Originally Posted By: numan
 Originally Posted By: Ardy

It seems to me that selfishness/self-interests is a biologically inbuilt part of human nature. Fundamentally, we all want more; we all feel that our lives would be better "if only" we could have more of something or other.

I disagree very strongly with that statement.

I was making a glib generalization based upon what I see of the behavior of our pets... and (foolishly) extended such observations to humans making the assumption that humans were similar sorts of animals. I also foolishly watched television nature programs where it always seems that animals are always trying to steal from on another. I read book by an author studying some great apes in Africa... and foolishly thought his description of the behaviour of our near animal relatives might have some relevance to our own behaviour patterns.

After reading your posting, I understand that we are not what so ever like other animals.

Quote:
It is intellectual slovenliness to assume that what is true of us, or the people around us, is true of all people and all situations.

I also apologize for making a general statement that could be interpreted to mean that the factor I mentioned is always and only the exclusive determinant of human behavior. I had frankly not considered the possiblity that anyone might consider my comments to be so universal in application.

Edited by Ardy (05/16/09 09:16 PM)