Because I was posting on my non-desktop computer, yesterday, I didn't get a chance to get to the parts that I agreed with you on, numan. I particularly agreed with your assessment of political theory, your suspicion of it, and your assertion that
 Originally Posted By: numan
politics should be an experimental science; that it should start with a variety of small scale models, that the bugs should be worked out before political procedures are scaled up to wide scale application. Above all, there should be flexibility, an awareness that there are "different strokes for different folks," there is no "one size fits all" in human affairs, and above all, circumstances change, and we should change with them.

But what do we see in history? People with inflexible theories, who are easy prey for scoundrels who flatter them; rigid and fossilized social institutions that fight tooth-and-nail to protect parasitic and narrow interests.
I happen to disagree with your assessment of the Constitution and its role in our political success as a people, but I fundamentally agree with these assertions and that it is a mix of systems that create success. I simply believe that the framework of our Constitution has been far more successful than others, and especially the parliamentary systems you appear so fond of. They are close kin, but I think a system of regularized period elections is more effective than one where the government can be toppled on a whim of the electorate. We forget that the Constitution has had some significant adjustments over the years - direct election of Senators and the President, expansion of suffrage, extension of Bill of Rights protections - but have become afraid of making further adjustments. Yes, there are flaws, but there is no other system that has proved more robust.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich