16342 Topics
281364 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#307758 - 08/01/18 06:48 PM Ghost guns
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The complete lack of responsibility by Republicans in general, and this administration in particular, is manifest in its behavior with regard to untraceable or "ghost" firearms. The recent unforced capitulation regarding 3D printer guns is just the latest example. The danger this behavior poses to the public cannot be overstated.

There is a robust business, mostly online and at gun shows, for untraceable guns. They are a favorite of gangs, terrorists, and other criminals. Officials across the country fear a new era of untraceable firearms - NBC.
Quote:
The future of firearms — 3D-printed weapons and ghost guns — have officials so alarmed they're calling for stricter regulation. Both types lack serial numbers that would enable law enforcement to track them, and both are available in plastic, which can bypass metal detectors, especially if certain parts like firing pins are removed.

The NRA, naturally, claims that concerns are overblown. Tell that to the victims. California mass shooter made his own rifles - NBC, 2017; Santa Monica College shooting: Thank the NRA, says O’Donnell - NBC (2013).

And be assured, there will be more: Dozens of Homemade Firearms Seized by LAPD and ATF NBC (local); All your questions about 3D guns answered - CNN. All rational people recognize the danger posed by ubiquitous availability of such weaponry, yet... Well, Congress and the White House are not occupied by rational people. Instead, they sign themselves with true gun nuts. Beyond NRA-crazy.
Quote:
Cody Wilson -- the founder of Defense Distributed and the person who introduced the world to 3D-printed guns -- and his supporters say the ability to build unregulated and untraceable guns will make it much harder, if not impossible, for governments to ban them.

Wilson is not just a gun nut, he's an anarchist bent on destroying government, period. (I'm not exaggerating, In 2015 and 2017 Wired named Wilson "one of the five most dangerous people on the Internet." Wikipedia.)

And he is being abetted by a government that mirrors his ideology.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#307759 - 08/02/18 06:59 AM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Printable plastic guns are crap. Often they explode the first time they are fired, more certainly the second time. Anybody using one is likely to blow his hand off. The only advantage they have is by being undetectable by metal detectors if you use ceramic bullets.

A much greater risk is 80% finished gun kits. The gun is just unfinished enough not to require serial numbers or registration. The kit buyer does the rest. I't actually not all that hard to make a crappy single-shot gun and it's very easy to buy ammo.

#307760 - 08/02/18 02:05 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#307761 - 08/02/18 06:04 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Did you read the first comment? The AR15 has several metal parts. This is not a plastic gun. It has some 3D printed parts, but the important parts are metal. This is similar to the 80% guns I mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, I bet those metal parts are not too complicated to make, given some stuff from Home Depot.

#307762 - 08/02/18 08:18 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Oh wow, a minor detail; most of the upper receiver group, the lower receiver group and the barrel assembly are plastic, a metal recoil spring, maybe the auto/semi-auto selector sear, the bolt assembly and one or two other parts would be metal. Simple fact, an assault weapon can be printed from plastic, then a bump stock could be printed and attached and we have another Las Vegas or worse. Maybe not as many dead and injured, but still an untraceable automatic assault weapon could be printed and used by any number of people intent on violence. Additionally, the plastic used will only be improved as will the data file(s) and printers equalling an improved printed assault weapon.

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#307764 - 08/03/18 04:15 AM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Still, it's very detectable with a metal detector, which was the scary advantage of the printable gun. You could get it in your carry-on luggage onto a plane.

#307769 - 08/03/18 04:37 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Airline hijackings seem to be on the decline so perhaps the ability to get a gun aboard a plane is not so exciting as it once was. I can't muster up a lot of fear over this.
One day this firearms madness will blow over. Like the wild west, prohibition gangsterism, and bell bottom pants.

#307773 - 08/03/18 05:39 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
hmmm ... I have been a fan of bell bottoms since 1953 ... yes swabbies wore bell bottoms and I thought I should own a pair once I got old enough to buy my own clothes .... and I still have bell bottoms

the madness is alive and well in highlands texas

#307775 - 08/04/18 01:29 AM Re: Ghost guns [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Sagging pants seems to have finally gone out of style. That's too bad...the older I get, the more my pants seem to sag.

#307788 - 08/04/18 05:53 PM Re: Ghost guns [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger
Sagging pants seems to have finally gone out of style. That's too bad...the older I get, the more my pants seem to sag.

Errrr...nope, wife and I were just busting a gut two days ago.
We were just getting ready to leave my favorite little convenience store/gas station with our drinkies and a full tank when two dudes went in the door with their underwear clad booties sticking completely out and their pants strapped tightly BELOW their ballsacks.
Watching them waddle into the store had Karen in fits of laughter.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2