Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Mellowicious A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:04 AM
We don’t have a music thread, or did I miss it?

These questions grew out (way out) of a discussion I wanted to have about great songs and great songwriters. Being an aspiring songwriter himself he didn’t really want to discuss it.

So I have a couple of questions I’m asking. But first - should we eliminate Leon Russell and the Dead, jus5 to make Jeffery and Olive dig deeper?

Try to limit yourself to two answers for this round. I refer to songs but classical music is included

1. Name one (or two) songs that stop you in your tracks
2. Name one (or two) songs you like that are totally out of your normal genre
3. Name a song “everybody” loves that leaves you cold
4. Name a song (or two) that consistently lightens your heart and makes you feel good.

Okay, here goes:
1. “The Boxer,” Simon & Garfunkel, studio version only
“Wichita Lineman,” written by Jimmy Webb, performed by Glen Campbell
2. “One True Vine,” Mavis Staples
(See also “Wichita Lineman)
3. I should probably change my password after this but - John Lennon’s “Imagine”
4. Suzy Ragsdale’s “Best Regards” is on just about every playlist I have, and heads up my “hit the highway for awhile” list.

Anybody wanna play? I’m thinking next round should be “Songs you love to hate/hate to love,” and or “pop songs that take you back to childhood.”
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:29 AM
My Immortal - Evanescence | Landslide - Fleetwood Mac | Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers | The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot | City of Blinding Lights - U2 (Paradise Soul Vocal Remix)
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong | Sinnerman - Nina Simone| Georgy Girl - Seekers | | To Sir With Love - Lulu
3. Name a song “everybody” loves that leaves you cold:
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite
4. Name a song (or two) that consistently lightens your heart and makes you feel good.
Good For Me - Above and Beyond (Redanka Remix) | Hero - Afrojack & David Guetta
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 01:00 PM
I started to think about it several times, but find it impossible to play the game, for several reasons. One is that I am not much good at remembering names - song names or artists. The other is that too many possibilities crowd upon one another, and being terminally open-minded (you can take that as non-judgemental, wishy-washy, or perhaps just mentally drafty and leaky), I am averse to making choices that I know will not stand for long.

Did I ever share that I experienced more than a year of waking up in the morning with a different song in my head, and there were only maybe ten repeats the whole time (if you don’t believe me, you can fantasize about asking my wife, who was blessed with hearing my stunning rendition of each and every one of them). A very curious thing is that very few of those morning songs were from the artists whom I had ever been addicted to - I often wasn’t clear on where I had heard them enough to explain how I knew so many of the words, as it could only have been on someone else’s radio. I’d say most of them were country western and R&B. Lots of times I didn’t know the name of the song or the artist.

Anyway, I guess we’re even now for raising uncomfortable topics that make us think…

:doh: tinfoilhat LOL
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 01:14 PM
Oh, log, none of these answers are permanent! And I’m terrible with names and titles as well.

Rick - I haven’t thought of “George Girl” in a very long time, but I love it. Thanks for bringing it up.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 01:28 PM
Sources say 79,000,000 songs have been written…

“There are so many songs in the playlist,
So many songs in my mind each morn,
So many songs on the radio,
And I hear every one!”

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:20 PM
"You can Havre,
I don't want her,
She didn't love me, anyway..."

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:33 PM
Havre’s on the Hi-Line, innit?

“So many colors in the rainbow, so many colors in the morning sun. So many colors in a flower, and I see every one!”
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:36 PM
My most favorite Johnny Cash song is Ring of Fire.

Lest Friday on Fresh Air, Terry Gross interviewed Ray Charles who did a cover of that song. Terry made-mention that the song was written by June Cash. Ray Charles was surprised to learn that, because he didn't know that. (Neither did I. smile )

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:39 PM
...but my favorite version of the song is by Wall of Voodoo:

Posted By: Greger Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:41 PM
I started to think about it several times, but find it impossible to play the game, for several reasons.

I've been functionally deaf for years.

Music is mostly a memory to me. It's like food without taste...sex without climax.

Just not much point in it anymore.

Like a painting to a blind man who saw it before he went blind.

Movies are kinda useless to me too...podcasts...audiobooks...alarm clocks.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:43 PM
Loggy, I'll see your Harry Chapin Roses are Red, and raise you Harry Chapin Cats in a Cradle: smile

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:47 PM
When i was listening to old 70s songs (Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot), YouTube suggested this song:

The lyrics to this song are fantastic. It's about some villagers jelly that some people who live up on a mountain have a "buried treasure" which is a rock that is inscribed with "Peace on Earth." The villagers only find this out when they go up the mountain and kill the mountain people. The villagers then turn over the rock and read what it says.

Irony! Bow
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
[...[l]ike a painting to a blind man who saw it before he went blind.
In the Fresh Air interview of Ray Charles I mentioned above, Ray started to go blind at the age of six and was fully blind by age 10. He said his mother made him memorize where things were in the house and how to do things by practicing as a blind person while he could still see. He learned how to cook, how to do laundry and other every day life things.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:01 PM
I believe that’s the theme from a really bad movie. Huge hit when it was made e. “Billy Jack, “ that was it.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
I believe that’s the theme from a really bad movie. Huge hit when it was made e. “Billy Jack, “ that was it.
Indeed it is. Maureen McGovern covered the song for the really bad movie, Billy Jack.

How the song relates to the movie, I don't have a clue, I've never seen the movie. I will go out on a limb and say there is no connection between the two...from what I have heard about the movie. Hmm
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:08 PM
And I see we might have to start a Harry Chaplin thread…who knew there’d be so many Chaplin fans in such a small space.

Greger, my apologies in not thinking of your hearing difficulties when I started this thread. To be honest, I have a very difficult time communicating with one of my sisters - not because of her hearing impairment, but because I forget about it and forget to adjust my listening/speaking accordingly.

Then again I’d bet your memory is pretty good.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by pdx rick
I believe that’s the theme from a really bad movie. Huge hit when it was made. “Billy Jack, “ that was it.
Indeed it is. Maureen McGovern covered the song for the really bad movie, Billy Jack.

