Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Sex by 12 is almost a family tradition around here. I looked at the sex offender website, and there's almost one per block. The website describes the crime which is usually an uncle/niece thing. Seems to be a cultural thing that came from Mexico, like Quinceaneras.

Maybe where said "uncle" is seventeen or nineteen, and still "over-eager" according to Quinceanera standards, which mark the fifteenth birthday as being officially a grown woman, which harkens back to a time when the average life expectancy was about fifty five for males in MX.

My own grandmother on the Italian side was married by fifteen in the old country and gave birth to my mother at sixteen, but she was also running an entire farmer market at fifteen, and average life expectancy for men in Rapino, Italy in the 1900's was also about 55 or so.

I don't see it as much of a stretch to either move Quinceanera age to sixteen for "emancipated" teens, or eighteen.
By the way, this might shock you, but as enlightened as we like to think we are, California is one of just a few states lacking ANY minimum age for marriage.
Minors (under the age of 18) must obtain both parental consent and a court order before they may legally tie the knot.

CA needs to enact a mandatory minimum marrying age with no exceptions.
And get the "uncles" out of the picture. Those are sex offenders indeed, incestuous ones. That's not culture, it's trailer trash in any language, even if they don't live in a trailer.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)