Originally Posted By: rporter314
Slavery is certainly mentioned in the Constitution. As an originalist, do you adhere to those sacred words or have you rationalized to yourself slavery is not good and therefore etc etc. If so, then you are not above interpretation of the sacred text. So how can you maintain originalism with your apostasy?

I think this is the fundamental problem for all "originalists", i.e. they selectively exclude some clauses for interpretation while others they argue are immutable. As a person of principle, how do you reconcile this?

Our Founding Fathers acquiesced to the existence of slavery with great reluctance. Some them were active abolitionists. The protection of slavery in our Constitution was a shameful compromise that had to be made for it to be ratified. Because they were wise enough to include Article V in it they provided a way to expunge that compromise when the American people realized the evils of slavery. To condemn our Constitution and Founding Fathers for protecting slavery is to judge it and them by today's standards. That is like expecting man to be able to have traveled to the moon once rockets were invented. The quote you posted from Pres. Jefferson and Article V of our Constitution explains why originalists abhor slavery just as much as our Founding Fathers did, even the ones who owned slaves.