How the song relates to the movie, I don't have a clue, I've never seen the movie. I will go out on a limb and say there is no connection between the two...from what I have heard about the movie. :Hmm

I think maybe Billy Jack was supposed to embody the “One Tin Soldier.” His character was one of a few “Magic Indians,” a parallel to the “Magic Negro” category - the minority whose task is to save the day.

As for songs not related to movies, I’ll give $5 and a homemade apple pie to anyone who can justify “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on my Head” to “Butch Cassidy” in anyway, shape, or form. It was clearly meant only as a promo for the movie; there was no other connection at all.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:25 PM
...per Wikipedia:

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.[3] The uplifting lyrics describe somebody who overcomes his troubles and worries by realizing that "it won't be long 'till happiness steps up to greet me."[4][5]
I'll take the $5 in Bitcoin, thanks. smile
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 04:30 PM
Um - you do know how the movie ends?

You’ve accurately described the song, but not its place in the movie.

Nice try.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 05:35 PM
Um - you do know how the movie ends?

You’ve accurately described the song, but not its place in the movie.

Nice try.
LOL

I haven't seen the movie. My memory of movies start with Jaws, Poseidon Adventure, Towering inferno. Everything before that I have to see on video.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 05:42 PM
Try this one. It’s good, it’s funny, it’s Paul Newman. Redford was young and hot. Worth a watch.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/26/21 06:58 PM
So I have a couple of questions I’m asking. But first - should we eliminate Leon Russell and the Dead, jus5 to make Jeffery and Olive dig deeper?

Try to limit yourself to two answers for this round. I refer to songs but classical music is included

I just saw this!

Oh good grief. Seriously, Mellow?

You think I can't do it, don't you?
Gotta think a little bit but I'll be back.
grin
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 12:02 AM
If only Christianity was more like this song…

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 12:51 AM
Oh lord. I love this production. I've seen it on stage three times. First time here at the Classic Center, original Jesus, Ian Gillan. A customer took me to Atlanta (can't remember the name of the stage where she had season tickets.). It was fantastic. All Black cast except one white person. It was done in a rap/hip hop style. It was amazing.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 02:56 AM
I don't know how Maureen McGovern got associated with One Tin Soldier, but the artist who covered the song in the 1971 film is Coven.

I looked on the Billy Jack Soundtrack liner notes that I found online.

Even Coven's version is a cover. The song was originally recorded in 1969 by The Caste. The song is written by two Candians. (Pacifist Canadians, what?? smile )

I'm probably the one who associated Maureen McGovern with the song when I put One Tin Soldier into YouTube and her track came and I just made an assumption. My bad. blush

Proper credit goes to Coven for covering the song on the Billy Jack Soundtrack. Bow
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 04:06 AM
While listening to Coven's One Tin Solider, YouTube recommended another song:

Did the group Paul Revere and the Raiders catch hell for this song back in the day for misappropriation? Hmm
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 10:55 AM
You be the judge.

My high school counselor was an early member of the group.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by logtroll
You be the judge.

So not in 1971, but during a 2019 revisit of the song. Sounds about right. smile
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 12:08 PM
Anybody ever hear of these guys?

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 05:40 PM
I don’t think “misappropriation” was a recognized “thing” back then, to anyone who wasn’t being ripped off.

Here’s something a little more authentic, though.

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 05:42 PM
And one more that grabs me by th3 heart andI have no idea why. Often it will stay with me for days.

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 08:14 PM
Ed Sillyman! I haven’t thought about him in a while. Meanwhile Mellow are the songs you were thinking about solely vocals or can they be instrumentals also?

I like so many different songs and different styles music it’s hard to come up with Anything specific but I like this guy is trumpeting style in this song in particular. It’s sort of reminds me of a demented Gypsy merry-go-round ride.

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 10:19 PM
Anything at all, Ken. Let your freak flag fly!

PS I lik3 that piece!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/28/21 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
...reminds me of a demented Gypsy merry-go-round ride.
And where did you run across a demented Gypsy merry-go-round? Was that a side hustle back in the day, or something?
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 12:09 AM

This is not my style (oh shoot everything is my style) but it makes me grin and sometimes even dance a little. I love each and everyone of these guys
Posted By: NW Ponderer Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 12:15 AM
1) Unchained melody - Righteous Brothers
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
2) I hope you dance - Lee Ann Womack (Not much into country)
3) My Way - Frank Sinatra. The performance is great, the words suck. (What a bunch of narcissism)
4) What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Somewhere over the Rainbow - especially by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole
and (cheating) America the Beautiful - Ray Charles
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 12:58 AM
That’s an awesome song Melolyve. Who cannot help but like that one? Brings a smile as did “here comes the sun” played for the first time after a gloomy northwest winter. Which, by the way, do not seem to happen anymore.

I’m going to give some thought to this question Mellow. Gotta think about it for awhile and I probably won’t get back until tomorrow. But I find it an interesting “assignment.” Difficult as hell.

Were you a teacher?
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 02:06 AM
That’s an awesome song Melolyve.

haha... my new name. I like it!

Me too on all the categories, Mellow.
That's very hard.
There's not much music I don't like (dancing either).
And you cut out the Dead for me. Sheesh.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 02:08 AM
A little local entertainment until I figure it out
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 02:33 AM
My favorite B-52 song:

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 02:37 AM
...and I love, love, LOVE this collaboration between Kate and Iggy Pop:

Kate: Down on the street, those men are all the same...
I need love, not games, not games.

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 02:52 AM
Iggy Pop = Heroin chic eek2
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 03:06 AM
Another collaboration that I really like...

cool
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 03:28 AM
Since I am on a collaboration bent, there is a brand-new collaboration between Sir Elton John and Dua Lipa called Cold Heart. It's a mashup (mashup = two or more different songs playing at the same time) of Sacrifice/ Rocketman / Kiss the Bride / Where's the Shoorah.

Dua Lipa is a British Electronic Dance Music artist and she sings the Rocket Man parts. This track was released 08/19/21. Enjoy!

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 03:35 AM
...and speaking of Rocket Man, my most favorite remix of the track...

My teeth started grinding just hearing this track. FLASHBACKS!! LOL
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 04:03 AM
Well chit. I have heard that MDMA can cure… or at least alleviate Covid?

Just something I have heard. I have done no double blind tests nor any sort of that thing. But I am sure if it has spread throughout the Internet there might be some sort of big following for that cure.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 04:12 AM
Well chit. I have heard that MDMA can cure… or at least alleviate Covid?.
Hateful conservatives getting luved-up? Actually, it might be good for their rotten dispositions. smile
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 04:32 PM
My favorite B-52 song:

smile

I don't know that B 52s, Rick. Cool.

One of my all time favorite Elton John:

I would love to see him live!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by olyve
Is Elton on his last legs???
Posted By: Greger Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 06:19 PM
Aren't we all?
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 07:03 PM
I'm still on my first legs, but they ain't what they usta be.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 09:09 PM

:doh:
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 11:30 PM
It's not my fault. Mello taught me to read things funny... or maybe it was your Suthrun accent?
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/29/21 11:52 PM
It is your fault. I caint hep it ifn I tawk funny.
Mello knows better than to let you pick on me!
She talks funny too.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 02:07 AM
No. Why would you say that?!? Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 02:12 AM
My favorite B-52 song:

smile

I don't know that B 52s, Rick. Cool!
Does your post mean that you've never heard that B52s song? It came out in 1992. Relased in the US, Germany and Europe on Reprise records.

smile

Do you like that song? I like the ethereal vocals aspect of the song.

I have not seen that video in Y-E-A-R-S. I forgot about the Adam and Eve cuddle scene. I also didn't realize it back then, but there sure are a lot of gay boys in that video. Back then I wouldn't have noticed because I've always liked guys 35-50. I just looked past guys in their 20s back then.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 02:16 AM

Exactly! rolleyes
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 02:18 AM
It is your fault. I caint hep it ifn I tawk funny.
Mello knows better than to let you pick on me!
She talks funny too.
I don't remember that about Mellow. I met her mebbe 2009-ish. I had to go to Iowa for a FF complaint. I flew in and out of Omaha and we had dinner.

smile
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 03:03 AM
No. Why would you say that?!? Hmm
Live and let die…
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 03:08 AM
Let Sir Elton live!!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 03:17 AM
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 03:30 AM
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 02:57 PM
Logtroll - you just reminded me that there is one gospel song I really loved before Mavis Staples’ “One True Vine,” and that’s “Down to the River.” That recording is from “Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?” Isn’t it?

Trying to catch up with this thread. I’m glad you all picked it up and ran with it and, okay, Melanie, you can use the Dead.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 03:48 PM
They used the song in "O, Brother", and Alison Krauss sang it, but I don't know that it is the same recording.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 10:38 PM
I have not really completed my homework assignment but this song falls into your number one category. It’s a song that was very popular in Hawaii in the early to mid-1970s. Sung in English but still with that old style Hawaiian slack key style playing.

And that “The Baldy” was lovely Loggy:

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 09/30/21 11:10 PM
And regarding number four:

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 12:42 AM
Not sure if this fits in the number three slot but it’s the best I can do. Used to have this 45 single when I was a kid and the canary would sing along with it. It was pretty dang funny:

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 12:57 AM
My favorite B-52 song:

smile

I don't know that B 52s, Rick. Cool!
Does your post mean that you've never heard that B52s song? It came out in 1992. Relased in the US, Germany and Europe on Reprise records.

smile

Do you like that song? I like the ethereal vocals aspect of the song.

I have not seen that video in Y-E-A-R-S. I forgot about the Adam and Eve cuddle scene. I also didn't realize it back then, but there sure are a lot of gay boys in that video. Back then I wouldn't have noticed because I've always liked guys 35-50. I just looked past guys in their 20s back then.

I have never heard that song, Rick. I really like the B 52s funky stuff and wonderfully weird fun videos but I'm not as familiar of all of it as I should be (please don't tell on me).
Yes, the B52s are very gay friendly.
They are really fun people. I don't know them personally but I have friends that do.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:00 AM
And regarding number four:

I really like this one. Duh.
Plus I love her voice.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:05 AM
Indeed Mel!

And coming in at number three is the song I have absolutely despised from the day I first heard it. Not only are the lyrics insanely sappy but the instrumentals are beyond pathetic. Especially with that warbling lead guitar doing his thang in the background. I present you with:

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:42 AM
Hulk want smash when Hulk hears this…….travesty.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:54 AM
Meanwhile I present you with one of my favorite acoustic string band songs and group of all time. My dawg can these guys play!

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 02:17 AM
That’s nice, Ken, peaceful, but sad. Thanks for posting it.

And I must admit that I really like “Crimson and Clover,” bu mostly because it reminds me of a time when my sisters were still living at home and I was a little kid (more or less.)
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 02:27 AM
That might be a problem when critiquing music because it is likely possible to always offend another one’s “sensibilities.” There’s another word I hate. Sensibilities.

Wouldn’t it be non-sensibilities? At least from the opposing side? At least for me
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 02:31 AM
And which songs were you referring to mellow that I posted?
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 02:44 AM
Sorry, Ken I was referring to the Hawaiian song. But I love Dave Grisman’s bluegrass as well - I just missed that one the first time round.

Melanie, okay, you can use the Dead. BUT — you have to give Dylan credit for “Masterpiece.”
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 03:35 AM
Attempted humor:

Q: Why would it be ill-advised for an alcoholic older roofing crew to be reinfected with the chickenpox virus?

A: Because then it would be likely that they could suffer from both the shakes and the shingles at the same time.

Lo siento……..
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:16 PM
I believe that’s “Yo siento mucho.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/01/21 01:49 PM
Attempted humor:

Q: Why would it be ill-advised for an alcoholic older roofing crew to be reinfected with the chickenpox virus?

A: Because then it would be likely that they could suffer from both the shakes and the shingles at the same time.

