Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
Originally Posted By: rporter314
You are simply restating your belief, since Pres Madison was "father" of Constitution it implies we should only believe what he believed, which fails to comprehend the whole document was a compromise between people who wanted a strong federal government and those who essentially did not want a central government. Should we conclude Pres Madison also believed some men were property and should be only accounted as 3/5's of white folk. Perhaps we should apply Madisonian beliefs on black folks?

Did you not read where I said that Madison had help from a lot of very intelligent men in writing our Constitution? Or did you ignore it? It appears that you ignored it. Again you are bringing race into this discussion thus showing who the real racists is. Unfortunately, without the 3/5 compromise our Constitution would never have been written. Because of Article V, which was created by the committee of the whole, the idea that a black man only counted as 3/5 of a person was removed from our Constitution.
Originally Posted By: trporter314
The Constitution allows laws to be written without hindrance of applying for Constitutional amendments. Pres Madison was the stickler but all other people involved in writing the Constitution immediately upon being elected to federal office began the expansion of the government. One has to know what the boundaries are, and there are boundaries, as is evidenced by the SC ruling on laws which they deemed as unConstititional.

Our Constitution created the legislative branch of our government for the express purpose of writing laws that do not require amending it. In Madison's plan for our Constitution he wanted our federal government to have the power to negate state laws. Fortunately he lost that argument.
So again I ask, why arbitrarily select Pres Madison's view and not Hamilton's.

There are several reasons why that should be done.
1) Hamilton was only at the Constitutional Convention about half the time it was in session.
2) He was not an active participant in the convention. The aforementioned Pickneys were more active in the convention than Hamilton was.
3) The New York delegation to the convention originally consisted of three men; John Lansing Jr., Robert Yates, and Alexander Hamilton. Lansing and Yates left the convention early and never returned to it.

The rules of the convention required that a majority of the delegates from a state must agree on what is being discussed for the state to vote on it. Each state had one vote. Since Hamilton was the only delegate from New York at the convention he was not allowed to vote on what was being discussed. Because Hamilton was not there all of the time and wasn't an active voting member of the convention he did not have as much the influence on the writing of it that Madison did. Hamilton's opinions of our Constitution only became influential when he helped write The Federalist Papers.

aside: just musing .... I have to wonder what written in stonists view of modern government would look like from the 1790 perspective of Pres Madison? no army ... no air force ... 4 cabinet positions ... no judicial review ... NO INCOME TAX!!!!. Kinda looks like 50 independent countries with about 35 of them 3rd world nations /// sweet

Because the men at the Constitutional Convention wrote Article V our government has changed when it has been necessary to do so.

You completely ignored this rporter314.