Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: Greger Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/21/21 03:49 PM
Welcome
to the
ReaderRant RoundTable
for
Spring of 2021

A new political day is dawning...

The political intrigue is thick in DC, as it seems likely the spoken filibuster will return.

Historic shifts in power are underway.
Biden is popular and doing everything right.
The takeover of the postal service is underway...
But problems are brewing at the border! Too many, too fast.
The system isn't ready for them and must continue to turn them back. This is no shining city on the hill, but it might one day be...
President Biden's tumble up the steps of the Numero Uno Aircraft can likely be explained by steep aircraft steps...it's a matter of stair standards and muscle memory...
Cool thing was how he was able to run up those steps at all...!
The tide is turning on the pandemic.
White supremacy is getting the drubbing it deserves after yet another incel goes rogue.

The republican party is in turmoil as its base becomes more extreme.

Donald Trump is gone and the world is a brighter place.

Posted By: Irked Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/21/21 03:55 PM
Cool pic. Love the dog.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/23/21 05:06 AM
Worked the raised beds a bit and planted my string beans today. Spring is sprung in Southern California. I noticed the sun setting far more to the North today than the last time I noticed. I need to make more rat excluding bed covers: My indoor hydroponic romaine is very different from the same seeds grown in the beds. Indoors yields microgreens. Outdoors they get big normal-sized romaine leaves.

I can only grow stuff rats won't eat, like tomatoes or onions. But the tomatoes and onions are doing great! But I need to be careful not to exclude the bees. Some of my favorite plants like snap peas, string beans, and summer squash need pollination to make any fruit.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/23/21 03:44 PM
With your animal menagerie, I'm surprised you have a rodent problem. Before I had deer fencing I had no rodent problems as I had a major overgrowth of catnip, very highly invasive, and an early grower. At that time the nip-patch was populated by an ADHD ocicat and a 24 pound Maine Coon. Considering their constantly nip impaired states, I suspect that if they saw a rabbit, their dialog would resemble a Cheech and Chong exchange: Wow, man kool a rabbit. Yeah, man, far out! Nevertheless their mere cat presence was sufficient to control rodent damage.
When it was garden planting time I pulled up many square yards of nip plants and threw them into the yard to be mulched by the law mower. I was too late with the mowing and before I knew it we had a cat block party highly reminiscent of 60's other weed driven block parties. Cats of all stripes and colors who were previously highly territorial mixed freely without any signs of hostility or aggressive feelines! Mowing the weeds only intensified the pursistent aromatic distribution and festivities.
Around here the rodent tomato bandits are the tree rats AKA squirrels! The solution is to grow many more tomatoes than you think you will want!
TAT
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/23/21 04:00 PM
This image is a beautiful juxtaposition of beauty, earthy reality, and political optimism/hope. The waterfowl looks more like a loon than a duck, and would be unlikely to be found so close to a dog, even one concentrating on other business. I suspect a clever and artistic Photoshop rendering of reality, as I fail to observe a pattern of concentric ripples around the dropping of dog poop into the lake surface. It's still a magnificent evocative image!
TAT
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/23/21 09:34 PM
De Krakkin lady has had another release. This time its a krazy-like-ghouliani defense in the Dominion defamation case. Here it is in a nuttyshell:

Motion to dismiss on the grounds of that it was all just satire cuz no reasonable person would believe the insane accusations she was making!!!!! Hahahaha... no harrumph, no fowl, right?

(Kinda blows up King Kons Big Lie, though.)
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/23/21 09:45 PM
"Reasonable people" were not among her target audience and they lapped it up like kittens lap up cream.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 01:57 AM
Nolan Rucci is a pentacle.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Greger
"Reasonable people" were not among her target audience and they lapped it up like kittens lap up cream.

I reckon she did the math and decided that the calculus involved in the function of x as x approaches infinity (where x = the damages awarded in the Dominion defamation lawsuit) trumps the fallout from admitting to vote fraud games and their companion frivolous lawsuit sanctions.

Maths can explain everything!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 02:24 AM

I still know the fingering from muscle memory, though the team was so bad in 1969-70 that we played On Wisconsin for the rare first downs! I have no second half memories, as you have to stay sober to march on play for halftime show, so we had to make up that drinking time lost in the first half.

TAT
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: logtroll

I reckon she did the math and decided that the calculus involved in the function of x as x approaches infinity (where x = the damages awarded in the Dominion defamation lawsuit) trumps the fallout from admitting to vote fraud games and their companion frivolous lawsuit sanctions.

Maths can explain everything!

The thought of a schlock lawyer using calculus is infinitesimally unlikely, but it could happen just like all the air molecules could gather in the corner of a room. You can calculate the odds but I wouldnt worry about it!

Catculus
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 03:02 AM
Originally Posted By: TatumAH
The thought of a schlock lawyer using calculus is infinitesimally unlikely, but it could happen just like all the air molecules could gather in the corner of a room. You can calculate the odds but I wouldnt worry about it!
Catculus

On further investigations into googliani sequences, it appears Madame Krakkers is using a brand new form of maths, one branch of which deals with derivatives and disintegrals. The field is concerned only about the units of gassian politicals and sheckels that collect on the surfaces, under the general heading of galculus gaslighticism.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 01:13 PM
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not a misery, but the very foundation of refinement. -William Morris, designer, poet, and novelist (24 Mar 1834-1896)
Posted By: Irked Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 01:59 PM
Simply the best?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 02:55 PM
This could just as well be titled FUG "learns" economics, ethics, government, empathy... from only the best!
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 03:15 PM
Its truly a bitch when all you want to be is a simple dictator trying to live a simple dictators life, but you are surrounded by nothing but Morans who dont even understand the cornerstone of sycophancy - Just tell me what I want to hear, gottdammit!
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/24/21 04:47 PM

Weird that those who are not afraid of COVID and won't wear a mask, ARE afraid of strangers and need an AR-15 for protection.

crazy
Posted By: Irked Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/25/21 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Weird that those who are not afraid of COVID and won't wear a mask, ARE afraid of strangers and need an AR-15 for protection.

crazy

Well now, I cun see that thar weirdo stranger a-cummin at me. That thar is real, by gum! A ferkin threat, ifn thar evah weret one! Now them thar Covids: whos evah seen one? No ones I knows and Im-a bettin no ones you evah knew. I trust in dLawd to save me frum magic, witches and suchn like dCovids. Fur trest, I trust my Glock.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/25/21 07:21 PM
I see the UK is going to be issuing new 50 pound notes in June:

The Englishman Who Won WW II

This is the highest denomination note in circulation, honoring the one hero who's efforts save many millions of lives and gave the allies their victory perhaps two years earlier than otherwise. Just as context, Winston Churchill is on the fiver.

Note: The Turing Test is still one of the principle tools of Artificial Intelligence. His vision was more than 70 years ahead of his time!
Posted By: Irked Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/25/21 09:10 PM
And they hounded him to death for his sexual orientation. Im sure being on the 50 note eases his soul.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/26/21 08:47 AM
What was astonishing is they did not just decide to overlook a bit of eccentric sexual behavior and recruit him at the highest technical level for MI6 (or whatever it was called then). The man's brilliance was the difference between winning or losing the war. He saved more allied military AND civilian lives than any 100 other men combined.

That may have been possible because of all the secrecy around Bletchley Park, even after the war was over. People who could have done something to save him from the idiots, didn't know what he had done. But he also invented Game Theory, and they used that all the time at MI6, the CIA, etc. during the Cold War. It would have been a huge advantage to have him working for them.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/26/21 01:15 PM
Welcome
to the
ReaderRant RoundTable
for
Spring of 2021

A new political day is dawning...

Status Report: Day 4 - Post Hernia Surgery
The evident relief, so eloquently displayed in the lovely image above by Mans Best Friend, touches my soul. (The stool softeners finally worked their magic about an hour ago.)

Blessed relief!!

ouch
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/26/21 02:22 PM
Glad it finally all came out in, or from, the "end"! Opiates will do that clogging up pretty effectively. Butt now you can turn the other cheek, and cough cautiously! eek grin

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/28/21 08:41 PM

The cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal is being rechristened the Mitch McConnell, because it's blocking anything from getting past it.

smile
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/28/21 10:59 PM
That's a very common post-abdominal surgery complaint. I used to have that problem sometimes, but it will never happen again: I just slather a lot of mayo on a sandwich or eat a serving of pesto pasta, and I'm in the bathroom urgently within an hour.

I've got to go pick up my gallon of super-colon-blow from the pharmacy for my butt-viewing next week. Never met the doc who knows my colon so well, because he always comes in after the drugs take effect. Everything is non-malignant so far. The fun part is transparent poop!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/29/21 10:06 AM
Very strange: My wife and I were walking down our driveway about 30 feet from our car to our house last night. It was raining lightly, and we almost ran into three different toads during that walk. It was like science fiction, because we usually see about one per year. Or some kind of omen.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/29/21 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Very strange: My wife and I were walking down our driveway about 30 feet from our car to our house last night. It was raining lightly, and we almost ran into three different toads during that walk. It was like science fiction, because we usually see about one per year. Or some kind of omen.

