-

I have driven over much of the US and seen farm land and range land showing the obvious signs of degradation and over-use. People almost always try to get more out of their property than it can sustain over the long term.

The same would be true in the fantasy of selling private rights to sections of the sea for fishermen.

We live in a totalitarian nation and in a totalitarian world, and have done so for a long time already. Many people, I know, prefer not to see this obvious fact, and allow themselves to be soothed by pleasing rhetoric and the empty pageant of so-called "democracy."

If people would throw their illusions overboard, face up to the cold reality of our situation, and roll up their sleeves, we might be able to make some progress toward having "totalitarianism with a human face." Not facing up to the facts means that we will continue to live under totalitarianism with a cold, inhuman face.

If we could manage to have a totalitarianism that is not so anti-human, then we might have some reasonable hope of escaping the totalitarian prison into which we have boxed ourselves.

I give Issodhos credit for having the intelligence and the guts to face up to the fact that our present system is totalitarian, but I think him quite naive to think that libertarianism is a practical way out of our predicament.

In the matter of fishing, for example, what would be effective is to use the totalitarian power of the state to forbid all fishing in the sea for the next hundred years, and to blow any fishing boat out of the water if it attempts to contravene the prohibition.

It would take measures that strong in order to have the oceans regain their former productive equilibrium --- though so much damage has been done already, it is doubtful that it would be the same equilibrium they had before. Some things are lost forever, and cannot be regained.

What is quite certain is that the longer we wait to use totalitarian force to restore the oceans, the worse the final outcome will be.

-