Originally Posted By: rporter314
Yes I see your belief is we should return to 1790, since almost everything following would have been unConstitutional. Yikes!!! What you believe is the Founders were stupid ignorant men of no vision who would write a document meant to calcify government into another useless instrument of tyranny.

I suggest they were not ignorant nor stupid but men of great vision, who were more than aware of a mercurial society and of technological advances. These men would have considered this in writing a profound document, which laid the foundations for future generations , and would not have constrained men to antiquated laws bereft of elastic interpretations in volatile times.

Originally Posted By: Pres Thomas Jefferson
I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors

That is why our Constitution has Article V. To amend our Constitution to fit our society as it has changed over time. But what has not changed is human nature. By having a written constitution it recognizes and puts limits on the lust for power that is part of human nature. That our Founding Fathers recognized how the lust for power is unchanging is an example of their wisdom.
"The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse."
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
"As there is a degree of depravity in mankind which requires a certain degree of circumspection and distrust: So there are other qualities in human nature, which justify a certain portion of esteem and confidence. Republican government presupposes the existence of these qualities in a higher degree than any other form. Were the pictures which have been drawn by the political jealousy of some among us, faithful likenesses of the human character, the inference would be that there is not sufficient virtue among men for self-government; and that nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another."
James Madison