Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Indeed, that phrase is an oxymoron - it is not a "governing" philosophy. I note that while Issodhos, as apparently the only defender/explicator of libertarian philosophy participating (my sympathies, friend), has written much, and answered a number of comments, he has not provided much substance to respond to - or had no one actually noticed that?

There are no specifics, just generalized "philosophical" leanings, e.g.

First, perhaps you need to get together with Phil and come to a decision as to whether you want specifics or general answers. Phil said he wanted no specifics, you claim I provide none. When you and Phil decide which way you want me to respond, let me know. I will then decide how I choose to answer.

That aside, your concern over libertarian thought not being a “governing” philosophy compared to the current master/slave system you currently support, NWP, could be clouding your objectivity. But, it would also be fair to say that a libertarian-oriented system, rather than being the reactionary top-down authoritarian type of governance we are currently immersed in, leaves much to the individual in the way of self-governance. This is a result of the expanded freedom and liberty an individual would enjoy as the old system is altered by libertarian principle.

As to a government-caused need for the Department of Homeland Security, actions have consequences. When we play in other people’s back yard, they sometimes decide to come over and play in our back yard. Actions do have consequences. A libertarian-based foreign policy would be focused on cultural exchange and trade in line with a policy of not initiating aggression against others. It is an adult way to interact with the world.

Also, I am using the terms, “libertarian-influenced” and “libertarian-oriented” in the hope that it will finally convey to you and others that I am not advocating a utopia. When I say the human critter is a sloppy critter, I mean it. He will not be perfection. He will not be identical in thought or capability. He has many vices. I am also using it to reinforce the idea that any move toward libertarian-influenced action must be incremental. I am not aware of any vanguard mentality within libertarian circles such as informs various collectivist theories.

As to the piffle about police, military, courts and such – I have written before and have now written several times in this single thread that we are not discussing and I am not advocating anarcho-capitalism, which advocates the complete elimination of government, so lets not go there again.
Yours,
Issodhos

Edited by issodhos (05/19/09 02:56 AM)
Edit Reason: removed duplicate quote