Mebbe raining toads? Hmm
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/29/21 12:38 PM
Slightly garbled subliminal message from Gawd?

Toady is the first day of the rest of your life.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/29/21 05:04 PM
Has it been dry? Toads mostly stay underground during the winter months, they might sense the moisture and feel a need to breed...
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/29/21 05:32 PM
Toady is the first day of the rest of the Todal disaster!
Clearly ENDTIMES is SAPOsedly upon us!

Passover is near!

We were rained on by tine frog after a huge thunderstorm and nothing happened, but they were frogs no toads!

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/31/21 06:57 PM

Matt Gaetz is under investigation for child trafficking. Q's only need to look in their own backyard.

#PizzaGaetz

Hmm
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 03/31/21 08:10 PM
That's a self righteous little prick I'd like to see laid low.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/01/21 01:11 PM
As long as Matt kept it in Florida, his 17 year old cutie was legal. Rather pervy, but legal. It's transporting her across state lines and then having sex with her, that constitutes sex trafficking. And the penalties are severe.

Bye bye, Matt.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/01/21 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
As long as Matt kept it in Florida, his 17 year old cutie was legal. Rather pervy, but legal. It's transporting her across state lines and then having sex with her, that constitutes sex trafficking. And the penalties are severe.

Bye bye, Matt.

Matt's picadillos seem to have been well known. This story is not getting push-back from many people and the media seems to have accepted this part of Matt's life as genuinely true.

It just seems like everyone was waiting for the information to get out - but they weren't going to be the ones doing it. Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/02/21 04:42 AM

So apparently Mattie likes to take some E when he parties with underage girls, then pays the underage girls with Apple Pay. Apple Pay!!! ROTFMOL

Dummy...that's what Bitcoin is for. rolleyes
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/02/21 11:56 AM
Show Matt the door... The door, Matt! You are not welcome!
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/02/21 12:24 PM
Perhaps Baby Gaetz is phosphorus limited?

Quote:
In 1871 the popular American author Mark Twain offered some advice - from the Swiss-born US naturalist Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz - to an aspiring author who wanted to know how he might improve his literary skills:

"Agassiz does recommend authors to eat fish, because the phosphorus in it makes brains. But I cannot help you to a decision about the amount you need to eat. Perhaps a couple of whales would be enough."

This is a job for psycho-stoichiometry!
Posted By: Ken Condon Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/02/21 04:04 PM
The Rolling Stones even composed a little ditty about Gaetz all those years ago:

Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/03/21 06:01 AM
One last post we might all take to heart:

The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Thanks for being one of the intelligent people, Doug. Everyone benefitted.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/03/21 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
The Rolling Stones even composed a little ditty about Gaetz all those years ago:

This little diddy seems appropriate for Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump, Gym Jordan, Roy Moore:

smile
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/08/21 09:55 AM
I see Governor Kemp has suggested a work-around to the new Georgia law prohibiting giving food or drinks to people waiting in voting lines. He said "They could order Uber Eats delivery." That means people are free to SELL them food or drinks. The law also does not prohibit giving them money, so you give a penny to anyone who wants to buy a drink or a candy bar for a penny! Perfectly legal, according to the governor.

Charity is illegal, but commerce is holy! Republican Jesus would approve.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/08/21 03:43 PM
I'd like to strangle Republican Jesus.

Along with this recent spate of laws suppressing elections has come a bunch denying transgender rights.

Racists and bigots.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/10/21 02:31 AM
Interesting little fact I read the other day: The cost of Covid-19 so far is a bit more than the GDP of the US.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/11/21 12:54 AM
Hey Gregor, it appears that DeathSantis is gonna run for prezzie in 2024. His slogan; "Competent Trumpism" LOL

What DeathSantis is trying to say that Donald Trump was too incompetent to enact really good racist and bigoted legislation. Bow
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/11/21 02:52 AM
Trumpism without the charisma. He's been a fairly competent governor but I don't think he's got the chops to perform on the national stage.

I guess we're gonna find out pretty soon.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/14/21 03:27 PM
Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison at 82

Speaking of huge FRAUDSTERS, Madoff dead, so sad! He claimed to have chronic renal disease and should be released early. I wonder if he pulled his own plug by refusing dialysis or just from the problems associated with CRF. I thought you had to be in government to be able to loose $68 billion!

TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/16/21 12:59 AM
Always like Robert Reich:

Do Corporate Tax Cuts Actually Help Americans?
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/16/21 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison at 82

Speaking of huge FRAUDSTERS, Madoff dead, so sad! He claimed to have chronic renal disease and should be released early. I wonder if he pulled his own plug by refusing dialysis or just from the problems associated with CRF. I thought you had to be in government to be able to loose $68 billion!
Madoff defrauded 37,000 people. That's a lot of people.

Donald Trump has defrauded many more than that. Plus, Trump managed to kill hundreds of thousands of people with his "COVID is just a hoax" fraud.

It's tough to decide who should go down in history as America's most notorious fraudster.

Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/16/21 12:32 PM
In the past 24 hours, another unarmed black male was shot and killed by Law Enforcement. This time, the killed individual was a 13-year old named Adam Toledo in Chicago, and a mass shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis occurred last night.

Sean Hannity described 13-year-old Adam Toledo as a "13-year old man." Can Rightwingers get any more loathsome? Yes they can! American Conservatives seem to support gun violence, insurrections, and Russia - which begs the question: Why do American conservatives hate America so much?

Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/16/21 02:27 PM
Poltitico: 'A nicer version of Trump': GOP donors flock to DeSantis

Translation: Racism, bigotry, and social injustice without the name-calling. smile , coffee
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 12:48 PM
Pro-Trump Republicans launch "White Nationalist Caucus" to celebrate "Anglo-Saxon Heritage."

Source: The Hill

Fits in nicely with the DeSantis post above. Doesn't it?

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 01:01 PM
Just to state the obvious, America has a radicalized Rightwing White Nationalist problem on its hands and history seems to repeating itself. The only thing different is that the Fascists are in North America this time, not Europe.

...and yes, the TBagger Party formation of 2010, in opposition to America's first black president, was the beginning for openly promoting this radicalization of Rightwingers.

Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 01:47 PM
Just to be clear, the January 6th Insurrection was about keeping a White Nationalist in the White House.

crazy
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 02:25 PM
Reading Stegner's "The Spectator Bird", starring an aging literary agent - he's in the living room with a heat lamp shining on his feet and and ankles, when the phone rings and he gets up to answer it. When he comes back, the cat has appropriated the warm spot...

The infrared lamp was shining on the hassock, where I had left it, and right in the middle of the cone of heat, practically smoking, was Catarrh. When I lifted him off it was like taking something out of the oven. "You poor old bugger, " I said. "Here, make yourself at home down here." I put my feet up onto the hassock and folded Catarrh down on the rug close to it.He sat up and eyed the hassock, and I could see in his mind, sluggish as an earthworm in adobe, the idea of jumping up on top of my feet.
Cats!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 05:09 PM
Must be one of them Purrsians with the pushed in faces designed by humans. Very Snotty Cats indeed!

flat faced cats
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/17/21 08:23 PM
It gives me no pleasure to report - upon returning home from a "town walk" to the bakery to fetch bread and afternoon dessert for coffee, and finding a a splendid growth of new alfalfa along the street, out of which we gathered bunches for Jorge the Tortoise and our ten hens - that Wifey traipsed out to the hen house to deliver a share of the bounty and discovered Spikey, a 15 pound orange tabby, was nestled upon a sizable clutch of eggs in the favorite nest!

CATS!!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 02:00 AM
cats sitting eggs

It gives me great pleasure for a family to accept a trans-feline!
Chicks are a lot more fun to "play" with than eggs! It will be interesting to see the chicks imprint on a cat, and even more fun when one becomes a 15 pound rooster!

Little rooster crowing, he must have something on his mind...

slow blues!
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 04:16 AM
Knowing Spikey, it’s a bet that he dreams of farm fresh peeps for snacks.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 06:26 PM
My snakes loved peeps culled from the hatchery. If slightly defective peeps are not culled by humans, the herd culls them. Its a cruel world for hatchlings.
Just out of curiosity is Spikey a tomcat, or just kinda butch?
We had a 24 pound Maine Coon name Rocky, named because when he was a stray, we thought he might just be a large coon. He ruled the neighborhood pacifistically just by his presence on the picnic table. There was no feline interest in competing for dominance!
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 07:38 PM
Spikey is the twin brother to Gus-Gus, who is also known as Nimrod by one of the neighbors, whose bedroom Gussie likes to sleep in when he's out catting around. We're thinking of nicknaming Spike, Nestor.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 08:59 PM
Maybe soon to be an Empty-Nestor. We approve of cat names related to epic poems and other Greek works.
Our first cat was supposed to be a foster cat. She had been hit by a car and was totally blind from the impact, had a healing femur fracture, and was a Manx. Her name selection was so obvious that it immediately stuck.
Etta-puss-wreck somehow became pregnant, in our "care", though in my denial I considered her sudden growth due to worms. Cutest worms ever!

TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 10:55 PM
I wonder if Spikey was just being patient. I've seen cats wait for hours at a gopher hole, for a tasty snack. Maybe Spikey was just waiting for those eggs to hatch. I had a very sweet lab-mix that was obviously feral for a while before we adopted her from the shelter. She found a rabbit hole, excavated, and then went down there and brought each baby bunny up on the back pork to consume, one at a time. We fed her kibble like all the other dogs, but her favorite was whole rabbit, head, feet, and all.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/18/21 11:11 PM
Ol' Spike would be waiting a long time - we don't have a rooster!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/19/21 01:03 AM
You dont believe in miracles? grin We didnt have a Tomcat either!
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/19/21 11:48 AM
You may be right... I wonder what I could get for a rooster that lays eggs?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/19/21 06:18 PM
Virgin Mary Chicken
'
Ya Might be able to go on tour with Hymn/Her in the Bible Belt and make fortune showing that miracles still occur!

" How long have you had them (or did you raise them)? Any chance they'd been with a male in the past..? Or.. I don't know.. do you live in an area with stray roosters?"

"It looks like a fertile egg to me. That's very strange."

"Maybe she got some ideas from the dinosaurs from "Jurassic Park" :p"

"We’ve raised them since they were hatchlings and there are no chickens near! Plus our yard is completely enclosed. We live in San Diego so chickens aren’t really a big thing down here. But it’s supeer strange, I guess I’ll try to hatch some and see if anything comes of it!
Haha too funny but that’s what I’m feeling like because I can’t solve this riddle!!confused"

"This is the only pictures of the girls that I have right now. The barhama is the one that just started laying and the buff Orpington hasn’t laid yet but they’re both 6 months old. This yolk situation made me concerned that the Orpington might be a roo but she has no roo characteristics. "
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/19/21 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by logtroll
You may be right... I wonder what I could get for a rooster that lays eggs?

When outed, that Rooster deserves a Fabulous Coop!

Only the green door opens!
What can be behind the Green Door? nono

TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/19/21 11:27 PM
No way you are going on tour in the Bible Belt with a damned trans rooster! They would say it's an abomination, that needs to be sent to Hell, immediately. Or at least Bubba's grill!

We have a Fabulous Coop coming. I asked my BIL, the retired contractor, if he could put together some 8' x 2' hardware-covered panels together for me. so I could screw them together to make a cheap chicken tractor. He went hog-wild and built a Chicken Palace, to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. We just want a couple for fresh eggs. But soon we will be able to house 16!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/20/21 01:04 AM
Eco-Chicken Tunnels

Now you need some Eco-Chicken Tunnels. Build a mobile one and they clear the weeds and bugs for you and fertilize the earth. Using this concept I built a 65 foot tunnel from the basement catdoor to an enclosure around the kid's old swing set and playhouse. Some cat staff call these Catios. Cats are safe and have the illusion of freedom, but they dont eat weeds or bugs! An occasional very dumb rodent still gets hunted down. My tunnel is mostly 2 ft diameter tomato cages wrapped in snow fence, but a short segment is chicken wire, that didnt stand up to winter conditions. I need to go buy some more snow/cat fence, that is now on spring sale.
They also function as weather stations, since as soon as it rains or snows, a nice wet cat wants to snuggle. I keep one of those very absorbent cloths (Shamwows) on the sofa to deal with the moist pussy problem! nono

List it under things you might not have done if not for Covid.

Tat
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/20/21 01:09 AM
I keep one of those very absorbent cloths (Shamwows) on the sofa to deal with the moist pussy problem! nono
Perhaps a horn-dog would be a consideration?
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/20/21 02:17 AM
Horndog?

You mean Presidential?
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/20/21 10:18 PM
Guilty on all three counts! Rightwingers on Breitbart are taking the verdict pretty hard. smile
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/20/21 10:43 PM
It's tragic that FUG is no longer around to instantly pardon Chauvin, and insure that justice is done. Butt dont worry, it might still get overturned if it gets to SCROTUS on appeal! nono
The only riots tonight will be white supremacists, but we know they will be heavily armed, so what could go worng?

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/21/21 02:42 AM
I haven't seen Liberals this happy since ol Joe reached 271 Electoral Votes. smile
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/22/21 12:07 AM
Yesterday was 4/20 and I stayed pretty much blasted all day long.

We have a Fabulous Coop coming.

Dude! I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that! Has the missus decided what she's going to get? I'd suggest a half dozen to start with. Three pairs that lay different colored eggs will give you a colorful egg bowl.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/22/21 01:57 AM
Is anyone else having an issue staying logged into RR?

I get logged out in the middle of writing something and have to log back in, every time I click away and come back I gota log in again...

I thought I'd check with you guys before contacting Doug.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/22/21 02:46 AM
I used to just stay connected full time because of previous log on problems. I still check the box to stay logged on, but usually when i return, I will have to log on again. I have lost a few partial posts, but I wrote them off a my user errors.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/22/21 07:53 AM
I have to login every time i come here, but my something remembers my username and password, so it just takes a couple of clicks. No biggie. Every time I try to go on Yahoo now, I have to type in my alternate email address, then it sends me to my ATT login where I need to type in that email address again and tricky password. Pain in the ass.

I think more than 2 chickens will keep my wife busy giving away eggs. Good layers in Southern California should produce about 6 eggs per week. We really don't eat more than a dozen eggs per week. So every additional pair of chickens means more feed and another dozen eggs to give away. I suspect we are going to be awash in deviled eggs and egg salad. And I am more interested in feed efficiency than Easter eggs.

Zero chicken wire on this coop: Coyotes climb right over our six foot chain link fences. I've seen them do it. So our coop specs included all 1/2" hardware cloth. Coyotes bite right through chicken wire.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/22/21 03:41 PM
I view Yahoo as a virus that takes over search function and forces one to use Yahoo search. It was very difficult to get rid of it, and in fact, Im worried about even typing Yahoo in here, for fear it will return and block google. I would think that google would be all over this invasion taking market share.

The small portion of chicken wire cat tunnel keeps the deer and cats apart. No coyote probelm here, but I dont have a herd of delicious chickens.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/23/21 11:33 PM
Apparently you have a herd of delicious cats. Outside cats last less than 24 hours around here. Small dogs, too.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/24/21 09:58 AM
I have been telling my boys, GusGus and Spikey, that they are looking delicious today, which causes them to rub against my legs, long tails wrapping around, and mewing in tiny squeeks.

That reminds me, I’d like to write a book...

Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/24/21 10:02 AM
Perhaps a series of paperbacks in this genre.

Doc Savage is a fictional character of the competent man hero type, who first appeared in American pulp magazines during the 1930s and 1940s. Real name Clark Savage Jr., he is a doctor, scientist, adventurer, detective, and polymath who "rights wrongs and punishes evildoers."
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/25/21 12:29 AM
Ya got me! But I never cut up a live one! grin

TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 04/27/21 09:43 AM
Tucker Carlson told his viewers they should call the police again and again to report child abuse if they see children outside playing while wearing masks. That just happens to be current CDC guidelines. I think Tucker might get in trouble for this when his viewers start getting arrested for abuse of emergency services.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/01/21 03:16 AM
I see Josh Duggar has just been busted for receiving and possessing child pornography. We all knew he was headed down that path when he got in hot water for molesting his sisters when he was a teen. I think the patriarchal Evangelical environment supports this, or at least does little to discourage it.

Fundamentalist Baptists Worse Than Catholic Church

Worse than the Catholic Church because priests are supposed to be celibate. The whole system of these extreme fundamentalists enables this crap, from home schooling, "forgiveness" rather than reporting crimes, pervy pastors moving to other churches instead of going to prison, victims treated as "sinners", etc. Everything about it is sick.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/01/21 05:03 PM
Looks like DC statehood is pretty easy. Manchin says we need a constitutional amendment to do it, but he's clearly wrong about that: No state has EVER been admitted by constitutional amendment. The process is included in the constitution already, and it does not mention an amendment requirement. It's mostly up to the people living in that territory. They can vote on a new state constitution by simple majority, and then a simple majority vote to admit in each house of congress is all it takes. It got a little trickier when new states were carved out of old states, but that's not the case for DC.

DC would have a larger population than Wyoming or Vermont, and I suspect a statehood vote would pass easily. The size of the federal district has already been adjusted once, when some land was returned to Virginia. So that has precedence.

Just as easy to admit Puerto Rico, if the boricuas could get their act together.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/01/21 11:36 PM
I thought I just saw that Manchin was against it....we'll see I guess...I didn't look past the headline.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/02/21 08:17 AM
He did, but he gave the excuse that it should be done by constitutional amendment. I think that shows he's quite ignorant on the subject, since it has never been done that way. If the people of DC voted for it, and adopted a proposed state constitution, I think it would be hard for him to say no. The only cases where some other people get to vote on a proposed statehood, has been where the new state is cut from a larger old state. In that case, the people of the whole old state have to approve it, before the division can take place.

