Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Greger RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/08/21 09:55 PM
Welcome to the
ReaderRant RoundTable
at the End of the Trump Regime!

We're not gonna have Donald Trump to kick around anymore and the extreme right has bloodied themselves and sullied whatever reputation they ever had as "Patriots" with most Americans of both parties.

It is entirely possible that this ushers in a new sense of responsibility among our elected officials in Washington DC. They've seen where hyper-partisan politics goes up close.

The Trump bootlickers still in place might find it hard to get elected next time around.

It's possible...it's not likely...But the real sh*tshow is over, we can at least get back to some sort of normalcy. I'm betting we see weed legalized federally within a year. Biden doesn't like it much but it will make him a hero to millions of Americans.

The $15 minimum wage might happen too, although we waited to long and it needs to be $20 now. I expect we'll see some sort of forward movement on healthcare as well. Walls will be torn down and the weird radical Trump approach to immigration will at least become slightly more compassionate.

I've heard that Mexico has agreed to pay for the wall now and Canada wants one too after the recent kerfuffle at the Capital...

Things are going to start to get better and Joe Biden will get the credit.

I'm going into this new year and new administration with high hopes.

For the first post - Draft Articles of Impeachment - One count
That was some enjoyable reading, thanks.

Giggling fits are starting again.

smile
Biden has been saying all the right stuff about Garland running an independent Department of Justice. This leaves prosecution in federal prosecutors hands, so I predict a lot of it from Southern District of NY and DC prosecutors. All those crazy MAGA insurrectionists are going to be really sorry about not wearing masks! This was a perfect time to rob banks, because they require masks, and they go invade the capital and then post their selfies on line.

If the senate can't bring themselves to convict Trump, maybe they will censure him so he can't run again.
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
...This was a perfect time to rob banks, because they require masks...

I actually thought that very same thing last April. Then I realized there's a reason why the lines are so long at the drive-thrus at the banks in my area, and still are - the lobbies are closed. gobsmacked
I see the ANWR oil lease auction was a disaster. Proponents thought opening up the Alaska Wildlife Refuge to drilling could bring in 1.8 billion dollars. Less than half the tracts received bids, and almost all those were from the State of Alaska (who gets back half the bid money). The total was only 14.4 million dollars. ZERO big oil companies bid, and I think the state wants to leave it untouched.

This is another major fiasco for the Trump Team.
...I think the state wants to leave it untouched.

Doesn't sound like the red state Alaska that I know. Mebbe they'll do their own oil exploring. Hmm

This is another major fiasco for the Trump Team.

Trump is the most incompetent POTUS ever. gobsmacked

Sunday Challenge

Who can find the best visual to represent this word?

Condescension
We're off to work on the cabin today (no internet), so I won't be able to post my entry until later today.
On reflection, I'll post my entry now...

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Sunday Challenge

Condescension

Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/10/21 06:26 PM
sick

smile
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/10/21 07:00 PM
Sunday Challenge

Condescension

So many to choose from! Let’s go with this.

Originally Posted By: Irked
So many to choose from! Let’s go with this.

Loggy wrote "condescension," NOT constipation. coffee
That’s supposed to be con descension...

dunce

Crybaby Trump insurrectionist crying that he got kicked-off his flight at the airport returning home from wrecking the US Capitol and was labeled a terrorist.

Quote:
They're ruining my life!

Twitter.com

smile
And didja see that one of the fatalities in the attack was a guy who accidently tasered himself in the balls while trying to steal a painting and died from a resulting heart attack.
Originally Posted By: Greger
And didja see that one of the fatalities in the attack was a guy who accidently tasered himself in the balls while trying to steal a painting and died from a resulting heart attack.

Are you shittin’ me?

What a stupid TumpTARD. rolleyes

Breitbart removed this post of mine:

Quote:
Mr. Trump is broke. He's highly leveraged. I doubt anyone will loan him any money in the future because of his insurrection against the United States of America.

Rightwingers hate the truth. gobsmacked

...and they removed this one:

Quote:
Why do you condone the theft of government property by insurrectionists?

Hmm

TMZ has placed 100 pics of insurrectionists on their website so that decent Americans can help identify who they are.

smile
Apparently several were off-duty cops and members of the military in civilian cloths. Cops were photographed using their badges and ID cards to gain access in the mob. I think there is going to be a significant purge in the Capital Police. Their Chief has already resigned. Congress is going to find out exactly who refused FBI and National Guard assistance, and who planned those flimsy barriers and such thin staffing.

It isn't just TMZ: The FBI has a ton of wanted posters going out. This may be the best documented crime in history!

One funny thing: MAGAtards online are claiming that those were actually Communist Gay Antifa members who attacked Congress. But all the MAGAtards who DID go to Washington DC and stormed the Congress now have to see pictures of themselves being called Communist Gay Antifa members.
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. -William James, psychologist and philosopher (11 Jan 1842-1910)
AOne funny thing: MAGAtards online are claiming that those were actually Communist Gay Antifa members who attacked Congress.

I know...because MAGAts deep-down are cowards. Plain and simple. mad

So much for personal responsibility. I never want to hear a Republiclown ever say that or anything about the deficits every again. mad
Originally Posted By: pdx rick
... decent Americans ...

This is not a swip at you, pdx rick, just a personal distaste of the phrase.

This term has always bothered me, it is so biased and based upon opinion. I prefer Law Abiding gives the reader something to measure against. To the Domestic Terrorist (proud boys, oath keepers, QAnon, supremacists, etc) I would not be a decent American. Granted there are laws that are unjust and should be repealed, but at least it is a codified measuring stick.
"Decent Americans" do not wage war against the United States Government at the behest of a rogue president.

Although a lot of decent Americans have gotten caught up in the lies, caught up in the conspiracy theories, and caught up in the hyper-partisan politics of the day.
Belichick declines Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump.

Belichick: No Thanks

He may be an ahole, but he's an ahole with integrity.

Tump's Rightwing extremists have updated their Gadsden Flag:

smile

"Decent Americans" do not wage war against the United States Government at the behest of a rogue president.

Although a lot of decent Americans have gotten caught up in the lies, caught up in the conspiracy theories, and caught up in the hyper-partisan politics of the day.

If you are a "Decent American" then wage war against the United States, for what ever reason, are you still a "Decent American"? You are sure not a law-abiding American.

I've never met a decent Right-winger. So let's just start there. smile
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/12/21 08:34 PM
There seems to be a real problem within the group that rioted and stole from the congressional building. I found it pretty amazing. There is the guy who stole Pelosi's reading stand and then posed for a photo holding said item on his way out with a great big smile on his face. There are several things like this. These criminal jackasses have got to be the worst thieves out there! When one is in the process of committing a crime its simply not a bright thing to do when you show yourselves with the ill gotten gains smiling and posing for a photo.

My own thought is that these idiots had no idea they were breaking any laws or a walking two-by-fours and should be put someplace for their own safety. When they say "proud boys" they must REALLY mean it. Its kinda like holding up a 711 whilst smiling at the camera to make sure they know who you are. Its just flat out very strange. Its as if somebody told these guys to make sure to get their pictures taken if they are going to break any laws so we all know who and what they are?

Just saying.............

Oh, now they are apparently telling everybody their new plans, the fact that next time they will be armed, what their plans to shoot are, etc. Its as if the first time around they were just not too good and, this next time, they are going to fix that by telling everybody their plans and then maybe they can all be arrested? My own hope is that gov will provide cameras EVERYWHERE, thereby making sure we can watch them indulge in crime whilst making sure that they are all recorded whilst at it.
Me wife's auld Da died today at the ripe age of 97. No condolences, please, he was a cold bastid who's last words to her who had taken responsibility for him during his last pitiful eight years were, "Go home!", followed 30 minutes later when she announced she'd be leaving, with, "Good!"

The news is that his carcass is to be the inaugural "conservation burial" at our co-op farm. He won't be interred six feet under, as that is not conducive to re-assimiliation into the soil ecosystem via microbes and bugs and bacteria and fungi. It has been projected, according to our regeneration business plan, that in a couple of years he will be living happily in grasses and trees and assorted microbiology as the goddess Gaia (not his false Christian God) intends for all her children, aberrant in life, or not. Ergo, no marker will stand over the hole he will be buried in, since he won't be in that particular location for long.

Skol!
The FBI has 170 cases open now, charging insurrectionists with Sedition and Conspiracy. So quite a few of them are not going to make it to their planned later events! There is a massive effort to identify all the rest, so they can be charged. A number of Capital Police have been suspended while under investigation. They could be charged as well.

These are not minor crimes with probation sentences. They are 20 years in Levenworth-type crimes. They can enhance that with the Conspiracy charge.
I see that McTurtle has figured out the only thing that can save his party is to impeach & convict Trump. Would have worked better last time, but better late than never. Lots of people are calling for expulsion of Hawley and Cruz, so it looks like hitching your wagon on to Trump may not work out so well.

It will be fun to see how many Republicans in the House vote to impeach, now they know the Senate will probably convict. We ought to be able to make some kind of drinking game out of that. How quick the wind shifts!

One thing I am curious about: When Ginni Thomas gets sent to prison for sedition, will her husband resign from the Supreme Court and do his best to disappear?
Quote:
"Look, I don't think the president, on a number of occasions, has acted very presidential," said Buck. "That's not the question here. The question is whether it's an impeachable offense. What I'm trying to suggest to you is the level of animosity and the level of really vitriol between these two sides has been building for five or six years now. And to say that there's one speech or one incident that caused this group of people to storm the Capitol is just not accurate. What I'm trying to suggest to you is that both sides are at fault and in America, we need to be very careful—"

Chunky will love Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO)'s interview on CNN. Buck says "both sides" have encouraged and fomented insurrection.

crazy

Russell Moore, the influential evangelical Christian who currently serves as the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission asks how Evangelicals asked on NPR:

Quote:
"Part of this reckoning is: How did we get here?" he said. "How were we so easily fooled by conspiracy theories? We need to make clear who we are. And our allegiance is to King Jesus, not to what boasting political leader might come next."

You're easily duped, that's how. Can you say imaginary sky faerie? Hmm

Trump's insurrectionist mob is being hunted down and arrested. smile
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/13/21 06:58 PM
Mrs Thomas has been a wild one for quite some time and has managed to be above it all and free as a bird. Its unlikely that anything will change.

My wife tells me she is also a racist. If that is true then that may be a mystery?
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/13/21 07:14 PM
Somebody on TV was talking about the guy who was so delighted to show his scoring Pelosi's book stand (there is a name, I can't remember it). He started listing the charges against him. I think there was something like 5 charges and they were all serious. That poor guy is going to spend a LOT of time staring at the walls of his 'room'.

I wonder if that is going to make any difference to the idiots who are going to have at it during the next week. The courts, I suspect, are not going to be kindly towards these idiots. I guess another way to put that is that he is going to be educated with some vigor in what reality really is. I think the term that fits these folks is "clueless"?

Impeached AGAIN!!!

smile

Obama = Two terms

Trump = Two impeachments

smile

Trump made a hostage video! LOL

Obama = Two terms

Trump = Two impeachments

smile

But President Donald (...) Trump* did it in one term blush

* Impeached: December 18, 2019, and January 13, 2021
Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly

Obama = Two terms

Trump = Two impeachments

smile

Heck...orange Fatass did it in 13 months!!! LOL
Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly

Obama = Two terms

Trump = Two impeachments

smile

Heck...orange Fatass did it in 13 months!!! LOL

allhail
The news is that his carcass is to be the inaugural "conservation burial" at our co-op farm. He won't be interred six feet under, as that is not conducive to re-assimiliation into the soil ecosystem via microbes and bugs and bacteria and fungi. It has been projected, according to our regeneration business plan, that in a couple of years he will be living happily in grasses and trees and assorted microbiology as the goddess Gaia (not his false Christian God) intends for all her children, aberrant in life, or not. Ergo, no marker will stand over the hole he will be buried in, since he won't be in that particular location for long.

Skol!

‘Tis done! The hole was hand dug, and hand-filled, layered with ample biochar and composted mulch. All in attendance were in full agreement the the rightness of it is undeniable. We intend to develop some “promotional” materials - mostly concerning the vision for the farm as a community centric sustainable food production, appropriate technology, and wholistic science center. We will offer similar participatory burial opportunity to all comers with no charge, but donations to the mission and vision of the farm appreciated.

The mortuary that collected the body, stored it for a couple of days, and took care of most of the required paperwork, had never heard of such a thing, but said that people are always asking for more “natural” alternatives to the standard funeral process. They were quite enthused and said they would refer those inquiries to us in the future.

Me wife’s Da will be pushing up blackberries in a few months...
Here’s a song about our efforts this morning...

If it was up to me they'd bury me and plant a tree

on top of me.

Just me and this tree. Who would carry my name into the next century. And then one day near the end of my life, they would cut me down.

And build a boat and sail away.
Nice.
A quick YO to all you folks! Life goes on, so they say. smile
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/15/21 06:57 PM
Yo! Ezekiel! Long time no see. Happy to see you again.
There's a nice science fiction story along those lines. A fellow is dying on an alien planet and his body is taken over by a dying tree that preserves his consciousness as he grows into a huge tree that stands for 1000 years. The story is "Hybrid" from "Galactic Odyssey" by Keith Laumer in case anybody wants to read it.
I'm back😱😀, but cleverly incognito as Coddle, named after Schlack's favorite Irish grey milky stew, which as I seem to recall, was an alias, probably adopted after a penalty box visitation for no apparent violation!😱😀
Previously I had been !known as TatumA, Leoger, or possibly other forgotten usernames.

I figured it might be safe to return now that the statute of limitations has apparently run out or I was granted a pardon and a temporary password!
Also I might be able to comment now that Rump's moon is setting, and my blood pressure may not be pushed to lethal levels as long as Biden gets inaugurated without nukes being released on blue states!

I hope I can get a real password on this tablet, as I'm suddenly between computers!
Hope to see y'all soon!

Tat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bow How are YOU?!? smile
Originally Posted By: TatumAH
... I was granted a pardon...

How much did Trump charge for you the pardon? coffee
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel
A quick YO to all you folks! Life goes on, so they say. smile

Zeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile Yay!!!!! Zeek is back!!!!! Bow

Bill Maher wrote a children's book for Donald Trump so that he understands that he lost the election:

MAGAts are funny!!! They went to DC to assassinate politicians and overthrow the government, were unsuccessful, got arrested, now want a pardon so they can get on with their lives.

smile
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/16/21 05:53 PM
You are, basically, describing yet another Trump failure. Looks like they have been trained by their lord and master and are now emulating him as well?

I continue to believe that the courts are not going to be real kind to them (hopefully)
Originally Posted By: jgw
You are, basically, describing yet another Trump failure. Looks like they have been trained by their lord and master and are now emulating him as well?

I continue to believe that the courts are not going to be real kind to them (hopefully)

What a fitting end to the Trump Era - idiot Trump tricked his base into being rounded-up, convicted and imprisoned.

smile
And they had to pay for their own travel expenses to do that!
And they had to pay for their own travel expenses to do that!

Perhaps not. Hmm
I expect a blanket pardon for any and all charged in the Jan 6 event.
Trump is certainly not reimbursing them! He never pays for anything. He's the prototype of the rich guy who invites you to lunch at the fanciest place in town, but forgets his wallet. (Don't forget, the Koch funding is cut off.)

Blanket pardons all around is more "aid or comfort" to insurrectionists. It makes Trump's chances of being barred from running again that much higher. I also expect lots of people get indicted anyway, and when their lawyers bring up a pardon the prosecutors make the 14th Amendment argument that Trump did not have pardon power after the 6th. It will get to the Supreme Court where they almost to a man decide it applies. They have no love of any of the people Trump will try to pardon.

