Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Scoutgal Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/08/12 09:22 PM
Welcome to the Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012

The weather has been hot hot hot! So let's get some water fun going!

How about some sailing?

And maybe a little scuba diving.

And who can forget the Slip-N-Slide

Let's go surfing-cowabunga!

Records of hottest temperatures throughout the world

Have a great week, Ranters-and keep cool!cool

Oscar-winning film star Ernest Borgnine dies in LA at age 95
F/A/O Schlacky

What do the people of Ireland called the United States? "America"? "The U.S." or both? What do you call the United States?
Both. "America" is the shortened colloquil name, and 'The United States of America" is the formal name. "US, "USA" "The States" are also other nicknames for our country. I, like most people use them interchangeably.
Originally Posted By: california rick
F/A/O Schlacky

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Both. "America" is the shortened colloquil name, and 'The United States of America" is the formal name. "US, "USA" "The States" are also other nicknames for our country. I, like most people use them interchangeably.

Um...thank you for your reply "Schlacky" coffee
Posted By: Schlack Re: Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/11/12 01:12 AM
F/A/O Schlacky

What do the people of Ireland called the United States? "America"? "The U.S." or both? What do you call the United States?

erm a variety of names really. Remember I'm speaking anecdotally here.

"The States" is probably the most commonly used colloqualism. "America" is generally synonomous with the USA. "American" would tend to mean a citizen of the US and would be most commonly used, along with "Yanks".

AS you well know there are very close ties between our towen countries so probably not unusual that there is some shared terminology. We would never refer to a canadian or mexican as an American... wouldnt want to insult them LOL

That said we would identify South Americans as such, mainly because were not overly familiar with all the coutries there and its easier to batch them together.
Posted By: Schlack Re: Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/11/12 01:13 AM
F/A/O Schlacky

Um...thank you for your reply "Schlacky" coffee

theres no need to be snotty about it! jeez, worse than my boss!
Originally Posted By: Schlack
theres no need to be snotty about it! jeez, worse than my boss!

I think that I might enjoy your boss' wit. smile
Happy Birthday Nikolai Tesla!

The 10 Inventions of Nikola Tesla That Changed The World

Given that I am a chemist I do like this. I also might add:

Old chemists never die, we just fail to react,

Chemist have solutions,

I have Avagodro's number, and

Honk if you love P-Chem

I do tend to honk a lot.
Originally Posted By: Jim D (FreeThinker)

Given that I am a chemist I do like this. I also might add:

Old chemists never die, we just fail to react,

Chemist have solutions,

I have Avagodro's number, and

Honk if you love P-Chem

I do tend to honk a lot.

I once saw many bumper stickers referring to "honk if you love. . .anal[ytical] chem.

Seriously. I only added the ytical for the RT. Not that anyone here would need it.

BTW, the cost of printing was massive at the time of my enrollment in the class Hmm violin
I met with my surgeon today and he's disappointed about the outcome of my surgery, which in turn, bummed me out. It's possible I might have to have a re-do. We won't know 'til September 11th.
Sorry to hear that, rick. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for a better outcome. ThumbsUp
Have you noticed any improvement at all since your surgery?
...It's possible I might have to have a re-do. We won't know 'til September 11th.

All I can say is, you need that like you need a hole in the head. tonbricks
Originally Posted By: Joe Keegan
Have you noticed any improvement at all since your surgery?

Yes. I even told the surgeon that I would quantify the improvement as thirty percent.

He asked: You would?!?

Originally Posted By: logtroll
...It's possible I might have to have a re-do. We won't know 'til September 11th.

All I can say is, you need that like you need a hole in the head. tonbricks

Hopefully, he'll be able to use the same one. wink

Manhattanenge
Did your surgeon say why he may want to redo the operation?
WOW!

He's looking for 100% relief. Any less is a failure. The surgeon is a renown brain surgeon and only he's used to getting 100% successes.
Man, I loved that driving in New York video. I know some drivers like that. I took my son's former girlfriend to a driving lesson, and the instructor (thinking I was her father) pulled me aside and said confidentially, she shouldn't ever have a license. She had made 7 traffic violations in 15 minutes.... and never left the parking lot.

