Here is an interesting link on the retirement thing:
https://www.thestreet.com/retirement/average-retirement-savings-14881067

Can't resist. "The Homeless" is a lousy description of the problem. Last figure I heard was that 47% of the 'homeless' have mental problems. This country has been relying on our system of prisons to take care of the most extreme cases as most real facilities have either been shut down or are failing. Then there are the plain flat out bums who prey on the rest of the homeless. There are also the elderly married who lived on both their social security checks then one dies, they own nothing, and the single social security checks won't pay the rent. Our local high school is also full of homeless kids who have parents who are over 50 and cannot find jobs. As far as I can tell cities are having a serious problem dealing with folks living out of their cars, motor homes, trailers, etc. too. Its a serious problem that needs fixing and there is no way to do that in one fell swoop. I could go on and on about this one but, I suspect, everybody knows about this one. I do know that where I live we have a really serious problems and our city council has decided not to recognize it at all. I know a friend who went to a meeting to ask about it and, before he could as the question, was told that the council has "bigger fish to fry" and just shut him down.

Interesting times.............