Originally Posted By: CPWILL
Originally Posted By: perotista
I totally agree, the presidency does have way too much power. Now that is the fault of congress itself as over the years, congress has ceded more and more of its Constitutional powers to the presidency and other government agencies and departments.

Two main reasons, those in congress don't like to make hard decisions. Especially decisions that might make voters angry at them. Better to give up that power so when reelection time roles around, congress can say, don't blame me, blame the president, blame the fed, the irs, blame some other government agency. We had nothing to do with it.

the second is those in congress that are of the same party of the president, the administration, trying to give the president everything he wants, try to give him more and more power. Those congress critters of the same party as the president are more part of the administration than the institution of Congress. We don't have a Speaker of the House like a Sam Rayburn or a Mike McCormick or even Carl Albert who would tell a president of their own party, "Hell No, that power belongs to us or you aren't getting that without our approval."

Since then congress has been more than willing if the president is of their own party to give the president everything he wants and even more and more power. Even if that power once belonged to congress.

Yeah, Imma need you to stop writing posts like this and making the rest of us look less well-thought-out by comparison.

LOL, I can't help myself. I really don't care for either major party. If you go back through history you'll find the Democrats in congress tried to give Obama as much power as possible, Republicans opposed that. When Bush was president, the Republicans wanted to give him more power while the Democrats opposed that. Today, it's back to the GOP wanting and trying to give Trump more power. It's been that way going back to Watergate. Only immediately after Watergate did the congress try to regain some of its power it had ceded to the presidency over the years. Congress didn't accomplish much in that task.

What I find interesting is that Democrats in congress were more of a hindrance to Jimmy Carter than the Republicans were. Signs of the times back then I suppose. But that was when Carl Albert was Speaker, the last Speaker that was protective of congress's power.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.