Nailed it!
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 01:32 AM
OK then, so here’s another one that I like. I suppose I should post something from a newer music group but hey, that’s what us older people do….we reminisce. From the San Francisco Bay area, I think it was Oakland around 1973, this is from the group called Cold Blood. They had a lead singer gal who is all of 4’10’ but man she could belt it out.

And I think from time to time they still get together in some smaller night clubs in the area. And Lydia Pence is still rocking it:

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 04:15 AM
In the late '70s and early 80's, there was a record label called 415 Records out of San Francisco/Oakland which had some really impressive artists that charted.

415 Records

smile
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 06:06 AM
Queso…you guys. Put this in your pipe and smoke it. Or if you are not into the position to do so just drink a glass of wine, do some cubensis, proceed with a shoulder massage at the same time.

And immerse yourself in the acoustic musical instrumental masterpiece I present you with here:

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 06:28 AM
And Greger I am so terribly sorry you can’t hear this. Of all the senses I think sight and sound are the worst to lose.

I wish I could give you some sort of comforting retort, but I can’t.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 04:44 PM
Melanie, okay, you can use the Dead. BUT — you have to give Dylan credit for “Masterpiece.”

Ok I tell you what Jules, I'll compromnise.
This isn't the Dead.

I do indeed give Bob Dylan the credit for Masterpiece (I like the Dead version better though). I also give him credit for this one.
(an aside to Ken....see? After all Jerry is just a cover band....grin.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 07:16 PM
Melanie, I love you like a duck, but anybody but Dylan singing “Tangled Up in Blue” is just, well, it’s damn near sacrilege.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 08:23 PM
And to prove that I’m not overprotective of Dylan (like he needs it):

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/02/21 09:43 PM
Mellow, I LOVE Bob Dylan. He is one of the finest song writers Ever in my opinion. That's why so many people (including the Dead) cover him.
I love Jerry's voice and his back up's band's version better.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dissing him.
We have a Grateful Dead tribute band here (that tours) who I think play an even better version of Tangled than Jerry or Bob's.
I generally enjoy listening to most cover bands. What a compliment to the original artist.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 12:35 AM
Melanie?

I..was.. kidding!
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 12:58 AM
And I was poking you back.
I know you. You like to stir the pot.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 03:14 AM
Okay, sometimes I don’t write well, I really am sorry..

A new question for the thread, in part due to Olyve’s post and in part due to something I heard on the radio tonight.

Any good song gets covered in live performance. I don’t mind that; sometimes it’s well done, sometimes not, but that’s the way with live music.

Recordings strike me as being different.
A little while ago I heard a cover of Steely Dan’s “Barrytown” with a Hammond B3 and a jazz singer. It was very well-done, and I really didn’t like it. The melody, the harmony, and the lyrics are so clearly
owned by, in the style of, Steely Dan, that anything
else sounds forced.

So, being stodgy me, I really don’t want to hear “Barrytown” recorded by anyone but Steely Dan.

Comments? Denials? Accusations of being an old lady?
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 03:44 AM
You're speaking to "covers" Mellow.

When an artist sings a song originally sung by another singer, the term for the newest version of the song is "cover." Many covers are better than the original. I cite "I will always love you" by Dolly Parton. Whitney Houston covered that song, and the song was incrementally better than the original in form, style, and production.

It is often the case that the original is better than a cover. I cite "Tears of a clown" in 1970 by Smokey Robinson. The origin is better than the 1979 cover by The English Beat.

Music is all subjective and is individual to everyone. smile

Which is better, the 1969 original Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells, or the 1981 cover by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts? Hmm

I personally like the Joan Jett cover due to its production. Plus Joan essentially came out as Lesbian in 1981 by not changing the lyrics to the song - she kept the pronoun the same. Not even The Village People were out in 1981. gobsmacked ...but I knew they were gay in 1977 when I saw their Macho Man album cover. You know the saying...it takes one to know one? smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 04:24 AM
As an aside...

Songs are covered; movies are remade or reimagined. smile

Class is dismissed. laugh
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 03:36 PM
Turns out Prince covered Crimson and Clover as well, and I give it a "boo, hiss" and a thumbs down. Horrible! Just really, really horrible. No wonder his version never charted. gobsmacked

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 03:41 PM
Both Tommy James and Joan Jett are American artists obviously...so why do they sing "her" as "hah" instead of a hard "er?"

Hmm

I would understand if Joan was mimicking Tommy if Tommy was British, but Tommy is not. So why did Tommy choose to record the song with a British accent? crazy

Tommy is still alive. Mebbe I'll track him down and ask him. idea
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 04:03 PM
Yes, lots and lots of songs are covered, and covered well. I wasn’t thinking of good or bad covers, particularly, but but of iconic songs that are so tied to a particular performer that no one else can really do the song well.

“Lovin’ You (is easy cause you’re beautiful)” by Minnie Ripperton might be another example. Love it or hate it, I think that song belongs to her.

(A local radio show often has a section solely of covers of a single song. It’s great.)
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 04:30 PM
Y“Lovin’ You (is easy cause you’re beautiful)” by Minnie Ripperton might be another example. Love it or hate it, I think that song belongs to her.
Absolutely!!! Bow

...and it would be sacrilegious for anyone to cover that song and doing so would be an absolute unwelcomed afront. smile
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 11:38 PM
How about earliest song you can remember? I learned this one (first verse, anyway) in Mormon primary class when I was three.

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 11:56 PM
Earliest song I can remember is...

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/03/21 11:58 PM
...another is:

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 12:27 AM
This one gets me on my feet and happy.

Just for you, Julia. I think you'll like it.
I love Mick Jagger's candor.

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:13 AM
Minnie Ripperton!

So that’s the song I was trying to remember with that high-pitched little wailing shriek she does. I simply could not remember who sang it nor the name of the song so thanks Mellow. Is it one of my favorites?

I shall leave you in suspense…….
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:22 AM
Earliest song memories Loggy? I assume by that you mean a recorded song that was played on the radio and not something we might have learned in school. By the way I liked kid songs and loved to sing them from the time I was a kid.

