Thanks, guys. I'm awake before 5 a.m., reading a little and catching up, trying to get sleepy again, and now I'm depressed and scared. I've been busy avoiding reality and here you bring it to me. Sheesh!

I've been railing about our collective irresponsibility for some time. The worst effects won't affect me, but my children, well, they're f*ed. I spent some time (too much) trying to convince some climate deniers that we're already witnessing the effects of global climate change in hurricanes and fire seasons, with graphs, charts and, you know, science. What I learned is, their capacity for denial is inexhaustible. Evidence they don't like is "dismissed", and any scintilla of a hint of anything contrary ("it's snowing outside") is flogged to death as refutation of climate change. There are too many of "them", and the worse it gets, the more of them there will be. Humans hate to admit fault.

The truth is, we're probably already too late. I live on a hill (unfortunately in a forest), so I'll be above the tsunami line, even after the sea rise, but the neighborhood will probably go up in flames during the coming droughts. Already summers here are routinely smoky. We go to the coast when it gets bad (my wife has breathing issues), and we have a well-stocked bugout vehicle for the coming disasters (assuming we can get fuel within 300 miles or so). I'll probably need a long gun for survival, but a neighbor has an arsenal...