Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Current Topics
The Mueller Report
by pdx rick - 12/06/21 11:54 AM
RoundTable For Fall 2021
by pdx rick - 12/06/21 11:48 AM
Beautiful, beautiful language...
by Ken Condon - 12/06/21 06:24 AM
The US's future: The United States of Giiead
by pdx rick - 12/06/21 04:54 AM
lying on the internet
by pondering_it_all - 12/06/21 02:48 AM
What's for dinner?
by Greger - 12/05/21 11:14 PM
A Musical Quiz
by Ken Condon - 12/05/21 11:01 PM
Winning
by TatumAH - 12/05/21 07:44 PM
The Drift, Thread Association Thread
by TatumAH - 12/05/21 04:17 PM
... doubt is our product...
by TatumAH - 12/04/21 08:13 PM
Denialism
by Greger - 12/03/21 03:37 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
I’ll Buy That
by Greger - 12/01/21 07:22 PM
Boundaries for Facebook
by jgw - 11/30/21 06:26 PM
Pacific Northwest Weather
by pdx rick - 11/28/21 08:59 PM
A Fungus Amungus
by logtroll - 11/28/21 01:25 PM
Republicans promise brutal revenge in 2022
by pdx rick - 11/27/21 08:45 PM
masks and vaccinations
by logtroll - 11/27/21 01:36 PM
Vigilantism - why isn’t it illegal?
by logtroll - 11/25/21 11:46 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
9,690,438 my own book page
4,787,268 We shall overcome
3,878,032 Campaign 2016
3,536,929 Trump's Trumpet
2,800,283 3 word story game
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#334914 07/31/2021 5:52 PM
by jgw
jgw
I wasn't sure where to put this. Its interesting. Years ago government was discussed and on tv, and taught in all the schools and people were interested. Then, somehow, we became warriors, congressional powers were gifted to the presidency, and, in the beginning, our military talked a lot about making sure our ranks were fully blooded to make them ready and able to take on the enemy Now, however, we have moved away from government. Its no longer a subject in many schools, both parties are held in incredibly low esteem and our congress is actually considered lower than a worm. Our joy is hammering the whole works. Unending wars, trillions in treasure for supposed victories that never completed. We have a bureaucracy which has not seen an overhaul for well over 75 years! Major businesses will usually hire consultants to vet their operations annually (I remember the days and I became convinced that such consultant skills were, basically simply coming from someplace else. its kind a like importing people that get successful by noticing holes for them to fill).

Anyway, we are currently being given a wonderful example of bureaucracy in action. Biden has now been talking about saving the thousands of allies we are currently abandoning in Afghanistan. He ordered it done, the military agreed to get it done, congress seemed to have agreed its the right thing to do. We are gone in two weeks. We have had months to do it and NOTHING has been done. Now we have emergency plans to ship them someplace save whilst we vet them - if they can get to the capital. Also seems the Taliban don' want that to happen so they are blocking and we are claiming, whining, and failing for all to see! Nobody, incidentally is too concerned because its what we did in Viet Nam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan. We will forget in the blur of politics which is just another example of our inability to function at any high level. In the months since the orders have bone out there has been a constant note that ain't nutt'in happening. NOTHING! Our Incredible bureaucracy is thinking on it, studying, writing about it, etc. They have, basically found a job that they can milk the hell out of and screw this highfalutin talk of keeping our word! We have, I believe, a bureaucracy completely dedicated to itself. Their job is to make damn sure they have a job and, obviously, they can do that REALLY WELL! Screw the mission! I remember, back in the good old days, when government and bureaucracy where the subject and books were published and questions asked. That was just before we went to sleep. its not that there weren't warning is was that we were tired.

We have ignored our government. We pay more attention to grown men and women having hissing contests! WE are supposed to be in charge! We do that, evidently, by ignoring that very fact. We have allowed people to do a great job of separating the nation into virtual warring parties - one side with no leadership and the other autocratic. I keep on thinking somebody will put a stop to it but its great for the contestants! They no longer have time to do their job - they have IMPORTANT things to do!. The fact is that the majority deals with their goverment with "Screw the government, I don' like it anyway" attitude and it just gets worse. TV doesn't mention it, schools don't teach it, and majority don' give a damn anyway.

Its a shame, we know, it and we don't care. Perhaps we actually are not only responsible for it, we actually seem to dote on the results. I certainly don't blame everybody but me because I'm here I am just as responsible as everybody else.

Boring, I know and apologize. Went a couple of weeks without the news and kinda got kicked in the head. Wish there was a solution...................
Liked Replies
#334962 Aug 4th a 05:23 PM
by jgw
jgw
Remember, TV gave us Trump amongst other things. However, TV has yet to mention that the problem over the rental stuff was a problem of the states because they simply never distributed the money given them for dealing with the rental problem. TV seems to make some very strange decisions. I remember Trump as TV was constantly reporting that those running TV were delighted to give Trump all the free time he wanted as TV income went up. He amused the public!
1 member likes this
#334938 Aug 1st a 06:28 PM
by jgw
jgw
Kids learn, its in most of their genes. They don't have to understand so much as learn. You are right, kids don't care about government but, in high school many do and they know its there. They also learn math, and history and, chances are, they don't care for those either - but later? Perhaps! Because they know such exists!

I am not sure what you are talking about, actually I am not sure you know what you are talking about. I do know that you don't seem to think that teaching them about anything they are not interested in is the way to go.

Amazing ...................
1 member likes this
#335100 Aug 19th a 12:16 PM
by logtroll
logtroll
Originally Posted by jgw
We have ignored our government. We pay more attention to grown men and women having hissing contests! WE are supposed to be in charge! We do that, evidently, by ignoring that very fact. We have allowed people to do a great job of separating the nation into virtual warring parties - one side with no leadership and the other autocratic. I keep on thinking somebody will put a stop to it but its great for the contestants! They no longer have time to do their job - they have IMPORTANT things to do!. The fact is that the majority deals with their goverment with "Screw the government, I don' like it anyway" attitude and it just gets worse. TV doesn't mention it, schools don't teach it, and majority don' give a damn anyway.

Maybe the problem is that we are too well off.

What’s going on? Ironically, this growing illiberalism is not the product of bad times, but of a long trend of rising narcissism and a sense of entitlement that was enabled by peace, prosperity, and rapidly improving living standards. The United States and other democracies have real problems, but the rise of a sour and selfish abandonment of democracy is not happening because of social injustice or “economic anxiety.”

Worse, our democracy now practically must run on autopilot independently of a public that is happily and willfully ignorant of the issues and wants nothing to do with the dreary business of governing. And with increasing frequency, our form of government is under attack by bored working and middle-class citizens – led by clever political and television figures – who have no use for democracy other than as slogans and window-dressing around their need to be the constant center of their own reality show.
1 member likes this
#335110 Aug 19th a 03:40 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Originally Posted by Logtroll
Maybe the problem is that we are too well off.

Give that man a cigar! Too well off, and too stupid/reluctant to use our resources wisely.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SuZQ2, KevFilthyANML, Risky, Gladys G. Jackson, Beach Baby
6,297 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics17,257
Posts313,108
Members6,297