By then the Republican Establishment who sent most of them, will want nothing to do with the insurrectionists or Trump. CYA, baby!

Every insurrectionists' lawyer so far that has spoken to the media states the insurrectionist was spurred to action by Donald Trump's words. Not something that will be "forgotten about" or "swept under the rug" in the weeks ahead as some have suggested.

Hmm
I expect a blanket pardon for any and all charged in the Jan 6 event.

Who's left in the Administration to have the pardon order written up? Even Lieleigh McEnany has left Trump. smile
Re: Kelly-girl:
She is a lawyer, and at this point no lawyer, without rabies, wants to have their name or signature on a rump associated document! Speaking of, attorneys with rabies, I doubt that the black Rudie-ooze from his head was rabies associated, as he would be dead by now, not just brain dead!
My experience with neuropathology suggests that it was not medical at all, but rather a spiritual event with his black soul leaving his body after a spiritual rejection episode. Even a soul can only take so much torment!
TAT

There's a reason why he is called Ghouliani:

smile
PDX, Re Ghouliani,

Hopefully not any more of a Zombie, than has already been evident!
TAT
My experience with neuropathology suggests that it was not medical at all, but rather a spiritual event with his black soul leaving his body after a spiritual rejection episode. Even a soul can only take so much torment!
TAT

I must make a note... research has shown that "black soul" is a form of tar that is not water soluble. Therefore, all indications are that Rudy has been ingesting highly volatile liquids, either by drinking, or extreme huffing - perhaps intravenously. Or maybe bleach?

Incompetent insurrectionist fomenting Fatass Trump wants a military send-off on Wednesday, full of pageantry and pomp and circumstances. The Pentagon replied, "Scram MAGAt, take a hike."

An Uber ride to National Airport is all Fatboy should get on the tax payer's dime, or better yet, given a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide and tell him to make use of his thumb.

smile
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/17/21 07:40 PM
I would advise everybody that Trump has a disease which is, obviously, easily caught. Virtually all White House employees, for instance, have it. If you want to hire toadies, liars, and lackies then hire one - otherwise ..... I believe everybody is well aware of this disease. Its kinda tricky, not unlike Covid. Often people don't even know they have it but, apparently, from all reports most employers do know about it.
Contagious narcissism

Also known as narcissism by proxy!
As I have observed in several medical centers, narcissism is highly contagious, with the sycophants rapidly adapting the leader's characteristics, or else had better move on. Resistance to narcissism is regarded by the participants as traitorous, and is dealt with ruthlessly.

This is why I was so appropriately apprehensive about rump's psychopathology. The academic world is full of narcissists with variable pathology, but the worst are the malignant narcissists! All narcissists hurt people, but the malignant narcissists enjoy it much more!

They are extremely dangerous, even without much power, but with real power they come into their own. Heaven help us! Maybe the white evangelicals will put in a good word for the rest of us. I would like to ask them about how they like God's plan for America, except I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like their answers.

TAT

Christians worshiping the Anti-Christ has always been a prominent feature in the church's mythology. I guess their embracing Trump should be no surprise.
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/18/21 03:26 AM
Christians worshiping the Anti-Christ has always been a prominent feature in the church's mythology. I guess their embracing Trump should be no surprise.

Exactly!

In honor of MLK

Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/18/21 07:16 PM
Yep! They are also completely clueless, and completely lack any kind of sensitivity. They are also seriously expert when it comes to blame.

I suspect its incurable ....
Incurable, as none of them ever thinks that they needs curing.
My therapist friends, tell me that they only get narcissists as patients when they are under judicial orders, or otherwise avoiding legal actions.

Actual effective therapy requires a sincere wish or desire to change, and none want to because they know that they are already perfect!

Not that therapy has actually proved to be effective in innate character disorders, but it is possible for some that have acquired or chosen it for career purposes, might want to change, to ever have a career again! But Im not hopeful as there still seems to be a market for this BRAND!
TAT

Martin

Martin Luther King Jr. abhorred the death penalty. Executing Black men on his birthday would dishonor him.

I would be lax in my scrutiny of rumps last days if I failed to note that one of rump's final wishes did not happen. He dearly wanted his base to remember his administration executed more federal prisoners than any prez in many years, and as a misogynist who executed the only women in many year. That will teach those uppity women!

He had hoped to give a special King birthday present to America on King's birthday by executing a black man, but it just didn't happen. The actual birthday was Friday, and a late appeal delayed the execution till Saturday. If only Barr had stayed around just a little longer this tragedy might have been averted.

Purrhaps we should take this topic elsewhere for discussion, but I felt that mentioning here was appropriate for MLK Day.

TAT
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/19/21 05:49 AM
It can never be said enough: with Trump, there is no bottom.
It can never be said enough: with Trump, there is no bottom.

There is substantial evidence of a fatass, however.
bottomless

My son did give me a bumper sticker that may help, butt maybe not.

I am considering the deep philosophical incongruity of a bottomless fat ass, and will report when it is determined if a solution exists.

Mark Twain only compounds the problem:

There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt.

- Pudd'nhead Wilson's calender

TAT

Many people are complaining that the "$2,000" next check will be $1,400. During the recent Georgia run-off race, it was always stated as "$2,000."

No one from the Democratic side ever said increasing the $600 by $1400 for $2000. Media and politicians always said "$2000."

Ol' Joe needs to step-up to the plate and make the checks $2,000 because people were expecting a total of $2,600 and not let this be his first disappointment - it's just not worth it.

smile
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/19/21 09:40 PM
Sending money to every American whether they need it or not is just plain stupid. Send more to those who have lost their income. They are the ones who need it and will spend it. The rest will put it in the bank with the rest of the money they’ve been saving by staying home and eating in.
I'm a big spender!!

Down here at the poverty level, any money at any time is a good thing.

But I don't "need" it. My income has been uninterrupted. I even got a $13 a month raise this year....Me and Elon Musk, we killin' it.

Chaka Kahn - To Sir With Love (Mega Dance Remix)

smile
Sending money to every American whether they need it or not is just plain stupid.

Economists disagree with you friend, Irk. These same economists point to the Spring of 2020 when the GPD didn't take a hit as it should have because folks used that money in the economy. Frankly, there should the been another infusion last Summer 2020.

Quote:
Dr. Baker and fellow researchers looked at how recipients spent their stimulus checks. The surprising find was the spending behavior was very different depending on how much cash people had in the bank. The people who had $3,000 or more in their checking accounts had no response to the appearance of their stimulus check. So the stimulus checks to those with cash in the bank did nothing to stimulate the economy. On the other hand, those who maintained accounts with $500 or less spent almost half of the deposits—44.5 cents per every dollar—within 10 days. The stimulus checks to those with little cash in the bank, resulted in 44.5% of the check amount going back into the economy in 10 days, which further stimulated the economy.

The other finding of the research was that people used the stimulus checks to pay for food, household items, bills, and rent. Unlike stimulus funds in the past, this money wasn’t used for purchase of durable goods such as electronics, furniture, or cars. So the stimulus checks didn’t stimulate the hard-hit areas of the economy like manufacturing or retail.

- UC Davis.edu

Hmm

Quote:
"Thank you for calling the Trump Pardon Line. Your call is very important to us. Please stay on the line & your call will be answered in the order it was received. Please press 2 to make a cash donation and speak to a customer service agent immediately. Thank you for call . . ."

smile

This is what real class looks like you radicalized Trump-lovers, it's called: understated elegance

smile
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/20/21 06:57 AM
Sending money to every American whether they need it or not is just plain stupid.

Economists disagree with you friend, Irk. These same economists point to the Spring of 2020 when the GPD didn't take a hit as it should have because folks used that money in the economy. Frankly, there should the been another infusion last Summer 2020.

Quote:
Dr. Baker and fellow researchers looked at how recipients spent their stimulus checks. The surprising find was the spending behavior was very different depending on how much cash people had in the bank. The people who had $3,000 or more in their checking accounts had no response to the appearance of their stimulus check. So the stimulus checks to those with cash in the bank did nothing to stimulate the economy. On the other hand, those who maintained accounts with $500 or less spent almost half of the deposits—44.5 cents per every dollar—within 10 days. The stimulus checks to those with little cash in the bank, resulted in 44.5% of the check amount going back into the economy in 10 days, which further stimulated the economy.

The other finding of the research was that people used the stimulus checks to pay for food, household items, bills, and rent. Unlike stimulus funds in the past, this money wasn’t used for purchase of durable goods such as electronics, furniture, or cars. So the stimulus checks didn’t stimulate the hard-hit areas of the economy like manufacturing or retail.

- UC Davis.edu

Hmm

From The Week article about the same Dr. Baker

Quote:
Yet some liberals are hesitant or outright against the checks. "There is no good economic argument for the $2,000 checks," writes economist Larry Summers in Bloomberg. Paul Krugman is more measured in The New York Times, arguing that a better focus would be "on enhanced unemployment benefits for the millions of workers who, thanks to the pandemic, have no income at all." In the Washington Post, Catherine Rampell frets that checks are "not a terribly efficient use of resources."

So, not all economists.
Hours to go. I can't sleep.
Welcome back, and well said. I'm so looking forward to not having to hold back my disregard for the miscreant of 1600 Pennsylvania anymore. Most of the rats have abandoned ship already and too many have been pardoned. But the chaos ends at noon Eastern, and the adults take charge. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
His Travesty has left the building...

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

Nobody sums it better than Stanley Holloway!
TAT
The era of the "Drain the Swamp" con, is ended, replaced by the "Clean Up The Massive Mess Left By The FPOS" period.

Maybe we'll even get some progressive things done. There is a concept of personal improvement that says our behaviors become crystalized over time, and the only way to evolve is to melt the crystals to allow them to reform in a different way.

A key element is, of course, is that the stage needs to be set for a better way before the meltdown occurs. I think we have some good opportunities, if only they can be recognized and implemented.
Melt the swamp!
The Rebellion of The Idiots has been put down (for now)!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/20/21 07:09 PM
The original Confederacy was vile and inhumane but not risible. The latest incarnation of the impulses that formed the original Confederacy - this Confederacy of Dunces - is even more vile and inhumane than the first. The passage of time has made their beliefs and actions abhorrent to all good people. These beliefs and actions are not only anachronistic, but ridiculous and the actors themselves just so many craven buffoons and clowns.
An article on cults (specifically the Trump cult...)
Quote:
people used the stimulus checks to pay for food, household items, bills, and rent

That's a bad thing? I tend to agree with the idea that we should be giving money to people who need it, rather than people who don't. Increasing and extending unemployment would be one good way to do that. Or just give poor people $4000 and people who still have income and savings nothing.
So what's with the Trump exit using both Fortunate Son and YMCA as his parting theme songs? The former is about a poor kid who has to go to Vietnam and fight because he can't pay a doctor to claim he has bone spurs, and the latter the Gay National Anthem!

Do you think there might be a undercover prankster selecting Trump's marching music?
The Rebellion of The Idiots has been put down (for now)!

Many of the Q-Anon idiots are despondent and feel duped today:
  • No Marshal Law Declared by Trump
  • Trump did not hold on to power
  • Joe Biden was Inaugurated
That's what happens when you listen to a known orange liar. smile

(Us "Satanic baby eaters" [read: Liberals] can rejoice! LOL We're safe from Q's for now)
...and the latter the Gay National Anthem!...

It's actually about men having sex with other men at the Y. (For real smile )
Well, I was being a bit more delicate. For most people it's just about nice young men enjoying the company of other nice young men in a Christian environment. I doubt all those people at wedding receptions are thinking about the details of gay sex while flailing their arms about to form the letters. And actually, I wonder if sex at YMCAs was ever very common. That's what gay bars and glory holes are for.

Back when I was single in the late 70's, I used to go to gay bars with my friends. They would pick up other young men and I would chat up their lady friends. The ladies liked the gay clubs to dance, but many were left fairly starved for intimate companionship. Which I supplied. smile

I woke this morning and there was no Tweet or drama from the POTUS. It's gonna take me a minute to get used to not having an internet troll for a president. smile
FAUCI UNCHAINED Recites Entire Periodic Table of Elements at White House Briefing

And, It's also such a relief to observe, not only the resurrection of science, but also Irksome satire!

And, Lest we forget!

TAT

Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/22/21 07:05 PM
Amazing. Gay bars are good for any number of things. I used to drive a taxi and my wife would come down town and wait for me. I found her a nice male gay bar to wait in. Neither of us had much money and I told her that she was safe in the bar and she would probably never have to pay for a drink. This went on for a couple of years and, strangely enough, she never had to pay for a drink!

If I was with her I ALWAYS had to pay for my drink!
If I was with her I ALWAYS had to pay for my drink!

Gay men are very looksist.

Hmm
Just watched an interesting YouTube video on Trump's debt problem. Turns out if he had just sold everything and put it in a blind trust invested in the SP500, he would be hundreds of millions of dollars richer today than keeping all those assets. A lot of his "investments" have never turned a profit. His properties and golf courses in Scotland have never paid a penny of property tax. All his banks have just closed his accounts, even if he didn't owe them anything. They want nothing to do with him.
Just watched an interesting YouTube video on Trump's debt problem. Turns out if he had just sold everything and put it in a blind trust invested in the SP500, he would be hundreds of millions of dollars richer today than keeping all those assets. A lot of his "investments" have never turned a profit. His properties and golf courses in Scotland have never paid a penny of property tax. All his banks have just closed his accounts, even if he didn't owe them anything. They want nothing to do with him.
PBS Newshour reported all of that last night as well. Hmm
I watch a lot of PBS and MSNBC on YouTube since I don't have broadcast TV hooked up or cable TV service.
I watch a lot of PBS and MSNBC on YouTube since I don't have broadcast TV hooked up or cable TV service.

I don't have broadcast or cable any longer. i watch PBS Newshour thru Apple TV.

Looking to buy a house soon, considering broadcast w/ antenna because I do miss TiVo.

smile
Do you have good line of sight to the major broadcast station's towers in Seattle? That's important for digital TV. My problem is I live behind mountains to both LA and San Diego towers, and quite a distance from each.

That station antennas are actually on Mt. Rainer, the highest point in the area.
For now anyway!

The 3 word Bible always has an appropriate reference for any situation, but as Chapter and Verse are not yet agreed upon I will quote it in context

Quote:
dilithium crystals failed
She's gonna blow!
Kardashian's again Scotty?
ouch
A goodly amount of snow here (8"), very pretty! Supposed to get more today, followed by 9 degrees tonight - very chilly!

Went to the cabin Saturday for a sit by the woodstove, a Reuben on the panini grill for lunch, a nap with a good book (Doc Savage #13, Land of Always-Night), and a watch of the snow storm's first hours. Headed for home about 2:00 via the over-the-mountain route driving the wife's 2-wheel drive Toyota pickup, and got about halfway up to the 8,000' pass before spinning out hopelessly. Backed up about a 1/4 mile on the winding narrow road (oh, my god, I can hardly see!!) to a turnaround place and headed back down ever so carefully. Had to take the (mostly snow free) long way home - about 20 miles longer. I took the opportunity to regale my mate with endless stories of my youth, driving a 1947 Jeep into the gaping maw of death every weekend, just for the pure joy and challenge!

Not no more...
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/26/21 07:27 PM

That station antennas are actually on Mt. Rainer, the highest point in the area.

