Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
When you believe in the Second Amendment Beans, ordinary rules do not apply to you.

I see that some of the Rightwingnutters around the innertubes are justifying such behavior as necessary when true patriots are forced to oppose tyranny, just like in the Revolutionary War. In other words, for many of them the revolution has begun!

The popular fantasy is that individuals, or small bands of well-armed "families", will soon have to hunker down and weather the apocalypse, defending against the storm troopers and the Takers (Zombies) who will be roaming the land "taking".

I remember reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" and thinking how impossible the scenario would be where virtually everything in Nature is dead, except for the characters who are wandering about looking for a way to keep on surviving. The fact is, life on earth is a very complex system, and to have that system disrupted to the extent described in the story would mean that there would be no survivors, at least not for long. And therein lies the fault in the fantasy - that little enclaves of people, with their guns and survival rations, will survive the apocalypse that they seem to wish for.

I have a brother-in-law, a medical doctor, not a Rightwingnut, and we were once entertaining the idea of throwing in together to buy 80 acres in the country, with a stream, timber, and 20 acres of bottomland. I had visions of a wonderful and productive place, building with local lumber and stone, growing a bounty of food, and restoring the stream riparian ecosystem (it was trashed from decades of unmanaged cattle grazing) - something that others would want to emulate up and down the valley. In the middle of my fantasy, he turned to me and asked what I thought about guns for protection. Protection against what? For when the shiit hits the fan and the the Takers come. I plan to be part of a wide community where we take care of each other. If any Takers come, we will accommodate them. Oh.