People in other states have NEVER had a direct vote, and right in the constitution it says a simple majority. Not an elaborate constitutional amendment process.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/02/21 01:16 PM
Is there anything in the charter that precludes DC from statehood? It's not exactly a territory, rather a district set aside which belongs to all the states.

**edit**
I've been nosing around a bit and Manchin's flimsy constitutional excuse won't necessarily stand in court, but it doesn't have to...

Statehood proponents have to change his mind and his vote because that's all that really counts. Not liable to happen and the statehood vote is doomed.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/04/21 09:54 PM
His excuse is flimsy. That's why I think the people of DC voting for it overwhelmingly could change his mind. Puerto Rico would not have the "district" problem. It's just a plain old territory like most states were when they asked for admission. I wonder how the local sentiment is running. Becoming a state could have some huge advantages for the people of Puerto Rico.

If everybody who moved to the mainland moved back temporarily, I'm sure the statehood vote would pass. Most of the people who see an advantage of living in a state simply moved to the mainland.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/04/21 11:17 PM
Manchin isn't much of one to change his mind.

He's a traditionalist.

How does DC statehood poll nationwide? How does it poll in West Virginia?

You know how folks are once their minds are made up.
Posted By: perotista Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/05/21 01:04 PM
Manchin is my type of democrat as I'm also more or less a traditionalist. Biden was also once a traditionalist and was elected as a traditionalist Democratic Moderate.

Now on to D.C. The Constitution does mandate a federal district, but only limits its size at 10 square miles. Nothing in the constitution prevents it from being made smaller. In fact the southern portion of D.C. the portion south of the Potomac was returned to the state of Virginia. There’s nothing that would prevent the northern portion, the portion north of the Potomac back to Maryland as there is precedence for this type of move. Although a small portion of D.C. would have to remain a federal district. That could be only a few block area including the White House, the Capital, the SCOTUS building and a few others. No residences, but more or less a small business district.

Returning most of the northern, north of the Potomac portion back to Maryland would give Maryland an extra representative and enable the who reside, live in D.C. would be able to vote for Maryland’s two senators, a voting representative in the house along with giving them state legislatures and senators. This solution has the advantage that has been done before, precedence. Making a city a state hasn’t any precedence. A city, district mandated by the Constitution. Now there is the 23rd Amendment that would probably have to be addressed. D.C. isn’t a territory, it a Constitutional mandated district.

As for polls 55% against D.C. statehood, 29% in favor and 16% don’t give a cat’s meow.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/...-statehood-latest-poll-says-not-so-much/

Personally, I’m against D.C. statehood, but am in favor of returning the northern portion back to Maryland except for a small few block area which would remain the federal district. This solution would take politics out of it and give those living, residing in D.C. a vote in all functions of government both state and federally. It also has the advantage of precedence since returning a portion back to the state from whence it came was done before. Although there is the 23rd Amendment that would either have to be addressed or ignored.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/05/21 01:53 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you on this.

Being a socialist progressive doesn't prevent me from also being a traditionalist.

DC statehood is a sort of power grabby Democrat thing. Like adding the justices of their choice to counterbalance the conservative supreme court.
They'd add a two dependable democratic senate seats.

I like the idea of adding northern DC to Maryland, it solves the problems without a lot of complications.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/05/21 02:05 PM
Manchin is not my type of Democrat.

But I'm okay with him. He caucuses with the democrats but represents a red state. We could actually use more like him.

I'm not much of an advocate for sudden jerky change, Biden is veering left, Manchin is keeping him from going too far too fast. This dynamic, coupled with republican infighting over Trump are some of the things that are going to make 2022 an interesting race.
Posted By: perotista Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/06/21 01:30 AM
As of now, independents are sticking with Biden, they like him. At least that is what the favorable and approval rating polls show. If I could have my way, Manchin would take Schumer's place and Romney McConnell's place. then perhaps we could get back to a long ago, at least it seems so, long ago political era of compromise and give and take with neither party threatening the nuclear option or adding SCOTUS or making D.C. a state.

I think my suggestion solves the problem if giving those folks who live in D.C. a voice and a vote in all government is the main problem. But I think the democrats don't care that much about giving the folks who reside and live in D.C. a voice and a vote, they want the additional 2 senators. Besides, my solution has precedence as it has been done before with the south of the Potomac portion being given back to the state of Virginia.

I think 2022 can easily belong to the Democrats if Biden and the democratic congress don't do something stupid to make independents angry at them. I think Biden has been pushing the envelope, but hasn't stepped over the line. Trump is an advantage to democrats, McConnell by his refusal to cooperate, at least some of the time and on some issues with Biden could also help. Remember Harry S. Truman used the do nothing congress for his big comeback win in 1948.

I think a majority of independents want cooperation whenever possible. Not obstruction of everything Biden. It's okay for McConnell and the GOP to fight Biden and congressional company 50% or even 60% or 70% of the time, but not 100%.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/06/21 04:30 PM
Everybody would love to see some compromise.

One party has expressed some interest in it...the other has announced 100% obstruction.

Democrats will be waiting a long time for Republicans to come to the bargaining table. McConnell does NOT back down.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/07/21 06:18 AM
Depends on what The Trump Party does with their Republicans: Dumping Liz Cheney and censuring Mitt Romney could lead to an independent Real Republican caucus in both House and Senate that might be willing to vote for good stuff the Democrats like too. If the leaders of the Trump Party crap on them I doubt they will be willing to go along with total obstruction. And now that the Democrats hold the edge, they can bring bills to a vote eventually.
Posted By: perotista Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/07/21 12:08 PM
I think Cheney will be ousted any day now from her number three position and then be primaried out come the 2022 GOP Wyoming primary. If I was Liz, I'd run was an independent which has the potential to split the GOP vote and let the democrat win. This may also apply to the 9 other house members.

History, in 2010 the Tea Party in Alaska ran Joe Miller who beat Murkowski in the Republican Primary making Miller the GOP nominee for senate in that state. Murkowski ran as an independent write in candidate and beat both Miller and the democrat in the General election. As an write in candidate which makes her accomplishment all the more impressive. Cheney is no Murkowski and Wyoming isn't Alaska, Liz would probably have to gather enough signatures to get on the ballot. I doubt she'd would be able to accomplishing anything as a write in.

Having worked for Perot, running as an independent is very rough. Republicans and Democrats get automatic ballot access, all others, third parties, independents must jump through hoops gathering signatures which differ state by state. 50 different requirements and 50 different time limits. Then both Republicans and Democrats go over the signatures with a fine tuned comb trying to throw out as many as possible to avoid letting an independent or third party candidate gain ballot access. You need to gather at least twice as many signatures as any state law requires, sometimes three times.

Perot also had to file many law suites and spend millions just to get on the ballot in all 50 states. There's much more, but the two major parties don't like anyone challenging them.
Posted By: NW Ponderer Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/07/21 05:39 PM
Beginning with the caveat that I cannot stand Liz Cheney, I don't think she's in as much trouble in Wyoming as she is in DC. Not, of course, that she's popular right now. But here's the thing: she is well known. ANYone who runs against her will not have name recognition like she has. She'll be able to tout her roots and her constant support for "Wyoming values" - at least in the rural parts. Also, it is likely that a number of wannabes will jump into the primary. I think she'll pull 20+%, which will likely swamp the other 9 wannabes. The farther from the impeachment, the better her chances. Plus, she may get a boost from the indictments that are coming before the end of the year. Again, I can't stand her, but her "conservative" bona fides are unassailable. She's just this side of fascist, but she is on the right side of that.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/07/21 08:06 PM
Liz Cheney voted with Trump 93% of the time - but she won't go with the loonies and say that Trump "won" the 2020 election. Seriously, how can ANYONE believe that the most hated, the most inept and incompetent, the biggest lying POTUS could ever be re-elected. That is some serious delusional thinking.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/08/21 04:28 PM
Some people are saying dunce tinfoilhat that Rudy and Barr should just keep very quiet and be patient , as FUG will pardon them as soon as he is re-elected or manages to oust Biden.

TAT
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/08/21 04:31 PM
I'm working on bumper sticker for the Florida Gubernatorial race. How's this?

DeSantis is the Anti-Crist!

TAT
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/08/21 08:16 PM
Some people are saying dunce tinfoilhat that Rudy and Barr should just keep very quiet and be patient , as FUG will pardon them as soon as he is re-elected or manages to oust Biden.

TAT

Except Dems don't want Crist either. Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/08/21 08:19 PM

TAT

I'm looking forward to Rudy and Barr being indicted. laugh In case those of your reading this post are not aware, a federal court this week said that Bill Barr lied about the contents of the Mueller Report (say it's not so! coffee ) and misrepresented what the Mueller Report actually stated.

smile
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/09/21 12:53 AM
I guess we had better explore the Republican strategy and execute them before the administration changes.
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/09/21 02:14 AM
That's what I like another modest proposal, but I would just add putting a stake through through their hearts. We dont want any zombie Rudys or Jaba the Barrs running around.

