Interesting, being an old fart, I remember a time when both major party's goal was a prosperous, secure and free America. Only the path to obtain that goal was a different. A time when neither party thought the other party was public enemy number one.

I don't think we can get back to where we want to be with both parties dead set on destroy the other. With both parties automatically opposing anything and every that is the other party's idea, proposal, legislation etc. without any regards to the merit of them.

I agree, a reasoned discussion will never take place. In today's polarized, ultra partisan era, the great divide, what's good for America, the country as a whole, everyone, everything, gets lost in an attempt by both parties to gain a political advantage over the other even if it hurts the country in the long run.

I'm very much the cynic when it comes to this and to our present day major parties.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.