Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
If you think about it, the problem off Somalia is libertarianism in a microcosm. Here you have the "free market" at work. Pirates Entrepreneurs in Somalia have identified a means of making money and they are exploiting the local resource (Gulf of Aden) to get ransom money profits (call it a toll) from shippers transiting their locality. Shippers are willing to pay (willing buyers) to the Somali pirates entrepreneurs (willing sellers) for the privilege of using the waterway. Shippers have a choice - they can arm their ships and make it more difficult for the pirates entrepreneurs, but then the cost of ransom the toll will go up; they can ship further away and avoid the Gulf of Aden, but that will add to the expense of shipping, and, after all, only a small percentage of their shipping is subject to this free-lance toll process. This is pure libertarian market economics.

Anyone see any flaws in this example?

Interestingly a lot of the pirates were originally fishermen who were fished out of a livlihood by large fishing companies, as somlaia was unable to defend its territorial waters and fishing grounds.

But i do see a problem using somalia as an example of ibertarianism in action. from what ive read from Isshodos, that there is agreement on the principles through which freedom of action is limited and limited though laws.

however Somalia is an anarchic laweless hell hole, pretty far from the ideal (sorry Isshodos) libertarian orientated society described.

Its the lack of laws and agreement i think are the main difference.

what the reality or consequences of libertarian orientated society would be is actually anyones guess. I share many peoples suspicions that it would be unworkable or would end up a Dickensian nightmare.

I share the suspicion that it could descend into a somalia (mad max) like situation, but then again germany was a democracy before it descended into madness.

I feel that libertarianism in itself holds enough contradictions and is based on too many assumptions to be able to argue against it comprehensively and successfully without smearing it with Somalia.

to me it smacks of rovian tactics*.

* now hows THAT for a backhanded smear?