Tat
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/09/21 11:26 AM
That's what I like another modest proposal, but I would just add putting a stake through through their hearts. We dont want any zombie Rudys or Jaba the Barrs running around.

Tat
But the sign at the zoo says, “Don’ jabba de bars!”
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/15/21 03:54 AM
Strange story: Watch from 48:35.

PBS Story
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/16/21 01:30 PM
Just goes to show that dextro and levo isomers have different properties.

If ya catch my drift!

TAT
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/17/21 01:20 AM
If you think about it, those shoes probably floated along upside-down with the ankle-end leading because of the currents. So the handedness of the shapes acted like little rudders steering either left or right relative to the current direction.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/17/21 09:28 PM
Something not well-publicized: Israel bombed the building in Gaza that had the AP and Al Jazeera offices in it. But they actually called everybody and told them in advance! They evacuated the building, and then the owner called and asked them not to do it. They told him they would give him 10 minutes to go and check that everybody was out of the building. 10 minutes later they started their attack with a small drone. Then a bigger drone. Then planes dropping bombs. As a result, nobody was even injured. Pretty damned civilized, if you ask me.

I understand the Palestinian frustration with all the restrictions put on them by Israel, but you would think the Palestinians would figure out that every time they shoot rockets into Israel they come off much worse than Israel. But I suppose it's a Hamas PR stunt. Unfortunately, it gets people killed, and many more killed in Gaza than in Israel. I grieve for the ordinary people of Gaza, but that's ultimately what happens when you choose bad leaders.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/18/21 01:59 AM
I suppose bombing civilian targets could be described as “civil”...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/18/21 02:58 AM
It's impossible to separate civilian and military targets in Gaza by design. That building also contained Hamas offices. Hamas intermixes with the civilian population to generate the maximum number of civilian casualties when Israel attacks.

Israel did one thing to try to prevent injuries to civilians: They spread warnings about a ground invasion to get all the Hamas soldiers into their underground tunnels. Then they bombed the tunnels with ground-penetrating weapons to blow them up. They knew Hamas would not let civilians into their tunnels.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/19/21 06:10 AM
The New York AG's office sent a letter to The Trump Organization today to inform them they have joined forces with the Manhattan DA in the Trump investigation, and that is is no longer just a civil investigation. That means it is also criminal, and people could end up going to jail or state prison.

As I've posted in the past, this has all the signs of a RICO case. This is used against organized crime gangs, where the boss never sends written instructions or makes public demands that his gang members commit crimes, but simply "makes it understood" he wants certain things to happen. Trump is very careful with his words, but all his coconspirators know exactly what he wants. The legal requirements for RICO status are quite minimal. Like at least two people working together to commit more than one crime. The Trump gang has hundreds (thousands?) of people working together to commit hundreds (thousands?) of crimes. So far there are about 400 insurrectionists charged!
Posted By: TatumAH Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/19/21 01:20 PM
REGULATORY ENFORCEMENT UNDER NEW YORK’S MARTIN ACT: FROM FINANCIAL FRAUD TO GLOBAL WARMING

There is also a lot of talk about the use of the Martin Act in the investigation and possible prosecution of financial AND real-estate fraud by New York State miscretins. My New York State taxes in action! smile grin
Here is much more than most want to know about the Martin Act, including why some consider it too broad and powerful, even compared to RICO. Apparently just the threat of a Martin Act investigation often lead to instant agreement to large plea bargains. nono grin

TAT

NEW YORK UNIVERSITY JOURNAL OF LAW & BUSINESSVOLUME 14
SUMMER 2018 NUMBER 3
REGULATORY ENFORCEMENT UNDER NEW YORK’S MARTIN ACT: FROM FINANCIAL FRAUD TO GLOBAL WARMING
RICHARD A. EPSTEIN*INTRODUCTION. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .806I. THE UNLEASHING OF THE MARTIN ACT. . . . . . . . . . .807II.
THE MARTIN ACT,THE COMMON-LAW ACTION FOR DECEIT, AND THE FEDERAL SECURITY AND EXCHANGE ACTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .819A.
The Origins of the Martin Act. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .819B.
The Common Law of Deceit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .822C.
Basis of Liability: Fraud, Recklessness, Negligence,and Beyond. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .823D.
Statements of Fact: Materiality, Omissions,Opinions, and Predictions. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8291.
Materiality. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8302.
Omissions. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8363
Statements of Fact and Opinion. . . . . . . . . . . .8384.
Predictions. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .844E.
Causation. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .845F.
Privity. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .849

The Martin Act
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/25/21 03:34 AM
Merrick Garland's DOJ filed a notice of appeal saying the United States Department of Justice hereby appeals to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia the ruling of Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who had ruled that a memo written in the Trump Justice Department for Attorney General William Barr must be released. Then-AG William Barr relied on the memo in deciding against prosecuting Donald Trump for obstruction of justice.

The Biden Justice Department is now protecting that memo through the appeals process, trying to keep it as an internal memo. Why Merrick? Hmm
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/25/21 10:33 AM
Seems researchers found low levels of SARS-COV2 RNA in frozen Barcelona wastewater samples from March of 2019. Apparently there were several serious "flu" cases there around that time, which may have actually been Covid-19 cases. This pretty much blows up the "China Virus" theory. Instead it might be The Spanish Virus. The reason they first noticed it in Wuhan might simply be because they had a decent virology lab there!

Researchers have been studying Spanish bats for a long time. They do carry corona viruses, and are thought to be the possible original carriers of both SARS and MERS. They actually harbor a lot of viruses: Like rabies, dengue, hantavirus, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile.

The intermediate animal might have been a domestic cat, since they are know to catch bats, kill, and eat them and are also known to be infected by the SARS-COV2 virus.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 05/28/21 09:15 AM
Another interesting fact: Essentially every camel in Saudi Arabia either has MERS antibodies or is carrying the virus itself. They are the animal reservoir. Every human case can be traced back to a camel. Like SARS-COV2 except 35% lethal! Another big difference is humans tend not to spread it to other humans. SARS was a spillover of a bat virus through civets, and then into humans. HIV was a spillover from chimps. Ebola was a spillover from monkeys or apes (and again a bat virus).

Zoonotic spillovers happen all the time! Considering there is no actual evidence SARS-COV2 was a lab creation, virologists think it was just another natural spillover. It might take a decade or two to find the bat virus. Not unusual, because there are a LOT of different bats all over the world, and collecting throat swabs from them and sequencing them is difficult, dangerous, and costly.

A big part of the problem now is humans keep on getting on airplanes and spreading viruses around the world. For example: MERS case in South Korea, with the virus sequenced and found identical with a camel MERS variant.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/01/21 04:15 AM
Respectfully remembering our fallen military and community heroes on this day, Memorial Day 2021,

Bow
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/01/21 04:26 PM
Twitter user @retro_ushi_, who identifies as trans and queer, made a video of another boater harassing @retro_ushi's boat because the boat was flying the Pride Flag. The offending boat then spontaneously caught fire and blew-up.

"These people harassed my family because we were flying gay pride flags in Moses Lake, Washington, by racing around us and shouting gay slurs. Then, their boat literally blew up! #KarmaIsReal," reported Seren Morris. "They added: 'And just ONE more tidbit to really drive the karma in there. The driver literally s*** his pants and everyone saw when his shorts fell off in the water.'"

Karma is real. laugh

Twitter

Newsweek
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/04/21 02:17 AM
Good smiting, God!
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/04/21 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
It's impossible to separate civilian and military targets in Gaza by design. That building also contained Hamas offices. Hamas intermixes with the civilian population to generate the maximum number of civilian casualties when Israel attacks.

Israel did one thing to try to prevent injuries to civilians: They spread warnings about a ground invasion to get all the Hamas soldiers into their underground tunnels. Then they bombed the tunnels with ground-penetrating weapons to blow them up. They knew Hamas would not let civilians into their tunnels.

Never forgot Benjamin Netanyahu having the gall to come to our country and undermining a sitting president by giving a Republican-sponsored vanity speech to a Joint Session.

Hmm
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/04/21 04:09 PM
Hamas intermixes with the civilian population to generate the maximum number of civilian casualties when Israel attacks.

Many people are saying that antifa and BLM do the same thing!

Trying to make the apartheid state of Israel sound humane in their careful and judicious bombing of the occupied territory is pretty pathetic.

They have become the Nazis who once tried to exterminate them.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/04/21 05:11 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/05/21 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Greger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's good to know... thanks for the heads up! Don't forget, both sides do it!!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/05/21 02:57 AM
I'm not trying to justify anything Israel does. I'm just pointing out that Hamas' tactics get innocent civilians killed. Shooting their crappy missiles into Israel ALWAYS results in a lot more Palestinians be killed than Israelis. A whole lot more. There have to be some better tactics.

I would love to see either a two-state solution in which Israel stops occupying Palestine, or a one-state solution where Palestinians all become Israeli citizens and can create a coalition government with the Israeli liberals. Instead conservatives want to keep on fighting an eternal war because either actual solution would strip them of power.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/05/21 03:17 AM
What ever happened to 90 day psychiatric holds for delusional people who present a danger to themselves or others? I think there's a whole bunch of these folks running around loose right now. Get out the men in white coats, round those loonies up, and pump them full of Thorazine. After 90 days, they can figure out who's still crazy and who has some connection to reality so they can give those guys ankle monitors and prescriptions to chase away those voices in their heads.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/06/21 04:58 PM
What ever happened to 90 day psychiatric holds for delusional people who present a danger to themselves or others?

Mostly they are for 72 hours.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/06/21 05:03 PM
I'm just pointing out that Hamas' tactics get innocent civilians killed.

And I'm just pointing out that it is Israelis who do the killing.

I'm sure if the US was under occupation by a foriegn power everyone would lay down and do exactly as they were told. We would patiently await a one or two state solution where we could become second class citizens in our own homeland.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/07/21 03:23 AM
They are second-class (or lower) citizens now. Either solution would be much better. Certainly it is Israelis who are killing them. Us sitting here agreeing that Israel is doing bad stuff does not get fewer of them killed. Israel needs to get out of the occupied territory, and stop blockading and worse to Gaza. There can never be peace until they do.

But in the meantime, people in Gaza are shooting BB guns at guys across the border with Uzis. Not smart. This is like sending the Kurds to fight Iran. It's just going to piss them off, and you never get to a peaceful solution agreeable to both sides. And agreement is critical, if you want peace to last. Seen Israel and Egypt fighting lately? No because they agree that peace benefits them both.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/07/21 03:49 PM
Seen Israel and Egypt fighting lately? No because they agree that peace benefits them both.
Is Israel also occupying Egypt? Stealing Egyptian homes and farmland, Blockading Egypt so that food and medical supplies can't get in?

is Israel shooting unruly Egyptian school children for throwing rocks at their oppressors?

Israel has been relentless and has shown no signs over the decades of improving the situation. Who will fight for Paalestine when the United States has thrown their entire military might in support of Israel?

Hamas cannot fight Israel, all they can do is try to call attention to their plight in hopes that someday someone will help them.

You might as well blame American Indians for the loss of their own homeland Blame the Indians for the broken treaties. Blame the Indians for the deaths brought on them by the White men. Because they dared to fight back against impossible odds.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/08/21 12:48 AM
I agree with you: Clearly Israel is the bad guy here. As you say, "Hamas cannot fight Israel", and yet they keep trying. Every time they try, their own people suffer. As you also said: "all they can do is try to call attention to their plight in hopes that someday someone will help them." I think they need to do a better job at that. Shooting rockets into Israel just gives other countries an excuse to ignore them.

I want the situation to improve. Cursing at Israel will not make the situation improve. What might make the situation improve is if a lot of other countries in the world refused to deal with Israel enough so they elected less conservative leaders who would make peace with the Palestinians, withdraw from the occupied territories, and start helping them instead of blockading them.

A lot of the hellhole conditions in Gaza are caused by the Israeli blockades, that Israel justifies because Hamas keeps on smuggling in stuff to make rockets.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/08/21 12:56 AM
Mean vs marginalized and dumb... who's gonna win?
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/12/21 04:12 AM
...marginalized, dumb, aggrieved and victimized - THAT is Trump's cult in a nutshell.

smile
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/13/21 03:05 PM
I'm reading a very interesting book - The Ministry For The Future, by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's sort of a sci-fy/psy-fi about climate change.

Highly recommended...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/15/21 01:37 AM
Saying it's about "climate change" is like describing the holocaust as "hazing". I like the part where the lady asks if they should think about killing enemies of the human race, and finds out her organization is already doing that! Very discretely, of course.

I can think of a few nominees, myself.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/16/21 12:25 AM
Discretely, or discreetly? Could be both, I reckon.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/17/21 12:54 AM
I actually have a Two Degrees of Separation connection with Kim. One of my very long term buddies is connected to him by marriage somehow. I forget the exact details. Love his books. He also writes stuff about Antarctica expeditions, Davis, California, and the UCSD research community and surrounding tech startups. My wife attended Davis Vet School, and I have gone on a Scripps Institute expedition in the Far North, worked for UCSD, and worked at some of those tech startups myself. I'm a bit surprised we never met.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/23/21 12:21 PM
The Purpose of Humanity
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/23/21 08:00 PM
This is actually pretty important:

Free Speech Applies To Kids

This Supreme Court decision says students have First Amendment rights, and as long as their social media posts don't disrupt their school much or indicate cheating, bullying, and such, they have the same rights as an adult. Now of course, this will probably only apply to public schools (since the 1st Amendment just says what governments can't do). Private schools will be free to violate their student's rights all they want.

The Supreme Court actually overturned an appeals court ruling that said schools had no right to do anything about off-campus student speech. Instead they said the same rules apply for students as any adult: They have Freedom of Speech, but no shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater. If their expression actually does harm, then they are responsible for doing that harm. So schools need to show harm, like the "standing rule" in federal lawsuits, if they want to punish student speech. No: "It pissed off the coach, so you are suspended."
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/26/21 01:16 PM
Welp, it looks like Rightwingers anti-regulation policies, including policies of inspecting buildings once every 40 years have come back to roost. This does suggest that Rightwinger policies are dangerous to your health and well-being.

Hmm
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/26/21 07:58 PM
Republican's ideal state: Government does nothing and their infrastructure crumbles. Sea level rises, hurricanes get worse and more frequent, and soon South Florida will just be a sand bar.

Great story about a "good guy with a gun" saving the day by shooting a cop killer, and then the next cop who shows up kills him. Goes to show that being the "good guy with a gun" is a good way to get killed.

Good Guy Killed
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/26/21 09:55 PM
According to Zillion there was a 3 bdrm, 2 ba condo sold on 05/17/21 for $710K at the Champlain Towers South Condominiums. I have a feeling there is a real estate inspector and a real estate appraiser about to lose their jobs.

https://www.zillow.Com/homedetails/8777-Collins-Ave-APT-910-Miami-Beach-FL-33154/44016251_zpid/

That condo is worth nothing now.

Hmm
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/26/21 10:55 PM
Naw. That's what insurance is for. And between insurance and the inevitable law suits, all survivors and the families of the squashed will do fine. The interesting action will be between the insurers and the company that owned the building. If that was a tenant-owned HOA, it will end up with people suing themselves!
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/26/21 11:02 PM
There is obviously an HOA involved.

Imagine if the majority of residences voted-down making necessary repairs? Or the HOA Board recommended getting second opinions and delayed action?

There was a 2018 Engineering study that said the building was sinking annually since the 1990s. I wonder if the HOA included that in their disclaimer to the May 2021 condo purchasers?

Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/27/21 04:55 PM
It's a good thing that Flor-i-duh eliminated all those “job-killing regulations.”

( Too soon? coffee )
Posted By: jgw Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/27/21 05:37 PM
given that the majority of land in Florida seems to be limestone, and seawater continues to rise, I wouldn't be real anxious to build a house there, let alone a multi-story building. Lots a brave folks living there, I guess.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/27/21 10:47 PM
The majority of land in Florida is "well above" sea level. But we have a f*ck ton of expensive coastal property that will be inundated within the next century.

Folks in the keys know that they'll be the last generation to live on those islands.

It's an old building...codes weren't all that stringent back in the day...I suspect salt water intrusion got into the re-bar in the foundation....once that goes concrete crumbles like a cookie.

All it takes is for one column to buckle, then the rest goes like dominos.

Florida has steadily updated its building codes, maybe today they'd require galvanized rebar...\
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/28/21 12:18 AM
They had plenty of warning. Crumbling concrete columns visible in the parking garage with exposed rusting rebar. New cracks in the pool area slab radiating from the old cracks that were repaired with epoxy. Time to sell and move folks! Or at least move out, rent it out, and get a ton of insurance.

I wonder if they could rehabilitate some keys by shrinking their area so they were higher. Like they dredged up those artificial islands in the Arab gulf states. Of course, they don't get hurricanes.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/28/21 12:07 PM
8777 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL: Payoffs and shoddy work

That tracks. coffee
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/28/21 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Greger
... maybe today they'd require galvanized rebar...\
I'm guessing epoxy coated.

I'm placing my bet on a sinkhole!!!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/28/21 09:05 PM
There are a lot of ways you can strengthen or modify concrete so it's more resistant to decay. Every concrete company has several. The builder just has to specify what they want in the mix, and pay a bit more. They go right in the concrete truck and get mixed in on the way to the job site. It's amazing how much better they can make it than the cheapest patio slab concrete. They can also add calcium nitrite, to eliminate rebar corrosion from chlorides in the concrete.

I wonder if they can use other materials for rebar, that can't corrode. Like carbon fiber.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/29/21 04:27 AM
116-degrees when I got off from work today. I felt like I was living in El Lay again. crazy
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/29/21 12:04 PM
I wonder if they can use other materials for rebar, that can't corrode. Like carbon fiber.
Carbon fiber would be great, though currently cost prohibitive. The addition of carbon to the concrete mix, in the forms of CO2 and biochar, are proving to be beneficial in several ways, including high early strength and durability - it’s also a way to sequester atmospheric carbon for long periods.

Air entrainment in the concrete is also a formulation that has been established commonly over the past several decades, reducing weight while decreasing water permeability and improving resistance to cracking and spalling.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/29/21 01:22 PM
Oddly enough, this week in southwestern NM feels like Seattle - yesterday the high was 66 and it was raining lightly.
Posted By: jgw Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/29/21 05:09 PM
I heard somebody say that the people, in the building, had been paying the owners one million dollars a year for building upkeep. He pointed out that nobody seems to have figured out where that money went. I am not a real big fan condos.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/29/21 05:54 PM
Per Zillow, Apt 910 which closed escrow on 06/17/21 (not 05/17/2 as previously noted), the monthly HOA is $876 per unit. Not sure how many units there were in the building. Hmm But, if the monthly total did run $1M a year, that is only for general maintenace (pool upkeep, grounds upkeep, keeping the building looking fresh and crisp.) For major repairs that would be a "special assessment" which is a separate bill from the monthly HOA dues.

From what I read, as a result of the 2018 Engineering Report, each unit was facing $200K to make the needed major repairs to address the concerns of the 2018 report.

This morning on NPR, the guy who wrote the "inspect once every 40 years" regulation was interviewed. NPR asked him, why do you think once every 40 years is acceptable? The guy said, that was for a major once-overw and that buiilding ownews would of course, maintain their buidlings more often than once every 40 years.

ROTFMOL

Puh-leeze!!!!! crazy Cheap and chintzy building owners in red states are not going to do more than what is required. Is this guy serious?!? rolleyes
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/30/21 03:01 PM
There wasn't a "cheap and chintzy building owner" involved. It was a condominium. Owned and maintained by the residents.

The building sat on top of deep pilings, sunk into limestone. I imagine those pilings are completely intact. It was the area beneath the pool deck which has most come into question. Corrosion, cracking, spalling...

Something caved into the basement/parking garage below the pool deck and the rest pancaked down on top. Nobody in the 80s was taking any special precautions about protecting re-bar or special additives to strengthen the concrete in cheap-assed condos.

Regulations and building codes were lax back then. Not so much anymore.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 06/30/21 03:12 PM
Oddly enough, this week in southwestern NM feels like Seattle - yesterday the high was 66 and it was raining lightly.

It's been a lovely summer here, so far. Lots of clouds and rain, cool breezes, pleasant mornings and evenings. June is gone...two months to go...Talked to my youngest yesterday, it was hotter in Maine than it was here.
Posted By: perotista Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/01/21 03:03 AM
It's been kind of like spring here, highs in the 80's, lows in the 60's. For the last couple of years we've had cooler summers and milder winters than normal. I'm fine with that. We normally get a week of 100 degree temps, but it's been at least 4 years or more since that happened. I looked it up, 24 June 2016 was the last time it hit 100 where I live.

many places up north have had hotter weather then we've had in Georgia. High for today 86, low for tonight 66.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/01/21 04:04 AM
The shiz just hit the fan. The Grand Jury just indicted the Trump Organization and CFO Weisselberg. He's scheduled to surrender tomorrow morning at the DA's office. The organization will be represented by a lawyer. This will get all of Trump's loans called. He's out of business and on his way to bankruptcy. He's had companies like Trump University and the Trump Foundation indicted before, but never the parent company. More than ever, no lawyers will want to represent him, since they will never get paid.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/01/21 04:50 AM
Welp, Donald Trump did brag about not paying taxes like a gossipy middle school girl running her big mouth, unable to keep a YUUGE secret. coffee
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/03/21 01:08 PM
....and speaking of running the mouth like a middle school girl, Eric Trump was on Fox News whining about the "politicalized effort" to hurt the Trump Organization.

Eric accused the Manhattan's DA office of "focusing on $3.5 million to take down a political opponent" as he insisted "crime 'is rampant" and people are leaving "dirty" and "disgusting" New York City "in record numbers.'"

Eric even went a step further by weighing in on the alleged scheme the company is accused of. He dismissed the allegations describing the alleged kickbacks as nothing more than "employment perks." But that's conceding exactly the point at issue: The Manhattan DA argues that the Trump Organization paid Weisselberg using these "perks" - such as renting him an apartment in New York City and leases on Mercedes Benz one for Weisselberg and one for his wife - to compensate him and avoid paying taxes. That's a crime, and calling the non-salary benefits "employment perks" doesn't reduce culpability. Eric simply confirmed the prosecutors' account of events.

Hmm

Doug Thompson once wrote of a politico as "having diarrhea of the mouth." The same can be said of this inept Trump Org nepotism hire, Eric Trump.

smile
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/03/21 03:31 PM
Massachusetts police responding to group of 'heavily armed men' claiming to 'not recognize our laws'

..."during a motor vehicle stop, several heavily armed men claiming to be from a group that does not recognize our laws exited their vehicles and fled into the woodline" near Interstate Highway 95.

The incident unfolded around 1:30 a.m. when a state trooper came across a group of 8 to 10 people refueling on the side of the I-95 highway in Wakefield, a suburb of Boston. The group was dressed in military-style uniforms, carried tactical gear like body cameras and helmets and had long guns slung over their shoulders.
Intelligence Agencies are hearing chatter of a 1/6 redux when "Trump is re-instated" in August. Crazy right-wing crackers think that Trump is going to be POTUS again.

coffee
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/04/21 05:50 AM
That's great if they are going to wait until Trump is "reinstated", since that is never going to happen. He might get reelected in 2024, 2028, etc. but "reinstatement" is not a real thing. Well, in Cloud Cuckoo Land it might be, but most of us don't live there. I think this mass delusion might be a side effect of Covid-19 brain infection. The percentage of the population that believes these impossible things happens to be about the same percentage of Covid-19 victims who end up with one of more Long Hauler symptoms.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/04/21 10:08 AM
Here's my new signature line:
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/04/21 11:58 AM
Said Stormy, “It’s not just a bruit;
His hands and much else are minute.
When he showed me his willy,
I laughed myself silly;
It won’t even stand and salute!”

-Steve Benko, New York, New York
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/05/21 02:51 PM
This will get all of Trump's loans called. He's out of business and on his way to bankruptcy.

Nope.

He's heading for a 2024 re-match with Biden.

Weissenberg is headed to jail though. For crimes the HE committed as CFO.

**edit** Love the new sig line!
Posted By: jgw Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/08/21 06:32 PM
Unless he testifies against his Lord and Master............
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/09/21 06:50 PM
We'll see what happens when Ivanka gets indicted. She did a lot of the same stuff as Weissenberg, and I doubt she would spend a day in jail to protect Daddy Trump.
Posted By: jgw Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/10/21 05:39 PM
i think we all want all suits against Trump to move right along. Trump has a long history of being sued and then having his attorneys slowing down the process to the point where they they just seem to go up in smoke. I suspect we are on that train again but, this time, I think we all think that's not gonna happen.

All I can say is that we should all cross our fingers because Trump has a lot of experience with this and its worked for him!
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/10/21 08:30 PM
We'll see what happens when Ivanka gets indicted.

LOL

I'm betting she doesn't get indicted. The press pumps shite like that up like it actually might happen.

Ivanka will have her corporate shields in place just like papa had Weissenberg.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/13/21 05:02 AM
Been in Chicago for the past week. Had some awesome meals. Also, saw Barack and Michelle's official portraits at the Chicago Institute for the Arts.

Best breakfast:

Omelette with figs, scallions, applewood bacon, and Harvarti cheese.

Best Dinner:

Buttermilk fried chicken with maple glaze, sautéed brussel sprouts with pumpkin seeds, mustard vinegarette, and topped with shaved parm cheese.

Honorable mentions:

Cheesy grits
Crepes with sautéed mushrooms, cheddar cheese and avocado

smile
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/13/21 09:26 PM
You must hang out in better places than I do. Never got anything like that the last time I was in Chicago! Did get to see the coal mine in the Museum of Science and Industry. My dad and my wife's mother were both from the greater Chicago area, so she still has some family there.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/14/21 02:24 AM
The only time I was in Chicago was to visit a violin making school to sell some spruce tonewood to the students. Also went to a wedding in Oak Park?

It was a long time ago on a road trip with a pickup load of Montana rednecks. I don't remember if we had any good food, but I do recall us singing a rendition of "Another One Bites The Dust" at the reception.
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/16/21 10:37 AM
Made some great slow-cooker pulled pork last night. Goes with the coleslaw I made the day before. It takes a couple of days in the fridge to develop the right crunch. That's more my speed when it comes to gourmet cooking. I can't even remember what we ate when we were in Chicago last time, but it was definitely simple Midwest home cooking.

