barack Obama's transition office says Geithner answered senators' questions during a meeting he requested Tuesday. The person requested anonymity because the source is not authorized to speak publicly on Geithner's situation.

MSNBC

#95298 - 01/14/09 12:17 AM Re: Oops... [Re: Snargle]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've read all about Geithner's faux pas and I have to say that my level of concern was through... the floor. I mean, a serious ho-hum. The two points, seriously, were non-issues. He had a housekeeper who had a work visa. It expired at the end of her employment, and then... she got a green card. Of the time she was in his employ, she had three months where she was technically... and really just technically... not allowed to be employed. The other issue had to do with social security taxes on income earned outside the United States. I'm not even sure that he ever owed the taxes, but he acceded to IRS demands and paid a penalty. Done deal. If this is the level of misconduct that critics can bring up, we're in for a good few years!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#95343 - 01/14/09 11:22 AM Re: Oops... [Re: ]
Snargle Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I agree, Ponderer...after reading additional details about the situation, the issues do seem to be minor technicalities, and nothing that should disqualify Geithner from confirmation. Of course, the rabid opposition will probably think otherwise, but last time I checked, they were greatly outnumbered and outgunned.

At this point in the economic crisis, I don't think it's wise to lose someone as knowledgeable as Geithner over trivial piffle.

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2