Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Quote:
Death Valley

But it's a dry heat! Somewhat survivable. I worry a lot more about Phoenix. Mid-summer power failures and LOTS of old folks die. Especially if they are in the middle of a monsoon moisture event coming up out of Mexico.

I was just up in the San Fernando Valley the other day here in CA, and it was 117 degrees. It was actually quite tolerable because I "dressed for the occasion", as in loose fitting tee and shorts, and I carried my drinkie bottle. I think the rel. hum. was around eight percent.

Now imagine that in Dallas with 50% relative humidity.
Now go three degrees higher. That's what I predict for 2020, and massive failures in the Texas electrical grid, which by the way is isolated from everyone else.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) stems from a mix of "Don't Mess With Texas" and some WW2 ideas about keeping Texas factories running during the war even in case of invasion. Also, because the ERCOT grid does not sell power to other states, it is exempt from most regulation by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. But Texas uses more electricity than any other state, 44 percent more than California.

And it's not like they can just hook up to another grid if theirs goes down in a heap. Not saying that they have a punkass grid, I'm just saying that record heat and humidity may stress it beyond anyone's prior calculations. Anyone who has lived down South knows what a typical modern Texas style central air conditioning unit looks like.
For those that don't, they are "BEEEEEEEEEEG"...veddy veddy beeg.

120 degrees at fifty percent relative humidity on an August afternoon might be a Waterloo moment.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)