Um, no. There are no TV transmissions towers on Mt. Rainier - snowcapped 14,000+ ft volcano almost entirely a national park. The transmission towers for Seattle are on Queen Anne and Capitol Hills.
emergency kit for driving in snowy mountainous areas

I always take my emergency safety kit when driving in snowy mountainous areas. Make sure "passengers" know how to find it in case you are hurt, though planning does make some uncomfortable. And, it's really best to not try to go it alone!
Nothing better than a spontaneous party when life's got you down!
Quote:
I always take my emergency safety kit
My dad was from Wisconsin so he was always prepared...A bottle of whiskey under the drivers seat.

He could handle anything but sobriety.
My wife is from LaCrosse Wi, right across the Mississippi from Minnesota and everyone drove drunk, which I couldn’t understand, as at that time they had the record for most bars/mile, 400 plus, and one on every corner’

Quote:
La Crosse (WI), with over 360 bars, is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most bars per capita and also for the most bars on one street.

OK, I stand corrected and guilty of gross exaggeration and negligent disinformation! crazy In my defense, it isn't easy to count them on a bar crawl while seeing double!
When life's gets you down...
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/27/21 05:48 AM
With the line of the ages: “Life’s a piece of sh*t / When you look at it”
With the line of the ages: “Life’s a piece of sh*t / When you look at it”

And,the view from up there is so inspiring, where we can get a perspective of the beauty all around us in this most exceptional "nation"!
... I stand corrected and guilty of gross exaggeration and negligent disinformation!

You missed your calling as a Trump Administration employee. coffee
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/27/21 09:23 PM
dunce Doh! Mixed up movies and songs. dunce
:ohsnap:
Will they revoke my lifetime membership in the Benevolent Exalted and Fraternal Order of Gumbys? shocked
... I stand corrected and guilty of gross exaggeration and negligent disinformation!

You missed your calling as a Trump Administration employee. coffee

I may be kinda slow, but any moran can pick this up in four years of intense instruction!
[quote=Irked] dunce Doh! Mixed up movies and songs. dunce
:ohsnap:
The constitution protects songs in movies!
Freedom of song, under the Frist!
As long as we are already slithering down the slippery pythonest slope, why not go all the way in with the most psychotic / pharmaceutical psychedelic python ? It seems more reality based than politics nowadays!
TAT

Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/28/21 02:26 AM
Love the arms.

And, I ask you: Why shouldn’t pythons be at least as BEFOGed as politicians?
I hesitate ROTFMOL to point out the obvious, yeah right, that pythons have used their reptilian brains in constructive evolution as opposed to the devolution of the GOP, and they exterminate rodent vermin!
Pythons are now well established in the everglades as a highly effective invasive species that hopefully can eliminate "Scotty"! I'm glad Greger has now left that dangerous swamp!
This winter will help push the spread of the snakes south and well out of my region for the foreseeable future. It's been fecking cold this year.

But I look at a creature like the one above and wonder how many steaks can be cut from it.

can you mix it with pork fat and make snake sausage?

They've put a bounty on lionfish and maybe the snakes too. I wish they'd do more about the alligators. No water is completely safe anymore, ten footer took my neighbor's dog year or so ago. They're low rider velociraptors and breed like cockroaches.
I've got an appointment with a medical marijuana doctor tomorrow. I'm gonna get a card and get legit. The dank THC vape cartridge's I love have virtually disappeared from the black market here, or at least from the supply chain where mine came from.
The modern cure-all: Won't actually fix anything, but you won't care!

I wonder how the young folks feel about weed as a geriatric drug.
This winter will help push the spread of the snakes south and well out of my region for the foreseeable future. It's been fecking cold this year.

Hope they get Scotty on the golf course, though gators are more prevalent, as they like golf balls as gizzards stones, and are a two stroke penalty if they eat your balls. Pythons rarely are attracted to golf balls, and only a one stroke penalty due to low aggression.
Gators have figured out how to survive freezing temperatures by going into a hybernation-like state, but leaving their snouts slightly above the frozen water line. It's likely they have made it as far North as Maryland, but the state doesn't want to acknowledge it as then they would be classified as a protected rare species.

Quote:
But I look at a creature like the one above and wonder how many steaks can be cut from it.

With 200-300 ribs, lots of ribeyes. We ate Caiman, little gators in the Amazon, but only the tails cut perpendicular to long axis. They looked like pork chops with white meat that tasted like, you guessed it, natives.

Quote:

can you mix it with pork fat and make snake sausage?

You would have to add lots of fat, they are very lean,like the natives, hot climate, no fat natives.

Quote:
They've put a bounty on lionfish and maybe the snakes too. I wish they'd do more about the alligators. No water is completely safe anymore, ten footer took my neighbor's dog year or so ago. They're low rider velociraptors and breed like cockroaches.

Our friends in Savannah told us the gators came up the drainage ditches and were taking small unwary dogs on dry land, and were working on protecting their kids from danger.
Once a gator develops a taste for French food, Fifi the poodle is an endangered species!
No offense to dog lovers!
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/28/21 07:07 PM
What in the world is a medical marijuana doctor? (I live on the west coast of the United states (Washington) and ALL states have legalized so I don't think we have any of those).

I guess Florida has no money problems so there is no reason for legalizing and getting all that tax money.
All we have here is medical cannabis, and the various companies who supply it certify doctors to prescribe it. My doctor is an ER physician who moonlights as a marijuana doctor. His fee is $199 for the certification, the state charges another $80 bucks and they have already emailed me a temporary card.

There were a couple of ballot initiatives this election cycle to get recreational cannabis onto the ballot but they failed to get enough signatures.
What in the world is a medical marijuana doctor? (I live on the west coast of the United states (Washington) and ALL states have legalized so I don't think we have any of those).

I guess Florida has no money problems so there is no reason for legalizing and getting all that tax money.

Current Federal Law says that Marijuana is an illegal substance and is listed on the Federal banned Schedule 1 list. Therefore, all transactions need to be cash only in states that allow it to be commerce because banks are federally regulated, they can't process credit card transitions for Marijuana purchases. The Biden Administration is looking to make marijuana legal. (Don't tell Chunky that ol' jJoe is being progressive. It might ruin Chunky's day. smile )
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/29/21 07:10 PM
Now I remember! We used to have that too! After legalization its all gone now. Oh, if they start a legalization thing make sure that you get to grow at least two plants a year! (or more) We don't have that in Washington but they can grow in Oregon
Even in states with medical or recreational weed, the grow laws are a crazy hodgepodge. Last I knew, in California you can grow 6 plants, but there's no limit to how large they can be. So some growers manage to grow marijuana trees!

If you have a medical need recommendation from a doc, you can grow up to 99 plants. You just have to claim you need that many. And of course, state narcs can arrest you if you sell it without a "weed farm license". But you can give it away an ounce at a time. Transporting more than an ounce is still illegal, unless you have that farmer license.

Medical users can register with the state, and get a handy little laminated card to show the cops. But you don't need to register, and doing so might generate some legal problems for you. Like prohibited occupations, owning guns, etc.
Just got a vaccine appointment for tomorrow! My niece on the east coast was looking for San Diego County appointments for her dad, and called him when she found some available. He called my wife and I got online right away. Lots of forms to fill in, chosen time was full so I had to go back and pick another, but I did get the confirmation.

They only open up appointment slots when they have vaccine in hand, and the slots fill up in a few minutes. So that was a stroke of luck. And the cool thing is it's the only drive-up vaccination site in San Diego County.
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/30/21 07:30 PM
I'm slated for my second shot on Feb 13. Hopefully they will have the vaccine to do the job. I'll know in 2 weeks. The entire vaccine thing is a genuine mess. Promises not kept, millions of shots ordered and, apparently, will be ready around the middle of summer but, then again, maybe not. The strange thing up here is that the Indians (feather) seem to be getting a lot of vaccine. They all got shot up and then offered a couple thousand shots to Sequim (small town by us) residents as well. (I am not upset about this just thought it was a bit strange). I have been told that Washington state has more Indian reservations than anyplace else in the nation. We have something like 15 reservations within 100 miles of here. As far as I know only one group got a pile of vaccinations to share with others. They (the Indians) also provide healthcare to those not Indians (Dentists, Mental Health, Healthcare Clinic, etc). The gratitude of the Sequim residents is to sue the Indians for building such things <sigh> Oh, the Qanon mayor of Sequim made the nation news yesterday as well. Interesting place, Sequim.

I had a friend who built a lot of houses in Sequim. He was finishing one off and turning on the electricity and the new owner was keeping an eye on things. After he turned on the electricity the new owner said; "Now I can get on with what I really want to do". My friend asked what that might be. The new owner said that he wanted to work to take down Grand Coulee Dam. My friend said to him; "That will be interesting, you do understand that is where we get our elector power?" The new owner said; "OH, I didn't know that - I guess I will have to find something else to do". Sequim is a retirement town and its filled with Ignorant, fairly rich, retirees (which, amongst other things, kinda explains the Qanon mayor).
Quote:
The Biden Administration is looking to make marijuana legal.

Got a link? As far as I know Uncle Joe is anti-marijuana to his very core, If congress should send it acros his desk he will most likely sign it, but his administration has made no statements I'm aware of that they intend to legalize at the federal level.

Joe Biden is most certainly NOT a progressive in any way shape or form. That doesn't mean there will not some small headway, he is a democrat after all and minimal headway is what they are all about.
I wonder of some White House strategist thinks all the Progressives will shut up about everything if they are stoned?

So I hear a bunch of MAGA vaccine paranoia folks disrupted the LA Dodger Stadium Vaccine Super Site today. They purposefully left their red hats at home, to appear like normal anti-vaxxers. Going up to cars in line with BS claims about nano-technology in the vaccines tracking people.

So I think people going to get vaccinated need to start bringing stun guns and hockey sticks, for self defense.
Looking like even Rumpole won’t defend His Assholiness. Seems none of the Barristry is willing to stake a reputation on the election fraud defense.
Quote:
The Biden Administration is looking to make marijuana legal.

Got a link?

Quote:
Although the Democratic former vice president has embraced decriminalizing cannabis possession, expunging past records and other modest moves, he has faced criticism over his record pushing punitive anti-drug legislation during his time in the Senate. And reform advocates have similarly taken him to task over his refusal to join the majority of U.S. voters and a supermajority of those in his own party in embracing broad adult-use marijuana legalization.

But the political dynamics that will define marijuana policy in 2021 go beyond the presidency. Despite the stated pro-reform positions of both Biden and his running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA)—who has her own questionable record on cannabis criminalization but became the sponsor of a comprehensive legalization bill in 2019—the fate of reform still rests largely on Congress.

- MJmoment.net

smile
Joe Biden is most certainly NOT a progressive in any way shape or form.

Ol' Joe got BAMZ!!!! to change his mind on gay marriage. smile
Looking like even Rumpole won’t defend His Assholiness. Seems none of the Barristry is willing to stake a reputation on the election fraud defense.

Yup, all five attorneys have quite Trump's 2nd Impeachment case. Mebbe he'll represent himself and perjure himself so he can be indicted for perjury.

smile
Here you go.

Donald Trump's entire legal team quits week before impeachment trial: Sources

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/donald-trumps-entire-legal-team-041610892.html

Not that it matters. From everything I've read and heard, 95 senators know exactly how'll they will vote, so presenting any evidence or debate centers around perhaps 5 senators. It makes no difference if the vote is 50-50 or 55-45, Trump is acquitted, found not guilty.

To save time, energy, etc. just call the trial to order and then have the vote. 1-5 senators with open minds who might weigh their decision on the evidence isn't worth having this thing drag out. 50-50, 55-45 or something in-between. Same results.
Originally Posted By: perotista
o save time, energy, etc. just call the trial to order and then have the vote. 1-5 senators with open minds who might weigh their decision on the evidence isn't worth having this thing drag out. 50-50, 55-45 or something in-between. Same results.

I think that presenting the evidence, ala Reality TV, will give a good deal more flavor and texture to the long game.

Most of the Republicans desperately want this to evaporate so as not to permeate their "party" with additional lasting stench. There appears to be a trend among them to say, "Yeah, he did bad things, but we don't want to be the ones to judge it. Make someone else do that."

I say they should be compelled do it, in the clear view of reality and evidence. That way their minority vote to not convict will mean something potentially useful for Americans and history down the road.
Originally Posted By: perotista
o save time, energy, etc. just call the trial to order and then have the vote. 1-5 senators with open minds who might weigh their decision on the evidence isn't worth having this thing drag out. 50-50, 55-45 or something in-between. Same results.

I think that presenting the evidence, ala Reality TV, will give a good deal more flavor and texture to the long game..

I agree, plus the damning evidence just may cause a few of the 95 to change their minds.

Then, go after all of the Senators and Representatives that fomented insurrection.

The DC AG has already started a grand jury. The insurrection is not going away as much as the GOP wants it to.

smile
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 01/31/21 07:54 PM
I suspect that the states themselves will de-criminalize before the feds actually move. It would be nice, however, if they could reduce the status of marijuana. How about allowing banks to deal with sellers and growers for starters. Then reduce the status of marijuana as I think, by now, all the stuff about addiction, teen-age dependency, etc. have been flat out proven wrong. Its even better than that. When de-criminalization has taken place teen age has actually gone down!

A story. In Finland, I think, they de-criminalized marijuana. They did this because they knew that when teenagers drink they drive and when they drive they hurt others. They also didn't believe that folks doing marijuana don't actually get in their cars and drive. What happened is that they removed the thrill of sneaking something illegal and the teenager use of marijuana actually went down! (there is some indication the same thing is happening where they legalized)

drugpolicy.org probably has a lot more info on this stuff.
I don't think much will change. Perhaps you're right as far as historians 20-30 years hence. Going after those representatives and senators who voted against impeachment and not to convict isn't going to work. Most of those Republican representatives and senators come from pro Trump states and districts. They can say they voted their constituents wishes, the way the folks back home wanted them to vote. Most Democrats represent blue districts and states, anti Trump, so they can say they did the same.

It's already in the works to primary out every representative who voted for impeachment. Probably 8 of the 10 will be. The blow back doesn't come from voting against impeachment, that was expected.

The political arena is for opinions, the legal arena for justice or for determine guilt or innocents. I know what may take place here in Georgia, now if the AG of the U.S. is also looking into it, so much the better. With politicians, self preservation always wins out.
Quote:
It's already in the works to primary out every representative who voted for impeachment. Probably 8 of the 10 will be. The blow back doesn't come from voting against impeachment, that was expected.

So two years hence, the republicans we now view as the most sensible of the lot will by primaried by the Marjorie Greens of the world, the forever Trumpers....

The folks who approve of the violence on Jan 6, the folks who believe that the only good democrat is a dead democrat and that Jewish space lasers started the California fires....

And they will win! And then Democrats will defeat them to hold the house and senate at the midterms. That's my call, the division within the republican party will work more to the democrats advantage than their own.

Remember that pharmacist that left the COVID-vax out and destroyed them because he thought they were now unsafe? Turns out he's a religous nutter who thinks the sky is a barrier between us and God and that's why we can't see God and he actually destroyed the vaccine on purpose. frown

Please prove me wrong that Rightwingerism is not a mental illness. laugh

The Black Lives Matter movement nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Life just gets better and better. There are a lot of bigoted and racist Righties gnashing their teeth right about now.

...and then you have the newest GOP Righty from GA Majorie Greene saying that "Jewish" sky lasers from outer space are starting Cali wild fires.

crazy
I'm convinced it's genetic. Like gender, we are divided evenly in half. And it's not completely binary...just like gender. As our ids are matriculating in the womb we become conservative or liberal just as we become male and female, just as our sexual preferences are innate, formed before we leave the womb, not taught and not subject to change.

