The Facebook hack, the 2016 election, the rape of a woman taking in a Florence refugee, the killing of Botham Jean, the Kavanaugh appointment... what do they have in common? In my view, the blindness of people with good intentions.

It is a human condition, I think, that people with good hearts discover the depravity of others' too late to save themselves. Botham Jean was at home in his apartment, and apparently left his door unlocked because he didn't fear his neighborhood. I rarely lock my own. He died because an officer, who didn't share his values, shot reflexively before investigating. The good Samaritan assumed a hurricane refugee would be grateful, rather than predatory. Trump was elected because too many people thought (perhaps self-deceptively) that he could be reformed once he was in office, people still want to believe that Brett Kavanaugh could be a fair Justice despite all of the contrary evidence (beliefs that are skewed by political opportunism), and Facebook's leadership consistently underestimates the depravity of its platform's users.

Facebook is a particularly useful example. Because social media has been used for organizing resistance to tyrannical rule, and its raison d'etre is free expression, its purveyors think of themselves as wearing white hats and lack the imagination to appreciate that the tools they create and use themselves could be used for nefarious ends - like genocide of the Rohingya, organizing terror campaigns in India (and the U.S.), or widespread disinformation campaigns by state actors.

And so we have a Trump in the White House, will soon have a Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court and overt racists running US policy. I'm not sure where it will end, but I'm mightily sick of it.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich