FULL TITLE: Militias 'mobilizing' to support embattled Clark County rancher in clash with federal rangers

via Las Vegas Review Journal

If there's anything the rwingers loves, it's law & order, because if you don't respect the law, you're a lawless criminal. Barack Obama, for instance, he is a lawless renegade who thinks that the executive branch can make changes to how the Affordable Care Act is administered without asking permission from the Tea Party.

And so it makes perfect sense that the rwing media are calling for firm action in the case of a Nevada scofflaw who thinks the law doesn’t apply to him. Except that T-Baggers are on the scofflaw’s side because in this case the scofflaw is a rancher named Cliven Bundy who says he doesn't have to pay grazing fees or comply with a federal court order - which he's been ignoring since 1998 - telling him to remove his cattle from federal land. In fact, they're all but urging him to take an armed stand, agreeing with him that he's in a fight against an out-of-control tyrannical government.

Writes Media Matters:

Quote:
In 1993, Bundy began refusing to pay government fees required to allow his cattle to exploit public lands. In 1998, the government issued a court order telling Bundy to remove his cows from the land, as part of an effort to protect the endangered desert tortoise located there. And in July 2013, a federal court ordered Bundy to get his cattle off public land within 45 days or they would be confiscated. The confiscation began this month, and the cattle will be sold to pay off the $1 million in fees and trespassing fines Bundy owes.

This story has everything: a romantic hero rancher/business man, an irrational bureaucracy that wants him to pay to run cattle on his family's ancestral grazing land (OK, it's federally owned land, so just stay with me here), a stupid useless endangered turtle species endangering this nice man's livelihood, and the threat of confiscation. No wonder the guy's the greatest folk hero since Randy Weaver. Here's hoping he doesn't have a bunker.

Bundy is also making sure to remind everyone that he is not opposed to Second Amendmenting his way to a resolution of his legal troubles. In 2013, he told the Las Vegas Sun that "he keeps firearms at his ranch" and is willing to "do whatever it takes" to protect his property. He added that "I abide by all state laws. But I abide by almost zero federal laws."

Everyone's favorite dough boy, Sean Hannity, asked Bundy, "How far are you willing to go? How far are you willing to take this?" The Last Free Man in the West replied:

Quote:
My statement to the American people, I'll do whatever it takes to gain our liberty and freedom back."

What...a...manly hero!

The Las Vegas Review-Journal article talks about the arrival of armed antigovernment militia folks to "help" Bundy. But don't worry, they're promising that they won't instigate any shooting that happens. They're just coming to resist tyranny. These militia folk seem really very nice, and I'm sure that their presence is all that's needed to make the Feds see reason. What could possibly go wrong?