The broader problem isn't really all that broad, Ardy.
Here it is in a nutshell:

The ARMY (and NAVY, MARINES, COAST GUARD, AIR FORCE) is composed of ENLISTED or CONSCRIPTED RECRUITS, SOLDIERS and OFFICERS, all of whom have sworn a solemn oath to uphold and defend the United States of America from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The POLICE is composed of SWORN PEACE OFFICERS who have also sworn an oath to uphold and enforce THE LAWS of the United States of America and the laws of their particular locality or jurisdiction and to promote LAW AND ORDER while serving and protecting THE PEOPLE.

That is the reason WHY ARMY, NAVY, MARINES, COAST GUARD, AIR FORCE members wear insignia, hold ranks and follow ORDERS. Those orders ultimately come (down through the chain of command) from the COMMANDER IN CHIEF.

That is why police wear badges, which signify a form of AUTHORITY.
These forms of authority are duly sanctioned by all branches of government, via the people and their duly elected representatives in Congress, and their duly elected representatives in city, state and local government.

Now, all that having been said, I fail to see where ANY of these ass clowns are authorized by anybody.
Someone please point to where they get their authority from.
Till I see that I'm saying, "Yeah dipshit, pull me over or checkpoint me, make my day, sucker."

Simple as that, it's no different than some guy down the street (who delivers pizzas for a living) driving a white Ford Crown Victoria with light bars, sirens, radio antennas and who attempts to pull me over or detain me.

Fake cops, fake soldiers, fake law enforcement and fake oaths, but I swear to you they will spill REAL blood sooner or later and it will be the blood of an innocent person or a REAL soldier or sworn peace officer.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)