by jgw
08:52 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by logtroll
08:30 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281979 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#307319 - 07/09/18 04:38 PM Leaving the Party
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It is almost Biblical, like Moses parting the Red Sea, to watch a growing list of prominent conservatives leave the Republican Party entirely, urge voters to back Democrats in the midterm elections, or both.
George Will, Joe Scarborough lead midterm exodus from GOP - The Hill (Opinion).

It is probably natural that Millenial women are leaving the Republican Party in droves (Washington Examiner). The party hasn't supported women's issues in decades. As the leaders of the "Republicans for Choice" said in closing up shop:
Quote:
For years we have debated whether to close our doors. Our founding principle had been that proponents of abortion rights should be comfortable in both major parties. But we have to face reality: There probably will not be a single pro-choice Republican member of the House after the fall election, and only two in the Senate — Ms. Collins and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

It has become taboo within the party to even say “pro-choice.” Most of our supporters gave up on the party as it moved to the extremes not just on abortion but also on other social and fiscal issues.

This Republican Party is no family of ours. And so we say goodbye.
Why We Are Leaving the G.O.P. (NYT, Opinion, Subscription)

But now we have genuine conservative stalwarts jumping ship: George Will, Joe Scarborough, Steve Schmidt, Max Boot. Max Boot is even urging Republicans to vote Democratic: I left the Republican Party, and now, I want Democrats to take over - Denver Post (Opinion, Subscription).
Quote:
I spent years writing for conservative publications such as the Wall Street Journal editorial page and Commentary magazine and working as a foreign policy adviser for three Republican presidential campaigns. Being conservative used to be central to my identity. But now, frankly, I don’t give a damn. I prefer to think of myself as a classical liberal, because “conservative” has become practically synonymous with “Trump lackey.”

The thinking, here, is that it will take a bloodbath to remake the Republican Party and rid it of the excrement at the bottom. As Boot puts it, "Like postwar Germany and Japan, the Republican Party must be destroyed before it can be rebuilt." (I have advocated the same position for some time). Of course, there are apologists who disagree, but I wonder if the influence of these thinkers will sway anyone, anymore. One can only hope.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#307329 - 07/09/18 09:14 PM Re: Leaving the Party [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Republican party has taken on defined groups that do not have enough members, themselves, to constitute a party. There are two main groups, the Libertarians and the Evangelists. It used to be the party of 'conservatives' now the Libertarians and Evangelists seem to have formed an unholy alliance and the real conservatives are, pretty much, ignored.

If anybody thinks that 'conservative' means libertarian or social conservative they would be mistaken. They are NOT the same! I am not conservative but understand them. The interesting thing about conservatives is that, in the end, they want, almost exactly, the same thing as the liberals want. I have known several 'conservatives' that figured the best candidate would be one that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I think, now, that might be a description of a good part of the Democratic party.

I am thinking of writing about this in a different forum sometime. I think, however, that its a point that should be made right now just to make things marginally clearer. Years ago, incidentally, I was a genuine, card carrying Libertarian for several years.

Edited by jgw (07/09/18 09:16 PM)

#307334 - 07/10/18 03:42 AM Re: Leaving the Party [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everyone is entitled to make mistakes in their youth, jgw. I, myself, voted for Republicans in the past.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2