Love loveth best of all the year
October's bright blue weather.

Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
(Click on the Pic)

This Week in History

October 3rd

1954 - One of the favorite TV shows of our time was first seen on this day. Father Knows Best began its long run on CBS, then made the move to NBC in 1956.

1995 - In a Los Angeles courtroom, O.J. Simpson was acquitted of the June 12, 1994 stabbing deaths of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and waiter, Ronald Goldman. Simpson smiled and nodded toward the jury, saying “Thank you, thank you.”

October 4th

1957 - The first Earth satellite was launched into space this day by the Soviet Union. The craft circled the earth every 95 minutes at almost 2,000 miles per hour. Sputnik I fell from the sky on January 4, 1958.

1970 - Janis Joplin died from a drug overdose. She was 27. Joplin, known for her passionate, bluesy, vocal style, was the lead singer of Big Brother and the Holding Company. She became a superstar with hits like, Down on Me, Pearl (her nickname) and Every Little Piece of My Heart; but Me and Bobby McGee was her only certified top 40 hit. The Bette Midler movie, The Rose, was based on Joplin’s life.

October 5th

1989 - Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso), was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for nonviolent efforts to free his homeland from China. The Committee’s citation read, “The Committee wants to emphasize the fact that the Dalai Lama in his struggle for the liberation of Tibet consistently has opposed the use of violence. He has instead advocated peaceful solutions based upon tolerance and mutual respect in order to preserve the historical and cultural heritage of his people.”

1989 - Former evengelist, Jim Bakker, was convicted by a jury in Norfolk, VA of bilking 116,000 P.T.L. (Praise the Lord) TV show followers out of $158 million. Bakker was released from prison in 1994 after serving five years of his 45-year sentence. During his jail stay, Bakker’s wife and former co-host Tammy Faye divorced him.

October 6th

1927 - The first full-length talking picture, The Jazz Singer, opened in New York City.

October 7th

1940 - Artie Shaw’s orchestra recorded Hoagy Carmichael’s standard, Star Dust -- for Victor Records.

1982 - "Cats" opened on Broadway.

October 8th

1935 - Wedding bells pealed for a singer and a bandleader who tied the knot, making radio history together. The bandleader was Ozzie Nelson and the singer was Harriet Hilliard.

1944 - The first broadcast of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet was heard on the CBS radio network. The show would continue on radio until 1953 and on ABC-TV from 1952 to 1966. “Hi Mom, Hi Dad, Hi Dave, Hi Ricky.”

October 9th

1855 - The sewing machine motor was patented by Isaac Singer of New York.

1872 - The first mail order catalog was delivered. It was only one page. It was sent out by Mr. Aaron Montgomery Ward of the famous Montgomery Ward catalog and department stores.

Color Your World

[Linked Image]
Woodstock, Vermont

Hi Everybody...Long time, no see! Have been super-busy working and also directing a show. All will calm down at the end of this month.

I'm posting the new opener early tonight because I'm having a hard time staying awake. laugh I'll leave the last Round Table open for now, in case anyone has more to add.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

AN

Welcome back! What show are you directing? You can't beat Fall in New England.
Wonderful opener, AN! ThumbsUp
Good Early Morning,

Just checking in to see who's hanging around. Tonight in the Aktion Club. It is a club for mentally challenged adults. We have people in group homes who come who are both MI and MRs. I found out last week that as in all things, there is prejudice. The MIs think they are superior to the MRs and can be quite cruel.

Tonight I am in charge of the program. I have Kazoos. If anyone has any lesson plans for Kazoo fun, please let me know.

Kathy
>I have Kazoos

Gesundheit!
Originally Posted by churlpat lives
>I have Kazoos

Gesundheit!

Danke! grin
Well God Bless both of you. I found lesson plans. Wish us look with the MIs and MRs tonight.

Kathy
Welcome back Noami. smile

Your absence had not gone unnoticed.

(...now to round-up Mellow and her cohort Olyve wink. Pro'lly on some 'Thelma & Louise' adventure. Watch out boys - better treat those two ladies right - or they'll turn you from a rooster to a hen with their razor sharp wit. LOL )
Saw Ben Affleck's The Town yesterday with dad. It was a GREAT movie.

...as an aside, Ben Affleck is sooooo handsome in the movie, and John Hamm - smokin' sexy hot! Bow
Originally Posted by california rick
. . . they'll turn you from a rooster to a hen with their razor sharp wit.

Capon truckin', ladies!
Hahaha.....I love that, Rick! *smooch*
You WILL of course let me be Louise?
No? I didn't think so.... cry You know how I love Susan!
I have to be the ditzy one. Sheesh.
LOL, I do love ya.

Churlpat, you came on in! Welcome. I saw you hanging around on the side. Looks like you've taken the leap. I look forward to your posts.

I'm here. I just overwhelmed with life stuff.
I gotta do some reading to get caught up. Maybe tonight.

First quick look at the opener....it's beautiful.
Letter response of the day
Originally Posted by Schlack
Great response - even greater comments section. smile
Originally Posted by olyve
Of course!

That then means, by default, Ms. Mellow would be 'Thelma' and, quite frankly, no Ranter can seriously picture that - not even in pretend. wink

Sorry Olyve! Hmm
Of course!