He's looking for 100% relief. Any less is a failure. The surgeon is a renown brain surgeon and only he's used to getting 100% successes.
BFD. How do you feel about it? It's your cocoanut. Does your surgeon feel an additional operation is necessary? Are you satisfied with the results?
And is he going to pay for it?
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Man, I loved that driving in New York video. I know some drivers like that. I took my son's former girlfriend to a driving lesson, and the instructor (thinking I was her father) pulled me aside and said confidentially, she shouldn't ever have a license. She had made 7 traffic violations in 15 minutes.... and never left the parking lot.
I'll bet that she's got a license. When I was a young'in, I watched Silence Please,which just fascinated me. I don't know if it was the people, light, or whatever. It was a glimpse into recent history. Different people. Different time. Maybe the light caught on film immortalized on film and maybe digitalize?

What's the difference between then and now? I enjoyed the Rockford Files, but other than the now ubiquitous cell phone and flat screen monitor, can you tell me what's different between the 70's and now (except the "boats" that lumbered along our highways?).

About 30+ years ago, I was walking down some street near a courthouse with a nearby police station. I saw a woman try to parallel park between two cars (they happened to be police squad cars). She banged into the one in front, and then the one in the rear, and did it a time or two before she pulled out and hit a squad car that was passing bye. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it. The police officers were laughing so hard (me too), and they let her drive away. Different time. I've seen strange things, but nothing like this. It was still America. I miss those times. How about you?
Originally Posted By: logtrol
hominy NonCons does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Doesn't matter, they can't do it because they only know how to spin things backwards...)

ROTFMOL , Bow
Does your surgeon feel an additional operation is necessary?

We'll know on or about September 11th.

Are you satisfied with the results?

No.
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington

Don't know how a medical school writes up a re-do to an insurance company?
Good luck, my friend, in whatever you chose.

source
For some reason I am not seeing any images/videos Joe Keegan posts here. Anyone have any ideas why? Only Joes, btw.
Phil, I'm getting all of Joe's stuff just fine.

Don't know how a medical school writes up a re-do to an insurance company?
They slap a Greek name on it, instead of the usual Latin, add a few 'itis' and 'whatsosis' syllables, jack the price $25,000, and hope for the best.

BTW, I am hoping you need nothing more intruding into your noggin other than good thoughts, laughter, great jokes and the usual nonsense. And, I don't care if the surgeon wants 100% or else. It is your choice for the else. Right? violin
WOW indeed. violin Those almost rival sunrise over Lake Michigan. The next time the camera surfaces from the various piles in the office, I'll post some. Amazing photos those.
Phil, the alignment might have been NY, but those are truly wonderful. We don't get that effect in Chicago, mostly because no one has really made it well known. However, there are some mighty amazing sunrises where the sun comes through the tall buildings while creating a green flash on the surface of the Lake. I've seen it several times, but never have captured it on film, as I never think to carry a camera when heading to the Loop at 5 am to prepare for court.

Thanks so much.
Sad but true. eek violin

source
C.C. Pierce photo collection Los Angeles 1886-1920's
A nun and a priest were crossing the Sahara desert on a camel. On the
Third day out, the camel suddenly dropped dead without warning.

After dusting themselves off, the Nun and the Priest surveyed their
Situation. After a long period of silence, the Priest spoke.
'Well, Sister, this looks pretty grim.'

'I know, Father. In fact, I don't think it likely that we can survive
more than a day or two..'

'I agree,' says the Father. 'Sister, since we are unlikely to make it
Out of here alive, would you do something for me?'

'Anything, Father.'

'I have never seen a woman's breasts and I was wondering if I might see
Yours.'

'Well, under the circumstances I don't see that it would do any harm.'

The Nun opened her habit and the Priest enjoyed the sight of her
Shapely breasts, commenting frequently on their beauty.

'Sister, would you mind if I touched them?'.......she consented and he
Fondled them for several minutes.

'Father, could I ask something of you?'

'Yes, Sister?'

'I have never seen a man's penis. Could I see yours?'

'I suppose that would be OK,' the Priest replied lifting his robe.

'Oh Father, may I touch it?'

The priest consented and after a few minutes of fondling he was
Sporting a huge erection.

'Sister, you know that if I insert my penis in the right place, it can
Give Life.'

'Is that true Father?'

'Yes, it is, Sister.'

'Oh Father, that's wonderful ... Stick it in the camel and let's get
The hell out of here!'
Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
A nun and a priest were crossing the Sahara desert on a camel. On the
Third day out, the camel suddenly dropped dead without warning.

After dusting themselves off, the Nun and the Priest surveyed their
Situation. After a long period of silence, the Priest spoke.
'Well, Sister, this looks pretty grim.'

'I know, Father. In fact, I don't think it likely that we can survive
more than a day or two..'

'I agree,' says the Father. 'Sister, since we are unlikely to make it
Out of here alive, would you do something for me?'

'Anything, Father.'

'I have never seen a woman's breasts and I was wondering if I might see
Yours.'

'Well, under the circumstances I don't see that it would do any harm.'

The Nun opened her habit and the Priest enjoyed the sight of her
Shapely breasts, commenting frequently on their beauty.

'Sister, would you mind if I touched them?'.......she consented and he
Fondled them for several minutes.

'Father, could I ask something of you?'

'Yes, Sister?'

'I have never seen a man's penis. Could I see yours?'

'I suppose that would be OK,' the Priest replied lifting his robe.

'Oh Father, may I touch it?'

The priest consented and after a few minutes of fondling he was
Sporting a huge erection.

'Sister, you know that if I insert my penis in the right place, it can
Give Life.'

'Is that true Father?'

'Yes, it is, Sister.'

'Oh Father, that's wonderful ... Stick it in the camel and let's get
The hell out of here!'

ROTFMOL
Few people outside Saudi Arabia know that they have for years held desert endurance races, in which specially bred and trained camels are ridden across the desert with huge betting going on about which camel can go the farthest without taking a drink of water.

One day Achmed turned up with a scruffy camel named LBJ and entered him in the race. Despite huge odds against him, LBJ won the race going away, and then continued to do so despite LBJ's scruffy appearance and lack of pedigree. Of course Achmed became incredibly wealthy in the process.

So wealthy, in fact, that he turned down all offers to buy LBJ and similar offers to pay for LBJ's stud service.

Eventually Achmed retired, and one enterprising sheik offered him $10,000,000 in cash for his secret. Achmed accepted the offer, and said, "It's easy. I take LBJ to the watering hole the day before the race, and when I can see that he's about full, but when his snout is still in the water, I brick him."

The sheik looked puzzled. "Brick him?"

"Yes, I sneak up behind him and just as he's about to lift his snout out of the water I whack his testicles between two bricks. The camel gasps and takes in that last bit of water that makes the difference between winning and losing."

"By Allah," said the sheik, "Doesn't that hurt dreadfully?"

Achmed laughed. "No, you just have to learn to keep your thumbs out of the way."
Few people outside Saudi Arabia know that they have for years held desert endurance races, in which specially bred and trained camels are ridden across the desert with huge betting going on about which camel can go the farthest without taking a drink of water.

One day Achmed turned up with a scruffy camel named LBJ and entered him in the race. Despite huge odds against him, LBJ won the race going away, and then continued to do so despite LBJ's scruffy appearance and lack of pedigree. Of course Achmed became incredibly wealthy in the process.

So wealthy, in fact, that he turned down all offers to buy LBJ and similar offers to pay for LBJ's stud service.

Eventually Achmed retired, and one enterprising sheik offered him $10,000,000 in cash for his secret. Achmed accepted the offer, and said, "It's easy. I take LBJ to the watering hole the day before the race, and when I can see that he's about full, but when his snout is still in the water, I brick him."

The sheik looked puzzled. "Brick him?"

"Yes, I sneak up behind him and just as he's about to lift his snout out of the water I whack his testicles between two bricks. The camel gasps and takes in that last bit of water that makes the difference between winning and losing."

"By Allah," said the sheik, "Doesn't that hurt dreadfully?"

Achmed laughed. "No, you just have to learn to keep your thumbs out of the way."

shocked LOL
Narly 5:28 a.m. car crash in New Jersey:

shocked Did the driver of that black car that went airborne survive?
Going to go to an outside concert and listen to a tribute band play some Bob Seger. ThumbsUp
Posted By: Schlack Re: Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/14/12 12:13 AM
Posted By: Schlack Re: Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/14/12 12:47 AM
Posted By: Schlack Re: Round Table For July 8th-July 14th, 2012 - 07/14/12 04:44 PM
© ReaderRant