Originally Posted By: chunkstyle
Trump is giving his base a tangible goal and fighting for it. It's stupid and dumb but he seems to have at least a fundemental understanding of politics. Can Democrats say the same?
I'm sorry, my friend, but I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of Trump's motivation. He wasn't trying to give his base a tangible goal, he was cowering before Ann Coulter and Hannity. He has no goal or anything he fights for, except what is expedient in the moment. He got backed into this idiotic shutdown and doesn't have a clue how to get out of it. His support is dwindling, and he doesn't understand what to do, so he goes to what he knows: bluster and bullshit. Besides, no one is talking about Mueller this week... It's all about him again, just the way he likes it. What he doesn't understand is that the shutdown may actually result in his ouster. Those Republican Senators peeling off from him are the same ones that might just impeach him, when the fan gets messy.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich