Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Going back to your original post, I am going to posit something that is likely to really, really tick you off: Liberals are the new conservatives.

No, it doesn't tick me off. Yesterday's liberals are tomorrow's conservatives. The modern day liberals (MDL) want to conserve the programs of the New Deal. Classical liberals want to get rid of them.

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
As a Liberal I want State governments to have the opportunity to experiment, to innovate, and to deviate from what other States are doing - so long as they don't interfere with those previously stated values. I believe in a government that is big enough to do its job, but not so much that it interferes with the life, liberty, and happiness stuff. Mostly what we disagree on is what those things are, and what is interference.

As a Classical Liberal you want to bring back federalism.
"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."
James Madison
I fully agree that the federal government is one of enumerated powers (and limited thereby), and that States possess what are described as "general police powers". But within those enumerated authorities, the federal government has both superior ( Article VI, cl. 2) and, in many cases, plenary authority. For example, States may not enter into treaties, engage in international warfare, or tax (or even) commerce of and interstate or international character. In my view we have never lost federalism.