Our competitive nature makes us automatically choose sides and it has made us the most dangerous species on the planet. It's not a bug, it's a feature. It's not mental illness any more than homosexuality is mental illness. They can't imagine being any other way and they think we're the crazy ones. As long as certain subjects are never breached, then we can get along fine, we don't need to agree to work together or to be friends.

But these QAnon folks...Jewish space lasers? Pedophile cannibals? These folks are genuinely broken. By a society that moves too fast. It's not the first time in our history that religious fantasies have superseded reality. They have fallen prey to the sinister ministers and have fallen under the cult like control of those who would profit from them.
About 4 hours post-Moderna vaccine, and I can't feel any side effects at all. My injection site feels a bit warm to the touch. But no pain at all, no headache, no fever, nothing. Got my booster shot scheduled. Yee Haw!

I went to a drive-in supersite, run by UCSD Medical Center in downtown San Diego. Lots of people in cars in line on the streets, but my brother-in-law told me he walked in and got served immediately. So that's what we did, too. Parked on the street for free, walked about two city blocks, and got to their pedestrian vaccine entrance. No waiting at all! I showed my appointment document and license, then got sent to the nurse for the injection. 15 minutes in the observation area, and off we went. We did talk with the observation attendant for a bit: She's a UCSD professor & MD doing research on pregnant women and vaccines.
Anal swabs are found to be more reliable than nasal swab in China for diagnosis of Covid. May be related to lower false positives, as hypochondriac may be less likely to visit the drive by anal swab sites!
Images of drive through lines are not yet available!
TAT
Back in March, when I went to the ER for a covid test, they told me: It can't be covid because you had diarrhea. Must be something else. But all brain swabs came back negative for covid, Flu A, and Flu B. So they thought I had a cold with 10 days of super squirts and pneumonia. Then my wife came down with it and mom died... Neither had GI problems but my wife had low SpO2.

An anal swab would have found it.

Evolutionary biologists Heather Heying and Bret Weinstein join Bill Maher January 29, 2021 to discuss the nature and possible origins of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus:

Scottish Parliament to vote this week on investigating how Trump acquired his two money-losing properties in Scotland.

smile
Quote:

So two years hence, the republicans we now view as the most sensible of the lot will by primaried by the Marjorie Greens of the world, the forever Trumpers....

The folks who approve of the violence on Jan 6, the folks who believe that the only good democrat is a dead democrat and that Jewish space lasers started the California fires....

And they will win! And then Democrats will defeat them to hold the house and senate at the midterms. That's my call, the division within the republican party will work more to the democrats advantage than their own.

As it stands now, I totally agree. As long as Biden and Democratic Controlled Congress doesn't make independents angry at them. We never know what the future holds. Best we can do is take a SWAG.
As long as the Jewish space laser crowd holds true to their beliefs independent swing voters will go with the democrats. You've mentioned on a lot of occasions the "comfort zone" of these voters...seems to me they'll be more comfortable with living wages and healthcare than they will with civil war.

But I could be wrong.
Right now, with the news being all about Trump and nothing else, I'd say you're right.
Vaccinated arm is a little sore today, just when I lift it up to horizontal and flex the muscle. Slept just fine. Injection hot spot and a little soreness tells me my immune system is responding well. Good news, since back in March my lymphocyte count was low enough to stop taking my MS immunosuppressive.
As long as the Jewish space laser crowd holds true to their beliefs independent swing voters will go with the democrats. You've mentioned on a lot of occasions the "comfort zone" of these voters...seems to me they'll be more comfortable with living wages and healthcare than they will with civil war.

But I could be wrong.
Israel’s space program Dang, can't even copy and paste a link anymore!Ex-Israeli space program head claims aliens exist and Trump is aware
Haim Eshed told an Israeli newspaper that the US government had struck an "agreement" with the extraterrestrials.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina...l#ixzz6lFxldH4e
If any such thing were true, old Blabby Mouth Trump would have used it to his advantage long ago.
If any such thing were true, old Blabby Mouth Trump would have used it to his advantage long ago.

Exactly. That incompetent orange clown gossips like a middle school girl. crazy
Ya gotta be kidding about flabby mouth. He would save this tidbit to sell on eBay after leaving the cash cow presidunce .
You can bet he has already made a deal, through kusiebaby to brand the new improved aliens, "they are the good non-Mexican, probably not black either, cause why would they need melanin? Many are saying that they are likely Greene!
Rump commented, off the record, "Trump-aliens2.0 like nobody has ever seen before, we're starting a competing Greene New Deal, like nobody has seen, starting in a short period of time...
That's YOOGE!!!
Today is Imbolc

Winter is half over.

"Also referred to as the Feast of Pan, Feast of Torches, Feast of Waxing Lights and Oimele. Celebrates the coming of spring and recovery of the Earth Goddess after giving birth to the Sun God at Yule. For many traditions, a time for initiations, re-dedication and pledges for the coming year. One of the four "greater Sabbats."

Description provided by University of Missouri Office of Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
But does the Sun Goddess see her shadow?
Inquiring minds want to understand the complex relationship between pagan rituals and Groundhog Day! Sounds like a conspiracy to me!

Bla bla bla! This makes more spiritual sense, though understanding is harder!
Arm feels better today. Still a little warm right at the injection site, and still just a bit sore when I lift it. Otherwise I don't even notice it.
Got my second shot today. Expecting a sore arm tomorrow.
My wife an I are getting our first shots on Valentine's day, better presents than flowers and candy! I would have preferred Groundhog's day, but now every day is pretty much Groundhog's day, except for special occasions, like this Thursday, that breaks the tedious routine by being trash/recycling day! It's a double batch since we didn't even generate enough to make a trip to the curb meaningful last week.
Got a foot or so of snow, but that's no biggie here.
I have to look up the Golden Snowball contest standings, a contest every year between Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse to see who got the most snow. Buffalo beat us last year, but we kept through trophy here a d they are pissed! Take that Buffalo! Probably just another Covid related tragedy!
Stay bored!
TAT
I'm kind of curious: Do you still have to shovel snow in front of your house, if nobody is allowed to go out?
As a Southern California guy, my year in Indiana included some interesting local experiences like shoveling and salting the sidewalk, and hiding in the basement when tornados came through town.

I remember when my wife's college roommate (Case Western Reserve) came out to San Diego and went to look at a house somebody was thinking to rent. She looked up the steep driveway and asked: "How would you ever get up that during the winter?" We all had a good laugh. She never moved back to Toledo.
No now shovel these days. Although as a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Leonard Wood, yes had one there. Also when I worked at LBAD, Lexington Bluegrass Army Depot. Ice is the big problem here, not so much the snow. although everything closes when either one occurs.
This is one of the best:

I Hear America Singing: Gibson & Silverstein
I was sergeant major in the ROTC precision drill team and the counterinsurgency force, who's mission was to harras the upperclassmen in training exercises! Only a clerical error, related to dropping a failing 5 credit calculus course, due to the distractions of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, saved me from touring Vietnam!
It's not an object lesson you tell the kids as they are heading off to college. They will figure it out for themselves anyway!
BTW, we took first prize in the multi-state competition, and I remember nothing after that!
Nobody in the suburbs have sidewalks, that's why we pay more taxes than in the city. We are 400 ft outside of the city, and great public schools, that I am proud to pay, as many paid to educate my kids. It's called being in the community to foster the next generation, even if you have to pay more than moving out of the expensive school district.
And, I would have to clean out the basement to leave, if alive! Wife claims that plan A is to die first and leave clean out to her and kids. She knows me pretty well after 49 years. Better put that 50th anniversary on my calendar, but she won't kill me if the basement is a problem. You see my conflicted re cleaning!

Uh...oh spaghetti-ohs!!! Kyle is missing.

Be on the lookout for an 18 year old nutter with an AR-15 and a penchant for killing Liberals. Hmm
No problemo, he's probably in Mexico with that Jan 6 Perp that asked the judge for permission to go to Mexico for a "four day" bail exemption Holliday!
Her plan is probably to burn the place down as she departs for Florida after you go. That way nobody gets stuck cleaning all your junk out.
She Hates Florida, and all her women support groups are here, and she loves snow as she grew up in Wisconsin. She threatened to have junk king visit while I was out of town and haul away everything!
When I recently took up welding, I practiced in the basement by welding all steel machines together, after carefully considering their locations. Junkking will need a cutting torch!

Mission accomplicated, message sent by new Latitude with Windows 10!
Even a caveman could do it!
TAT
Oh, I never thought of welding all your stuff together. I have thought of gluing some items to the floor, or putting a deck screw into a door latch she keeps opening that I keep closing. My wife loves to reorganize and move everything to new locations, so I can never find anything. I tend to make up useful tool kits. Then she puts all the Phillip's head screwdrivers in one obscure drawer, and all the straight screwdrivers in another.

I've never been able to convince her that one drawer with 25 Phillip's head screw drivers in it is not very user friendly.
Grrr!! You describe classic spousal tool hostility, usually precipitated by typical male tool organization strateregy, ie leaving tools where you are sure you will next use them, a perfectly logical system.
nobody knows the joy of finding a lost tool, only by being in the situation needing that tool and finding it right where you need it!
A classic example explains why you need duplicates of frequently needed tools, clearly enabled by having a Harbor Freight near by. I have a bucked of hammers, to remind me of past co-workers, of various types, woodwork, auto body work, small sledges, geology picks, etc.
In the late fall when cleaning out the gutters of leaves, I also check the function and layout of my ice melting wire, that just cut troughs through snow to allow melting snow to run off instead of forming an ice damn and funneling icewater into the house. There is a special place in hell for builder who put flat roof expansions in snow belt homes! tripple cat grrr!
Anyway, guess where I found a standard hammer? It was right where I needed it on the roof where i left it, knowing that the next time i needed it for wire securing, I would forget to bring one to the roof with me.

There is a very handy catalog" Hard to find tools" that has all kinds of specialized unusual tools, I clearly dont need it as all my tools meet that criteria. The worst offenders were tape measures though I have more than 8 but fewer than 12, but I could never find them when I needed them, that led to more cut and fit approximations.
One day when looking for an obscure kitchen tool, I found it in the obscure kitchen tool drawer where all tape measures go to die, or at least rest for a few month. Every time my wife found a tape measure, usually in the middle of a inside task, she dutifully placed it in the pile of measures, acting out her hostility to tool messes, and demonstrating who rules!
Clearly a very successful series of coups, bloodlessly and quietly removing many generations of rulers!

TAT
Hi Greger,
Thanks, Bang-Bang,
for the uplifting musical interlewd!
When I first heard this song I was sure it was related to the supposed ritual carried out after a popes death. Calling out their name thrice and then tapping him on the forehead, asking are you dead? with a little silver hammer that was also used to deface the papal seals to prevent lamepope proclamations, pardons etc. The Vatican maintains this is a myth, like most of Catholic beliefs, my favorite was indulgences!

TAT

Quote:

In the wake of the death of Pope John Paul II on 2 April 2005, news outlets and other sources have issued a variety of contradictory statements about the use of a silver hammer in connection with a pope’s death: it’s an old, discontinued practice, or it remains a current practice; the use of the hammer once served a functional purpose, or its use is (and always has been) purely symbolic. In light of these competing claims, we await a pronouncement from an identifiable (i.e., non-anonymous) Vatican official on the subject before declaring this one either ‘True’ or ‘False.’

One final note for those who are pondering the coincidence: the Beatles song “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” has no connection to papal traditions involving a silver hammer. As Steve Turner noted in A Hard Day’s Write, his volume on the origins of Beatles songs:

“John told me that ‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer’ was about the law of karma,” says former Apple employee Tony King. “We were talking one day about ‘Instant Karma’ because something happened where he’d been clobbered and he’d said that this was an example of instant karma. I asked him whether he believed in that theory. He said that he did and that ‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer’ was the first song that they’d made about that. He said that the idea behind the song was that the minute you do something that’s not right, Maxwell’s silver hammer will come down on your head.”

Paul said at the time that the song “epitomizes the downfalls of life. Just when everything is going smoothly, ‘bang, bang’ down comes Maxwell’s silver hammer and ruins everything.”
The sound of Maxwell's hammer playing, brought up this parody song, that all who had to deal with Maxwells equations in Physics classes, so long ago. It still give me a PTSD reaction!

Quote:
Maxwell's Equations (of which there are four) deal with the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. If you study certain college curricula, you might have to learn them. Tesla is a unit of magnetic field strength (if I remember correctly) named after the scientist Nicola Tesla, not to be confused with the band of that name.

Maxwell's Equations

I was quizzical, studied quantum physical
Science at my school
Late nights all alone with my physics boo-oo-oo-ook
As I study here, to become an engineer
Friends call on the phone
Want me to come out, but I tell them no-oh-oh-oh
And as I say goodbye to my friends
I know what I must do

Bang, bang, Maxwell's four equations
I shove into my head
My social life is dead

Back in class again hoping just to pass again
We all take our seats
Listening to what the professor say-eh-eh-ehs
Look it says right here "stick a Tesla in your ear"
Writing on the desk
Time to take a test to see what I know-oh-oh-oh
And as I sit here ready to start
I hope I've learned enough

I pull out of my head
I'm hanging by a thread

B-field density magnetic propensity
Maxwell stands with Gauss
Faraday the law of induction, oh-oh-oh-oh
Then there's Ampere's law, now my nerves are getting raw
All these I must learn (These things you must learn)
A good grade I must earn for my mind to grow-oh-oh-oh
And if I ever figure them out
It will not be too soon

I know inside my head
I'll keep them 'til I'm dead
(repeat)

The line about "stick a Tesla in your ear" is literally true. It was graphiti written on a desk in the room where I took a college physics course.
Unsure what heading this should go under??

Humor, not really, horror flick not a flick, media no way.
Wasn't there a topic on insanity or unsettling or abusive sexual imagery. Maybe a new topic like: Goodman looks like a dick, or is it just me?
Click to reveal..
It sucks you in to a slot fetish
He must be broke!
I stopped around Ohm's law and the mystical sign of two fingers and thumb that describe current and magnetic field direction. This is one reason I got a biology degree in college: No Maxwell equations, no quantum mechanics, and no foreign language requirements.

I did manage an A in Calculus 1. That was fun.
I stopped around Ohm's law and the mystical sign of two fingers and thumb that describe current and magnetic field direction. This is one reason I got a biology degree in college: No Maxwell equations, no quantum mechanics, and no foreign language requirements.

I did manage an A in Calculus 1. That was fun.

Boy did you miss out on some torture! If I knew i would have to take 3 semesters of Calculus, Linear algebra, regular differential equation, and the prerequisite partial differential equations for a Chem Major I would have had second thoughts. But I fooled them as they didnt check to see if I took the partials course!
It was very challenging to self teach the partial differential along with the Quantum Mechanics, based completely on partials!
Fortunately Cambodia happened and all grades were pass fail, and was still touch and go! I think they took mercy and gave me a gentleman's P!
I have remained uncertain about most things ever since!
I did catch myself trying to use my left hand on the right hand rule problem while taking the MCAT exam, because the number 2 pencil was in the right hand.
...In the late fall when cleaning out the gutters of leaves...

You're welcome. smile
...Anyway, guess where I found a standard hammer? It was right where I needed it on the roof where i left it, knowing that the next time i needed it for wire securing...

You can also leave the ladder always up too...that way you don't have to drag it out to put the Christmas lights up and then take them down a few weeks later.

idea
That's exactly why I have several ladders!
You ever forget where you left the ladder?
Only when I encounter it accidentally at night!
Quote:
I have remained uncertain about most things ever since!

See, that's exactly what I was trying to avoid. This is why I always put a dead cat in the box. That way I know for sure. That would have made life a lot simpler for Schrodinger. No imaginary numbers for me!
Are you sure?
Well, I've never seen the cat come back to life. That's not absolute evidence, but it's better than p < 0.05.

I figure God could resurrect the cat just once, if he cared to make me believe. This reminds me of the Catholic Priest and the Evangelical preacher who were discussing what they do with their collection plates. The Priest says:

"10% of the money goes to our mission to feed the homeless".

The Evangelical says:

"I let God decide. I throw all the money up in the air, and ask God to take what he wants."
The cat came back!
Physics sometimes works in mysterious ways.

Aint that the truth, adding to increasing uncertainty!
TAT
A Rebel Physicist has elegant solution to Alternate Quantum Mystery

Quote:
But in Dragan’s main job as a physicist at the University of Warsaw in Poland, railing against conformity is not always appreciated. Particularly when those ideas might rock the two pillars that form our fundamental understanding of the world: general relativity and quantum mechanics.

These theories are the crowning achievements of modern physics, describing nature exquisitely, but separately. General relativity handles the big familiar objects and events of the universe, while quantum mechanics covers the invisible and strange micro-world that surrounds us, where subatomic particles can tunnel through barriers they have no business getting past, or where two particles thousands of light-years apart can instantaneously respond to each other's motions.

Most of the time, this setup works well. If you’re looking at how a massive star’s gravity bends light, you whip out your general relativity textbook. And if you want to understand how electrons move through a computer chip, you’ll need your trusty quantum physics hardback by your side. But there are times when a bit of both is called for. Trying to understand what happened in the very first moments of the Big Bang or what goes on in the heart of black holes, for instance.

In these situations, a glaring problem comes into focus: general relativity and quantum mechanics appear to be completely incompatible. The smooth, continuous universe general relativity describes conflicts with the discrete, chunky one of quantum physics. When you bring their equations together you get nonsense.
Nonsense!!
Please show your work when you mathematically disprove this theorem! grin
Whoa, Kool Kat... I was wholeheartedly agreeing!

Hooray for nonsense!!
I was uncertain and left in doubt grin
Nonsense sometimes works in mysterious ways...
Nonsense sometimes works in mysterious ways...

Nonsense ALWAYS works in mysterious ways, the one thing about which I remain CERTAIN!
Nonsense Roolz!!!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/07/21 05:18 PM
Nonsense is so much easier than sense (no pesky rules to adhere to) and therefore, following Okkam’s Butter Knife, more likely true.
No Roolz Roolz!
I get the impression that reality is a lot easier to grasp when you get over the silly prejudice we have about time only running forward. We are three dimensional beings who can only perceive time running in one direction, but that does not mean there are not more dimensions of space and time.
We are three dimensional beings who can only perceive time running in one direction, but that does not mean there are not more dimensions of space and time.

This is a little more how I remembered it, but timespace wasnt the only thing altered!
My favorite was a Blue Oyster Cult concert with friends, all chemically altered. Plus Mardi Gras!
There were so many favorites in various categories that its hard to pick a favorite, but easy to pick the most bizarre!
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, bizarre enough already, but they opened with "my Boyfriend's Back" wearing pink tutus! Bringing up the consideration of excessive alteration crazy

The favorite concert I almost saw was standing in line for Otis Redding in Madison Wi. when they came out and announced he had crashed into the lake and died.

Second most favorite missed concert was the Who, when I was at a transplant workshop in Las Vegas, and fortuitously the Who were performing their first show of the 2002 USA tour. Unfortunately, Entwistle, 57, had too much fun the night before with a groupie stripper and cocaine, and woke up dead! It Gave me more time to study histocompatibility, OH BOY!

Not as much fun as Iron Butterfly in Central Park that was easy to find by auditory guidance!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/09/21 02:49 AM
Lots of good ones too..Top 5

1) Pink Floyd1975 Seattle
2) Led Zeppelin 1975 Seattle
3) Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Nils Lofgren 1983? Drammen, Norway
4) Bob Dylan 1990? Kalvřya, Norway
5) Beck 2012? Bend, Oregon
Schaefer Music Festival

I was lucky to be spending my summers working and living within walking/staggering/meandering distance of Central Park from 1968-71. Too bad there wasnt much happening in music back then!
It was a bit harder to get up for work some weeks. The fee for bandstand seats was a buck, but the lawn was just fine, and didnt have to waste any energy staying upright!
1969 was typical
I went to a lot of concerts, I don't really remember any of them....
Must not have been to one of those six hour Grateful Dead concerts that were long enough to sober anyone up, unless of course, refreshments were served!
I graduated from High School in 68, and spent the next 10 years frequently exercising novel metabolic pathways clearing unusual chemicals from my nervous system. Sometimes those involved concerts. Sometimes more natural settings, like a high perch above a desert canyon, a 10,000 foot high Sierra lake, or a hot spring full of naked hippies on the Pacific Crest Trail: Good clean fun!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/09/21 11:41 PM
One day, a friend and I spent about 4 hours lying on our bellies and staring off the edge of a 70 ft. waterfall transfixed by a huge log (at least 30 ft. long) spinning on its axis in the pool below.

It wasn’t until the sun went behind a mountain and the air got cold that we broke out of our (chemically induced? Nah couldn’t be. It was just a mg or two!) trance and said simultaneously “I’m hungry.”
Nah couldn’t be. It was just a mg or two!

A gram is better than a Damn, Discovery of LSD effect crazy

Albert Hofmann first discovered the effects of LSD accidentally in his lab, but followed up with a planned and carefully considered minimal dose of 250 micrograms, 0.25mg, to confirm that his first trip was due to accidental ingestion.

Quote:
The nature and the course of this extraordinary disturbance raised my suspicions that some exogenic intoxication may have been involved and that the Iysergic acid diethylamide with which I had been working that afternoon could have been responsible... However, I could not imagine how this compound could have accidentally found its way into my body in a sufficient quantity to produce such phenomena. Moreover, the nature of the symptoms did not tally with those previously associated with ergot poisoning. In order to get to the root of the matter, I decided to conduct some experiments on myself with the substance in question. I started with the lowest dose that might be expected to have any effect, i.e., 0.25 mg LSD. The notes in my laboratory journal read as follows:

April 19, 1943: Preparation of an 0.5% aqueous solution of d-lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate.
4:20 P.M.: 0.5 cc (0.25 mg LSD) ingested orally. The solution is tasteless.
4:50 P.M.: no trace of any effect.
5:00 P.M.: slight dizziness, unrest, difficulty in concentration, visual disturbances, marked desire to laugh...

At this point the laboratory notes are discontinued: The last words were written only with great difficulty.

Quote:
This was the first planned experiment with LSD and a rather dramatic one. Subsequent experiments on volunteer colleagues of the Sandoz research laboratories confirmed the extraordinary activity of LSD on the human psyche. These showed that the effective oral dose of LSD in human beings is 0.03 mg to 0.05 mg. In spite of my caution, I had chosen for my first experiment five times the average effective dose. LSD is by far the most active and most specific hallucinogen. It is about 5,000 to 10,000 times more active than mescaline, which produces qualitatively nearly the same symptoms.

So a mg or 2 is 20-40 typical doses!

A gram is better than a Damn, applies to Soma of Huxley in Brave New World, but he took LSD on his deathbed to good effect. One might have expected a bit of a bum trip in that circumstance!

A gram is better than a Damn, Discovery of LSD effect crazy
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/10/21 01:36 AM
laugh
Don’t know how to insert a mu using an iPhone keyboard and am way to lazy to find out how, much less look up the Latin alphabet notation equivalent.
laugh
Why do you think I spelled it out? ROTFMOL

mu
Sad story about a man in Idaho who heard a commotion and went out in his back yard with a handgun "to protect his family" I suppose. Police were searching for an armed and dangerous man who ditched his car and was moving through back yards. They spotted the man (not the suspect who was wearing similar clothing), ordered him to drop his weapon, and then shot him dead. They found the real suspect a few yards over hiding in a shed.

Like I've always said, owning a gun will get you killed if you encounter any police. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is the police killing a good guy with a gun.
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/10/21 03:34 PM
Sad and, sadly, predictable.
Nikki Haley (who is not up for re-election to anything) has apparently decided that the Trump Road is the lesser choice in traveling to future political office. Interesting...
The Trump Road was a dead end from the start. But nothing could make me happier than watching those speeding down it crash and burn. Once they've taken the turn onto it there is no going back though...as Ms. Haley will find out when she seeks to further her career.

TrumpTARDz scared and nervous the Senate voted to call witnesses. cool
TrumpTARDz scared and nervous the Senate voted to call witnesses. cool

Never mind, the spine that we thought The Dems grew was not real. coffee

The $1M dollar question of what does Trump's base (mostly white folks with high school diplomas) have in common with Donald Trump in large enough numbers that they would make up his base?

The answer may be this - after studying the 200 people arrested so far in the January 6th insurrections, nearly 60% of the people facing charges related to the Capitol riot showed signs of prior money troubles, including bankruptcies, notices of eviction or foreclosure, bad debts, or unpaid taxes over the past two decades. These people seem to have a lot in common with Trump: Bankruptcies, being sued for money owed and stiffing creditors.

Hmm

The $1M dollar question of what does Trump's base (mostly white folks with high school diplomas) have in common with Donald Trump in large enough numbers that they would make up his base?

What loser doesn’t want to win while losing? King Kon is a master of winning with fewer votes, coming out of bankruptcies with a bag of money, and enjoying adulation for being a complete a$$hole. He is a shining Star!

I'm snowed-in at the moment here in the south Sound. I'm sure NW_Ponderer is in the same boat as we only live 15 miles apart. Piccy taken out of my kitchen window.

What loser doesn’t want to win while losing? King Kon is a master of winning with fewer votes, coming out of bankruptcies with a bag of money, and enjoying adulation for being a complete a$$hole. He is a shining Star!

My hope for Donald Trump is for him to spend the rest of his days in court, spending money on lawyers to defend him. smile
Don't leave out those downwardly mobile white males that couldn't even manage a high school diploma, who feel victimized as they are not doing as well as their parents did without education or training!

I'm snowed-in at the moment here in the south Sound. I'm sure NW_Ponderer is in the same boat as we only live 15 miles apart. Piccy taken out of my kitchen window.

It looks like you caught my drift, if ya know what I mean!

ERRATUM:
Quote:
if you catch my meaning!"
"If ya get my drift!"

TAT
I apologize for misquoting Firesign Theater! Forgive me!

It should have been:
Quote:
"Well that's OK cause I'm not Joe."
"and He's not Ed"(pointing at Joe)
"Hey fella, how about bending a couple in the dooda room, if you catch my meaning!"
"If ya get my drift!"
I may have misquoted the spelling of the Dooda room, as it is more likely Doo-Dah room. In my defense, there may not be actual notarized transcripts of all Firesign Theater purformances!
Quote:
Who Am Us Anyway?
What do the following lines have in common?

"Why he's no fun, he fell right over."
"But it's really great s***, Mrs. Kresge."
"The department of redundancy department."
"Let's bend a couple in the Doo-Dah Room."
"You must mean the Old Same Place."
"What's all this brou-ha-ha?"
"May I take your hat and goat?"
"I don't care about your private life or what his name is."
"What's the bird's-eye low-down on this caper? Whatever that means."
"I ought to beat your brain out!"
"Rocky Rococo at your cervix."

we could start a thread for all those ex-stoners out there, who used to mainly communicate using Firesign phrases, if ya get my drift...
I may have misquoted the spelling of the Dooda room, as it is more likely Doo-Dah room. In my defense, there may not be actual notarized transcripts of all Firesign Theater purformances!
Quote:
Who Am Us Anyway?
What do the following lines have in common?

"Why he's no fun, he fell right over."
"But it's really great s***, Mrs. Kresge."
"The department of redundancy department."
"Let's bend a couple in the Doo-Dah Room."
"You must mean the Old Same Place."
"What's all this brou-ha-ha?"
"May I take your hat and goat?"
"I don't care about your private life or what his name is."
"What's the bird's-eye low-down on this caper? Whatever that means."
"I ought to beat your brain out!"
"Rocky Rococo at your cervix."

we could start a thread for all those ex-stoners out there, who used to mainly communicate using Firesign phrases, if ya get my drift...

But everyone called her "Nancy".
My favorite routine was the encounters between "civilization" and the Native Americans.

Quote:
CONQUISTADOR: Welcome to New Spain! This is your new Father - Father Corona.
FATHER CORONA: Pax vneuti nicutm! down on your knees, now! D'ye recognize what I'm holidn' over your head, lads?
INDIAN: It's a Cross. The Symbol of the Quartering of the Universe into Active and Passive Principles.
FATHER CORONA: God have mercy on their heathen souls!
CONQUISTADOR: What the Father means is - what is the Cross made of? Gold! Have you got any?
INDIAN: No.
CONQUISTADOR: What about the Seven Cities of Gold? Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas?
SECOND INDIAN: This is Gold.
CONQUISTADOR: What's that?
INDIAN: Corn.
SPANISH SOLDIER: Corn! Now we can make tortillas!
ANOTHER SPANISH SOLDIER: We been waiting for this for hundreds of years!
THIRD SPANISH SOLDIER: I just invented tacos!

Quote:
Speaking for the great white father in Washington and all the American people, let me say we respect you savages for your native ability to instantly adapt and survive in whatever Godforsaken wilderness we move you to. Out there. Sign here.
Heavens to Betty Jo Bialosky, there is a transcript!
Holy serpent mound

One of my favorites still comes up when needed, here in large font! So clever, perfect timing, and right purty too!

WAGON BOSS: We get better reception that way! Do you mind if I put this antenna up on yonder peak?
INDIAN: That's our Sacred Mountain.
WAGON BOSS: This is our Sacred Antenna! It's shaped like a cross! Made out of aluminum. Er-got any aluminum?
INDIAN: We've still got some corn left.
PIONEER: Hey! Corn! Now we can make whisky!
ANOTHER PIONEER: We've been waitin' hundreds o' years for this!
THIRD PIONEER: Say! I just invented a Tom Collins!
WAGON BOSS: Here, Indian! Ya want some firewater?
INDIAN: No. We were warned by our Elders not to drink anything that would make us weak or silly.
WAGON BOSS: (laughs) Put in their well!
INDIAN: That's not a well. It's the Eye of the Holy Serpent Mound, on which your standing.
WAGON BOSS: It's a beaut'!
INDIAN: No, it's a mound.
WAGON BOSS: And right purty, too!
er- can ya' move it?
...It looks like you caught my drift, if ya know what I mean!

Unpossible! Your drift would have to move east to west. Difts only move west to east.

You'll be getting my drift in about two days. smile
We laugh and mock at snow here!
And, we know how to move it!

Quote:
The Current Top 25 Snowiest Cities in
the United States for the 2020-2021 Snow Season Updated 2/14/2021
Standings on2/14-2/5
US States and Cities
2020 – 2021
Snowfall Totals

Average Snow To Date
Worcester, Mass
Buffalo, New York
Erie, Pennsylvania
Syracuse, New York
89.8 We're #1

Last Seasons Champs
Rochester, New York

Golly, my city didn't even make the top 25. gobsmacked
Posted By: BC Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/15/21 04:13 PM
Keweenaw County (Houghton, Hancock, Calumet) Michigan Snowfall...159.5 inches so far this season and that's about 75 inches less than last year on this date.

http://www.keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall-full.php
Originally Posted By: BC
Keweenaw County (Houghton, Hancock, Calumet) Michigan Snowfall...159.5 inches so far this season and that's about 75 inches less than last year on this date.

