Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I was pretty much self-taught on cooking. My parents cooked and I watched and learned. They were surprised to discover I had made myself french toast for breakfast one day when my classes started well after they both left for work. I just told them it was no big deal because I'd seen them do it. So I cooked my own breakfast from age 10 or so. I was very good at reading and they had a Betty Crocker cookbook.

But as far as school, I'm older than Title IX: So no Home Ec for me but shop classes out the wazoo.
I HAD to cook before school, or else I got to eat my mom's cooking. Loved her dearly, but, um... she wasn't talented in the kitchen. (Thank god for Hamburger Helper!) I learned a lot about cooking in the Boy Scouts, and other life lessons, but I really learned the details when I was in college. It turns out my dad was an excellent cook, but he wouldn't do it at home because that was "women's work." (A different generation.) I did, however, learn sewing and darning socks (who does that anymore?) from my mom, as well as balancing a checkbook. Typing was a class in school. My sons both got "modern living" classes in school that taught living basics like banking, cooking, etc.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich