Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: logtroll The proper role of religion - 03/09/21 01:29 PM
Excellent analogy... religion should be like bowling!

Quote:
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
What I want to happen to religion in the future is this: I want it to be like bowling. It's a hobby, something some people will enjoy, that has some virtues to it, that will have its own institutions and its traditions and its own television programming, and that families will enjoy together. It's not something I want to ban or that should affect hiring and firing decisions, or that interferes with public policy. It will be perfectly harmless as long as we don't elect our politicians on the basis of their bowling score, or go to war with people who play nine-pin instead of ten-pin, or use folklore about backspin to make decrees about how biology works. -PZ Myers, author, biology professor (b. 9 Mar 1957)
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/09/21 02:49 PM
New revised Golden rule quoth Jesus. NO FAT CHICKS!
Posted By: logtroll Re: The proper role of religion - 03/15/21 01:55 PM
You gotta wonder...

If over 70 million people voted for Trump, and many think he is Jesus, come back as a fat woman who had a sex change operation (who, regardless, has a massive cult following - Jesus only had 12)... I think the evidence indicates that Jesus must have been a lying con man, too. But not as accomplished as the King of the Kons.

Is religion nothing more than a big, fat grift targeting the mentally ill? confused
Posted By: Irked Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 12:41 AM
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Is religion nothing more than a big, fat grift targeting the mentally ill? confused

Give that man a see-gar!
Posted By: Irked Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 12:48 AM
Can be the mentally lazy, as well. Not a completely monolithic group.
Posted By: logtroll Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 01:24 AM
You mean duolithic (too stoned)?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 01:39 AM
Megalithic
Posted By: logtroll Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 02:03 AM
Stoned BIG time!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 03:05 AM

Four decades worth!

Gotta got find my NIP!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 02:16 PM
4. Elisha and the Two Bears (2 Kings 2:23-25)
Introduction

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria. Religion's problem! Bear deficiency!

Screw the BeaTATudes we need more BearTaTudes!
Posted By: jgw Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 05:51 PM
I just googled "Render unto Caesar". I got about 816,000 results (0.72 seconds). Say that half of those responses were telling the reader just what that means. This would leave us with no fewer than 408,000 interpretations as to God's will. The title of this subject is "the proper role of religion".

Pretty impressive! 408,000 interpretations! The whole thing boils down to the simple fact that there seems to be a bit of confusion. Remember, this is just interpretation of one little line! (there are a LOT of lines!)

So - the proper role of religion is, well, er, you know...............
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 07:28 PM
6 to 5 you pick ummm
Posted By: TatumAH Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 07:39 PM
gimmie that ole time religion,
No not that!
Posted By: Greger Re: The proper role of religion - 03/16/21 10:33 PM
The role of religion throughout history has been control of the "masses"

It's just that simple.

The proper role of religion should have been something else entirely.

Some of you know that I'm a practicing pagan. Something along the spiritual but not religious lines. It's an earth friendly movement with no threats or rewards. I just don't totally discount that there are minor gods around us who will happily pull rugs from under us Loki, Coyote, Michabo and many more. Beware the tricksters...they are the deliverers of Karma. They are the spiritual embodiment of Murphy's Law.

Maybe I am religious...
Posted By: Irked Re: The proper role of religion - 03/17/21 12:36 AM
Religion serves a number of purposes:

1) control the masses - best done with incomprehensible rites and texts that must be explained by leaders

2) a system that answers the common man’s “Why?” - doesn’t need to make sense, but works best if the narrative is simple and unwavering, e.g. “God chose to do it that way and His ways are inscrutable.”

3) eternal punishment for the evil and blasphemous - Karmic? Probably not the correct definition but something very similar.

The rulers very much like to use #1. People in general do ask Why? And people seem to be born with a (self-centered) sense of justice.

Which all goes a long way toward explaining the staying power of religion.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: The proper role of religion - 03/17/21 05:08 AM
The Will Of God is actually pretty easy to discern: It's almost always that the cult leader should get to diddle all the 12 year old virgins. Or if it's a large cult, then he gets to diddle all he wants of the attractive ones, and his supporters (male of course) get to diddle the rest.

You will note I said "virgins" without reference to gender. Usually it's girls, but sometimes it's boys.
Posted By: jgw Re: The proper role of religion - 03/17/21 05:11 PM
I have been assured, by other, that you are more likely to get your ask from those who are short of followers than those that are not. That being the case you are probably in a good place.
Posted By: jgw Re: The proper role of religion - 03/19/21 05:16 PM
Religion is, basically, something that lets us believe that there is a better place we get to go to after we die. All the rest is just blah, blah, blah.

Oh, and the blah, blah, blah, is a constantly moving target given to us by them that pay a lot of attention to those voices in their own minds. I would suggest that one should be very careful when it comes to people who do that.
Posted By: logtroll Re: The proper role of religion - 03/24/21 05:53 PM
Posted By: Greger Re: The proper role of religion - 03/24/21 07:36 PM
Nice image, Loggy!

I stole it for future use.
Posted By: logtroll Re: The proper role of religion - 03/24/21 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Greger
Nice image, Loggy!

I stole it for future use.

It was at Burning Man one year. It’s amazing how a thing like that can pretty much cover all the bases. A picture worth a zillion words!
© ReaderRant