That's a lot of cars parked on the street just disappearing. crazy

On my street, only half a car tire disappeared. You could still see the top-half of the tire. laugh
We'll be in the 80s this week, but expect some rain and then temps will plunge into the 60s...

Based on the amount of snow on my hood and top of car, I figure we got 6" of snow Friday night, into Saturday.

Rocksus has been completely invigorated by the snow. He loves it. This piccy is from Friday night when it just started snowing. smile

We'll be in the 80s this week, but expect some rain and then temps will plunge into the 60s...

80's in February...p'shaw. cry Reminds me of growing-up in El Lay and having an 80-degree Christmas - it just ain't right. Hmm

Have you guys heard this song yet? It's from the Apple+ movie Palmer. The song is really blowing-up. I expect it to earn a Grammy next year. smile

Good to see you posting BC. smile
Posted By: BC Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/15/21 05:01 PM
Thanks Rick.

Still remember visiting my HS counselor about college choices back in Spring 1971. I was interested in engineering. He recommended Michigan Tech in Houghton MI, but started by asking me if I liked snow. Well, duh...Michiganders like...or tolerate a fair amount of snow, so I said yes. He said “good, cuz they had ~320 inches of snow this winter and most of it’s still on the ground.“ The Navy intercepted my trip there, but ended up in the Soo after the Navy...where they get a meager 150-180+ inches a winter. And yes, cars disappear frequently.

I've only been living in the Pacific Northwest for 6 years now. Lived in Portland for 22 months. Southern Puget Sound the rest of the time.

It only snows like one, two days a year. 2020 there was no snow at all. Then again 2020 was a crappy year for everybody. I really like when it snows.

Anyway, this past weekend is the most snow I have ever experienced. It's been fun - 'cept for that one moment on Friday night I slipped like a cartoon character and landed on my back because there was an orange diamond-shaped road sign lying flat on the ground that was covered in snow and I forgot that it was there and slipped. The sign is a remnant from when the new building across the street was being constructed. The construction people just left the sign behind and it's been lying flat on the ground ever since. Hmm
Four gentle seasons, that's the stuff for me! Getting a little snow for a few days now, got down to 14 last night, which was a good reason to light a fire in the Rumford. Juniper smells wonderful in a fire. For Valentine's Day I installed a soapstone hearth, finally completing the project - great timing!

Never broke 100 last summer, mostly because July through September is monsoon season, and we often get beautiful thunderstorms in the afternoon. Spring and Fall are endless days of tee-shirt temps.

(Not bragging or nuttin'...)

Hi Bob,
If you actually live in Keweenaw, let me welcome you as a native Badger to Wisconsin! Thats not just Upper, it's Upper Upper Upper Michigan/Wisconsin!
Bucky Badger welcomes you to Wisconsin
Art the TAT

Quote:
Why Isn't The UP Part Of Wisconsin?
A Fight Over 500 Square Miles Could Have Handed The Upper Peninsula To Wisconsin. Does That Matter?
By Laura Pavin
Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 4:00pm

Michiganders likely weren’t too happy when the Wisconsin Badgers beat several of its football teams last year; its Upper Peninsula, however, took it in stride — at least it’s unofficial Twitter account did.

"It’s official, I belong to Wisconsin now," the Tweet read, after rattling off the scores. The account even changed its name to the "Upper Peninsula of Wisconsin."

Intriguing, and perhaps the tip of an iceberg of discontent between the UP and its mitten counterpart. The Twitter account has since changed its description a number of times, from the "Upper Peninsula of &#129335;&#8205;&#9792;&#65039;" to the "Upper Peninsula of America."

What’s the deal? Geographically, the UP is only connected to the Lower Peninsula by a bridge. With Wisconsin, it shares more than 200 miles of border.

Hi Bob,
If you actually live in Keweenaw, let me welcome you as a native Badger to Wisconsin! Thats not just Upper, it's Upper Upper Upper Michigan/Wisconsin!
Bucky Badger welcomes you to Wisconsin
Art the TAT

Quote:
Why Isn't The UP Part Of Wisconsin?
A Fight Over 500 Square Miles Could Have Handed The Upper Peninsula To Wisconsin. Does That Matter?
By Laura Pavin
Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 4:00pm

I read that article. I did not know any of that happened until today. smile

...from the article:

Quote:
Linguistics experts say accents from the two localities share key features, like the long "o." People from the areas also tend to say "dem," "dere" and "dose" instead of "them," "there" and "those." And some Yoopers and Wisconsinites deploy something called Canadian raising in their speech. That means saying words like "about" and "out" like "uh-BOOT" and "OOT."

It also turns out the accents found in the UP and Wisconsin are more similar than those found in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.

Given the linguistics and the 200 miles of land border with Wisconsin, I vote for the UP to be part of Wisconsin as well. laugh
Posted By: BC Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/15/21 08:02 PM
laugh.
It’s all Michigan. Spent my Yooper years primarily on the east side. Many many Yooper have wanted it to be its own state. It’s definitely its own state of mind.
Posted By: BC Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/15/21 08:06 PM
We (thankfully) gave up Toledo for the UP. ;-)
Posted By: BC Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/15/21 10:47 PM
You are correct about the Wisconsin feeling of the Western UP. Camp up there and you see more Wisconsin than MI plates. Camp by the Soo and at times you see more Canadian plates than Michigan plates...enough so that the sign to Brimley State Park has routinely been rebranded as Brimley Provincial Park.
My wife is a native of LaCrosse in very Western, Wisconsin, too darn close to Minnesota lutefisk eaters right across the mighty Mississip, and their accents call umbrellas, UUMMbrellas. Im from the much more cultured and radical Madison!

My SIL lives in Southern Wisconsin that suffers from the same kind of invasion from those troublesome southern states, particularly Illinois mostly from Chicago. They refer to them as FIBS, short for Fvcking Illinois Basturds! Is there a local term for Wisconsin invaders?
TAT
Milwaukee, myself. But I left before age 1. My wife and I both have family in Chicago. Her father did his residency at Cook County, then moved back to Hawaii to practice. My dad's whole family was born in Chicago, then he moved to LA to teach at USC.
I see North Korea is accused of trying to hack Pfizer servers to get vaccine information. Totally unnecessary, since they are getting a few million of AstraZeneca's doses. Not to mention AZ's non-profit approach is setting up manufacturing in multiple countries around the world: Basically in any country that could actually produce the vaccine.

I bet AZ would give them easy-to-follow instructions and starter cultures for free, if they just asked nicely. If they can ferment kimchee, I bet they could grow the needed adenovirus.
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/17/21 06:25 AM

I bet AZ would give them easy-to-follow instructions and starter cultures for free, if they just asked nicely. If they can ferment kimchee, I bet they could grow the needed adenovirus.

Where’s the fun in that?

Besides, when you have a spy organization you sort of feel duty bound to use it. Else why are you paying for it?
My wife is a native of LaCrosse in very Western, Wisconsin, ...

My youngest daughter and her husband live out there, in Dodge WI. Challenge anybody to find the town/village/small wide spot in the road/etc on the map, hint it is north of LaCrosse.

Anyway, sometime in my life, I must have pissed on the political gods. Both my daughters, they bleed blue, married Republicans... :doh: ROTFMOL
Hi Shurly,
I have been within 14.7 miles from Dodge many time as all of wife's relatives are buried in Gallesville, and her Grandparents lived in Gallesville forever, untill they moved to permanent location!
There is a lot of Blue out there, but maybe your daughters politics are less related to previous yellow offerings to the gods,it might be a new mutation! Does her mother have any recessive blue genes, from parents?
My wife's father offered her a car if she would go to UW Lacrosse in late 60s rather than go down to Sin City (Madison) where he went to school and remembered. She figured if he was offering a car to prevent it it must be worth a try, grin even if she had to rub "elbows" with pinko, commie, hippie, out of state aggiTATors! He got used to it, after my parents bribed us with a car to get married, instead of living together!
TAT
Never been their myself, but my auld Pa was from Lynn, WI.
Not much in Lynn but the Lynn Dairy. I have spent some time in Antigo, and it was damn cold. It was a good place to practice using firearms, not much important you could accidentally hit. Sign marksmanship is not accidental.
My grandpa worked at the dairy cannery, but he died in 1925.
Rush Lintball has stopped lying, by the only way rump will stop lying!
TAT
Unfortunately, he taught millions of Dittoheads to lie with abandon.
Damn shame that, eh?

Another mouthpiece silenced.
BIH, Rush.
If he burns in Hell, that should not contribute to atmospheric carbon dioxide, depending how much exchange there is with Dantes Bolgia 6 where hypocrites go.
Rush Lintball has stopped lying, by the only way rump will stop lying!
TAT

Limpballs stopped lying by dying? Oh... coffee
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/18/21 05:51 AM
If he burns in Hell, that should not contribute to atmospheric carbon dioxide, depending how much exchange there is with Dantes Bolgia 6 where hypocrites go.

Don’t you go to the Circle/Bolgia with the highest number for which you qualify? It seems to me that the esteemed journalist(?) would qualify for Bolgia 8 of the Eighth Ring (Counselors of Fraud), 9 (Sowers of Discord) and 10 (Falsifiers). Not to mention the Ninth Circle (Treachery)

Hey TexASS, how's that no regulation capitalism working out for you now?

coffee
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/18/21 06:09 AM
I’m sure Texas will push back on receiving emergency aid and assistance from the federal government. Being upstanding, self-reliant individualists, they would be embarrassed to the point of becoming physically ill if we tried to force a handout on them. The rest of the country should spare them and just seal the border until they’ve had a chance to figure it all out.

Even thoughts and prayers might be too much for their delicate sensibilities. So, we can skip those as well.
The 8th Circle in the 8th Bolga for sure for the Evil Counselor Rush:

Quote:
-In this canto, Dante uses the evil counselors tongues on fire as a metaphor to show how they trash-talked in their lives and "they sinned by glibness of tongue, so are the flames made into a fiery travesty of tongues"
My bad? How bad?
My clear error in assigning Rush a Dante level of a mere 6, was based on outdated Satanic Christian Religiosity Obscenity Tribunal Universalist Suckrelig SCROTUS mandates demanding maximum inhellations appropriate to the WORST offenses, that applied Christian values to account for lack of contrition, repentance, and the willful sinfullness and profitable hypocrazy, ie,:
If you're a hypocrite,
and you know it,
crap your soul!...

Review of offenses reassigned Rush to Level 8, without the usual amenities for those in the warm up batter box to level 9, including but not limited to whorederves! No little minions taking appetizer orders asking: For you sir, Judas Escargo tartar du jour, or bottomless (eat all you're Abel) Trojan Priamism foreskin crepes with Ptolomanea sauce.... But I digress, but have added 4.... as there seem to be period inflation lately!!
TAT the judgmental
Let me get this straight... are you saying, in sooooooooo many words, that he was a nasty sack of sh!t?
No, he replied unusually laconically, that Sack of Sh!t would be denigrated by comparison, as Sh!t is actually useful for compost!
TAT the terse
or would that be TATciturne, damn blew it again!
anyone watching mars landing, 5 min till atmosphere entry
Purrseverance has landed!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/18/21 09:15 PM
Another hoax from those pinheaded elites trying to divert our attention from the thousands of crimes committed by Biden every second he’s in the White House.
Its working purrfectly! Hard to believe government was involved! A great step for mankind and The SPACEFORCE!!!
It do take a magnum of purse sir veer aunts to be on Mars...

with Sharon of Venus
Sharon Cheralike
Not Stoneoh Boneoh
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/19/21 01:36 AM
What? Two three word story threads?

Too much!
Entirely too much...

In my opinion.
Just a crutch

For trolly minion
What? Two three word story threads?

Too much!

NO NOT THAT!!!
Cease fire on rump regime! Take it outside!
Why do people learn to hate Cruz so quickly?

It saves time!

Tat
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/19/21 04:42 AM
Ted Cruz Honestly Surprised so Many People Wanted Him Around

R.E. Cruz - the man no one can seem to get rid of.
Its working purrfectly! Hard to believe government was involved! A great step for mankind and The SPACEFORCE!!!

Obviously, the incompetent Trump Admin had nothing to do with it. coffee
Not Stoneoh Boneoh

Sharon Needles? gobsmacked
Why do people learn to hate Cruz so quickly?

Just because Raphael was voted most punchable face...doesn't mean that folks hate him. Hmm
Ted Cruz Honestly Surprised so Many People Wanted Him Around

R.E. Cruz - the man no one can seem to get rid of.

Raphael is like a bad case of Herpes - he's there for life - especially when you don't want him coming 'round no more. smile
Purrseverence and Rover living together!

Where in the world is Ted Cruz? Out of this world!
Nixon and the universal basic income
offtopic

That's politics!!

What could go worng with something titled the :

Famiiy
Assistance
Plan?

Fapping hadn't even been recognized by Christian Calvinists to be a threat at the time!
Joe Manchin reverses stance on abolishing filibuster
Quote:
Joe Manchin Reverses Stance On Abolishing Filibuster
After Son Diagnosed With Filibuster Disease
44 minutes ago

WASHINGTON—Overcome with guilt and grief, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) announced Monday that he was reversing his stance on abolishing the filibuster following his son’s recent diagnosis with filibuster disease. “After witnessing the debilitating effects of the filibuster firsthand, I now realize how terribly wrong I was to oppose abolishing it,” said Manchin, whose eyes filled with tears as he described the long nights he had spent in the past weeks watching his son standing and pontificating for hours on end. “I used to think the filibuster was necessary for a healthy Senate. Now, I see it leads to nothing but back pain, dehydration, and chronic tedium that can take a toll on everyone within earshot. I’m so, so sorry for everything I’ve said in the past, and I hope those still opposing filibuster reform wake up and realize that filibuster disease is something that can happen to anyone.” At press time, Manchin announced he had donated $1 million in his son’s name to researching Rule 22.

SCOTUS says that Fatboy Trump has to turn over his taxes. Fatboy then called the SCOTUS "Fascists" and vowed to "fight-on." Who's gonna tell Fatboy about "Fighting-on?" Fatboy seems cluesless as to how the court system works. coffee
That's actually true that he's going to "fight on". But in this case it's going to be in court when he's indicted.
Texas AG in Utah

Texas AG "visits" Utah during the freeze, closing in on becoming the most punch-able politician not in Texas when needed! To protect and serve, themselves!

TAT
Texas republicans are perfectly okay with their "leaders" bailing during hard times and even abandoning their dogs. Because if they could, they'd do exactly the same thing. But then...so would I.

No one would blame Marco Rubio if he fled Miami due to a hurricane.

They'd call him a fool if he stayed. Ted's job is not to lead Texans through hard times. They have state and local government for that.

Texans know why they elected him and presumably since he was re-elected they are satisfied with what he has done in Washington.
It does look bad, and now both Paxton and Cruz have to run with that on their records. But compare Trump's half a million dead to the much smaller death toll in Texas, and maybe it's not that big a deal. Inciting the insurrection was an actual crime with a sentence of prison time and exclusion from any elected office. And of course, neither was actually responsible for those poor frozen citizens. Neither has a job rescuing people in dire straights.

If the Governor, police, or EMTs fled the state, that would be much worse.

And when you think about who is ultimately responsible for the disaster that would just be any other winter storm in Northern states, it's the voters. They elected the Republicans who did what Republicans do. If you want elected officials to do responsible things, vote for Democrats. Simple as that.
Yep, It sure has worked purfectly for fire control and electrical distribution in California! Just saying!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/24/21 02:25 AM
Mind’s definitely a little foggy on this, but didn’t California deregulate the power companies back in the glory days of Republican rule in the 90s? Seem to remember that’s how Enron was able to scam them. And, being the good ol’ USA*, I don’t think there have been serious re-application of regulations to completely hinder PG&E from protecting capital returns over reliability and safety.