That then means, by default, Ms. Mellow would be 'Thelma' and, quite frankly, no Ranter can seriously picture that - not even in pretend. wink

Sorry Olyve! Hmm
I know! cry

Hey wait a minute!
You mean to say you can picture me as being more like Thelma though?? eek
Yes, I can see Mellow and Olyve as Thelma and Louise! LOL

BamaMama~how did the Kazoo Koncert go?

It's been cold and rainy here in SoCal. We need the rain, so I can't whine too much. Getting my home decorated for fall and Halloween today. ThumbsUp
From the Williams Institute (UCLA)
2010 RESEARCh BY ThE
WILLIAMS INSTITUTE ShoWS:
� An estimated 66,000 lesbians, gay men,
and bisexuals are serving in the U.S.
military, accounting for approximately
2.2% of military personnel.
� A persistent and significant wage
gap exists between heterosexual
and LGBT employees. For example,
government LGBT employees earn
wages that are 8-29% lower than
their heterosexual counterparts.
� Same-sex couples face higher lifetime
tax costs than their heterosexual
counterparts. The estate tax disadvantage
alone has cost same-sex couples more
than $3.5 billion during the past decade.
� In the nation�s largest study, the
17- year-old children of lesbian
parents were found not significantly
different from the children of
different-sex couples in their
mental or emotional development.
� If the FDA lifted its prohibition on
gay men from donating blood, the
nation�s blood supply would have
more than 219,000 more pints of
blood each year, helping to address
chronic shortages.
Phil:

You want to increase blood donations? Great idea. Yes, let gay men donate. The testing of donated blood products is universal and of extremely high quality.

But if you really want to increase blood donations, just give every blood donor a tax credit of $25 for each time they donate blood or other blood products. The conventional wisdom is that the Red Cross and other blood banks do not outright buy blood because of the demographics of those who are currently interested in selling blood. That would include people who would lie to get that $25.

But a tax credit does not convert into cash that can be taken immediately down to the local bodega or crack house. I donate three units every two weeks, 24 times a years, two platelets and a plasma, and the $25 would just about cover my gas costs since I have to drive almost 100 miles each way. Not that I am complaining, it's the only way I get to see a movie!

But I can assure you that there are a lot of other people who would begin donating regularly in exchange for this inducement. And once you make something a habit it's easier to keep doing it.
Okay, I'm not arguing anymore about Libertarians (which I am not one of) until my opener is finished for Sunday. So far it's a dud and Almost Naomi's is gonna be a hard act to follow.

Greger~I have faith in you that you will come up with something spectacular. You always do! ThumbsUp
Indeed.

Joined a gay bowling league last night and bowled my first three games in about 10 years. No, I wouldn't think of revealing my score, but I did improve as the night went on.
I used to bowl. I was never very good, but I enjoyed it. I can't do it anymore, since I damaged my rotator cuff in my right arm. frown
Originally Posted by Scoutgal
It's been cold and rainy here in SoCal.
What?! It was 81 degrees here in beautiful NorCal yesterday.

Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Joined a gay bowling league last night...
'Gay' or Leshomo? Hmm

We gotta get you signed up for gay rugby or baseball. smile
Yes, Rick and down here as well. But Scoutgal was correct at the time. We went from 113 a week ago Monday, to rain by Wednesday through Friday. But we are going back up the thermometer this weekend and the following week into the 90's.

Only in SoCal?
Yeah...you're cute and I'm sure you'd love the wash-board stomach of a Brad Pitt kinda-guy. Hmm
We haven't had rain for a couple of weeks. Right now, we're in the best time to be in NorCal - October.

By-the-way, the Navy finally arrived. I've been anticipating them for two weeks, now.

I now have it down:
  • Folsom Street Fair, then...
  • Castro Street Fair, then...
  • Fleet Week
...we wouldn't want our Armed Forces in San Francisco during those un-godly, hedonistic venturous weekends, now would we? smile
Rick, maybe you'll grt lucky and find a nice polar bear or grizzly(bears who like water) amongst those sailors! laugh ThumbsUp
Rick, maybe you'll grt lucky and find a nice polar bear or grizzly(bears who like water) amongst those sailors! laugh ThumbsUp
I'd actually prefer the solo Marine who is assigned to the ship. wink

Never been into 'navy' guys...Marines? Yummy. smile
Yeah...you're cute and I'm sure you'd love the wash-board stomach of a Brad Pitt kinda-guy. Hmm
Why thank you dahlin. blush laugh
But it's just that I love Susan Sarandon so much and she's really hot!
But yeah Brad Pitt is no throw away.
I'd actually prefer the solo Marine who is assigned to the ship. wink

Never been into 'navy' guys...Marines? Yummy. smile

Semper Fi. ThumbsUp
But it's just that I love Susan Sarandon so much and she's really hot!
But yeah Brad Pitt is no throw away.
I like Susan Sarandon too. (...too bad bad 'bout her and Tim tho' frown )

Yeppers, Brad is a keeper. wink
Semper Fi. ThumbsUp
Semper Fi! Bow
© ReaderRant