Capitol Hill Blue
Interesting .... now the President says he is exempt from his own EO.
Originally Posted by rporter314
Interesting .... now the President says he is exempt from his own EO.
Since he has declared himself exempt from the Constitution and laws passed by Congress this is not surprising.
What is interesting is why would the President write an EO instructing members of the Executive Office on the fine points of management of classified materials and then implicitly exempt the most visible member who handles the most sensitive materials?
Now for an interesting twist
Democrats plan to cut Cheney out of executive funding bill

I guess in his efforts to remain secretive he may now be faced with no funding for his continued secrecy.

What a predicament he has gotten into.
It does make one wonder just what he is hiding? The fascist buggers need to be placed on trial for high treason!
Just read the first part of a four part series on Cheney. This appears to be a must read if anyone wants to try and understand him.

'A Different Understanding With the President'
You know, I try, I really do, not to be so damned cynical but I read about the s*** Cheney and Bush are doing and then I see that the Republican Party doesn't seem to mind all that much and even the Democratic Party doesn't seem all that bothered. Here is the problem with all that - Bush and Cheney are establishing a precedence that will continue if not stopped. If Bush and Cheney are not impeached for the s*** they have done and are doing then every administration in succession will, sooner or later, revert to the same crap. Count on it. I don't want ANY administration to be above the Constitution, but this one is and neither party is doing a damn thing about it. Wrong is wrong.

I wish just once, just once America would vote all these bastards out of office and re-establish for all to know who this country belongs to.
You are absolutely right; if the Bush/Cheney Cancer is not incised from the system then this country will pay the ultimate price! This is not just a matter of this Administration, but as we have seen, once the government curtails Liberty and Freedom it will never fully reinstate them or relinquish its control. The Bush/Cheney Administration has used all manner of criminal and immoral activity to maintain and expand its grip on power. They believe their despotic grasp of power to be unlimited and unconditional by essentially asserting that the People do not deputize their authority but by an arcane interpretation of executive power, which suits their purposes completely. In other words, they seem to believe their power and authority to be original and not deputized or granted by the People. The Bush/Cheney trespass must be curtailed, denied and punished!

Those in our government who ignore the fact that they have been deputized by the People to perform a very limited duty under the Contract of the People, they should be considered unfit for such duty. If those, within this government or any administration of government, do not realize and fully seek to implement the principle that the power to legislate is not the ultimate power, but that the People retain, through Providential Grant, the ultimate Power, then those politicians are unfit to govern.

The People must again reassert their Power and must do so at any cost or we will lose this Republic to a form of coercive despotism that will only seek to expand its grasp over the People.
The People can, I believe, bypass the weak willed self-serving Congress and force a grand jury to investigate the high crimes and misdomeanors of Bush and Cheney. I'm not certain as to how it is done. One thing is for certain Nancy Pelosi has no intention of doing anything that would remove Bush or Cheney from office. George Bush, Dick Cheney, Alberto Gonzales and Congress are far greater threats to the rights and freedoms of every American citizen than Saddamn Hussien ever was! Iran as a threat to our way of life is insignificant compared to this Administration and this Congress.
The prosecutor for such a "grand jury" would still have to be appointed by the "justice" dept. Point, set, match! In their planning, nothing has been left to chance, and a toadely dysfunctional J dept and "AG" were clearly seen to be essential for the end game...

TAT
I read today, or yesterday, on Raw Story I believe, that Dem House leader Rahm Emanuel introduced an amendment to cut funding for the Executive Office of the Vice President completely out of the Supplementary Budget until it was established what branch of government, if any, Mr. Cheney's office was connected to.

laugh

Another interesting angle:

What neither Edwards nor Simpson chose to point out was the fact that the oil revenues generated from the 600,000 barrels per day that the Saudis paid into the Al-Yamamah fund from 1985 through to the present, amounted to an estimated $160 billion--four times the actual cost of the entire military package delivered by BAE to Saudi Arabia. Nobody in London is talking about where the rest of the money landed--and what it was used for.

shocked
Unless VP "Unca Dick" Cheney and President Bush are reined in promptly and severely it will only become worse. Assholes the world over are as they are until they are put in their place. This isn't secret knowledge. Cheney will continue as HE wants if someone doesn't clock his butt and tell him the way it is and the way it will be from now on. Congress is not going to even try. F-ing nancies.
The Saudi royals are off limits.
Whoa...good call!
Now for an interesting twist
Democrats plan to cut Cheney out of executive funding bill

I guess in his efforts to remain secretive he may now be faced with no funding for his continued secrecy.
And the democrats are going to do this? Right! just like they insisted there be a timetable in the Iraq funding bill? Exactly! The democrats are gonna do squat to stop any of these criminals!

That's right. The Dems are not enough of a majority to do anything. It used to be that they would say they are the minority, so they can't do anything. Now they are the majority and they don't even try!

BAH! Sorry for the rant. I'm just tired of this helpless feeling! There is no one left for the average person to depend on. NO ONE!
From Rep. Emmanuel's office:

[Linked Image]

Posted by pastor Agnostic on the Round Table:

Pushing the Envelope on Presidential Power

Definitely worth the read.

Waxman said that the . . . Defense Department . . . should incorporat[e] the language of Geneva's Common Article 3 . . . exactly the language -- prohibiting cruel, violent, humiliating and degrading treatment -- that Cheney had spent three years expunging from U.S. policy.

"Every vice chief came out strongly in favor, as did every JAG," or judge advocate general, recalled Mora, who was Navy general counsel at the time.

<SNIP>

Waxman, believing his opponents isolated, circulated a draft of DOD Directive 2310. Within a few days, Addington and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's chief of staff, invited Waxman for a visit.

According to Mora, Waxman returned from the meeting with the message that his draft was "unacceptable to the vice president's office." Another defense official, who made notes of Waxman's report, said Cheney's lawyer ridiculed the vagueness of the Geneva ban on "outrages upon personal dignity," saying it would leave U.S. troops timid in the face of unpredictable legal risk. When Waxman replied that the official White House policy was far more opaque, according to the report, Addington accused him of trying to replace the president's decision with his own.

"The impact of that meeting is that Directive 2310 died," Mora said.

And the democrats are going to do this?

Well according to Top Democrat claims 'overwhelmingly positive' response to move to defund the Vice President
Michael Roston

"On the Hill, there's an overwhelmingly positive reaction," a spokesman for Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL) told RAW STORY Monday afternoon.

Of course this could mean he got one other person interested.

I don't know what else we're waiting for.

Well according to Dodd tells crowd in Rochester impeaching Cheney won't help
By ADAM D. KRAUSS

"There are too many other issues out there the American public were hoping Democrats would decide to address and focus on. That's the choice you make. Others may make a different focus. My choice would be to focus on other agenda items," he said.

I guess if we follow that line of thinking to it's logical conclusion we would find at no time would we actually impeach any public official for anything they did. Wow where do we get these characters?
Report: Cheney backs off on claim that he is 'fourth branch of government'

However, Cheney's change of tack does not mean that Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), Chairman of the Democratic Caucus, will end his drive to defund the Vice President's $4 million-plus appropriation for the next fiscal year.

"Emanuel said the vote is still planned, and said the new position means the vice president needs to comply with National Archives requirements," Allen added.

Round One to Emmanuel. grin
The People can, I believe, bypass the weak willed self-serving Congress and force a grand jury to investigate the high crimes and misdomeanors of Bush and Cheney. I'm not certain as to how it is done.

It's done under the direction of the local United States Attorney.

Guess what the chances are that any of those Loyal Bushies will jump on that one.

OK I am under the impression "high crimes and misdemeanors" are not criminal offenses and so can only be addressed through impeachment which of course would mean trial in Senate.

I did a quick search but didn't find anything which would clarify this question.
Originally Posted by rporter314

OK I am under the impression "high crimes and misdemeanors" are not criminal offenses and so can only be addressed through impeachment which of course would mean trial in Senate.

I did a quick search but didn't find anything which would clarify this question.

High crimes and misdemeanoers is an inexact phrase of uncertain meaning. It includes crimes however. The thing is, only impeachment and conviction can result in the removal of an elected offical.

A criminal conviction does not do that. Remember Spiro Agnew? He resigned after the criminal conviction.
Can't Mr. Cheney be held for crimes (...and Mr. Bush for that matter) after they leave Office?
Even during thier term they can be convicted of a crime, but again, impeachment is the only way, other than term limits or elections, to remove them.
House defeats bid to defund Cheney's VP office

By a vote of 217-209, the House defeated legislation designed to rebuke Cheney for refusing, over objections by the National Archives, to comply with an executive order that set government-wide procedures for safeguarding classified national security information.

I'm just assuming here that a super-majority was required, but the Amendment still attracted a majority vote.

Score Emmanuel 2, Cheney 1.

Cheney's office rejoiced at the failure to achieve a super-majority, proclaiming "we are pleased to see a bipartisan majority reject this political stunt."

[Linked Image]

One point penalty for being deliberately disingenuous.

[Linked Image]

Score Emmanuel 1, Cheney 0.

Incidentally, my man Kucinich's Articles of Impeachment (that's H Res 333 for anyone who hasn't read them yet) picked up two more co-sponsors: Georgia's Hank Johnson and the Honorable Muslim Congressman from Minnesota, Mr. Keith Ellison!

Can anybody explain to me why this Bill offered by a little White guy from Cleveland has attracted exactly nine co-sponsors, exactly seven of whom are Black, and the other two are women?

[Linked Image]
OMG! [Linked Image]

Here's the roll call!

"Bipartisan Majority" "defeats" defunding of Cheney's office

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

The majority voted FOR defunding. Exactly TWO (count 'em, two) Republicans voted for defunding. Guess who they were? Really, you can get it right without even looking.

And even better, my Blue Dog Congressman voted AYE! I get to call him and say thank you AGAIN!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted By: Slipped Mickey
You know, I try, I really do, not to be so damned cynical but I read about the s*** Cheney and Bush are doing and then I see that the Republican Party doesn't seem to mind all that much and even the Democratic Party doesn't seem all that bothered. Here is the problem with all that - Bush and Cheney are establishing a precedence that will continue if not stopped. If Bush and Cheney are not impeached for the s*** they have done and are doing then every administration in succession will, sooner or later, revert to the same crap. Count on it. I don't want ANY administration to be above the Constitution, but this one is and neither party is doing a damn thing about it. Wrong is wrong.

I wish just once, just once America would vote all these bastards out of office and re-establish for all to know who this country belongs to.

Here we are twelve years later and everything you said would happen, has happened, and much more.
I intentionally necroed this old thread to remind everyone of Slipped Mickey's warning, and how eerily prescient it was back in 2007, when another "unitary executive" decided they did not have enough power, and that the law did not apply to him.
© ReaderRant