*Once we make a colossal blunder, we like to go through a very long period of recovery:
Step 1) Deny anything bad or untold happened (a good 30% never move beyond this step);
2) admit something bad happened, but no one could have prevented it;
3) Admit it was preventable, but at too high a cost;
4) Admit that it was both avoidable and the mitigation was affordable, but no one could have predicted it would actually occur;
5) Concede that some did predict the exact occurrence, but they are such loons, no one ever takes them seriously;
6) Aver the need to move on and avoid placing blame while doing nothing to protect against the next disaster;
7) Make a few minor adjustments at the margin and scream SOCIALISM if anyone should be stupid enough to propose a comprehensive, intelligent, sustainable and just solution.

**With my apologies to Sir Humphrey.
I cant argue with that list. The problem with power in California is that they cant keep the power lines powered, when the fire risk is high. They cannot afford to replace the lines underground or make them otherwise fire resistant. The resulting unreliable power grid, with brown outs etc, makes a viable electronic based industry UN-sustainable long term.

I dont see a way out of it so California will have to change, but I dont see how. Home fire insurance will be increasingly costly or unavailable as building and rebuilding in fire prone areas continue. They called it Paradise, very sad!
As someone who is actually a California electric utility ratepayer, I have to tell you it's nowhere near Texas Fiasco-style. Power companies have to get rate increases approved well in advance by the Public Utility Commission, so there are zero "1000%+ rate surprise increases" like they just had in Texas.

They do have to shut down some transmission lines in very windy places, when there are high winds. But they will not shut down power to high fire risk areas, like my property. We do have blackouts, like everywhere on Earth, when some idiot cuts an underground power line, crashes a plane into high voltage transmission lines, etc. Or on a more local scale, runs their car into a utility pole.

Most places actually have more than one set of lines coming from different directions. That's why it's called a grid! We can also import power from the entire Western grid, if we need to. And a large number of us have backyard or rooftop solar, so we feed power into the grid when the sun shines. I just looked up my inverter management webpage and I produced 30.35 KWHours yesterday. That's a lot more than I use. SDG&E currently owes me about $98, and that's coming out of winter!
why not bury power lines?

Quote:
Why not bury California's fire-prone power lines underground? The reason is sky high
Janet Wilson
Palm Springs Desert Sun

Why can't California's fire-prone power lines be buried underground, out of harm's way?

That was the question many Californians were asking this week as hundreds of thousands of customers lost power in the Sacramento and San Francisco areas in preemptive shutoffs by Pacific Gas & Electric. Further south, another 200,000 customers of other utilities faced warnings that they too could lose power due to high winds.

Experts say the answer is simple: money.

"It's very, very expensive," said Severin Borenstein, a UC Berkeley professor of business administration and public policy who specializes in energy. Borenstein was speaking through the crackly static of a cell phone outside his darkened home in the San Francisco suburb of Orinda on Thursday evening. The Berkeley campus was shut down and his home had lost power too after PG&E instituted a mandatory "de-energization" across nearly 40 counties due to high fire threats.
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/24/21 08:18 PM
Cannot resist. My electricity is transferred to me from Grand Coulee Dam almost 500 miles away. They also transfer electricity from there all the way down to California. That being said the lines that transfer the power rarely have any problems, winter or summer, because they were set up, and maintained, properly. Now, however, dams are being attacked all the time to save the salmon. This, in spite of the simple fact that salmon cannons can transfer salmon over dams with little cost (salmon cannon are long tubes of plastic with water in them). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3ZyGlqUkA Where I live they actually took out a dam. They figured it would cost a couple of million to do the job. They spent something like a billion before they were done AND IT WAS UNNECESSARY!

Anyway, if we get rid of dams then we will really need to have some small nuclear reactors to make electricity. They have been working on these for a long time. In theory they can build a factory to make them and deliver them by truck. They are also flat out safe (they cannot melt down, for instance) and they can be buried as well. In theory they will need to be dug up and replaced about every 20 years or so. Other than that they just sit and produce electricity wherever its needed (they can also create . These reactors are now being investigated and built by the United States, Canada, South Africa, Russia, India, UK, Argentina, etc. If this ever happens it will be the end of transferring electricity hundreds of miles as you can have one in your own town to provide power. You can google "small nuclear reactor" for info on this. https://www.energy.gov/ne/nuclear-reactor-technologies/small-modular-nuclear-reactors. There is also talk that solar might be cheaper. This, of course, depends of getting sunlight. Where I live we have sun in the summer, not so much in the winter. Small nuclear reactors can also be used for desalinization and making hydrogen.

I am not, incidentally, for the giant windmills. They are expensive to maintain, not always reliable, kill a LOT of birds, and almost took out the entire Grand Coulee Dam electrical grid as windmill power is not always steady or smooth.

Just saying...........
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/25/21 01:47 AM
Not all dams or dam removals are created equal.

It’s not just (or even mostly) the physical hinder to travel that is the problem with dams; the destruction of egg-laying habitat is huge.

Most of the dams that people are seriously talking about removing are inactive power generators (think Elwa) or never really generated power so much as facilitated shipping and irrigation (think Lower Snake River).
Any kid who grew up in the NW can name the tributaries of the Columbia, but only by playing this tune in their heads, to bring back the lyrics, just like the alphabet! It was particularly prominent in Oregon grade-schools in 1959 celebrating the Centennial.
Any out of town visitors got a tour of the Columbia river valley up to Dalles and the Bonneville dam. There were many interesting things to do including watching the Salmon climb the fish ladders, visit the hatchery, and pet the gigantic Sturgeons on the viewing ponds.
This particular Dam was well planned,at the time, as the Salmon run is a religious event for natives and newcomers. There were also concerns about river ship navigation, but this was resolved by the concept: Lock them up!

TAT

Roll on Columbia

As a kid, I recall the amazing salmons runs in the rivers and creeks of the upper Salmon River watershed. It would look like you could walk across on their backs, there were so many. 900 miles from the mouth of the Columbia. We spent hours one day watching those magnificent creatures jumping and swimming up Dagger Falls on the Middle Fork (my dream vision is that it was 20' high - they would try over and over again, finally leaping from the whitewater churn below the falls into a thread of solid water extending down eight or ten feet before it disintegrating into more whitewater (full of air).

Perhaps ten years later, the Idaho Fish and Game dynamited the falls to make passage easier for the dwindling numbers of fish, exhausted and emaciated (they don't eat after they leave the ocean) from the swim that now took many times longer due to the god dam obstacles that we humans had put in their way for our unthinking convenience and greed.

Cheap and clean electricity, MY ASS!! Fish cannons, what a delusional joke...

(Now I'm pissed off, need to find some kittens puppies babies to drown...) mad

We backpacked that area, from Mt Adams, back to Mt Saint Helens, when there was still a YMCA camp on Spirit Lake! Dam Volcanoes! It makes you feel a bit old when mountains you camped on disappear during your lifetime!

TAT
Different Salmon river, the White one! I guess you were in the Idaho part of the river. we were scared of camping there, too many Fundy weirdos, even back then!

TAT
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/25/21 04:41 PM
I think you’re talking about the White Salmon River while logtroll is talking about the Salmon River
Salmon are racist too!?
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/25/21 07:12 PM
There were two Elwah dams. One generated power. The dam removal was a disaster and continues to this day. The Port Angeles water supply remains at risk and has problems for instance. It also turns out that the removals themselves were disasters as well. It was done by the Park Service and they were clueless big time.

There is actually a video of the entire mess around someplace. They tried, very hard to un-mess that but that even failed.

The removals were screwed up from the beginning but the Indians are happy and there will be more salmon for the sea lions to eat so they can breed more sea lions to eat more salmon thereby accomplishing, basically nothing.
Favorite Sea Lion Recipes

I'm sensing chronic pinniped disgruntlement syndrome!
TAT
I dunno about sea lions...but manatees! I figger there's a reason they call them seal cows. Manatee steaks be like wagyu from the sea.

So...uh...JGW...

Not much of an environmentalist, eh?

Anti wind-turbine, pro dam...sometimes I wonder why you aren't a Republican.
Different Salmon river, the White one! I guess you were in the Idaho part of the river. we were scared of camping there, too many Fundy weirdos, even back then!
TAT

I was lookin' fer a trophy Kat ta skin...
Better try a Cat ta tonic, or up a dominant fifth
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/26/21 02:18 AM
So, a disaster?

The Elwha’s Living Laboratory: Lessons From the World’s Largest Dam-removal Project

Quote:
By most accounts the dam removal and river restoration on the Elwha has been a success, or it’s headed that way. It’s still too early to tell how large the rebound will be for salmon populations, and scientists will spend years studying the long-term impacts. But initial results are encouraging.
Now dont they have to stock it upriver with Salmon, so they will know where to come home to?

Mutha Nature showed where the Columbia Bonneville dam should be located. Bonneville landslide was not ancient

Quote:

In about 1450, an immense landslide tumbles off Table Mountain in Skamania County and completely blocks the Columbia River, shoving it a mile off course. A lake forms behind the dam extending as far as 100 miles. The river will eventually breach the dam causing a 100-foot-deep flood downstream and creating the Cascades rapids. This is the most recent of four documented slides in the 14-square-mile Cascade Landslide Complex and will be called the Bonneville Landslide.

Quote:
It is unknown if there were any human casualties of the cataclysm, but the creation of The Cascades was a boon to Native Americans. The rapids made the location ideal for catching salmon during the summer runs and became central to the local economy. The floods also created extensive sandy beaches downstream.
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/26/21 03:37 AM
From the same article.
Quote:
“Salmon of all species very rapidly moved into habitats they haven’t been able to get to for 100 years,” says Ian Miller, Coastal Hazards Specialist with Washington Sea Grant. “That was happening effectively in the same season as the blockages were removed in most cases.”

Lots of good information and qualifiers about these being early results. Points out how the return of salmon strengthens the entire habitat and increases biodiversity. You know, stupid treehugger nonsense.
Points out how the return of salmon strengthens the entire habit and strengthens biodiversity. You know, stupid treehugger nonsense.

The bears and the birds, et al, fed on all them dead fishies, spreading their ocean harvested nutrients all over the inland forests.

Real fish fertilizer, that. Eco-logical systematization. Mudder Nature shore is a smart ol' gal.
That reminds me, vividly, of banding Osprey chicks in their waterfront nests. Mom would bring back fish that "softened' in the sun to make tough parts more palatable sick
Mom's were "unhappy" with our invasions!!
Somewhere I still have that recipe for Osprey nest soup!grin
I'll dig it up for Chef Gagger!

TAT
I dunno about sea lions...but manatees! I figger there's a reason they call them seal cows. Manatee steaks be like wagyu from the sea.

So...uh...JGW...

Not much of an environmentalist, eh?

Anti wind-turbine, pro dam...sometimes I wonder why you aren't a Republican.

I suggest a gentle Oregon Cetacea reduction
What do a video cassette recorder and a financier for pirates have in common?

An acronym, of course!

VC Arrrr...
Grrr! I must avurrr, it's gone too furrr!
She's a real hairball, that's for shurr.
EYCH EYCH EYCH You asked fur it!
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/26/21 06:42 PM
A little problem there as Sea Lions are a protected species and they are multiplying bigtime. google "astoria sea lions" to see what happens then (we go down there to visit and its always interesting to look at all the docks that have been taken over by sea lions). I think I saw, however, that the Indians have been given the ok to kill a some of them.

Sea Lions eat between 15 and 35 pounds of salmon every day. Its interesting. Years ago it used to be that when a fisherman saw a sea lion they killed it. One would think that might cut the population back - nope, never happened.

Refreshingly graphic!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/27/21 12:18 AM

Refreshingly graphic!
Concurrr
Happy that Lady GaGa’s puppies were returned safely, yet disappointed to not see the headline, “Men arrested trying to sell hot dogs.”

CPAC is a hotel ballroom full of loud big mouths running around screaming that society is trying to silence them. CPAC also makes clear that conservatism and white nationalism are now inseparable like an over-lapping Venn diagram.

Earlier today, these same people wheeled in a craven golden image of their orange God, Donald J Trump, to worship.

Hmm
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 02/27/21 05:53 PM
I actually saw a guy kneeling (one knee) before that golden statue! (on TV) Things on the Republican side are getting REALLY strange!

I'm not sure that I want 'unity' with nutty fruit loops at CPAC's hate fest that is not good for democracy.

Hmm
Strange thoughts: Isn't it kind of pitiful when a little kid with Tourette's Syndrome doesn't yet know any good shocking swear words to shout in class or church, simply because they have not learned any yet? They have an uncontrollable compulsion to shock people, but they can't do it, simply because they don't have the right vocabulary yet? That must be terribly frustrating for them.

Maybe it would be the humane thing to teach them some good ones?

But what if we only taught them a bunch of Elizabethan curses? How funny would that be?

TROLLOP! SLATTERN! STRUMPET! WHORE-MONGER!

or even Shakespearean:

Thy vile canker-blossom’d countenance curdles milk and sours beer.
May thy pigs be set upon by ravens and torne asunder leaving only bespecked bone and curdled fat for which the rats upon to feast!

Or maybe just a little poem to help learn advance vocabulary like ABCD song grin
Language and Speech in Tourette Syndrome: Phenotype and Phenomenology

Ponderer poses a fascinating Zen like ponderable:
What is the sound of a mute Tourette ticing or toking?

There are very interesting swear-arounds for those with linguistic disabilities!
Quote:
One study provided data on coprolalia from 11 different nationalities and found that the coprolalic words or phrases differed by country. Shapiro also noted that patients with TS tend to utilize the most socially unacceptable terms within their own cultural context [27]. Thus, coprolalia seems to be defined by the appreciation and utilization of a sophisticated region- and culture-specific lexicology of meaning and inferred intentionality of speech, phrases and, in some cases, gestures. Jankovic and Fahn reported on a patient who had coprolalia in Spanish at home around her family and coprolalia in English when she was in the hospital [28]. We have cared for a patient with severe mental retardation who was nearly non-verbal but had coprolalia in German (his first language and the primary language of his family). Nearly half of the 15–20 words he was capable of saying were mostly coprolalic in German. Case reports of tics and coprolalia emerging after treatment with neuroleptics has been reported [29]. The same has also been noted for copropraxia.

Quote:
Several reports have identified signed tics in people with deafness. Lang et al. [30] reported on a patient who developed tics at 8 years of age, and by 17 years of age she began training to learn sign language, and then began to incorporate tics into her use of sign language. She later developed coprolalia and copropraxia in her signing. This would also occur when she was not talking or thinking about the word or phrase she was signing, and analogously to persons using speech, some of her coprolalic signs after much usage were at times truncated.

Quote:
Another report was of a patient who was found to be profoundly deaf at the age of 10 months [33]. At 5 years of age he was first noted to make screeching noises, and repetitively making ‘ppp’ or ‘prrrr’ sounds. He had multiple facial twitches. At 7 years of age he was taught sign language and finger spelling, and psychometric testing found him to have an IQ of 120. At the 20 years of age his tic behavior markedly worsened and his parents felt that he had developed TS. He made frequent loud screeching noises and complex motor movements. It became clear that sign language was an integral part of the expression of his range of tics. He would randomly intersperse obscene signs and finger-spelled obscene words in normal conversation. He repeatedly produced sexual signs when conversing with women

Blind dates can be very unusual, but so can deaf dates.
I'm dreading the end of the wonderful blessed silence.
I simply dont want to hear that voice again until his official reinagurgitation supposedly coming up sick circa March 4th...
I'm dreading the end of the wonderful blessed silence.
I simply dont want to hear that voice again until his official reinagurgitation supposedly coming up sick circa March 4th...

