Welcome to the Round Table for the Dog Days of August, 2018 Siriusly. (Aren't they cute?!)

The "dog days" are considered the hottest period of the year (in the Northern Hemisphere), and we have already seen some of the hottest days, ever.
According to WaPo, "No single record, in isolation, can be attributed to global warming. But collectively, these heat records are consistent with the kind of extremes we expect to see increase in a warming world." (Maybe we're becoming the Dog Planet?) As a result, record-setting fire seasons are occurring. California now considers "fire season" to be year round. 2017 saw the most destructive season yet scorching over 245,000 acres and killing 44 people. In 2018 There Are 16 Active Wildfires Burning Across California (TIME) as we begin the month of August, "And many are burning in areas experiencing record-shattering extreme heat." Already 7 lives have been lost, over 100,000 acres consumed, and over 1000 buildings destroyed.

In other areas, certain major figures are currently in hot seats, as trials have begun, and are continuing. But enough of that.

"August" also describes something that inspires reverence or admiration "of supreme dignity or grandeur; majestic" or a person who is eminent, noteworthy, and worthy of emulation. Now THAT is something to be proud of! I have been thinking of august personalities, and it turns out there are more of them than I had thought. I was inspired, actually, by someone I had not particularly considered of such note:

I know he has shown prowess on the court, but what inspired the appellation "august" to me is his opening of his public school, the "I Promise School" in Akron, Ohio. The school will start with 240 at-risk children (third and fourth graders) with plans to expand to over 1,000 students. Students who graduate with specific standards will qualify for a full scholarship to the University of Akron.

So, in the spirit of August (rather than disgust), I am challenging my fellow Ranters to identify those people, or institutions, who inspire them, who earn the title "august" by their actions, presence, and words. With that, the floor is YOURS!