Do they have some kind of veneer peeler to get the violin wood so thin? My mom was first violin in the Indianapolis Symphony about 80 years ago, and I always was amazed by how thin her violin's wood was.
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/16/21 12:48 PM
Do they have some kind of veneer peeler to get the violin wood so thin? My mom was first violin in the Indianapolis Symphony about 80 years ago, and I always was amazed by how thin her violin's wood was.
The belly and the back are carved by hand from a solid block of wood and the thickness varies all around the ‘plate’ to enhance its physical ability to vibrate. Some places have to be left thicker for strength, such as where the soundpost goes - the soundpost is a round stick that is placed under the foot of the bridge on the higher frequency side and its dual purpose is to transfer vibrations to the back plate (normally hard maple) and to keep the top plate (nearly always spruce) from collapsing under the pressure exerted by the tight strings through the bridge.

Thinner plates are better acoustically as they are more responsive to amplifying the vibrations created in the strings, but too thin results in a lack of long term strength and durability, so the maker has to use best judgment to find an optimal compromise. As the plates are carved, the maker will frequently hold them between thumb and middle finger at a point known to be relatively neutral to vibrations, thumping the plate in the area where the bridge will go, and listening to the tone for both pitch and quality. When it’s “right” (a very subjective determination) the maker stops carving. Yet another element affecting strength and tone is the bass bar, a strip of wood that is glued longitudinally under the other foot of the bridge and serves as a truss to support and distribute the load caused by the strings. It can be ‘tuned’ as well by modifying its dimensions - hide glue is used for all joining as it can be softened with a bit of water and parts can be disassembled for repair or adjustment. I’m a viola player and had always been disappointed by the response of every instrument I had played to C-string vibrations, so when I was helping a luthier buddy to build me a viola, I had him ‘tune’ the bass bar to the pitch of an open C. I assume it worked because it was the best viola for lower register responsiveness and tone quality that I have ever played.

One more design element that most people have no clue about is the decorative wood inlay that runs all around near the edge of the top and back plates. It’s traditionally made from three strips of wood - maple sandwiched between ebony. It’s inlaid in a groove rabbeted into the plates about half the plate thickness deep and located above the joint where the plates are glued (with hide glue) to the sides (ribs) and it functions as sort of a hinge to accoustically decouple the plates from the ribs.

The whole assembly is a hollow sound box and the shape and volume of the interior is also important and makers are alway playing with that variable, too. The F-holes, or sound holes are there to eliminate back pressure from the compression waves that are set up in the enclosed air. People like to say that they let the sound out, but in reality they reduce dampening of the compression waves, which would also dampen the vibration of the plates. It is the compression waves generated by the plates that make the sound that people hear.

As Clem would say, “That right thar is a full shitload o’ injuneerin’!!”

Instruments can be mass produced but their sound qualities and responsiveness are invariably thick and dead.
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/16/21 02:36 PM
Now that I am back, I've been busy with work and closing escrow on a house. The house is literally three houses from the beach. I'm at a higher elevation than my two neighbors as well. The rising oceans will need to wipe-out these two properties, before I'll have beach-front property.

smile

You must hang out in better places than I do. Never got anything like that the last time I was in Chicago! Did get to see the coal mine in the Museum of Science and Industry. My dad and my wife's mother were both from the greater Chicago area, so she still has some family there.
I just Googled Chicago breakfast and Chicago dinner, read the menus of the restaurants that came-up in Google and decided where to eat. Hmm

Places where I ate:

Yolk
Had the West Coast Crepes with cheesy grits

The Dearborn
One night I had the buttermilk chicken with maple glaze, mashed pots, and sauteed brussels sprouts (sauteed brussel sprouts, pumpkin seeds, mustard vinegarette, parm cheese)
Another night: Had the Dearborn burger and truffle fries

Wildberry Cafe
Had the Napa Valley Fig omlette with Blueberry Danish speciality pancake instead of toast.

laugh
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/16/21 02:37 PM
Made some great slow-cooker pulled pork last night. Goes with the coleslaw I made the day before. It takes a couple of days in the fridge to develop the right crunch.
How do you make your coleslaw?

Hmm
Posted By: pdx rick Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/16/21 02:53 PM
The only time I was in Chicago was to visit a violin making school to sell some spruce tonewood to the students. Also went to a wedding in Oak Park?

It was a long time ago on a road trip with a pickup load of Montana rednecks. I don't remember if we had any good food, but I do recall us singing a rendition of "Another One Bites The Dust" at the reception.
Chicago is a great city, contrary to what Conservatives have to say about it. Michigan AV is pretty. The east side of the street is all green-belt and museums. Lots and lots and lots of museums.

The west side of the street are the fancy hotels and stores.

As a side note, Trump's Chicago Tower isn't even on Michaigan AV. It's on Wabash - one street west of MIchigan AV. It's like the difference between Broadway and off-Broadway. Guess Trump isn't that rich after all.
shocked

I stayed at a hotel in-between State and Wasbash - so I was 1.5 blocks from Michigan AV. One day I was walking to Michigan AV and I was standing in the middle of Wabash and I looked North and saw "TRUM" (no P). Is that the Trump Tower I thought? It was.

You couldn't see the "P" in Trump until you were 1.5 blocks from the building. I was probably 12 blocks from the building, initially. The letters are at least 5' tall. Why wouldn't you move the word Trump to the left about 4' so you can see "Trump" from 12 blocks away? Hmm

...just goes to show how things like this lack of attention to detail is why Trump is an incompetent failure in life. Seriously! rolleyes
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/17/21 06:15 AM
My coleslaw is just chopped green cabbage and a bottle of Marzetti's coleslaw dressing. I add a sprinkle of celery seed. I can't make better myself, and I've tried. It's the best I ever had besides the little Jewish deli I used to go to when I was a kid. But they are long gone.
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/21/21 04:30 PM
My recipe is pretty similar. I use a dry mix that comes in an envelope.
Just add mayonnaise and cabbage.

These days I just have a tub of grocery store coleslaw delivered.

I tried for years to make my own but never could get it to come out right.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/22/21 12:52 PM
I want to share because it's a wickedly funny one-liner BURN from an outside forum. eek2 gobsmacked

"Oh, this is Republicans’ fav pastime: kill other people’s children, then give their widows standing ovations at baseball games."

---[user]Aunt Antifa

LOL ROTFMOL :applaud:
Posted By: logtroll Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/22/21 11:48 PM
Well, gawdammutt... freedumb ain't free, ya know!!
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/25/21 10:37 AM
California needs to actually do something about their water supply problem. They are now talking about cutting off Central Valley farmer's water supply. This is some of the most productive agricultural land in the US. The state needs to build a lot of desalination plants all along the coast. The Carlsbad plant has several years of experience of producing 50 million gallons of pure fresh water per day. My water district buys part of their output, and note that the California Water Authority has no plans to cut water for San Diego.

Now there certainly is some stupid water use in Central Valley agriculture raising crops that require a lot of water, like the almonds that are mostly exported to China. But I think the growers could actually change their prices enough to cover their water costs of a changed model that does not depend on Sierra snowpack. We have thousands of square miles of desert East of the Sierras and Southern mountain ranges, that have extremely abundant sunshine. PV panels are the cheapest way of generating electricity now, often as low as 2 cents per KWHr. We could build those solar farms, the transmission lines needed to carry the power to the coast, and the desalination plants to make the fresh water. This would give us a totally-predictable water supply.

Instead of two desalination plants, we should have 30. Pumping the water to the Central Valley would be pretty cheap, as most of the Central Valley has low elevations. Done right, we could even run the canals now carrying water South backwards. Sending it that way would actually be downhill!
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/25/21 06:57 PM
It's another can kicked down the road, another infrastructure failure across the board.

So the billionaire class can rake in more cash.

Rate we're going California's gonna be dunes before they get more built.

And it's such a beautiful self-sustaining system...
Posted By: Greger Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/25/21 07:13 PM
We've got horrible water issues too, there are literally cities and developments built on top of land drained by the corps of engineers.
Land that really wants to be underwater about half the year, it backs up into lake Okeechobee where it stews and ferments, then it's released into fisheries on both coasts causing killer algae blooms. Governor DeSantist was gonna fix it before he turned all stompy and Trumpy.

Sea level rise being what it is...we need to build a f*ck ton o' them things and pump it all inland!

The Salton Sea could be a sea again!

These are the wonders we should have left our children...
Posted By: pondering_it_all Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/25/21 10:36 PM
Just checked and apparently we have 11 desalination plants operating in California, though Carlsbad is by far the biggest. Poseidon is opening a new bigger plant in Huntington Beach that will be the first to use carbon-neutral energy, and their Carlsbad plant is going to be going to that shortly. One of the biggest objections of anti-desal activists is their concentrated brine effluent causing environmental damage, so the Carlsbad plant draws in enough sea water to dilute their brine to 20% more salt rather than the usual 50%. Natural salinity varies from 28% to 37%, depending on latitude, so 20% enriched brine does not make much difference and dissipates quickly.
Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas Re: Roundtable for Spring 2021 - 07/26/21 12:18 PM
California needs to actually do something about their water supply problem.

I necroed the thread from six years ago in honor of Scoutgal, which is where we left off the discussion back then.
Re: California Drought, Grapes of Wrath in Reverse?
The drought and desalination definitely deserve their own thread and that is how I discovered there already was a very good one, started back around the last time the drought began to get severe.
© ReaderRant