Boy! The MAGAts are gonna be pissed when Fatboy Trump is not inaugurated on the 4th of March 2021. coffee
Maybe 420 crazy
Speaking of that...

I've gotten my medical marijuana card. It's a pretty awesome thing being able to buy and use weed legally.
But doesn't that take away from the excitement of pot crimes?
It makes some of us, previously oppositional defiant types grin
less likely to partake? But if I could grow it legally, I would certainly participate as a horticultural challenge! crazy

TAT
The mainstream media, at least on the commie channel, seem to have come up with a consensus about reefering to who has come before Biden..The most common reference is to: "The former guy" that seems cumbersome to me! Clearly we need an appropriate, or preferably an inappropriate ACRONYM.

Former _____ Guy !

Round up the usual vowels to make it pronounceable.

A arshole, no good for LBGTQ PR
E Expunged no good as FEG doesn't have connotations
I Ignornanus FIG insulting to a harmless fruit
O Ogre FOG appropriate but insufficiently offensive
U Un- you name it, FUG! I think we have a winner, only insulting to the FUGS, who on second thought would likely approve!

I'm open to editorial input, for the best U-word, but I nominate FUG! Maybe it will catch on like the honorific Santorum!

TAT
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/03/21 01:03 AM
Former Unindicted Guy?
Ooh, I like that foreshadowing and hopeful!

TAT

Not being satisfied with its non-regulation capitalistic energy plan, Texas will no open completely up: No mask requirements, restaurants 100% full, every business open.

I gotta hand it to Texans - they're super proud of their stupidity. Hmm
Well, like I've said before: At least it'll kill the right people. You would think they would realize that more dead mask-refusers = fewer Republican voters. But hey, stupid is stupid. What are you gonna do?

A lot of those same folks are refusing to get vaccinated, as well. I wonder how they are receiving the news that Donald and Melania got vaccinations back in the beginning of January.
I believe I was two when I got an unexpected tachyonic antitelephone call from myself on the subject of traveling faster than the speed of light, which I immediately disregarded as a prank.

However, to this day I have had little interest in going that fast... the power of suggestion?

Ya can't do it, Bro!

There was a young lady named Bright
Who traveled much faster than light.
She set out one day,
In a relative way,
And came back the previous night.
There once was an old woman named Dim,
Who had neither vigor nor vim.
She stayed in for years,
Though it bored her to tears,
And thought life exceedingly grim.
There once was an old woman named Dim,
Who had neither vigor nor vim.
She stayed in for years,
Though it bored her to tears,
And thought life exceedingly grim.
And Dallas found parts of her hind limb

And Dallas found parts of her hind limb

I do believe you are confabulating my virgin Limerick with an old classic about a woman named Alice... nono
Moi? grin
That's Mew? in French

Trump's mentally ill, conspiracy-laden base think he'll be inaugurated today. crazy Jeezus those people are idiots. coffee
Nevertheless their threats have forced the congress out of the capitol building, and maybe the district, which will certainly be regarded, by them, as symbolic success. I regard it as a symbolic failure, but what do I know about capitol defense? Capital management yes, Capitol management no idea.
I suppose, though I'm sure that for security reasons,nobody will discuss Capitol and White House security systems.
Clearly the Capitol was poorly equipped to deal with mod violence.
We and the Israelis have developed defensive systems for missiles and anti-mortar defenses. Mortars can launch 20-30 rounds per minute, with a range of several miles, and cam be launched from trucks etc. It would be quite PR, and physical disaster scene for these building to come under a concerted attack from several directions. It is, as we have learned, difficult to fight asymmetrical warfare against martyrs.

I assume that there are will be intense coverage by surveillance aircraft and satellites, and abundant attack choppers to take out identified attackers. Naturally this will leave softer targets more susceptible, and that the Wakolike whackos are well aware of this situation. How long can congress and WH stay on Red Alurt? The WH was previously somewhat protected by the presence of FUG, but no longer!

If the whackjobs dont do something today there will be many very disappointed White supremacist, and may melt away if there in a major misQ. The true believers know this too, so stay tuned.

TAT
Posted By: jgw Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/04/21 05:35 PM
You shouldn't be so mean to the mentally challenged! They simply live in a different reality. That seems to be the thing these days. I suspect they watch waaay too much TV and have confused TVLAND to be real. That being the case then EVERYTHING is possible for them and they get to pick and choose. Seems about right to me.

I also have to spend a lot of time explaining that tvland is not real to my grandchildren. They seem to understand.
"I'll take Bird Calls for $500, Alex."

Quote:
Haiku

"What is a soprano pigeon's song?"
Is that an African or European soprano pigeon?

Or VERY "quiet" pigeons?
furr out tweety
TV land is never going to be the same for them, once they get sentenced. I bet the prison guards don't let even the well-behaved inmates watch Fox News, much less tweet or use the internet. Just phone calls from family members, with authorities listening in for some number of years.

And possibly worst of all, they have to admit what they did was a crime and take responsibility for it to convince their parole board to ever let them out. If they run true to form, they get in fights and extend their sentences.
Is a haiku just
A fun three story word game...
Or a nice dove song?

I saw the interview of the QAnon "Shaman" on 60 Minutes+ ( Now Paramount+, formerly CBS All Access ), both Jacob and his mom were interviewed. Jacob said he "walked in through an open door," and that the Capital Police escorted him "into the sacred Senate Chamber." Video footage shows a Capital Police officer following Jacob into a Senate Chamber where there were already 4 or 5 insurrectionists present.

When asked about the note that Jacob left on Mike Pence's desk, Jacob said "the words were not threatening," and they were Donald Trump's words. When asked by 60 Minutes if Jacob still supports Donald Trump, he said, "Yes."

I'm not sure if this interview will be a part of regular 60 Minutes this coming Sunday.
I'm not sure if this interview will be a part of regular 60 Minutes this coming Sunday.

Nope, wasn't on 60 Minutes tonight. However, featured was an article on fluoxamine - a drug commonly used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder, is becoming an early treatment candidate for COVID-19 that P-I-A might find interesting.

In 2019, there was a study of antidepressant fluvoxamine showed that fluvoxamine stopped sepsis. Sepsis is the runaway immune response in which inflammation gets out of control, damages organs and can be deadly. It's believed a similar phenomenon occurs in COVID patients. In the small trail which is detailed in JAMA, 100% of the COVID patients given fluvoxamine, none of the patients symptoms worsened, none were hospitalized, and none died.
Baptism Under Fire

Trophy wife sermon doesn't play well...

Church - gotta love it!
Proper Christian woman gonna do all them things anyway.

It's inna bible.
Funny that pastor says women should lose weight: Looks like he ate a few thousand hamburgers too many himself!
This is the patriarchy.

Women exist to serve and to service.

In 3/20, all the Senate Democrats voted for Trump's Covid stimulus/relief bill.

In 12/20, nearly every Senate Democrat voted for Trump's second Covid stimulus/relief bill.

In 3/21, no Senate Republicans voted for Biden's Covid stimulus/relief package.

Asymmetric Polarization.
-- Julian Zelizer, Princeton historian and CNN analyst
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/09/21 12:56 AM
It’s because the Democrats are totally unreasonable. They want to enact legislation that will make them look good with a super majority of the country. Obviously, Republicans cannot be expected to go along with such a blatantly partisan act. What happen to Biden’s pledges of bipartisanship? How about do nothing and prove that government is useless? Now there’s a bipartisan proposal we can all stand behind!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/11/21 03:18 AM
Recovery act is sent to president’s desk with about 70% approval among Americans and not a single GQP vote.

Which party is pursuing a radical agenda again?
Biden is an abject failure at bipartisanship. Bringing the American people together in spite of his worthlessness is a sorry substitute...
Recovery act is sent to president’s desk with about 70% approval among Americans and not a single GQP vote.

Which party is pursuing a radical agenda again?

76% approval. smile
Biden is an abject failure at bipartisanship. Bringing the American people together in spite of his worthlessness is a sorry substitute...

Biden and Dems got a bill passed that 76% of Americans support, and didn't "fail" to get Republican support.

Republicans failed the American people.

THAT is the headline media needs to run. Hmm

Republican politicians did what their constituents wanted them to do and what their party wanted them to do and they could do it safely without risking their seats or donor dollars. They could vote against it with the assurance it would pass unless a Democrat voted against it.

Quote:
In my view, the American Rescue Plan is the most significant piece of legislation for working people that has been passed in decades.
Bernie Sanders
It's unkind to double troll man's best friend nono
TAT

Republiclowns tout parts of Joe's COVID relief bill after voting against it. rolleyes
Republican politicians did what their constituents wanted them to do and what their party wanted them to do and they could do it safely without risking their seats or donor dollars. They could vote against it with the assurance it would pass unless a Democrat voted against it.

Quote:
In my view, the American Rescue Plan is the most significant piece of legislation for working people that has been passed in decades.
Bernie Sanders

THIS Republican voter disagrees with the GOP voting against the bill. I'm sure this guy is not the only GQP'er to feel this way. Hmm
The Oklahoma legislature just passed a bill to give people who run over protestors immunity from prosecution. But drivers looking to attack protestors with their cars (and there have been several) beware: Oklahoma is a permit-free legal concealed-carry state for those protestors 21 or over, and it's Stand Your Ground law gives people the right to defend themselves with deadly force if they feel threatened in a public place they have a right to be.

So both the drivers and the protestors can claim immunity. This is a recipe for disaster. In effect, they are legalizing public duels. People can "accidently" try to run over protestors with politics they don't like, and protestors can kill them when they see them coming.

Morons in the legislature, much?
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/11/21 10:51 PM
Never before have the words “only in America” been truer.
Nature's way of saying do not touch
Anyone who feels so threatened to need to open carry,
should never have a firearm, because everyone else will be considered a threat. A reasonable law would make an application for an open carry permit an exclusion for purchasing a firearm. If a whole state bans the need for even permits, gun import into the state should be unlawfull, as well as importing ammunition!
There should be a manditory wellcome station at the state border where visitor should have to sign a consent document that they understand that they can be shot on sight by any armed paranoid or oath keeper.
I think I've mastered the six inch tortilla press. My tortillas have gotten better over the past few weeks since I bought it. I've discovered a few things by trial and error:

1. Get the right consistency. The masa has to stick together well but not be at all lumpy. If it's too dry, sprinkle in a little more water. It does tend to dry out as you make balls.
2. Use thick plastic, like a cut up food storage bag on each side of the dough. Wax paper is lousy.
3. Make the right size balls for your press. If you are squishing out too much around the edges, your balls are too big. If the pressed tortilla does not come to the edge of the press, they are too small. You want plastic, dough, and then plastic if that is not obvious. Put a ball down on the lower plastic so it's toward the hinge side of the press. Then put the top plastic on it and squish it down so it's somewhat flat.
4. Don't press too hard. The tortilla thickness should come out uniform.
5. Peel off the top layer of plastic bag. Then pick up the tortilla with the dough facing your palm. Then peel off the bottom layer of plastic carefully.
6. Toss the raw tortilla into the pan without touching the pan. If you do it right, the tortilla dough does not wrinkle or fold.
7. Keep your pan hot but not smoking. You will probably have to turn gas on and off to keep it that way because each tortilla has such little mass. Induction with a fixed temperature would be better.
8. Wait 30-45 seconds to flip it. It should hold together and slide nicely across the pan if you cooked it long enough.
9. Wait 30 to 45 seconds to flip it again. If it's cooked enough it looks much whiter than the raw dough. If cooked to long, it starts to brown.
10. Profit!
Congrats on that, it's an art I never mastered.
Real breakthrough for me. I was getting tired of the rye bread I was baking all the time. My wife is gluten-free so this means she can have a "bread" too. It was irritating having all these avocados and no tortillas for making Mexican food. In fact, I think I'll go make some beef tacos right now!
This is a great product you can buy:

The Switch You Need!
Posted By: Irked Re: RoundTable at the End of the Trump Regime! - 03/16/21 12:50 AM
This is a great product you can buy:

The Switch You Need!

Sssshhhhhhhh! Don’t want everyone to know. nono
Woody Allen/Sleeper: "Shut up and eat your shiksa"
I think I've mastered the six inch tortilla press. My tortillas have gotten better over the past few weeks since I bought it. I've discovered a few things by trial and error:

1. Get the right consistency. The masa has to stick together well but not be at all lumpy. If it's too dry, sprinkle in a little more water. It does tend to dry out as you make balls.
2. Use thick plastic, like a cut up food storage bag on each side of the dough. Wax paper is lousy.
3. Make the right size balls for your press. If you are squishing out too much around the edges, your balls are too big. If the pressed tortilla does not come to the edge of the press, they are too small. You want plastic, dough, and then plastic if that is not obvious. Put a ball down on the lower plastic so it's toward the hinge side of the press. Then put the top plastic on it and squish it down so it's somewhat flat.
4. Don't press too hard. The tortilla thickness should come out uniform.
5. Peel off the top layer of plastic bag. Then pick up the tortilla with the dough facing your palm. Then peel off the bottom layer of plastic carefully.
6. Toss the raw tortilla into the pan without touching the pan. If you do it right, the tortilla dough does not wrinkle or fold.

That reminds me of Matzo, which reminds me this thread was about masa for a while. I love fresh tortillas but there is a learning curve for this very fragile dough. I was trying to make a modified masa dough that I could use for empandas, but the plain masa couldnt be sealed without cracking. I added some gluten, that I have around for amending sourdough. I figured I needed just a bit of gluten elasticity. Made a nice dough and put the purfect amount of dough in the press and gently applied pressure till the dough came to the edge. It was hilarious when I opened the press and watched the six inch circle quickly shrink to 2 inches. Next time maybe a little less gluten, and preheat the press to 450 on the induction to vulcanize it to keep 6 inches grin I've got some great welding gloves.

TAT
Makes me think of Naan which is slapped against the side of a tandoor.

Quote:
I opened the press and watched the six inch circle quickly shrink to 2 inches

That reminds me of my pizza-making endeavors. No extra gluten added, but my wheat flour dough always fought me on staying stretched out in the pizza pan. I really found it helpful to stretch it out, and then wait 15 minutes before trying again. That's called "letting the gluten relax".
I learned a lot about dough chemistry when my favorite local commercial sourdough became unavailable during covid, and yeast was also hard to find, thus the sourdough experimentation.
Bread flour is a high gluten product, while cake flour is low gluten, All purrpose flour is in between. I have had the same experience with pizza dough, but without the elasticity provided by gluten, it would be difficult to stretch pizza dough to a pan without tearing it. I have not even attempted the flinging and spinning of pizza dough, which is, I suspect is a way of judging if the gluten has rested enough to be pan ready!
I also learned that when you start baking your own bread you will put on 5 or more pounds, which spreads to family and neighbors when the sourdough MUTHA really takes off!

Tat
Makes me think of Naan which is slapped against the side of a tandoor.

I can make a tasty garlic Nan, but I quickly gave up on trying to make the waffer thin lentil flour papadam! The ladies at the Indian food store just laughed knowingly when I was describing why I was buying preformed papadam! Long learning curve!!

Tat

CNN and The Hill report that brokeass Trump's 757 been on the tarmac since Inaugural day needing engine repairs. Production of the 757 ended in 2004. I'm sure Trump's plane is older than 2004.

I can't wait until Cyrus unleashes the indictments. smile
© ReaderRant