Quote:
Several months ago, according to two sources with knowledge of the conversation, former chief strategist Steve Bannon told Trump that the risk to his presidency wasn’t impeachment, but the 25th Amendment—the provision by which a majority of the Cabinet can vote to remove the president. When Bannon mentioned the 25th Amendment, Trump said, “What’s that?” According to a source, Bannon has told people he thinks Trump has only a 30 percent chance of making it the full term.
“I Hate Everyone in the White House!”: Trump Seethes as Advisers Fear the President Is “Unraveling” - Vanity Fair.

We previously had some discussions about removing Trump from the presidency, and that impeachment seemed a long shot. I had opined that the 25th Amendment seemed a better option, for a number of reasons. My question here, is: Would the removal of Trump be a real precedent for the use of the 25th Amendment? The Amendment provides:
Quote:
“Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.”

This question is being raised all over the MSM: When do we reach 25th Amendment territory? - Jennifer Rubin, WaPo opinion; Using the 25th Amendment to depose Trump would require a Cabinet mutiny - CNN; Why the 25th Amendment is suddenly getting so much attention - MSNBC (Maddow Blog).

I personally think the circumstances under which it might be invoked would be rare. I mean, seriously, are we likely to face another Trump-like candidate? (Before next election cycle?) Can sanity return? Obviously, removing Trump - while it would be a relief for 70% of the electorate, it would inspire militia-inspired action from his rabid, conspiracy-addled "base".

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich