Capitol Hill Blue
In states that cut off the $300 check, the workforce — the number of people who either have a job or are looking for one — has risen no more than it has in the states that maintained the payment. That federal aid, along with two jobless aid programs that served gig workers and the long-term unemployed, ended nationally Sept. 6. Yet America's overall workforce actually shrank that month.

Labor shortages have persisted longer than many economists expected, deepening a mystery at the heart of the job market. Companies are eager to add workers and have posted a near-record number of available jobs. Unemployment remains elevated. The economy still has 5 million fewer jobs than it did before the pandemic. Yet job growth slowed in August and September.

In Missouri, a group of businesses, still frustrated by labor shortages more than three months after the state cut off the $300-a-week federal jobless checks, paid for billboards in Springfield that said: "Get Off Your Butt!" and "Get. To. Work."

- WNYW

My employer has created a hybrid model for corporate office staff: 3-days a week at the office, 2-days a week at home. A lot of folks signed-up for it. Because I run the vanpool, I signed up and was approved for two work-from-home days, but I go in five days to keep the vanpool running. But, if there are "snow days" this winter, I'll do the WFH option. There are too may hills in my neck-of-the-wood, and I don't drive in snow. It's not worth the accident. Hmm
I know a huge group of 30+ year tenured employees at my employer, who is known for having "lifers," retired. Also, a lot of two-income families I know at work, are now one-income so that the family spends more time together and these same folks say they don't miss the money.

Money isn't everything - and it's not. smile
In Missouri, a group of businesses, still frustrated by labor shortages more than three months after the state cut off the $300-a-week federal jobless checks, paid for billboards in Springfield that said: "Get Off Your Butt!" and "Get. To. Work."
Mebbe if these businesses allocated the monies for higher wages, instead of brow-beating people for "being lazy," as these business owners think that's what's happening, mebbe they'd have workers today? Just a thought...

smile
I suspect a lot of people have realized they were working too much in the past. Very few people on their deathbeds say: "I wish I had spent less time with my family."
© ReaderRant