But that was painful Loggy! Anyway if this was not the earliest one from the radio that I remember it was definitely in that club:

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:24 AM
Minnie Ripperton!

...Is it one of my favorites?

I shall leave you in suspense.

...that high-pitched little wailing shriek...
I'll go out on a limb and guess no. smile
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:54 AM
That man in the front row wins $10!

But Loggy if you’re talking about one of the earlier songs that I ever learned this could be one of them. When I was in early elementary school we would gather together in the AV (audio/visual) room and have open by request group song singing. This was one of the earlier ones I loved. And still do.

Although we did not sing it quite as well as done here:

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:59 AM
That man in the front row wins $10!
You can Venmo me $10 in Bitcoin. laugh
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 07:23 AM
OK so now I feel bad. I knew nothing about Minnie Riperton except for that one famous song of hers “Loving You”. Perhaps I should have cut her some more slack. I guess from now on I should do a little more homework before I start “casting asparagus” upon people I know little about.

Lo siento Minne!

Minnie Riperton
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 07:45 AM
But Loggy if you’re talking about one of the earlier songs that I ever learned this could be one of them.
Yeah, my earliest song was being taught to us yoots to sing, in fact I never heard a recording of it before the one I found and posted above. I didn’t even know that it was a genuine Mormon thing until yesterday, I always assumed it was cadged from elsewhere.
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 11:42 AM
“Lovin’ You (is easy cause you’re beautiful)” by Minnie Ripperton might be another example. Love it or hate it, I think that song belongs to her.

OK so now I feel bad. I knew nothing about Minnie Riperton except for that one famous song of hers “Loving You”. Perhaps I should have cut her some more slack. I guess from now on I should do a little more homework before I start “casting asparagus” upon people I know little about.

Lo siento Minne!

Minnie Riperton
Same here. I looked her up too.

I agree!
I love that song and that version!

Wow. I had no idea she was Maya Rudolph's mother! What a beautiful story.
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 12:27 PM
The first song I remember clearly is the Beatles’ “Twist and Shout.” It came out in 1964; I was four and my sister 14. She had a little suitcase record player with an automatic repeat feature, a 45 of “Twist and Shout,” and a pesky little sister.

So…she taught me to twist and, as needed, she’d drop that 45 with the repeat arm raised, and ask me to show her how I could dance. I’d dance until I just couldn’t any more, and she’d have some peace and quiet - with a Beatles soundtrack.

Hmmm…I might have to cross-post this to Facebook, for her benefit.

C’mon c’mon c’mon baby, now
You know you twist so fine (twist so fine)
C’mon and twist a little closer now (twist a little closer)
And let me know that you’re mine.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 12:34 PM
Yeah, I still think that song was of an odd construct yet that high-pitched squeal was part of her shtick. “Whistling the notes” so to speak as the article mentions since they were so high pitched. But it was the part about her contracting breast cancer shortly after that song came out then doing her in shortly thereafter that caused me pause.

I was wondering why I had never heard about her after that song came out.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 01:35 PM
...I had no idea she was Maya Rudolph's mother! What a beautiful story.
The song IS about Maya Rudolph. Her mom wrote the song to her as a baby about the love she felt for her daughter. smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 01:39 PM
In another thread, there was a discussion of whistle songs. Never heard this before this morning on Jack FM Seattle. What? You don't know jack? coffee

...still looking for that other whistle song I wrote about. Still waiting to hear it on the radio. smile
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:28 PM
In another thread, there was a discussion of whistle songs. Never heard this before this morning on Jack FM Seattle. What? You don't know jack? coffee

...still looking for that other whistle song I wrote about. Still waiting to hear it on the radio. smile

Billy Joel, The Stranger.
One of his better songs because he's not writing about kvetching or using Klesmer stylings, which makes my skin crawl. 🤣 eek2

But I'd like to talk about Klaus Meine...just for a moment.
When he got throat cancer, zee ozzer boys in zee band were asked if they were going to seek a new front man to replace him.
I can't find the press conference footage but I will never forget hearing Matthias Jabs:

"Klaus Meine iss zee voice of zee Scorpions. If he cannot sing, vee cannot play." 😍👍

And they're consistent like that! Kind and generous.
When I put together a dazzle reel for a disabled Army vet buddy, it was the early days of YouTube and I borrowed "Winds of Change" (time 3:20) for the soundtrack and got an email from their record label letting me know that the band members saw it and didn't hesitate to give their blessing.
Silly me, I didn't even ask because I never imagined anyone else but Jonathan's veteran buddies would ever see it....like I said, early YouTube, and I didn't think it was a big deal.
The label could have made my life Hell, but instead they were proud of it.

(SIDE NOTE: The FIRST music in the clip is an original guitar composition by a dear friend named Rick Webber titled "Stormbringer".)
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:38 PM

"A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" by Dwight Yoakam.

Pick "ALMOST" any song by Led Zeppelin. 🤮

I can't stomach Robert Plant screeching like his nuts got caught in a vice.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:39 PM
Minnie Ripperton!

So that’s the song I was trying to remember with that high-pitched little wailing shriek she does. I simply could not remember who sang it nor the name of the song so thanks Mellow. Is it one of my favorites?

I shall leave you in suspense…….

Minnie Ripperton was one of the original stable of artists signed by Leon's SHELTER RECORDS label and she was one of the first to record at his "Church Studio" in Tulsa! 😍
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
I started to think about it several times, but find it impossible to play the game, for several reasons.

I've been functionally deaf for years.

Music is mostly a memory to me. It's like food without taste...sex without climax.

Just not much point in it anymore.

Like a painting to a blind man who saw it before he went blind.

Movies are kinda useless to me too...podcasts...audiobooks...alarm clocks.

---Not even with a good set of headphones???
Oh man, El Sucko Grande!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:43 PM
In case anybody cares, singing in whistle register is not whistling, it’s singing in a very high range that is achievable normally only by whistling.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 02:55 PM
You be the judge.

Was he also pissed off that Lindsay used The Wrecking Crew
for "Indian Reservation?"

See? You can't get away from Leon! He's EVERYWHERE! 🤣
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:00 PM
Or, at least, the Wrecking Crew is. Those guys were everywhere.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:04 PM

This is not my style (oh shoot everything is my style) but it makes me grin and sometimes even dance a little. I love each and everyone of these guys

I love The Traveling Wilburys, even though thinking about them makes me get a little choked up.
Losing everyone except Dylan (knock on wood) is a little tough to take.
Roy Orbison, George Harrison and most recently Tom Petty, a little too tough to take sometimes.
I wanted all of them to be right there with Keith Richard, almost immortal.

Did any of you guys ever read what Dylan said about Roy Orbison's singing?
All I can say is "WOW!" .... check this out!

“I was always fishing for something on the radio. Just like trains and bells, it was part of the soundtrack of my life.
I moved the dial up and down and Roy Orbison's voice came blasting out of the small speakers.
His new song, "Running Scared," exploded into the room.
Orbison, though, transcended all the genres - folk, country, rock and roll or just about anything. His stuff mixed all the styles and some that hadn't even been invented yet. He could sound mean and nasty on one line and then sing in a falsetto voice like Frankie Valli in the next. With Roy, you didn't know if you were listening to mariachi or opera. He kept you on your toes. With him, it was all about fat and blood. He sounded like he was singing from an Olympian mountaintop and he meant business.
One of his previous songs, "Ooby Dooby" was deceptively simple, but Roy had progressed. He was now singing his compositions in three or four octaves that made you want to drive your car over a cliff.
He sang like a professional criminal.
Typically, he'd start out in some low, barely audible range, stay there a while and then astonishingly slip into histrionics. His voice could jar a corpse, always leave you muttering to yourself something like, "Man, I don't believe it."
His songs had songs within songs.
They shifted from major to minor key without any logic. Orbison was deadly serious - no pollywog and no fledgling juvenile.
There wasn't anything else on the radio like him.”
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:10 PM
Or, at least, the Wrecking Crew is. Those guys were everywhere.

Yes of course, all those guys were everywhere.
But one of my favorite hobbies is discovering all the stuff Leon played on, it boggles the mind how prolific a session guy he was.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:13 PM
and (cheating) America the Beautiful - Ray Charles

THAT PARTICULAR rendition of "America the Beautiful" is, for me, the REAL "National Anthem"...it gives me those good chills.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:16 PM

Yes, unfortunately.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:23 PM
...and speaking of Rocket Man, my most favorite remix of the track...

My teeth started grinding just hearing this track. FLASHBACKS!! LOL

Sorry for getting sidetracked but since Rick mentioned "Rocket Man" my brain started thinking about outer space songs.
Here's former David Bowie pianist Mike Garson and the Segerstrom Center Symphony Orchestra doing a rendition of "Space Oddity" for Garson's "MusicHeals" project.

I was honored to be one of the six (or was it seven?) camera operators on this show!

The Vimeo tags aren't working, so you have to just click that mofo to get it to play on Vimeo, sorry!

https://vimeo.com/158840853
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 03:48 PM
Mellow, I LOVE Bob Dylan. He is one of the finest song writers Ever in my opinion.

May I please share a fascinating story about a friend's serendipitous encounter with Dylan?
I promise your jaw will drop.

Here's Shawn Casey O'Brien of the LA punk band "The Cripples" talking about the day Dylan picked him up hitchhiking.

He also touches on being picked to contribute songs to the soundtrack for the movie "Cruising".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 04:05 PM
You're speaking to "covers" Mellow.

When an artist sings a song originally sung by another singer, the term for the newest version of the song is "cover." Many covers are better than the original. I cite "I will always love you" by Dolly Parton. Whitney Houston covered that song, and the song was incrementally better than the original in form, style, and production.

I used to think Whitney's cover was better but as I get older I have begun to appreciate Miss Dolly a lot more, and her original seems sweet and gentle, like a lover expressing sincere emotion, whereas Whitney's version, although stellar in a technical sense, sort of buries the sweet emotions with too much torchy bombast, at least to me.

Here's another one guaranteed to annoy....someone here...
Leon wrote (Groupie) aka "Superstar" and many think The Carpenters were the first to cover it.
Karen Carpenter had a huge hit with it and it seems to evoke a vision of an innocent young virginal teenybopper fantasizing about her favorite musical idol.

But surprise, Bonnie Bramlett of Delaney and Bonnie covered it first!
And boy howdy, when you hear Bon Bon do it, it doesn't sound like a teenybopper, it really SOUNDS LIKE a groupie has DONE a few rockers in her time.
You almost need a cigarette or a cold shower after hearing it because she really does sound like she did sleep with her idol.
Whew!! Hold on MOMMA! ROTFMOL

Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 04:08 PM
In case anybody cares, singing in whistle register is not whistling, it’s singing in a very high range that is achievable normally only by whistling.

Nobody thinks of Mariah Carey?
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 05:48 PM
New question/category: Guilty pleasures

1) Wedding Bell Blues (5th Dimension)
2) Seals and Crofts - so 70’s mellow, so 17 years old…
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/04/21 11:52 PM
Not so guilty pleasures

So beautiful it gives me chill bumps.

Hilarious
White Stripes with Holly Gollightly
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 10:30 AM
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 03:40 PM
Good one old bump on a log. I always loved Bellafonte’s voice.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 03:56 PM
Speaking of clichés how about a John Prine song made up entirely of clichés:

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 04:27 PM
Love that! hahaha
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 04:38 PM
From the post of Dylan telling about Roy Orbison: “He sings like a professional criminal.”

That’s what I love about Dylan. I’m not sure exactly what he means but he said it so perfectly it just doesn’t matter.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 05:35 PM
They shifted from major to minor keys with no logic:

Sorry, doing all of this from a smart phone and I don’t know how to copy and paste entire lines with this phone. This was in regards to Jeff’s earlier post about Roy Orbison:

So did the Beatles. Plus they also ran unlikely major chords together which had never been done before… at least and Pop music. And somehow made it work. That was part of the reasons the construction of Beatles songs was so amazing.

Loved Roy Orbison too. Especially Pretty Woman. That song drove me nuts when I was a kid.

Rrrrow!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 07:15 PM
Good one old bump on a log. I always loved Bellafonte’s voice.
I went through five videos before finding an early performance that was in the original Irving Burgie style. He performed it, too, but Belafonte is a better singer.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 07:16 PM
JP is one of the best - I can even sing along without too much trouble!
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/05/21 11:51 PM
Yep… loved Prine. Sometime we gotta make Covid pay…
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
I can't stomach Robert Plant screeching like his nuts got caught in a vice.

ROTFMOL

Wait! Robert Plant was in Led Zeppelin - the "Stairway to Heaven" guys? Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:19 AM
... LA punk band "The Cripples" ...]
P'shaw!!

I see your "Cripples" and raise you:

X
Suburban Lawns
Missing Persons
GoGos (<----started out punk until they discovered "commercial" music)
Ramones
Social Distorition

Hey Jeff...remember Rodney Bingenheimer on KROQ? smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:21 AM

Nobody thinks of Mariah Carey?

Nope. Next question. smile

(I haven't liked that crazy b- since she sampled the great, awesome choon, Genius of Love in her 1995 Fantasy track which propelled her (very short) career as a dance diva. rolleyes
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:33 AM

Example please. smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:34 AM

Yes, unfortunately.
No he's not.... nono
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:38 AM
I like one Deep Purple song: smile

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:41 AM
Guilty pleasure (I have no idea why...pro'lly the guitar... Hmm)

...and this one too: (I love this one and it's most def because of the guitar riff....frickin' awesome!!! Bow )

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:43 AM
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:44 AM
Awww....thanks Loggy....I love you too man. smile

That hairy-chested bearded guy in the background is hella sexy!!!!!! Yummy!!! laugh
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:48 AM
"Making love with you, is all I want to do..."

Ok...so I "heard" this song was a dedication to her daughter Maya. Um...now. this is creeper territory. Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:53 AM
From the post of Dylan telling about Roy Orbison: “He sings like a professional criminal.”

That’s what I love about Dylan. I’m not sure exactly what he means but he said it so perfectly it just doesn’t matter.
Mellow likes bad boys....Mellow likes bad boys... smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 03:55 AM
...Plus they also ran unlikely major chords together which had never been done before…]
Whad'ya think of The Edge's guitar playing? smile
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 04:00 PM
Now thats a tough one Rick. Critiquing guitar styles etc is difficult for me. Personally I just play acoustic guitar and am a simple chord chunker at best.

That being said I think Edge is amazing for the notes (and sometimes chords) that he doesn't play. He has a spare style that works perfectly with Bono’s vocals and the rest of U2. That combined with the amazing tone he achieves through his electric wizardry is simply something to behold. He is not a shredder as say Eddie Van Halen was but rather more of a melody maker. Miles Davis has a quote that I think sums it up best:

“Don't play what's there; play what's not there.”
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/06/21 04:15 PM
Great post Ken. smile
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/07/21 12:55 AM
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/07/21 01:37 AM
New question/category: Guilty pleasures

Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/07/21 03:43 AM
I thought that song was a requirement for one of 5h3 Mexico’s citizenship. I believe that song came out while I was living in Little Texas; hell! I think I still know the words…

But I didn’t know it was Garth Brooks..
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/07/21 10:26 PM
Here is one of my guilty pleasures. Don’t fall over Jeff!

I don’t know how many of you out there are aware but Karen Carpenter started out as a drummer and she loved to play her drums. But the producers/managers wanted her out front as a pretty vocalist, so they nixed the drums.

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 12:13 AM
Karen Carpenter started out as a drummer and she loved to play her drums.
Karen is the 3rd one from the end, with a plume in her hat.

Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 12:48 AM
Omg! Awesome!
I can't really tell which one she is but what a performance.
I loved to watch her drum.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 02:41 AM
You can hear the drumming influence in her singing - the hard rat-a-tat-tat rhythm and elocution. Stunning!
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 02:57 AM
The one with the plume in her hat? V. Funny.

Impressive video.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 04:30 AM
That was awesome Loggy but was it legit? The only reason I ask that is that there’s so much fakery going on these days with items such as “deepfakes” etc, I want to believe that is true and for real. If so do you have any information as to the background, location etc. of the video?

And where and when was it filmed?
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 05:21 AM
I think they’re for real… the Swiss Top Secret Drum Corps. Near as I can figure out that performance was in Edinburgh in 2013.

Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 10:50 AM
...I don’t know how many of you out there are aware but Karen Carpenter started out as a drummer and she loved to play her drums...

Some of us who watched their documentary did. smile

I love watching documentaries on bands. laugh
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 11:34 AM
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 01:35 PM
I like this Buffalo Springfield cover:
Plus it's a great anthem for what's happening in 2021. smile

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/08/21 11:53 PM
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/09/21 12:10 AM
Another guilty pleasure...

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/09/21 12:36 PM
Is this how humans should interact?

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/09/21 12:50 PM
Posted By: Mellowicious Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/09/21 04:06 PM
I looove hang drums. Bought a little one off the web but, as I expected, it was a POS…But the real ones are too expensive to buy experimentally.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/11/21 06:20 AM
Do you play them Jules? I had never even heard of them before Loggy’s post.They are obviously related to the steel drums and have a fascinating similar sound but seem to be more customizable.

If that is a word.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/11/21 09:48 PM
Thought about posting this one in the A Question of Culture thread...

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/12/21 12:22 AM
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/12/21 12:29 AM
Good one Logrhythm. But perhaps this too:

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/12/21 12:57 AM
Perhaps, indeed!
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/12/21 01:27 AM

I'm surprised this band is Brit. They're so cold and lack emotion, I thought surely they are German. coffee

Charted in 1979

Australia........11
Great Britain...5
US.................50

Only 50 in the US?!? I remember hearing this song all over the radio as kid. Hmm
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/14/21 12:42 PM
That song is awesome Rick. I had not heard of those guys until your post.

That thing is hilarious.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/16/21 04:52 PM
Thanks for the idea PDXeR!
I had never considered the storage options inside my grand piano! grin

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/16/21 10:36 PM
That song is awesome Rick. I had not heard of those guys until your post.

That thing is hilarious.

I think they were going for the "punk rock" vibe. They didn't pull it off very well. smile

Originally Posted by TatumAH
Thanks for the idea PDXeR!
I had never considered the storage options inside my grand piano! grin

TAT
Yup, now you can pull all of that money out of your mattress laugh
Posted By: TatumAH Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/17/21 02:58 PM
Nope, all that cash went into certifiable CryptoCURRS grin
TAT
Posted By: Greger Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/18/21 12:27 AM
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/18/21 11:16 AM
That was awesome Greger. Thank you. I’m glad you could hear it well enough to appreciate it. At least I hope you could.
Posted By: Greger Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/18/21 02:13 PM
Glad you liked it Ken, it's one of my favorites. Chip Taylor also wrote "Wild Thing". He had a long and successful career as a gambler and is John Voight's brother.
The sentiment of the song is what moves me. The world is full of them and they all need to get f*cked.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: A Musical Quiz - 10/18/21 09:01 PM
I looove hang drums. Bought a little one off the web but, as I expected, it was a POS…But the real ones are too expensive to buy experimentally.

Hello Mello grin
It's been a while!

There is no need to buy el-cheapo hang drums on the internets when it is so easy to make your own steel drum at home grin What could go worng with these simple doo it yourself instructions? grin
Steel drum tuning and construction handbook

When I was sixteen, I fell in love with the sound of the steel pan, and decided that I was going to make my own. I knew they were made by hand-hammering the bottoms of surplus 55-gallon drums, and I assumed (with the brash arrogance only naive, precocious, slightly spoiled teenage boys can muster) that if it could be done by “island natives” in one of those smaller, lesser countries elsewhere in the world, it would surely be easy, for me, in my suburban backyard in Dallas, Texas, USA.

I spent much more time on this site than I care to admit, even though I have little interest in Calypso music when not compromised by gumbay smashes or whatever rum based intoxicant was the local favorite,

Rum and coke in the islands is mostly rum, as it is made there, while coke has to be imported. I ended up carrying a pregnant wife back to our room piggyback, after only one complimentary welcome drink! No wonder the kid was strange!

I was fascinated by the complexity of the steel drum organization. The complementary notes in the various scales/chords are closely associated physically on the steel drum-head to enhance favorable harmonics and discourage dissonance. If you think tuning your own piano is complicated and tedious, you should try tuning your beat out of tune steel drum with a large hammer and forge!

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/20/21 04:39 PM
I heard this track last night in the car while waiting for my package to be delivered at the agreed-upon designated pick-up spot.

(Rocksus lives during the week with the boy that used to watch him while I was at work at the apartment. Because I leave now at 4:15 am for work and get back home at 5:45 pm I thought it was better for Rocksus to be with Levi during the week, and Rocksus and I spend the weekends together. This has been the schedule ever since I moved).

This track is 10 years old. I pride myself on knowing cool, hip dance tracks and I had never heard this track before. shocked
Posted By: olyve Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/20/21 09:13 PM
laughed outloud at:
I heard this track last night in the car while waiting for my package to be delivered at the agreed-upon designated pick-up spot.
LOL
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/22/21 04:50 AM
OK you phuggerz. I dare you to listen to this thing all the way through. These folks are musical heroes of mine from a long while back. Nobody plays like this anymore:

Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/24/21 08:22 AM
An aside.

What’s wrong with people Loggy? This tune is a masterpiece with musicians that cannot be duplicated. I suppose everything shall fade out in the end. Good riddance!
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/24/21 01:00 PM
Those fellas were groovin’…
Posted By: TatumAH Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/26/21 03:51 AM
[quote][/quote]
OK you phuggerz. I dare you to listen to this thing all the way through. These folks are musical heroes of Minn from a long while back. Nobody plays like this anymore]

Aint that the truth! Ditto on all three counts! Way back when,, I casually mentioned that this group was a "One Hit , Wonder/ flash in a pan, I was chided by Senator Hatrack who was a big fan of the group that was inducted into the Minnesota Rock and Roll hall of fame in 2004, a low hurdle. There was considerable agreement by other Ranters at the time, who shall remain nameless, except for Schlack who apparently introduced it to RR. The time machine is a bit ambiguous, but it was stated that never had 2 minutes of music changed the world moar, so I suspect this was the song.
I reviewed the stated criteria at the beginning of this thread that includes, music that stops you in your tracks. Few would disagree that it meets criteria! I have previously hesitated to contribute this unique performance, but being Thanksgiving, it seemed more than appropriate to share the good news and the word.
After all, in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was...

TAT
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/26/21 10:50 AM
Queso:

Talk about corny Aqui lo tienes, Although there seems to have been an infraction in the space-time continuum:

Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/26/21 01:33 PM
Queso:

Talk about corny Aqui lo tienes, Although there seems to have been an infraction in the space-time continuum:
Good point.
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/26/21 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by TatumAH

TAT
That fella sure can dance!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/26/21 04:25 PM
He was in a groove, and I was expecting to see him fly!

It amused or at least shocked Ranters in the wayback machine, blast from the past, but the tune was not preserved, but the data suggests this was the tune!

Re: Round Table for Wednesday, May 12 2010
itstarted #150015 12/05/10 04:58 PM
Schlack
veteran
Ireland

In a little over two minutes, The Trashmen changed the face of rock and roll forever.

ok try and get this song out of your head for the next three days.

Last edited by Schlack; 12/05/10 04:58 PM.
"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Re: Round Table for Wednesday, May 12 2010
Schlack #150053 12/05/10 09:00 PM
olyve
veteran
Athens, Ga.

Originally Posted by Schlack
In a little over two minutes, The Trashmen changed the face of rock and roll forever.

ok try and get this song out of your head for the next three days.
omg!
Schlack! Bow
ROTFMOL
Yes!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Posted By: logtroll Re: A Musical Quiz - 11/28/21 11:07 AM
Was John Denver one of history’s greatest philosophers?

© ReaderRant