Originally Posted By: Ardy
Just to be a little more clear on the land ownership issue

The land in question used to belong to Mexico.

But we fought a war with Mexico and the us gov
The fed gov expended resources to fight this war
Soldiers from all over the nation fought And died in this war
At the time there were no states or counties in this area

So at what point did this land that we spent fought and died for become state or county property

Also. I am curious to learn why it is that the gov does not continue to own 99% of states like California that were similarly acquired. Enormous amounts of good land has been transitioned from public to private ownership. People certainly could have homesteaded on this rich land as they did elsewhere. The question being. Why the apparent lack of interest in this land.

Also I note that the bundy actually own a ranch that is their own land. If the us gov is keeping all this land for themselves. How did this privately owned ranch come into existence. .

1) If the Fed own almost 90% of the physical property a state contains, how can that state be considered an independent state?

2) I do not advocate military action by anybody except for the military. The Posse Comitatus Act forbids the US military from being use inside our border except during a national emergency. These people may have been called "agents" as a way to get past the letter of the law, but they are, in effect, an armed service of the Federal government. They could have called on the governor to call up national guard troops to remove the cattle and it would have been ignored by everybody except the local press, but instead they wanted to make as much noise as possible and got exactly what they wanted. They just didn't anticipate the amount of support that Bundy would get both locally and nationally.

3)Where did I say that I thought that the people who took up arms were acting properly? As a matter of fact I stated that I thought that the situation would have escalated out of control had the Fed not pulled their people out. While I blame the Fed for creating the situation, I in no way advocate violence. What I advocate is common sense. Arrest Bundy, put him on trial and convict him.

This situation sucks! It never should have come to this, but it did. I blame both sides, and while I may be sympathetic to Bundy because I do not believe that the Fed should be allowed to control the majority of area within any state, Bundy is a deadbeat and should be brought to trial. There is no straight line path to enlightenment in this story. It meanders along a twisted path full of ulterior motives and cynical thoughts. Personally, I believe that there was money to made off of the land, probably shady money that political interests did not want to become public.

In the end, it is always about politics. Events such as this is one is why politics are always so fascinating.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson