Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Golem The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 08:40 PM
I have seen this done successfully elsewhere.

It is a collective thread for obituaries when the poster chooses to not post a specific thread on the passing of a particularly person. A new thread is started at the beginning of each year.

It is strictly up to the individual posters' preference as to whether or not they wish to post passings to the collective thread, or to give the passed person a thread of his own.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 08:41 PM
Sir David Frost, broadcaster and writer, dies at 74
BBC News
September 1, 2013

Quote:
Veteran broadcaster Sir David Frost has died at the age of 74 after a heart attack while on board a cruise ship.

A family statement said he was aboard the Queen Elizabeth on Saturday night where he was to give a speech.

Sir David's career spanned journalism, comedy writing and daytime television presenting, including The Frost Report.

Internationally, he will be remembered for his revealing interviews with former US President Richard Nixon.

More

Reuters: Broadcaster David Frost, famed for Nixon apology, dies

Wikipedia
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 08:57 PM
As I wrote yesterday about resident Grand Wizard of obituaries:

Originally Posted By: california rick
...being the Grand Wizard of Obit Blogs - you seem to excel at putting out that information.

Truly, I've been waiting for you to put up David Frosts obit. You're right on schedule. coffee Why are you so fascinated with people's passing? Hmm
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 09:26 PM
Why are you so fascinated with people's passing? Hmm
  • I miss a lot of people, both well known people, and people I have known personally.
  • Obits are a way of remembering people.
  • My own passing could happen at any time.
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Golem
  • I miss a lot of people, both well known people, and people I have known personally.

ThumbsUp
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 10:15 PM

Anyone's passing "could happen at any time." Hmm

Reader Rant has celebrated the passing of people in the past, but looking at your list from the past year, you place really obscure people on it: Hornet nest guy, whooping cough baby, C-list actors. Whatever. I guess death is your thing as morbid as it is.
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/01/13 10:34 PM

Anyone's passing "could happen at any time." Hmm

Reader Rant has celebrated the passing of people in the past, but looking at your list from the past year, you place really obscure people on it: Hornet nest guy, whooping cough baby, C-list actors. Whatever. I guess death is your thing as morbid as it is.

I would rather read Golem's list than listen to the Teapublican crap that is floating around.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/02/13 05:43 PM
Boxer Tommy Morrison of "Rocky V" fame dies at 44

Quote:
Tommy Morrison, the former heavyweight champion who stood toe-to-toe with Lennox Lewis and George Foreman and later tested positive for HIV, died Monday. He was 44...

He was a prodigious puncher whose bid to fight in the 1988 Seoul Olympics ended at the hands of Ray Mercer, who later dealt Morrison his first professional loss. He had a starring role in "Rocky V" alongside Sylvester Stallone. And perhaps most memorably, Morrison tested positive for HIV when the virus still carried a significant stigma, only to declare later the test was false...

More

Wikipedia

BoxRec
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/02/13 11:13 PM
RIP Frederik Pohl, the man who transformed science fiction

Quote:
One of the leading lights of the science fiction world, editor and author Frederik Pohl, passed away this weekend after a career that defined the genre for decades...

Pohl was known for his mind-bending, often satirical novels (many co-authored with longtime collaborator C.M. Kornbluth), his editing acumen, his science fiction criticism, and his witty, fascinating blog, which he was updating right up until his death...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Ardy Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/03/13 04:16 PM
My relationship with obituaries has changed down through the years.

In my youth, these people seemed to be obscure historical personages whose relevance to anything was questionable and tedious.

In middle age, I started to notice that the obituaries included a few people who I was familiar with. But this was still a subject that had little interest for me. The people had mostly made their contribution in a hazy past. And, who really wanted to dwell on their passing.

As perhaps also with Golem, the people who are dying now are icons who shaped the world I have known. I see that world slowly crumbling around me as the pillars fall one by one.

The future begins to take on a disturbing clarity as I observe the aging experience of my mid 90's mom. She lives where she has lived for 60 years, and attends the same church. The inexorable tsunami of time has swept away her friends... and left her familiar surroundings as hollowed out shells of the world she knew.
Quote:
The inexorable tsunami of time has swept away her friends... and left her familiar surroundings as hollowed out shells of the world she knew.

I used to want to live forever, and had the youthful illusion of immortality to go with that.

Now I understand how the elderly and infirm can reach the point where they are ready to go without regret. Nothing is constant in life, but change itself. Even the very molecules that make up our bodies change over time. People say: "I'm not the person I was back then." but don't realize that is the literal truth.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/04/13 06:14 PM
Ronald H. Coase, 'Accidental' Economist Who Won a Nobel Prize, Dies at 102

Quote:
Ronald H. Coase, whose insights about why companies work and when government regulation is unnecessary earned him a Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science in 1991, died on Monday in Chicago. He was 102.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/04/13 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Ardy
My relationship with obituaries has changed down through the years.

In my youth, these people seemed to be obscure historical personages whose relevance to anything was questionable and tedious.

In middle age, I started to notice that the obituaries included a few people who I was familiar with. But this was still a subject that had little interest for me. The people had mostly made their contribution in a hazy past. And, who really wanted to dwell on their passing.

As perhaps also with Golem, the people who are dying now are icons who shaped the world I have known. I see that world slowly crumbling around me as the pillars fall one by one.

The future begins to take on a disturbing clarity as I observe the aging experience of my mid 90's mom. She lives where she has lived for 60 years, and attends the same church. The inexorable tsunami of time has swept away her friends... and left her familiar surroundings as hollowed out shells of the world she knew.

Beautiful post, Ardy. ThumbsUp
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/06/13 08:09 PM
Hitler bodyguard Rochus Misch dies at 96

Quote:
He was Adolf Hitler's devoted bodyguard for most of World War II and the last remaining witness to the Nazi leader's final hours in his Berlin bunker. To the very end, SS Staff Sgt. Rochus Misch was proud of it all.

For years, he accompanied Hitler nearly everywhere he went, sticking by the man he affectionately called "boss" until the dictator and his wife, Eva Braun, killed themselves as defeat at the hands of the Allies drew nearer. The loyal SS officer remained in what he called the "coffin of concrete" for days after Hitler's death, finally escaping as Berlin crumbled around him and the Soviets swarmed the city.

Even in his later years, during a 2005 interview with The Associated Press in which he recounted Hitler's claustrophobic, chaotic final days, Misch still cut the image of an SS man. He had a rigid posture, broad shoulders, neatly combed white hair — and no apologies for his close relationship with the most reviled man of the 20th century.

"He was no brute. He was no monster. He was no superman," Misch said.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/08/13 07:49 PM
ABA star Zelmo Beaty dead at 73

Quote:
Zelmo Beaty, a combined five-time NBA and ABA All-Star and a member of the ABA's All-Time Team, died Saturday at the age of 73.

More

Zelmo Beaty Tribute

Career statistics

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/09/13 09:31 PM
Cal Worthington Legendary Car Salesman DEAD AT 92

Quote:
Cal Worthington -- the legendary car dealer who became famous for his "Go see Cal" TV commercials has gone on to that great used car lot in the sky, TMZ has learned.

Worthington -- who had dealerships in Long Beach, CA, Anchorage, Alaska, Phoenix, Houston, Sacramento and other cities -- died Sunday at his ranch in California. According to his family, Worthington passed away while watching Sunday football. The family didn't say what caused his death.

More

Showman car salesman Cal Worthington dies at 92

Wikipedia
He is survived by his granddaughter, Carlotta Tennant.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/13/13 04:38 PM
Billionaire Sound Pioneer Ray Dolby Dies, Age 80

Quote:
Ray Dolby died Thursday in San Francisco, age 80. He suffered from Alzheimer’s Disease and acute leukemia.

A pioneer in the field of sound, Dolby will be remembered as the man who took the hiss out of sound recordings. With a fortune of $2.4 billion at his death, Dolby truly did make silence golden.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/13/13 05:24 PM
Frank Tripucka, first Denver Broncos QB, dies at 85 years old

Quote:
When Frank Tripucka first arrived in Denver in 1960 to work for the newly-formed Broncos of the newly-formed American Football League, he was only supposed to help assist head coach Frank Filchock in a coaching capacity.

Funny thing about that. Tripucka was apparently the best option the team had at quarterback. Thus, though he hadn't played in the NFL since 1952, he took over the starting spot and proceeded to throw for a career- and league-high 3,038 yards that season.

Tripucka -- who died Thursday morning at the age of 85 -- started for two more seasons (and led the league in passing yards again in 1962).

More

Wikipedia

Playing stats
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/19/13 02:47 AM
Former champ Ken Norton dies

Quote:
Former heavyweight champion Ken Norton, who beat Muhammad Ali and later lost a controversial decision to him at Yankee Stadium, died Wednesday at a local care facility, his son said. He was 70.

More

Wikipedia

Boxing record
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/20/13 02:18 AM
Richard C. Sarafian dies at 83; directed cult film 'Vanishing Point'

Quote:
Richard C. Sarafian, a Hollywood director best known for the speed-addled saga of squealing brakes and existential angst chronicled in the 1971 cult film "Vanishing Point," died Wednesday. He was 83.

Sarafian was recovering from a broken back when he contracted pneumonia, family members said.

He directed numerous films and, earlier in his career, TV shows that included episodes of "Gunsmoke," "The Twilight Zone" and "Batman." He also acted, appearing as hitman Vinnie in the Warren Beatty satire "Bulworth" and gangster Jack Dragna in Beatty's "Bugsy."

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/21/13 04:46 PM
World's oldest wrestler, Angelo Savoldi, passes away

Quote:
Angelo Savoldi, believed to be the world's oldest living pro wrestler, passed away today at the age of 99.

Savoldi dated back to the 1930s and wrestled into the 60s.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/22/13 08:59 PM
D. J. R. Bruckner, Columnist and Critic, Dies at 79

Quote:
D. J. R. Bruckner, a retired book and theater critic for The New York Times who was previously a nationally syndicated political columnist for The Los Angeles Times, died on Friday in Manhattan. He was 79...

For his liberal positions, Mr. Bruckner was accorded a spot on President Richard M. Nixon’s enemies list...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 09/30/13 08:37 PM
Gene 'Cousin Luke' Petit passes away (professional wrestler)

September 29, 2013

Quote:
Gene Petit, who was best known nationally in the WWF as Cousin Luke of Hillbilly Jim's clan of wrestling relatives from Mud Lick, Kentucky, passed away this morning...

Petit worked regularly until 2000, when back issues forced him out of the ring. He was later diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which he had been battling for years, leading him to drop way down from his recognizable weight. He had also battled diabetes and in recent years, was in a long-term health care facility...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/02/13 03:46 PM
Tom Clancy, Best-Selling Novelist of Military Thrillers, Dies at 66

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books/...dies-at-66.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/09/13 04:31 PM
Andy Pafko dies, played in last Cubs World Series

Quote:
Former Cubs star Andy Pafko had a good bat, a memorable nickname and a reputation as one of the friendliest players in the game.

Pafko, 92, died Tuesday in a nursing home in Stevensville, Mich., the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

A popular five-time All-Star who played 17 seasons and appeared in 24 World Series games — including the Cubs' last visit to the Series in 1945 — Pafko had a lifetime .285 average with 213 home runs and 976 RBIs playing for the Cubs, Brooklyn Dodgers and Milwaukee Braves.

More

Wikipedia

Career statistics
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/09/13 06:51 PM
Stanley Kauffmann, Erudite Film Critic, Dies at 97

Quote:
Stanley Kauffmann, whose literate, tightly constructed movie reviews appeared in The New Republic for more than half a century and set a standard for critical ease and erudition, died on Wednesday in Manhattan. He was 97.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/10/13 09:01 PM
Scott Carpenter, Mercury Astronaut Who Orbited Earth, Dies at 88

Quote:
M. Scott Carpenter, whose flight into space in 1962 as the second American to orbit the Earth was marred by technical glitches and ended with the nation waiting anxiously to see if he had survived a landing far from the target site, died on Thursday in Denver. He was 88 and one of the last two surviving astronauts of America’s original space program, Project Mercury...

His death leaves John H. Glenn Jr., who flew the first orbital mission on Feb. 20, 1962, and later became a United States senator from Ohio, as the last survivor of the Mercury 7...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/10/13 09:50 PM
Scott Carpenter, Mercury Astronaut Who Orbited Earth, Dies at 88

Quote:
M. Scott Carpenter, whose flight into space in 1962 as the second American to orbit the Earth was marred by technical glitches and ended with the nation waiting anxiously to see if he had survived a landing far from the target site, died on Thursday in Denver. He was 88 and one of the last two surviving astronauts of America’s original space program, Project Mercury...

His death leaves John H. Glenn Jr., who flew the first orbital mission on Feb. 20, 1962, and later became a United States senator from Ohio, as the last survivor of the Mercury 7...

More

Wikipedia

RIP, Mr. Carpenter. frown
John Wayne's will specified that his body was to be cremated; then the ashes were divided into four equal parts, coated in resin from some of the Ponderosa pines on his ranch, then heat-treated to make each piece as amber-like as possible. Three of the pieces went to the presidential libraries of Eisenhower, Nixon, and Ford. The fourth went to Ronald Reagan because Wayne hoped he would eventually become president. His disposal wishes were inspired by a patriotic song which refers to four amber graves of Wayne.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/14/13 10:08 PM
Posted By: logtroll Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/14/13 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington
... His disposal wishes were inspired by a patriotic song which refers to four amber graves of Wayne.

That sure went above (and beyond) the just plain fruity .
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/17/13 04:59 PM
Veteran Character Actor Ed Lauter Dies at Age 74

Quote:
Veteran character actor Ed Lauter, whose long, angular face and stern bearing made him an instantly recognizable figure in scores of movies and TV shows during a career that stretched across five decades, died Wednesday. He was 74.

Lauter died of mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer most commonly caused by asbestos exposure, said his publicist, Edward Lozzi.

Whether he was an irascible authority figure, a brutal thug or a conniving con man, Lauter's presence made him all but impossible to miss in any film he was in. That was so even on those occasions when he was playing a character more bumbling than menacing, although menacing was clearly his forte.

More

IMDb

Wikipedia

Another article: Ed Lauter, character actor in films and television, dies at 74
Posted By: Scoutgal Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/17/13 05:27 PM
Veteran Character Actor Ed Lauter Dies at Age 74

Quote:
Veteran character actor Ed Lauter, whose long, angular face and stern bearing made him an instantly recognizable figure in scores of movies and TV shows during a career that stretched across five decades, died Wednesday. He was 74.

Lauter died of mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer most commonly caused by asbestos exposure, said his publicist, Edward Lozzi.

Whether he was an irascible authority figure, a brutal thug or a conniving con man, Lauter's presence made him all but impossible to miss in any film he was in. That was so even on those occasions when he was playing a character more bumbling than menacing, although menacing was clearly his forte.

More

IMDb

Wikipedia

Another article: Ed Lauter, character actor in films and television, dies at 74

RIP, Ed. frown
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/19/13 05:32 PM
Former Speaker of the House Tom Foley dies at age 84

Quote:
Tom Foley, the Spokane judge's son who became speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, is dead.

His wife, Heather, confirmed his death Friday morning in an email to seattlepi.com. Foley, who had been in declining health, was 84.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/19/13 05:33 PM
Bum Phillips, Colorful Football Coach, Dies at 90

Quote:
Bum Phillips, the homespun Texan who was caricatured as a cowboy but possessed a keen football mind that built the Houston Oilers into one of the National Football League’s leading teams of the late 1970s, died Friday at his ranch in Goliad, Tex. He was 90.

His death was announced by his son, Wade, the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/19/13 06:00 PM
Sister Antonia Brenner dies at 86; nun moved into Tijuana prison to tend to inmates

Quote:
Guards and inmates in La Mesa penitentiary referred to Brenner as the prison angel. In the cellblocks she was known as 'Mama.'

Sister Antonia Brenner, a Beverly Hills-raised mother of seven who became a Roman Catholic nun and moved into a notorious Tijuana prison where she spent more than three decades mending broken lives, easing tensions and dispensing everything from toothbrushes to bail money, has died. She was 86.

Brenner, who had been in declining health, died Thursday of natural causes at the home of her religious order in Tijuana where her fellow sisters had cared for her in her final days, said Christina Brenner, her daughter-in-law.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/20/13 09:25 PM
R.I.P. Animation Legend Lou Scheimer

Quote:
The prolific animation giant Lou Scheimer, founder of Filmation studios, has passed a the age of 85. Under his guidance, the studio produced countless hours of children’s programing for both Saturday mornings and syndication, leaving an indelible mark on the memories of countless children of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/22/13 03:44 PM
Noel Harrison, singer of The Windmills Of Your Mind, dies

Quote:
Singer Noel Harrison, known to millions for The Windmills Of Your Mind, has died at the age of 79 from a heart attack.

Harrison, who was born in London on January 29,1934, was best known for recording the hit song on The Thomas Crown Affair soundtrack.

More

Wikipedia

I hate that song.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/23/13 03:02 AM
Former Rep. Major Owens of Brooklyn Dies at 77

Quote:
Major Owens, a New York City Democrat who served 12 terms in the U.S. House and was credited with helping to pass the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, has died at age 77.

More

Major Owens on slave trading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81fOuca8Oc
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/26/13 02:36 AM
Hal Needham Dead; Legendary Stuntman and Director Was 82

Quote:
Hal Needham, longtime stuntman and director of “Smokey and the Bandit” and “Cannonball Run” for Burt Reynolds, died Friday in Los Angeles after a short battle with cancer, his manager confirmed. He was 82.

At one time the highest paid stuntman in the world, he was said to have broken 56 bones, broken his back twice, punctured a lung and knocked out a few teeth while working on 4500 TV episodes and 310 feature films.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/27/13 08:40 PM
Bill Sharman dies at 87; basketball legend and former Lakers coach

Quote:
Bill Sharman helped the Boston Celtics win championships as a player and led the Lakers to their first NBA title in Los Angeles as a coach in 1972. He spent 35 years with the team...

Sharman - who died Friday at 87 - will be remembered as the man who molded the Lakers into an elite franchise, guiding the 1971-72 squad to a historic 33 consecutive victories and an NBA title, their first in Los Angeles...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/27/13 08:41 PM
Marcia Wallace, Star of 'The Simpsons' and 'Bob Newhart Show,' Dies at 70

Quote:
Marcia Wallace, an Emmy-winning character actress on two of TV's most enduring shows, has died. She was 70...

Wallace rose to fame in the 1970s as joke-cracking receptionist Carol Kester on The Bob Newhart Show. The role of Kester was written specifically for Wallace after producers took note of her many appearances on The Merv Griffin Show.

In 1992, Wallace earned an Emmy for her voice-over work on The Simpsons as Bart's long-suffering Springfield Elementary School teacher Edna Krabappel, who had an affinity for men, booze, and cigarettes. Wallace provided the pipes for other Simpsons characters, including Ms. Mellon in Bart the Genius, Enchantra in Marge Gamer, and Mrs. Krabapatra in Simpsons Bible Stories. ...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 10/27/13 08:42 PM
Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71

Quote:
Lou Reed, a massively influential songwriter and guitarist who helped shape nearly fifty years of rock music, died today on Long Island. The cause of his death has not yet been released, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May.

With the Velvet Underground in the late Sixties, Reed fused street-level urgency with elements of European avant-garde music, marrying beauty and noise, while bringing a whole new lyrical honesty to rock & roll poetry.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/02/13 04:35 PM
Johnny Kucks, World Series hero for the Yankees in 1956, dead at 80

Quote:
Johnny Kucks, a born and bred "Jersey Boy" who went from the sandlots of Jersey City to a 1956 Yankee World Series hero, died Thursday after a long bout with cancer. He was 80.

Kucks, a side-arming righthander who had what Yogi Berra said was one of the "heaviest sinkerballs" he ever caught, spent 4½ seasons with the Yankees from 1955-59 and appeared in eight games over four World Series with a 1.89 ERA in them. But his finest hour was when Yankee manager Casey Stengel gave him the ball for Game 7 of the 1956 World Series at Ebbets Field - after the Dodgers had tied the Series 3-3 the day before on a 1-0, 10-inning shutout by Clem Labine - and Kucks responded by pitching a three-hit shutout in a 9-0 Yankee win.

More

Career statistics

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/04/13 07:00 PM
"Teen Titans," "Aquaman" Artist Nick Cardy Passes Away at Age 93

Quote:
Nick Cardy, a revered and influential comic book artist known best for his DC Comics work in the '50s, '60s and '70s, passed away Sunday at age 93, according to multiple industry reports...

At DC Comics, Cardy worked on the first 43 issues of the original "Teen Titans" series as either a penciler or inker (or both), in a run lasting from 1966 to 1973. He also drew the first 39 issues of the initial "Aquaman" solo series, along with extensive cover illustrations on DC books including "Action Comics," "Batman" and "Justice League of America." Cardy wrote two issues of DC western "Bat Lash," along with drawing all seven issues of the series...

More

Wikipedia

Official site
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/11/13 08:00 PM
Veteran Actor Paul Mantee Dies at 82

Quote:
Paul Mantee, a burly, tough-guy actor who starred in the 1964 sci-fi cult classic Robinson Crusoe on Mars and on TV's Cagney & Lacey as Det. Al Corassa, has died. He was 82.

A longtime resident of Malibu who wrote columns for the local newspaper, Mantee played the health inspector on a 1994 episode of Seinfeld, "The Pie;" had a recurring role as Commander Clayton on Hunter, the police drama that starred Fred Dryer; and appeared as Cornell, a henchman for Catwoman who disguises himself as Batman to frame the Caped Crusader for a robbery in a 1967 storyline that saw the villainess go back to college.

More

IMDb

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/14/13 04:05 PM
Ex-BYU and NFL star Todd Christensen dies at age 57

Quote:
LaVell Edwards coached a lot of colorful characters and interesting football players from 1972 to 2000 at BYU, including Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer. But no player was more unique, intelligent or multi-faceted, Edwards said Wednesday, than a rugged, poetry-quoting quipster from Oregon by the name of Todd Christensen.

The former BYU and Oakland Raiders star, a five-time Pro-Bowl selection, two-time Super Bowl champion and noted television sports analyst, died Wednesday morning from complications during liver transplant surgery at Intermountain Medical Center near his home in Alpine. Christensen was 57.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/18/13 04:11 AM
Doris Lessing, Nobel Prize-winning author, dies aged 94

Quote:
British Nobel Prize-winning author Doris Lessing has died aged 94.

A statement from her publisher, Harper Collins, said she "passed away peacefully at her London home in the early hours of this morning".

Her best-known works include The Golden Notebook, Memoirs of a Survivor and The Summer Before the Dark.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/20/13 12:01 AM
Syd Field, 'screenwriting guru', dies aged 77

Quote:
Syd Field, whose books on screenwriting became set texts for many aspiring film writers, has died at the age of 77.

Famous for outlining the three act structure used by many screenplays, the author and lecturer died of haemolytic anaemia at his Beverly Hills home.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/20/13 02:25 AM
Diane Disney Miller, Philanthropist and Daughter of Walt Disney, Dies at 79

Quote:
Philanthropist Diane Disney Miller, who was the daughter of Walt Disney, died Tuesday at her home in Napa, Calif. She had suffered a fall in September from which she never recovered.

Disney Miller, the eldest and only biological daughter of Lillian and Walt Disney, helped shepherd the development of Los Angeles’ Walt Disney Concert Hall ...

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/22/13 12:02 AM
Mad Dog Vachon dead at 84

Quote:
Maurice "Mad Dog" Vachon, one of the greatest heels of all-time and a former Canadian Olympic wrestler, passed away this morning at 4 a.m. in Omaha, Nebraska. He was 84 years of age...

With his wild, unpredictable style in the ring, growling voice, and wrestling skills to back up the barking, Mad Dog Vachon went from an Olympic wrestler, representing Canada at the 1948 Games in London, to one of the most hated -- and beloved -- professional wrestlers ever. He held countless championships, including the prestigious AWA World title, based out of Minneapolis...

More, with some good links

Another article with some good links: Quebec wrestler Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vachon dies at 84

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/22/13 05:45 PM
(MLB players) Union leader Michael Weiner dies

Quote:
Michael Weiner, the plain-speaking, ever-positive labor lawyer who took over as head of the powerful baseball players' union four years ago and smoothed its perennially contentious relationship with management, died Thursday, 15 months after announcing he had been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He was 51.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 11/22/13 08:29 PM
Vern Mikkelsen, Basketball Hall of Famer, dies at 85

Quote:
Vern Mikkelsen, a Basketball Hall of Fame forward who starred for Hamline and the Minneapolis Lakers, died Thursday night at age 85 at his home in Wayzata...

The 6-foot-7 Mikkelsen was a territorial draft selection by the Lakers in 1949, joining another future Hall of Famer, center George Mikan. Mikkelsen became a six-time NBA All-Star in his 10 seasons, all with Minneapolis, averaging 14.4 points and 9.4 rebounds...

More

Wikipedia

Career statistics
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/05/13 10:01 PM
Nelson Mandela dead at 95
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 01:10 AM

Clearly Paul Walker wasn't old enough to make your little list. coffee
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 01:38 AM
I forgot. It happens some times.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 02:10 AM

Clearly Paul Walker wasn't old enough to make your little list. coffee

I'll try to make up for it by posting the Wikipedia article on Paul Walker, which also contains some informative links.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 12:32 PM

Nelson Mandela 1981 - 2013 RIP

(Nelson was not obscure enough to make Golem's little list.)
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 02:57 PM

Nelson Mandela 1981 - 2013 RIP

(Nelson was not obscure enough to make Golem's little list.)

Scroll up a bit, Rick. He's there.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/06/13 03:29 PM

Never mind... blush
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/09/13 11:37 PM
Actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91

Quote:
Actress Eleanor Parker, a three-time Oscar nominee who played the scheming baroness in The Sound of Music, has died at age 91.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/10/13 06:42 PM
Actress Rossana Podestà dies

Quote:
Actress Rossana Podestà, best known as Helen of Troy in a 1956 film featuring a young Brigitte Bardot, died in Rome aged 79 Tuesday. Podestà was queen of the 'peplum' genre of mythological epics that found a global audience in the 1950s and '60s.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/15/13 07:08 PM
Peter O'Toole, star of Lawrence of Arabia, dies aged 81

Quote:
The actor Peter O'Toole who found stardom in David Lean's masterpiece Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his family has announced...

He received an honorary Oscar in 2003 after receiving eight nominations and no wins – an unassailed record...

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: Irked Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/15/13 07:46 PM
'Tis a sad thread, at first read of a new post. Then memories of all the wonder, enjoyment and accomplishments the person provided flow through and one can naught but smile.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/16/13 01:26 AM
Tom Laughlin, star of 'Billy Jack' films, dies at age 82

Quote:
Tom Laughlin, the maverick actor and filmmaker best known for the "Billy Jack" films, has died. He was 82.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official site
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/16/13 01:35 AM
Legendary Actress Joan Fontaine Dies at 96

Quote:
Joan Fontaine, the polished actress who achieved stardom in the early 1940s with memorable performances in the Alfred Hitchcock films Suspicion -- for which she earned the best actress Oscar over her bitter rival, sister Olivia de Havilland -- and Rebecca, has died. She was 96.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: pdx rick Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/16/13 01:58 AM

This thread is getting to be too much. Can it be moved down the forum? It really shouldn't be in the "NEWS" forum at the top of Reader Rant.

I don't like being affronted with death every time I come to Reader Rant - especially since nearly seventy percent of these people I have never heard of...

Plus the NEWS forum gets hardly ever used any more because of the need to broadcast some B-talent's death.
Posted By: Sandune Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/16/13 05:51 PM
Peter O'Toole made many classic movies in his short life. His Henry II opposite Hepburn's Eleanor of Aquitaine was his best at that time. My favorite was "The Stunt Man." The camera work and musical score were superb! I worked with many of the actors on the stage all over Hollywood and the entire cast adored their teetering and slightly unsober leading man who kept the entire cast and crew in stitches. The camera work on the exterior shots made in the Coronado Hotel were stunning.
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/16/13 05:54 PM
Don’t fret rick. What one can glean from all of the recent obits is that being an actor/tress is terminal.

Enter the profession at your own risk.
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/17/13 05:42 PM
Ray Price, Country Legend, Dead at 87

Quote:
Country Music Hall of Fame member Ray Price, one of country's prime hitmakers from the 1950s through the 1970s, died Monday (Dec. 16) at his home in Mt. Pleasant, Texas, following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Whether moaning honky-tonk blues or purring an intimate love song, Ray Price set dauntingly high standards. To appreciate his musical reach, one had only to listen to his first hit, "Talk to Your Heart" (1952), move on to the earnest shuffle of "City Lights" (1958) and then consider his sonorous, lavishly orchestrated "For the Good Times" (1970).

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/19/13 05:42 PM
Al Goldstein, Who Made Porn Dirtier, Dies at 77

Quote:
Al Goldstein, the scabrous publisher whose Screw magazine pushed hard-core pornography into the cultural mainstream, died on Thursday at a nursing home in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. He was 77.

The cause was believed to be renal failure, his lawyer, Charles C. DeStefano, said.

Mr. Goldstein did not invent the dirty magazine, but he was the first to present it to a wide audience without the slightest pretense of classiness or subtlety.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/22/13 04:30 AM
John Eisenhower, Historian and Ike's Son, Dies

Quote:
John S.D. Eisenhower, the son of a five-star general turned president who forged his own career in the U.S. Army and then chronicled the history of the American military in numerous books, died Saturday. He was 91.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/23/13 06:40 PM
Mikhail Kalashnikov, Creator of AK-47, Dies at 94

Quote:
Lt. Gen. Mikhail T. Kalashnikov, the arms designer credited by the Soviet Union with creating the AK-47, the first in a series of rifles and machine guns that would indelibly associate his name with modern war and become the most abundant firearms ever made, died on Monday in Izhevsk, the capital of the Udmurtia republic, where he lived. He was 94.

More

Wikipedia
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 12/27/13 05:37 PM
Paul Blair, Gold Glove center fielder who starred for Orioles, dies at 69

Quote:
Paul Blair, the eight-time Gold Glove center fielder who helped the Baltimore Orioles win a pair of World Series titles while gliding to make catches that former teammates still marvel at more than four decades later, has died. He was 69.

Blair died Thursday night at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

More

Wikipedia

Career statistics
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 01/02/14 05:13 PM
James Avery, star of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,' dies at 68

Quote:
Actor James Avery, who played the beloved Uncle Phil on the hit 1990s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," has died, his publicist said Wednesday. He was 68.

The cause of death was complications from open-heart surgery, said his manager, Toni Benson. Avery had surgery on November 11 and died Tuesday evening at a hospital in Glendale, California, according to Benson.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
Posted By: Golem Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2013 - 01/02/14 10:56 PM
Bob Grant, Father of Conservative Talk Radio, Dead at 84

Quote:
Veteran New York radio personality Bob Grant — widely credited with inventing the conservative talk-radio format — has died at the age of 84.

Grant, who lived in Toms River, N.J., passed away on New Year's Eve, according to the Branchburg Funeral Home.

Grant began his career as a controversial talk show host in 1970 when he joined WMCA in New York and quickly bucked the liberal slant of many of the other hosts.

The gravel-voiced talker's in-your-face opinions and regular telling off of callers often got him in hot water.

More

Wikipedia
© ReaderRant